The Great Feat, yet ILLEGAL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

d8camjordan
ALL LINKS IN THIS POST ARE EXAMPLES AND ARE NOT EVEN WEBPAGES OR LINKS IN ANY WAY:

As I refeshed the page at dvd.starwars.com yesterday, I was reading TFN forums at the same time chatting with fellow refreshers and there were some people crying wolf "ITS UP AT THE SITE" and it wasn't. Finally it was up and I was excited as a mug (dont ask). So I got in the page EASY and had a fast download considering I was one of the first to get in I guess. Well I downloaded the trailer and watched it. Then I noticed the save drop-down tab wasn't there. I thought it was no big deal. So I went into CermWindows\Temporary Internet Files and sorted by size and the file was in text. I had never seen this before so I started to try to convert it several times in quicktime movie format. Then I proceeded to look at the code (not knowing what the heck I was doing lol). Well I gave up and left the Interactual DVD Player window open to play it. Well that wasn't good enough for most. Soon (eight hours later), small versions began to appear for DOWNLOAD at different sites at colleges (for example http://www.msu.edu/~shoan). That was an EXAMPLE...not real. Anyway, then some guy in TFN forums began to pass along a large version and then that led to mirrors at movie list and then it all broke loose.

Lucasfilm had this exclusive ONLY to dvd owners and look what the true Star Wars fans did. It is kind of ridiculous now.

And the funniest thing is when someone has a homepage at their university as a base address- for example John Link Smith at Texas State University. Some would post with the URL- www.tsu.edu/smithjl

Gee uh...that only lets Lucasfilm know where you are and who you are....duh

Lucasfilm is gonna be finding a lot of people starting Monday. Some have gone too far. Its all fun and games till the FBI walks up to your door or Lucasfilm sends you an e-mail. Or if you get a phone call. Lucasfilm made something for the fans with DVD's only and look what happens.

Dim
Oh they won't do anything but tell you to take it down and breath down your neck until you do.. It was like that with the story boards and scriptments too. They can blow it..they knew that this would happen.

yerssot
yeah, the scriptment! I mean, that is spread nicely now...
I think everyone has it now...

King Jedi
Well I'm glad that people got it because I wouldn't have been able to see it even though I bought the DVD.

yerssot
yeah!
You paid for the DVD but you can't see it because you don't have a DVD-ROM, for me that's just stupid!

Dim
It's blantant manipulation..

Ushgarak
I don't think so. I mean, you can't watch the film without a DVD player either. Buying the DVD gives you the right to view the site but they can hardly be blamed for the buyer not having the capacity to do that. It's just a product, like everything else.

yerssot
yeah! it's blament alright!

King Jedi
Well Lucasfilm wanted to reward the people that bought the DVD by giving them this exclusive site. I bought the DVD. In fact I bought two (one as a present) and I still can't get to that ite. That stinks so I'm delighted that people managed to copy stuff from the site.

yerssot
yeah, that's what I ment, good for GL to reward them, but the problem is that the DVD-ROM is in Belgium a no-hitter now... so now he's punishing us for that!

Ushgarak
I know it is tough on you, KJ, and I am glad you got the thing anyway, but in the end, when you bought the DVD you knew the deal; you also weren't given a computer to access the net with or a player to view it.

The right to view the site was part of what you paid for but I don;t see why they should be criticised because some people don;t have the capacity to take advanatge of that.

King Jedi
Then they should have put the trailer on the DVD. That would reward the people that bought it. The way it works now they are just annoying people. I've already saw two petitions that people are going to send complaining about it.
But it won't make any difference anyway.

Ushgarak
Of course people will complain; they always will when others have stuff that they do not.

Putting it on the DVD would have delayed the release by some considerable amount; furthermore, I think this is not the end of the continuous process of rewards for DVD buyers.

d8camjordan
reply to everyone-

?

yerssot
it's about the DVD-trailer:
if you have the DVD, but not a DVD-ROM, I think you still have the right to get the trailer!

mah
but how could Lucasfilms do that?

yerssot
serial number or whatever...
don't know, I'm not good at that!

jedi212guy
Damn right. I own the DVD, but not a DVD-ROM. What, does GL expect me to go out and but one just to watch a one minute trailer. Heck no!

yerssot
well, I don't mind the trailer, the way to get it...

Dim
Ush, don't be naive..it's a blantantly manipulative move to sell more product..that's why they put it on the DVD and then had it set up as a QT Pro download so you would have to buy those products to get access to it.

I think they should have put it in a more easily accessible format. But of course, they always take the way to make another buck off us instead of don't making it difficult, expensive and/or illegal for us to see this stuff.

d8camjordan
well are you the maker of the dvd?

yerssot
as a matter of fact; yes I worked on that

Dim
Pft..okay yersroll eyes (sarcastic)

d8cam, no..I didn't work on the DVD..but I know a classic marketing ploy when I see one.

keokiswahine
GL/LFL will squeeze every marketing $$$ out each product, as he needs that $$$ to fund the next SW ep, and other products. He's earned that right. How we enjoy the product is limited to our creativity. Not everyone can afford the toys to make everything work/happen, and GL/LFL knows that, too. They're just trying to keep control of their product and not lose $$$. Everything is "normal". big grin big grin big grin

queeq
Easy people. We all know this is just the beginning. big grin

Texas
I think Lucas could of made it harder to obtain illegally. Like for you people that dont have DVD ROMS, blue force lighting should of come through your monitors and shocked you into submissionstick out tongue evil face

queeq
And kill potential toy buyers? NO WAY!

Ushgarak
I am NOT being naive, Dim, you are just being illogical. GL provided us with a paid-for product on that disc. Those people complaining that they don't have DVD-ROMS are being very odd. As I say, you also have to have a player to watch the movie and a computer to access the net to access the site as well. Buying the DVD gives you the right to view the site, if you CANNOT do that it is NOT their fault! That is VERY odd thinking.

They did not decieve at any point. They said there would be exclusive web content via DVD ROM. You knew what you were getting. They have done NOTHING wrong.

And Dim, you do NOT need Quicktime Pro to view it; that's nonsense. You only need it to go through the dodgy process of leeching the trailer off the site.

Ratcat
Basically there are a whole load of people here blaming Lucas and in the process showing a bit of ignorance here...

YES, GL/LFL did put this DVD out with the added features, but LFL didn't come up with this idea. The whole InterActual experience has been in development for a while now and Episode-I is just another DVD in an ever expanding list that use it.

The whole problem stems from the fact that this is an emerging technology and not everyone is geared up for it. In a couple of years time this will be everyday stuff and we will all wonder what the complaint was about.

As far as moaning that you can't view it. THAT IS TOUGH. Anyone who brought the DVD knew in advance that they would need a DVD ROM to access the site. What? You didn't read the back of the box, well shame on you!!!

Don't come here shouting about how bad Lucas is for giving us extras just because you can't access them. It says on the box that you need a DVD Rom, it says you need a PC, it says you need Windows 95 or above. It says that it doesn't work with Macs.

If you failed to read that stuff before you handed over you money then that is just your sorry fault and you can't complain about it with any kind of validation.

Ushgarak
Thanks RC. I was beginning to feel like everyone viewed me as a bit of a git for disagreeing with them on this one.

Dim
PFFFTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! Whatever USh...now why do you think they made it so that you need to use QTPro to get it in the first place?..huh?...To get more sales of QTPro out of it..they could have just have easily made it avialable with Quicktime 5 but they didn't did they?..

And I KNOW that you don't need QTPro to view it...how do you think I saw it.

I'm sick of you telling me that I'm illogical all the timemad

Ushgarak
You do NOT need QT Pro in ANY way! The process that RC used to get is is very obscure and just happens to need QT Pro at some point.

Their plan was to stop ANYONE downloading the trailer- it was meant to remain on the site. RC found a way around that (with help from newsgroups). The last part of that needs QT Pro. They almost certainly did not realise this could be done. Even if they did, there is absolutely NO way that this was an official method.

NEEDING QT PRO WAS AT NO POINT PART OF THEIR PLAN!!! To describe it as an attept to get you to buy it is ludicrous and utterly without foundation.

And while you keep posting illogical stuff like that I will call it so. Check YOUR facts before you start moaning at me. You messed up there.

And why are you only getting at me and not RC?

d8camjordan
ya yerssot me too...i edited the documentaries for the ep 1 dvd

d8camjordan
Illegal- Prohibited by law.

61% of all U.S. citizens peforming illegal activities on their personal computers that are caught by federal or local authorities did not expect to be caught in the act. - Federal Bureau of Investigation

Safety from being caught shouldn't be an issue because downloading something illegally shouldn't be an issue.

Texas
Yes, get mad at RC tooevil face wink

DJ Velocity
Well I only saw the Breathing trailer about 2/3 days ago, and I haven't seen the new trailer at all, I can't even find it on Morpheous.sad

Ratcat
Feel free, at the end of the day I'd love some cry babies to come and try and explain to me why they feel they have been ripped off?

No one makes you pay for QT Pro, they provide smaller versions so you don't have to pay.
No one makes you buy the DVD, that's your choice if you choose to do so.
No one purchased a DVD without the information on DVD site requirements being readily available to them in one form or another.

Anyone who complains because they can't afford a DVD drive is complaining just to hear their own voice. It is like complaining that you can't eat in a posh restaurant because you only have enough money for a McDonald's...

As I said before, this is not a Lucasfilms specific issue. Visit the link below and look at all the other titles using the InterActual player. This is just a case of emerging technology. Some can afford it, some can't. That is a fact of life.

http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=ID

DJ Velocity
Ush man, easy son, shes had enough!!!laughing out loud
I thought you two where just playing. Are you?confused

C'mon Dim you know Ush is never wrong!!!big grin

King Jedi
RC what are you talking about "cry babies"? All I said was it stinks that I've bought two DVD's and still can't veiw that site. Even though it was meant to reward people that bought the DVD!
Or that's what they tell us.

You have to ask why they decided to do this? All of the stuff on this site will become available to everyone anyway. Thanks to people on this site I have everything from it anyway and it's only been a few weeks. So what was the point? To keep it exclusive for a few days? No, it was to make as much money as they could.

And I'm not criticising them for that. Lucas is entitled to make as much money as he can so he can keep making films.

I'm not being a cry baby. I have everything from the site anyway but I agree with Dim.

And USH how come anyone who disagrees with you is "odd".

Texas
I think non DVD ROM owners should be rounded up and spankedevil face

We all have seen the trailer right? Even those cheap people with no DVD ROMSevil face J/K, let's all hug and make up!smile

DJ Velocity
I have seen the trailer. It is good.

Ushgarak
Back that statement, KJ. I never said anyone who disagreed with me was odd. What DIm said was EXTREMELY odd, though, because it was just nonsense.

Don;t worrk, DJ, Dim and I have already talked it over.

KJ, yes, it was meant to reward people who have the DVD. But again, I repeat, they cannot help it if you do not have the means to take advanatge of that any more than they can help it if you don't have a DVD player or TV to watch the film with.

And while most of the net community may have nopw got the trailer, the vast majority of people (and I remind you, the vast majority is NOT into this whole net-tech thing like we are) will not see it without the DVD, which is their intent. So their basic idea still stands. They clearly only intended DVD owners to see the footage; that some people have breeched that is neither here nor there because that was their intent.

queeq
Which was a bit mean in the first place.

Ratcat
KJ, my point is that people who buy the DVD and then moan they can't access the site because they don't have a DVD ROm have NO RIGHT to moan.

They made a purchase knowing full well that they needed a DVD Rom drive, it's printed on the box from christ sake!

Moaning about it AFTER they have made their purchase is crazy and unwarranted. Perhaps those that bought it mailorder may have some case, but then they need to take that up with the mail order company.

And those that don't haven't brought a DVD, well they are the worse! Why they think they have the right to see the thing when they don't ant to lay down the cash is totally beyond me.

Ushgarak
It was maybe a bit mean, queeq. On the other hand, the principle that part of what I paid for gives me some exclusive previews seems fair enough. After all, you are going to have to pay to see the film.

queeq
Sure, but I think most non DVD SW fans DID watch the films a couple of times, bought merchandise and the VHS....

Ushgarak
So?

queeq
We spend enough money on SW to play such trickery, I think.

Ushgarak
Well, I think you spend enough to get what you get...

finti
So in your words RC, the people who dont own a DVD has to go out and buy a DVD player to watch this clips. What if he had some seral numbers on the video to access the clips.

Chile
Well,

it would be nice to see Lucasfilm come up with a better way to market to those without a DVD-Rom drive.

Having said that (and repeating what I posted on the official boards) can we just agree to disagree on this subject ?

big grin
Chile

ToMacco
I don't agree to that!wink

DJ Velocity
I have the DVD, but I don't have a player, yet.

I haven't once moaned about not being able to see the trailer but I am hardly going to defend Lucas' methods as strongly as you RC.

It is fair to say that people knew they needed a DVD-ROM, still, I think they have every right to complain.

Lucas could have given a serial number which could be registered along side your official site username to prevent mass duplication. This WOULD be rewarding DVD owners, but as it stands many DVD owners still haven't seen the trailer, where as many others, who haven't paid out, have seen it.

This is NOT fair.

This is, of course, my opinion!!!

Ratcat
You're all missing my point. YES, I agree that the method isn't perfect and does leave people somewhat stuffed if they haven't got a DVD Rom, however to moan about spending the money and THEN being disappointed, THAT is where I have the problem.

It was documented that you would need a DVD Rom, so to say things like.

"I paid my money and NOW I want to moan is ridiculous"

finti
No I didnt buy it, yes I have a DVD driver, no I aint moaning.
I relyed on downloads. Always someone who are able to make a download for everyone. I have EPI on VHS dont need another copy of it

Ratcat
Then strictly speaking you shouldn't get to see Mystery.

Strictly speaking of course.smile

finti
of course, but then again evil face and Razcool cool rolling on floor laughing and I did buy the VHS so Lucasfilms eat your heart outwink

King Jedi
It should never have been "exclusive" in the first place. I don't know what they were trying to do by trying this.confused

yerssot
to get some persons an exclusive thing

King Jedi
Why though? All it was ever going to do was annoy the people that can't see it. For whatever reason.

yerssot
well, you already knew that there would be problems...

Ratcat
It's called marketing! Some brainiac in Lucasfilm marketing probably though 'Hey! Here's an idea that's sure to piss off the fans.'

I never said it was a great idea and remember, I was the one who posted the HEX fix here so I'm not about to condone the way LFL market there products.

My whole point on this is that I can't stand it when people moan retrospectively.

Chile
Well

I'm quite satisfied with what came with the DVD. smile

However, I think the trouble started when the Marketing Division associated Exclusive Online Content for people who bought the DVD with the necessity for those same people to own a DVD-Rom drive.

If the content was only accessible because it was on the DVD, I might have had different feelings about the situation. Anyway, at least I asked for a method to prove I own the DVD to Lucasfilm for the content, heh.

I've yet to hear a response from Lucasfilm.

Chile

btw (and please edit this away if you think it's spam)

I'm in search of Star Wars game related fansites to host for free (only a few button links). A few of the Administrators (including me) from The-Group plan to slowly build a new community of hosted game fansites.

King Jedi
Who was moaning retrospectivley? I wasn't. All I said was it stinks the way they did it. I thought that before I bought the DVD and still do.

And I was an unlucky one who used mail order the week it was announced on sale so by the time I found out you needed a DVD Rom it was too late.sad

d8camjordan
i agree one hundred percent!

Ratcat
Sorry, my 'moan retrospecively' comment was not directed at any one person, but there is a lot of it about.

As far as mail order purchases go, if you have issue and you purchased via mail order then that is still not a Lucasfilm problem, it's the mail order company who failed to provide you with adaquate information about your purchase prior to taking your money.
(Assuming that they didn't mention the requirements)

Ushgarak
It certainly was an unexpected move for them to restrict the content so.

On the other hand, the principle of them charging for a preview of the new movie isn't THAT odd.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.