Gothmog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sauron
recently i founf a rotk dedicated magazine in my grandas house, and apparently the orc who leads mordors forces to battle is called gothmog, now that is the name of the lord of the balrogs is it not?

and if so is this just p.j giving a nod towards other tolkien work, or is there an orc in rotk book actually called gothmog

(sorry to ask, just havent read the books in a while and i leant them to my granda)

TrixStar
Yes that is the name of the Lord of the Balrogs as told in the silmarillion

sauron
yeah i know ive read basicaly all tolkiens work, but i dont think there was an orc in rotk called gothmog, so is this p.j showing a sign of other tolkien works,

grishnakah
your right there isnt an orc named gothmog in the lord of rings unlesss its in the unfinished tales,,, maybee j.r.r was going to put this "gothmog" in but then decided not to like strider for example when tolkien first concieved the idea of lord of the rings strider or aragirn or elessar or what ever you want to call him was a hobbitt called trotter any way back to the point i dont recall reading the name but ill go and read through the unfinished tales know and see what i can find. big grin

turin
Well there is an individual named gothmog who was the luetenent of the forces that were held back in osgiliath for the sack of minas tirith (and luetenent of minus morgul), but when the witchking fell he took over as captain of the siege and sent all his reserves into the battle. now i dont know if he was an orc or naught since it no where says what he is. I always kind of thought that he would have been another wraith which if you look in "the complete guide to middle earth" it suggests that it might be. But again nothing for sure and from the sounds of it PJ made him an Orc. Who knows he could have been a man kind of like the mouth of sauron.

Exa
There WAS a Gothmog in RoTk... steward of Minas Morgul or something like that I don't remember exactly; at least he was lord of the Orcs at Pelennor.
But I think he isnt mentioned in the unfinished tales.

turin
ya i think the only time it mentions him is just that brief sentence in ROTK just after the death of the witchking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.