biology

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot

Ushgarak
Blimey, GL and Dutch, eh?

yerssot

Ushgarak
yeah., I knew the Vader thing

My biology is EXCEEDINGLY rust; Edan will know better. Chloroplasts?

yerssot
nah, chloroplast is something different, don't ask me I had 5.5 on that one

LaurenE147
If the thing you're talking about is the energy maker of the cell, then the translation is mitochondrion. I think the guy that discovered cells was Dutch, so a lot of translations are similar.

jedi212guy
Does that mean that we have the force-potential in us? Now all we need is a Jedi Master to teach us how to use it...roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
I have arrived.cool

yerssot
well, they are in every cell, like midi-chlorians....
But we don't know (or I don't know) if they have powers...

LaurenE147
As has been said before at this forum, the thing that makes Star Wars fans cooler than Star Trek fans is that Star Wars fans know it's not real.
But then again telekinesis is real.

The exact definition of a mitochondrion is: eukaryotic membrane-bound organelle in which food molecules are broken down to produce ATPs (energy molecules);contains highly folded inner membrane that produces enrgy-storing molecules.

ToMacco
And another reason Star Wars fans are cooler, is because I'M one of them! You're all cooler for being like me. Now let's go to the bar, yerssot's buyin'!cool

Texas
I'm surprised Yersott was even allowed to step foot in his Bio class, with his striking teachers and allstick out tongue

King Jedi
Maybe there was no teacher. Yerssot was taking the class.smokin'

yerssot
well, it gives energy; like the midi-chlorians

LaurenE147
It's interestin that you noticed the similarity between midi-chlorians and mitochindrions. The idea for midi-chlorians probably came from there. Midi-chlorians give you control over the force which is like an enrgy source and the motochondrions create enrgy. That sneaky George Lucas

yerssot
well, that makes me figure: what is also in a cell that can be used to support the Force?

Dim
Okay, the other thing about mitochindrions that makes it "special" is that it has it's own DNA and that DNA is passed only through maternal lines. I also want to say that it's that that at one time the mitochindrions was an independent cell but through evolution it developed a symboitic relationship with other cells ...but I have to check my facts on that one.

Now, the thing with the DNA only being passed though maternal lines is interesting because it makes me wonder if GL would take it that far or if he decided to make some kind of weird twist like because Anakin only has a mother could he then pass on his midis to his kids where as normal men couldn't?..I don't know..it's a thought though.

King Jedi
It's a thought that's two complicated for me.sad

Ushgarak
That doesn't scan, Dim. You are not born with midi-chlorians that cause your Forcr potential. You are born with Force-potential that attracts the Midi-chlorians.

yerssot

Ushgarak
Absolutely not the other way around, no. Midi-chlorians are a symbiotic lifeform that live in harmony with the environment around them; they could not possibly create that environment in the first place.

If someone has Force Potential, this will be shown by the large amounts of Midi-Chlorians that have become resident in his or her body, attracted by said potential.

Not only is this explnation in keeping with the natural basis GL used for their idea, if it uis the other way around you get stipid scenarios in which people think injecting people with MCs will give you Force powers, or silly stuff like that.

No. The MCs are a symptom, not a cause- but Force potential is useless without them.

yerssot
ah! I see!

but with the DNA and stuff isn't it like a little lifeform of itself so you can compare it more to an desease?

Ushgarak
Well, that would be a cruel comparison. loads of stuff lives in our body without us calling it a disease, but it may well follow similar patterns anyway.

yerssot
because you are Force-sensitive you have a lot of midi-chlorians...
what I ment was:
if you don't dress warmly in winter you get a cold...

Ushgarak
True; but if you are in the artic you will never get a cold no matter how cold you are...

yerssot
no, you will freeze to death wink

but what I ment was that it is LIKE a desease

Ushgarak
Yeah, sure. Actually, I'm not 100% sure why I said that.

In any case, the other major difference between them and a disease is their symbiotic nature; we rely on hem as much as they rely on us.

yerssot
didn't QGJ said a thing about symbiotic and midi-chlorians?

Ushgarak
Yes; he goes as far to say that life could not exist without them.

yerssot
yeah, because there couldn't be energy for the cells...

Dim
How do you know, Ush?..GL hasn't addressed it.

Ushgarak
The nature of that comment of his is left untold. They live in us because of the Force; he gives us no idea what we need from them.

Ushgarak
Because it is the only way that makes logical sense, Dim. Really, no other explanation scans at all. As I described above. GL's symbiosis link is very clear.

King Jedi
Yip. He's right. I never understood this for a long time but found a site on this which expains it all.

You're born with force potential.
The midi-chlorians are attracted to you and enter your body.
Midi-chlorians need the force to survive.
The Jedi find other Jedi by testing for midi-chlorians.
The more you have then the more force potential you have.

And through the midi-chlorians Jedi get a greater understanding of the force as they "constantly speak to you, telling you the will of the force" as Qui-Gon put it.

So midi-chlorians need the force, and Jedi need midi-chlorians to help them understand the force.

Ushgarak
I imagine, KJ, that the idea that is was the other way around horrified you as much as me; people saying that if you get a blood transfusion from a Jedi you steal their power, and so on...

King Jedi
Well I thought it was that way round for a long time, until I found some sites which explained it.
Now that theory sounds like something out of the EU.

yerssot
but it isn't.

I'm thinking; what is also a biology-think in SW?

King Jedi
I'm not sure what you mean?confused

yerssot
well, you have midi-chlorians, now ... what's next?
I heared that McCallum said that they will explain the force more so perhaps again biology???

King Jedi
I don't think so. I think the only biology we'll see is from the cloning. That has to be explained at some point.

yerssot
well, does this mean that the cloning will be the same as here?

King Jedi
I think it will be along the same lines. But cloning here has never been 100% successful.

yerssot
what about Dolly? Is something wrong with her?
and I guess the growing-rate won't be the same

King Jedi
Dolly the sheep aged 5 times faster than it should have. I think it's still alive but the last time I saw it on T.V had had lost most of it's hair and was very old even though it was only a couple of years old.

Cloning is meant to produce an exact replica but NO clone has been 100% successful.
I've seen pictures of cloned animals and they have been born with there stomach on the outside, legs missing, sometimes more limbs than the should have, they've been born blind, deaf and mentally ill. Some of the pictures are really shocking.

One cow had to wear an oxygen mask to breath because it's lungs were so messed up.

Maybe someone is trying to tell us something.

yerssot
ah! there IS an ageing-rate!

Ushgarak
I wouldn;t read too much into it, yerss. GL will just make up the science involved. Hence sci-fi, see?

yerssot

Ushgarak
I still don;t think there is much of a link there. Tjhose are parts of your body, while Midi-chlorians are seperate life forms.

yerssot
well, the name and the function resambles a lot like the ones in the human body...

Ushgarak
I have to disagree on the function.

yerssot
yeah,ok, the function isn't a 100% match
but if you look at it: it gives energy to the cell and has his own DNA-structure...

Ushgarak
Just about anything living has its own DNA structure...

yerssot
yeah, but I ment: it's very small and has his own DNA...
a thing that not many know...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.