Population of Zion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

godfather

JediHDM

godfather

The Omega

godfather

Ushgarak
What is all this 2 or 3 kids nonsense? Even in the modern day there are plenty of places were a mother having 8 or 9 or more kids is common.

Just start upping the numbers, you'll make it up without difficulty. 1% of the human race can be freed; it might be thousands each year even with limited ship numbers. I do agree though that Omega vastly over-estimated the amount trying to free humans. Only people on ships can usefully do that- the amount involved in logistics would not be greatly significant to these numbers. By the time of the films that is hundreds at most.

The bigger problem is that 24 people is not enough for a truly diverse gene pool.

I dont' get how they would start off with 23 people and how they would not remember what happend or the story that Zion started with only 23 people wasn't passed on, etc. Am I slow or something? I just don't understand it in a way.

JediHDM
remember this?

"When the Matrix was first created, there was a man born inside, who had the power to change anything he wanted, to rewrite the Matrix as he saw fit...It was he who freed the first of us..."

that is the entire explanation in a nutshell, thanks to Morpheus...

mors823
I don't thin it's 100 year, maybe 200. Didn't Morpheus say that it was some time arounf 2199. Maybe I misheard, but that will make Zion 200 years and that's enough time to reach 250,000. I might be wrong, though.

Ushgarak
It's 100 years- Morpheus says that is how long they have fought the machines. As for the literal date, remember that all humans have that all wrong.

Trinity_Matrix
Plus the fact that the Architect said that they were in the (I believe) 6th version of the Matrix...but yeah, I think that 250,000 in 100 years is perfectly feasible.

godfather
that would be true if it was not if it was not for new people being added in to pool because of being released from the matrix, also most of the people in zion do look rather stupid, maybe because of the inter-breeding wacko lol

and I was only working it out with every woman having 3 children as an average, in my calculation every female ever to go to Zion had 3 children, of cause this would not happen, some would not(or could not) have children, some would have only 1 and some would have 6-7, it was just an average. But even when I worked it out with 5 children for every female it fell short of 250,000. And if some thing happened to the first 16 females to go to Zion like Disease or one or two where unable to have children, or died before having them then the population would struggle to grow very fast at all. I just think to get a population of 250,000 there would need to start off with more females or have more than 100 years to do it in.

Ushgarak
No, you misunderstand me. I said there are places where having 8-9 children is NORMAL. Small family sizes are a symptom of a heavily populated world.

You need to increase the AVERAGE family size to 8 or 9 children, like it would have been for most of human history, though more would have died back then. This is still far closer to the average in the developing world, and for many Catholic families in the developed world it is not abnormal. It would be the same, at least, in Zion.

JediHDM
ok, i made a little Excel document, that shows how big the population of Zion could get within 100 years, assuming all the women of 18 years or above get pregnant as soon as they have a child, all live until the age of 60, the original people that were freed were 20, and without anyone being saved from the matrix, and by the sixth generation, there would be a potential of over 15 million...now, i know that this is a very extreme circumstance, however, it proves that it is conceivable to have a population of 250,000 in Zion in 100 years...and before women start flaming me about the fact that women are not going to have ~40 children in their lives, i know, that was not the intention, my intention was to show that 250,000 is a very reasonable number for the population of Zion.

godfather

JediHDM
well, i believe in the Bible, so i don't think very long at all, but that's just me...of course, i don't believe the earth is older than perhaps 10,000 years, either...

but back to topic, no, mine did not include anyone being freed. It was very unbelievable, but it does show that it could, concievably, have 250,000 people in Zion...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.