How do you become a moderator?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chooks_on_toast
I've tried emailing, but hey, I didn't get a reply and it's be 2 weeks so I gave up on that. So I decided to ask like this after getting my post closed because it was on the wrong board. What qualities do you need to be a moderator? Active of course, losts of posts? A completely clean record?

I'm sure you have an inbox full of applications, but this is the only forum site I'm really interested in, and I would really like to be a moderator. But I know if I email you, you'll probably tell me you already have a moderator for that board or you don't need one or better yet, you probably wont reply. I don't wanna wait unil the yea 3000 for a reply either, I applied to be a moderator on another site, only to wait 6 months to be told "We cannot accept you as a moderator because we already have a steady number of moderators on this site"

I would like to know the bets way to become a moderator and at the same time a fast way. I know you must get hundreds a day and you have to consider everyone and you have to find the time to check them all and this and that... But if I'm going to have to wait until I've lost interest to get a reply thats probably rejection anyway, just tell me now. I want to know if this is just another forum site or if it's the great site I thought it was...

Godshinto
First you don't have much time on this board, second one of the only reasons you might have a clean record is because you have only made 10 posts. Plus you can't apply for that posisition actually asking for it dithers your chance of ever being a moderator, Raz hates it when people ask for it. So all I an say is become an active member of the KMC community. If he needs a mod there are a list of people he can pick from and anyone on these boars can tell you who they are.

chooks_on_toast
Firstly, I'm sorry if I was giving the impression that I was asking to become a moderator. I know saying "I had to ask like this" made it seem that I was asking to become a moderator, but I was simply asking them how to become one and what I would have to do to become one, not if I could be one. That WAS the TOPIC of this thread was it not?

Proof: I began by stating that I had asked this question in an email, then my first question, (the most pressing question) was 'What qualities do you need to be a moderator'. I would think as it was the first question on the board that it would be clear that I was asking THAT question.

Secondly, I never said I has a clean record, so you shouldn't have pointed the finger and said that I only have one because I've only posted 10 times. I asked what qualities you needed to have. I started by saying you have to be active of course, and then I continued with the question at hand, do you need a certain number of posts or a completely clean record. I think that was quite clear.

Sorry Raz, I wasn't asking to BE a moderator, I was asking HOW to be a moderator. Slightly different things...

Fire
lol how do you become a moderator, raz asks you wether or not you want to be one, not by telling him you want to be a moderator

Dexx
well..i'm sure you had all the best intentions by asking HOW to become one, when in fact you weren't planning on wanting to be one....yep...sure..sounds plausible.

Ushgarak
Heh... yeah... well, in any case, it is all pretty simple. If you become an established permanent member and contribute well to the board, then when Raz looks for new mods in future times you are simply more likely to be someone he either thinks is right for the job or is recommended to him by the senior mods for the job. Simple as that.

yerssot
this is pretty useless imho,

can a mod/admin tell me why this is open?

Phoenix
mostly I would say that the best way to become a mod is... don't ask to be!

Kes
Hey just posting and having fun worked for me wink You should try that.

yerssot
having f-un?

LanceWindu
Eh, it's not all that worth it anyways.

Captain REX
That's because you were fired. stick out tongue

Why do people keep asking? It's not like you get paid or anything! Just because you want the power to boss people around doesn't mean you'll get it.

Trust me, I waited 2 years. wink

yerssot
they threw you a bone, rex stick out tongue

Captain REX
I don't like bones, only meat. big grin

I think I only asked Ush about it once, but then I didn't ask again.

yerssot
ah, so it DOES work wink

LindsIsTightK
You applied to be a moderator on a website????

I didn't even know people did that. I thought all sites worked to where the administrator hand picked people out of the forum community to be the moderators.

Hmmm.............

yerssot
apperently not

Kes
I have fun here. I just dont have fun in RL!

yerssot
I'll do my best to change that wink

Captain REX
Of course you will... roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
at least I can drive over ... well.. someday

Captain REX
But...you're a program...unless you somehow infect my dad's car and drive to Portugal...

yerssot
I spread fast

Captain REX
Like a virus? stick out tongue

BackFire
Spend 2 years here.

LanceWindu
Yeah right Chris...

Look at all the n00bie Mods there are now.

yerssot
now, THEY are spreading big grin

Phoenix
do I count as a noobie mod?

yerssot
depends if you like being one or not wink

Phoenix
I like being a mod...

yerssot
and you're one! happy

badkittykitty
n00bie mods??? http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/paperbag3.gif

DeNiro
Really being a mod is no big deal like rex said if i was asked to be a mod of course i would take the job but really the only really cool thing to be is the admin i have my own site i mean its only got like 30 members and most of the members r people from KMC but still being a admin is kinda cool u got like a million buttons at ur finger tips and u can change what ever u want with out senior mods or admins telling u u cant do that

yerssot
"With great power, comes great responsibility" wink

Captain REX
No sh**...

yerssot
no, it's a quote

Kes
big grin Alright.*sits down and waits for yerss*

laughing

yerssot
well, run around till the end of the month when I'm going to try for my licence

Kes
Try for your license?!Oh boy this could take a while!

stick out tongue

Syren
lol!
i've been wondering where the creeps came when they wanted a moderator job, and now i've found it!
itz funny, i dont think i'd wanna be a mod, i have enuff trouble trying to get the morons in MY thread to behave, i dont think i could keep the whole site in check!!
laughinglaughing out loudlaughing
anyways, to all the existing mods, good job, this site is excellent, and to all the wannabe mods, stop brown-nosing and have fun!!
YEEEE-HAAAAA!!!!
PS: hey yerssot x

dublecee
can you be a moderator

Clovie
i can't.

Raz
We recruit moderators when we need them. There is no application form.

Currently we are all set for moderators, but thanks for the interest.

silver_tears
hysterical that made me laugh so bad embarrasment

Clovie
did i missunderstand the question? blink

lil bitchiness
That is SO gonna be the answer from now on to EVERYONE who askes about it! laughing out loud

Royal Knight
if you want to be a moderator make your own forum...stick out tongue

silver_tears
*follows RK's advice* droolio

dublecee
kay

mc pee pants
oh crap! i was gonna get me some ruby shoes and click my heels three times.

BlackC@t
Mc pee pants it won't work..........I've tried it.......stupid slippers! mad
*throughs them out the window*

BlackC@t
OMG Royal Knight I love the song Vindicated! eek!

Linkalicious
who the hell wants all the responsibility of being a moderator?

It requires too much authority...bleh. F*ck Authority! rock

A4E
last thing i wuldve imagined is link saying that

Royal Knight
I agree...I can see how the mods here and Raz have a lot of work to keep these boards up

Mandos
He didn't say that to me....

Paola
shocking you see that?

maybe I should stalk them to see that too eek!

Londonboy7
being a moderator is cool U can abuse power.

RoguePw25
ah, hun, I don't think that's the point in being a moderator. You don't abuse your power. You close duplicated threads, stop fights from breaking out and they merge threads together. THAT'S what being a moderator means.

Reborn Again
Correcto mundo. I used to be one on a movie forum. But there's more to the job than just stated above, there's formulating ideas to make the site better, and tons of other important stuff. It's not as easy as you might think.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, I work my ass off while tex orders me arroundsad

suckerevil face

mc pee pants
i heard Raz was gonna hold a mod training camp net summer. 150 pounds enrollment fee to join.

sexyking
I am interested in becoming a mod but just wanted to know whats steps need to be taken?

BakaXero
rule number one to becoming a mod, don't ask no expression
sorry you have failedmhm

PeterGriffin
No "steps" to become one...you can't just apply or anything.
For starters I think it depends on where you post, and what you post. The mods of different forums each have a pretty good knowledge of that topic....eg movies, games, music, comics, star wars, fan fiction...and then you have to be mature enough and responsible enough to use mod powers should you be asked to have them erm

BakaXero
Originally posted by PeterGriffin
For starters I think it depends on where you post, and what you post. The mods of different forums each have a pretty good knowledge of that topic....eg movies, games, music, comics, star wars, fan fiction...and then you have to be mature enough and responsible enough to use mod powers should you be asked to have them erm
i could have given a response like that to, but i decided to make it easy for myself.mhm

PeterGriffin
Dont try to steal my spotlight mhm

sexyking

Thanks

§P0oONY
Become Raz's groupie... stick out tongue

I'm pretty sure he's all set on Mods at the moment though. So I doubt he'll be hiring more for a while.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by sexyking
I am interested in becoming a mod but just wanted to know whats steps need to be taken?

Be a member for more than ten mins, don't ask, be a constructive member and help everyone...Raz'll close this soon.

Dusty
Don't feel bad. I asked to become a mod when I first joined. Well, I more so offered my services.

That's right.

BakaXero
Originally posted by Dusty
Don't feel bad. I asked to become a mod when I first joined. Well, I more so offered my services.

That's right.
some people will stoop to any level mhm
Dont try to steal my spotlight mhm
you can keep your stupid spotlight mhm

Syren

That's right.

You're active proof that asking can work eek!

Bardock42
I decided that now, would also be for me the right time to become a Mod, anyone disagree? YOU ARE WRONG.

El_NINO
Originally posted by sexyking

Have more than a couple hundreds posts... just throwing it out there

SpikeSpiegel

That's right.

Admit it, you held him cat hostage and sent him a ransom note demanding to be made a mod

TheKingofKINGS!
I personally think the OTF should have a specific mod, rather than just the globals, but that probablly won't happen unless the OTF gets really out of control.

Syren
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
I personally think the OTF should have a specific mod, such as Syren, rather than just the globals, but that probablly won't happen unless the OTF gets really out of control. I'd also like to add that I think Syren would rise to the occasion and make the OTF a better place overall.

eek!

(Note, I've never edited someone else's quote but I just couldn't help myself).

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Syren
eek!

(Note, I've never edited someone else's quote but I just couldn't help myself).

You're truely are society's *****... happy

Syren

§P0oONY
Did you actually type out those asterisks? confused

Don't believe I did.... but you'll never know... shifty

Edit: Just realised my grammar for the sentence... for shame on me.

Syren

TheKingofKINGS!
eek!

(Note, I've never edited someone else's quote but I just couldn't help myself). I was GOING to say that, but I didn't want Raz to get suspicious.

Syren
I was GOING to say that, but I didn't want Raz to get suspicious.

It's ok, Raz is twitterpated too stick out tongue

TheKingofKINGS!
It's ok, Raz is twitterpated too stick out tongue Twitterpatted?

Impediment
Twitterpatted?

1)to be completely enamored with someone/something. 2) the flighty exciting feling you get when you think about/see the object of your affection. 3) romantically (ahem)excited (i.e.: aroused) 4) the ever increasing acceleration of heartbeat and body temperature as a result of being engulfed amidst the exhilaration and joy of being/having a romantic entity in someone's life.

"When he smiled at her, the rush of warm, fuzzy, and excited sensations that filled her made her realized she ws completely twitterpated with this man."

Syren
laughing

TheKingofKINGS!
Originally posted by Impediment
1)to be completely enamored with someone/something. 2) the flighty exciting feling you get when you think about/see the object of your affection. 3) romantically (ahem)excited (i.e.: aroused) 4) the ever increasing acceleration of heartbeat and body temperature as a result of being engulfed amidst the exhilaration and joy of being/having a romantic entity in someone's life.

"When he smiled at her, the rush of warm, fuzzy, and excited sensations that filled her made her realized she ws completely twitterpated with this man." Ah, twitterpated.........well, Syren. dodgy

Syren
Ah, twitterpated.........well, Syren. dodgy

You can be twitterpated too, if you like eyes

ADarksideJedi

Keep your eyes open and your ears shut and you maybe one.I don't think people are just picked up when there is a opening in some sites I belong to they vote on who has the best answears to there little tests they make.JM cool

Syren
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Keep your eyes open and your ears shut and you maybe one.I don't think people are just picked up when there is a opening in some sites I belong to they vote on who has the best answears to there little tests they make.JM cool

Peter wasn't asking to be a mod.

Ears shut?

Like initiation tests, but for the mind and attitude rather than the body? Sounds intriguing. Odd, but intriguing.

TheKingofKINGS!
So yeah.....I used flitterpated today in real life.

Does that make me a mod. embarrasment

Prabhodh
So yeah.....I used flitterpated today in real life.

Does that make me a mod. embarrasment

Twitterpated mhm

TheKingofKINGS!
Shit....I guess not.

bogen
well i think we all got abit twiterpatted after syren posted a piccy of herself stick out tongue

st@rlight
I would be perfect for a moderatorsmileangel

Storm
faint

Impediment
laughing out loud

Strangelove
Originally posted by Storm
faint

ThePittman
pitt_blank

Syren
Originally posted by bogen
well i think we all got abit twiterpatted after syren posted a piccy of herself stick out tongue

Too shallow mhm

stick out tongue

drewbiefan
I know i probably would not be allowed to, but i would love to become one evetnually. I could be reliable.

TheKingofKINGS!
I'm posting now, in advanced, to Raz.

If you're ever drunk, or high, or delusional, and for some god forbidden reason consider me to be a moderator, know now that I will not..I repeat...NOT accept.

Regards,
KoK

Bardock42
I'm posting now, in advanced, to Raz.

If you're ever drunk, or high, or delusional, and for some god forbidden reason consider me to be a moderator, know now that I will not..I repeat...NOT accept.

Regards,
KoK

Sucker. It's power my friend...POWER.

TheKingofKINGS!
Originally posted by Bardock42
Sucker. It's power my friend...POWER. Yes, but with my lacidasical additude towards everything, KMC included, that power would be quickly revoked. It's better to avoid the chaos.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by drewbiefan
I know i probably would not be allowed to, but i would love to become one evetnually. I could be reliable.

Raz doesn't make 4 year old moderators... hmm

drewbiefan
I would not be on this forum if i was 4messed

§P0oONY
I would not be on this forum if i was 4messed

You mean you're not 4? confused

dirkdirden
Why would anyone want to be a moderator? It's like working for free. My friend is a mod for a different forum and he spends most of his life on that forum and doesn't get paid. A job without a salary doesn't make a lick of since to me.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dirkdirden
Why would anyone want to be a moderator? It's like working for free. My friend is a mod for a different forum and he spends most of his life on that forum and doesn't get paid. A job without a salary doesn't make a lick of since to me.

Some people already spend their lifes on here anyways.

Also, power...POWER!

Impediment

I won't lie: I'd love to be a moderator. But seeing as how I've been a member for less than 2 years, I don't think I deserve such a privilege.

It's not a very hard job, either. I wouldn't even call it a job. All you're doing is cleaning up the forums you already frequent and make sure that it doesn't get sloppy. Moderators don't have to be online from 8 to 5 or anything, moreso just remain as dedicated as ever and do their duties for the duration that they are online.

And FYI, some people don't spend "most of their life" in these forums. That's just a generalization, if you ask me.

§P0oONY
I won't lie: I'd love to be a moderator. But seeing as how I've been a member for less than 2 years, I don't think I deserve such a privilege.

It's not a very hard job, either. I wouldn't even call it a job. All you're doing is cleaning up the forums you already frequent and make sure that it doesn't get sloppy. Moderators don't have to be online from 8 to 5 or anything, moreso just remain as dedicated as ever and do their duties for the duration that they are online.

And FYI, some people don't spend "most of their life" in these forums. That's just a generalization, if you ask me.
I have to agree, with everything in your post. Mod work isn't very hard. I've never been a mod on a forum of this size before but it's never been strenuous.

dirkdirden
I wasn't saying it was hard work. But none the less it can be considered work even if only for a few hours a day. Beeping a moderator just doesn't seem that appealing to me.

§P0oONY
I wasn't saying it was hard work. But none the less it can be considered work even if only for a few hours a day. Beeping a moderator just doesn't seem that appealing to me.

It's not like you'd have to come on the forums when you wouldn't normally. You'd just post as normal but everynow and then you'd close and move a thread. It's nothing I'd consider work.

TheKingofKINGS!

And FYI, some people don't spend "most of their life" in these forums. That's just a generalization, if you ask me. Another thing, were I to become a moderator, some of the people in the forum(s) I'd moderate wold look to me as a superior, and act as though they couldn't discuss things with me, because I'm a mod. That is something I don't want.

And plus, the closing fo threads, and possible banning people would be a power I'd probably abuse.

§P0oONY
Another thing, were I to become a moderator, some of the people in the forum(s) I'd moderate wold look to me as a superior, and act as though they couldn't discuss things with me, because I'm a mod. That is something I don't want.

And plus, the closing fo threads, and possible banning people would be a power I'd probably abuse.

That's deffinetly one of the cons... A lot of people treat mods differently to regular members, they never go agaisnt what a mod says even when it's total bullshit.

TheKingofKINGS!

§P0oONY
I'd just hope not to be a global. If anything, I'd take the Harry Potter forum. There's a lack of action form the current mod, and it's not getting too much attention right now. It'd be easy until book seven comes out.

And if that would happen, the new mod could OTF without being held in to high of a regard.
But you'd have to live with the shame of being mod of the HP forum. stick out tongue

I doubt I post enough in any forum to be eligible for a position as mod. Maybe OTF but that doesn't have a moderator and I'm not known to be the nicest of characters in that forum.

Storm
It is not easy to moderate posts. No matter how hard we try to be tactful and as gentle as possible to enforce the rules, there will always be members who take any rule enforcement as invasive of their rights. Leading isn' t easy, nor is it always a thankful job.

§P0oONY
It is not easy to moderate posts. No matter how hard we try to be tactful and as gentle as possible to enforce the rules, there will always be members who take any rule enforcement as invasive of their rights. Leading isn' t easy, nor is it always a thankful job.

I imagine that is probably true... I've never really moderated a forum that has reached the public. The most members that have been on a forum I've moderated was like 500 and that was mostly just friends so there was never really a problem from the members. I imagine that a lot of members give mods shit for decisions that they disagree with.

TheKingofKINGS!

Captain REX
Star Wars Roots. w00t

I pushed for the creaiton of the General Fiction section, then frequented it the most out of anyone, so Raz offered me the spot.

Not saying that would work now or ever again, but it happened. ermm

Dusty
Because I know a lot about movies?

TheKingofKINGS!
Other than a hobbies/D&D type forum which Mist suggested, there's really no need for any more.

Flame On!!
Originally posted by chooks_on_toast
I've tried emailing, but hey, I didn't get a reply and it's be 2 weeks so I gave up on that. So I decided to ask like this after getting my post closed because it was on the wrong board. What qualities do you need to be a moderator? Active of course, losts of posts? A completely clean record?

I'm sure you have an inbox full of applications, but this is the only forum site I'm really interested in, and I would really like to be a moderator. But I know if I email you, you'll probably tell me you already have a moderator for that board or you don't need one or better yet, you probably wont reply. I don't wanna wait unil the yea 3000 for a reply either, I applied to be a moderator on another site, only to wait 6 months to be told "We cannot accept you as a moderator because we already have a steady number of moderators on this site"

I would like to know the bets way to become a moderator and at the same time a fast way. I know you must get hundreds a day and you have to consider everyone and you have to find the time to check them all and this and that... But if I'm going to have to wait until I've lost interest to get a reply thats probably rejection anyway, just tell me now. I want to know if this is just another forum site or if it's the great site I thought it was...

How do you become a mod?

I suspect lots of sucking (oooh so many meanings).

wink

- FO!!

Barker
Hmm..

I really don't see the point of your post.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Captain REX
Star Wars Roots. w00t

I pushed for the creaiton of the General Fiction section, then frequented it the most out of anyone, so Raz offered me the spot.

Not saying that would work now or ever again, but it happened. ermm
No Real Roots! w00t

I joined to see an attachment that a friend had in his MSN name...

I don't really frequent any forums, except OTF... And I'm totally ashamed of that..

Impediment
My KMC roots were the Horror Forums. Then I drifted into the Movie, Movie Trivia, and DVD forums, and then into the dreaded OTF.

Impediment
Leading isn' t easy, nor is it always a thankful job.

Well, let me just say that I appreciate your efforts.

Bardock42

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Bardock42
I heard good innuendos help, well, you kinda blew it there.

You are also not a Mod. And there's nothing wrong with the OTF as long as you don't post in there.
The point of my post was saying that there was no way in hell I'd become one. As I don't frequent any forums outside of the OTF.

Bardock42

Clovie
I will never be a mod coz Raz doesn't like me eek!

Bloigen
I'm already an admin, sort of like the puppet master. I control everyone on this forum, from general user to mod, I rule them all. 'course this is all in my head. BUT IT STILL COUNTS DAMNIT.

Syren
Originally posted by Clovie

You don't need to dig for compliments, enough people here do like you smile

TheKingofKINGS!
You don't need to dig for compliments, enough people here do like you smile They do?

I'm kidding....

Impediment
Originally posted by Bloigen
I'm already an admin, sort of like the puppet master. I control everyone on this forum, from general user to mod, I rule them all. 'course this is all in my head. BUT IT STILL COUNTS DAMNIT.

What is thy bidding, my master?

BakaXero
Originally posted by Clovie
I think we're in the same boat eek!
I must be fat cause it seems to be sinking fast messed

TOH
Originally posted by BakaXero
I must be fat cause it seems to be sinking fast messed
No thats not true. Raz loves everyone. He talks to birds, flowers, bunnies etc He has a flying umbrella and there is no place in his heart for such feelings... happy kirby_kiss

Clovie
You don't need to dig for compliments, enough people here do like you smile haven't noticed tongue10

Originally posted by BakaXero
I must be fat cause it seems to be sinking fast messed so we're drowning..but I bet it's my fault sad

§P0oONY
You don't need to dig for compliments, enough people here do like you smile

They do? confused

Just kiddin' clovie, you're alright in my book.

Bloigen
What is thy bidding, my master?

evillaugh

25 on Red 16.

drewbiefan

BlackC@
Why the frock was this revived?

Bardock42
Someone made a new thread and it was merged I believe.

drewbiefan
I am utterly confusedmessed

Bardock42
I am utterly confusedmessed

It is pretty easy, though.

Moderators are chosen by the Administrator (Raz). By what reasons he goes, I do not know. But I assume, presence, rule abiding, reporting and just general attitude. Also, they (we (KMC)) is at the moment set on Moderators. Or so it is said.

Also, who wanted to be a Forum Mod anyways. That's like slave work without being cool. No offense, you know I love you folks (slaves).

drewbiefan
I could prove to be reliable, as i am not what some think i am on herestick out tongue

Bardock42
I could prove to be reliable, as i am not what some think i am on herestick out tongue

Yeah, you could.

Give it some time.

Captain REX
Crack that whip harder, Bardy baby. wink

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>