Silas Marner

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

burlyman
What the f**k? im doing this in english....

anyone care to enlighten me?

Tela<3sHaldir
I curse that book to damnation and back. I had to read it english too. It's exactly like a soap opera.

burlyman
its a bonfire of words... half of which she made up

it seems utterly pointless

badkittykitty
what? she made up words and you have to read it...how is that learning? do you have to do a essay or something on it...maybe I can find ya some hot links.

burlyman
weve only just started it... but i will...

it doesnt make sense though

Tela<3sHaldir
silas gets blamed for a crime his "best Friend" does. He moves to raveloe. In raveloe the ,ost popular familay is the Casses. The father is Squire Cass and he's the most famous. Dunstan Cass is the youngest brother and he steals his brother's, Godfrey, horse before killing it in a riding accident. Godfrey is the oldest and he secretly marries a girl name Molly against his wishes. later he marries Nancy, but on the night of their engagement Molly dies in the snow with Godfrey's 2 year old daughter in her hands. Silas finds the girl and adopts her naming her Eppie. Sixteen years later Godfrey tells Nancy, they try to get eppie to live with them but she won't. Silas takes Eppie back to lantern yard, where he was to begin with, but it's gone. Eppie marries Aaron Winthorp. Godfrey confesses to the world in his will that Eppie is his daughter.

burlyman
confused why would someone write about that

Tela<3sHaldir
So that the maws of heck (Skewl) can use it to brainwash the youth of today, so they'll conform and quit having individuality.

badkittykitty
good job on your description Tela&lt;3sHaldir,I dont think this book sounds fun one bit!

burlyman
yes

burlyman
wow weve read it all and it actually makes some sense in my head now

but, why did she write a book about that

i have to write an essay on the themes of justice and redemption used in the novel.....

badkittykitty
well burly if you ever see this thread again,how did it go?

burlyman
I handed in my draft and the teacher said "it's potential A grade stuff" big grin

burlyman
I got a 50 eek! which is an A* big grin

burlyman
does no one care sad

badkittykitty
awhh! I care..congratulations! smile

Tela<3sHaldir
way 2 go dude. I still hate that book

burlyman
thanks big grin

yeah book sucks mad

big gay kirk
Sorry to say this... I like Silas Marner... the simple plot and transparent morality thread aside, the book is well written, and entertaining... without people like Eliot and Elizabeth Gaskell, and of course the Brontes, all we would have in Eng Lit would be shakespeare and (the gods help us all!!) the sub-Mills and Boon rubbish of jane Austen...

shaber
Hey, that book was good, if over saccharine and when I was seventeen, the other boys in my year agreed!

shaber
You've missed out all that about the gold horde and Dunsie stealing it!

*Georgina_A*
Originally posted by burlyman
What the f**k? im doing this in english....

anyone care to enlighten me?

I'm doing it for English now, and I'm not enjoying it...

Have to finish it for half term *sigh* sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.