THE THIRD OFFICAL SIGNATURE MAKING CONTEST- Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Ok, there have been numerous requests for a third official sig-making contest.

I would like to use this thread to judge interest for a new one, and under what terms people want it done so that we can start it as soon as possible.

For reference, the last contest was an any-area contest with three awards, one for the best looking sig, one for the one we thought was best designed, and one for the one we thought was the cleverest. The submissions period was a month.

Do people want to stick with that or devise a new format?

Godshinto
As a participant last time I liked the last one but of course the first one wa my favourite, but with the new crew of Sig Creators I think that the rules from the last one should apply, we have artisitic creators and we have technical ones too.

Paola
great!! a new contest!! I'm not a sig maker but I enjoy seeing the work of everyone!! They're so talented!!

burlyman
big grin Id like to participate... yeah that sounds fine...

SpikeSpiegel
Yeah, I might participate...if I can be bothered to get off my f....wait I need to be sitting down for it...If I can be bothered to stay on my fat ar$e.

VallejoKid707
ill partcipate just for the hell of it.

LanceWindu
Can we have different categories to be judged in? Not a real overall winner?

Because I'd like to participate, but with Windows 98 Paint I cannot compete with Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro people.

Maybe have two different signature contests.

One for professional programs, and one for the default Paint program on Windows.

Ushgarak
That could be tricky to administrate; what do people think?

LanceWindu
Like...all the sigs go into the same thread, but the judges judge them in a different category.

I don't think it would be too hard,

O-Ren
Well, so that it's easier to run, I think there should be one contest, but instead of three categories, there be six categories. The original three, but incorporating Lance's idea. So...

Best Looking (professional program/photoshop)
Best Looking (Windows Paint)
Best Designed professional program/photoshop)
Best Designed (Windows Paint)
Cleverest (professional program/photoshop)
Cleverest (Windows Paint)

Also, I'd like to be able to participate. Is my signature enterable? Even though it's just a pic with stuff written above and below it? Or do the entires have to be completely new and original creations?

smokin'

Ushgarak
Actually, one of the conditions is always that the sigs are made specifically for the contest; anything being used as a sig before the closing date is ineligible.

Well, we COULD split each category in two like that... we'd need enough interest though.

Dexx
awwwh...*cries*..i really DO want to find the time to actually do a sig after all this time stick out tongue....guess i'll have to work something out.

pfft....paint??...guyz..c'mon! stick out tongue

LanceWindu
Sorry Dexx!

That's all I have...my computer doesn't have enough memory for the Paint Shop Pro 8.0 that we bought...sad

yerssot
oh yeah, now a contest when exams are near sad

Godshinto
Cmon guys paintShop how do you do anything in paintshop I would perfer a single contest

Tired Hiker
I think it doesn't matter what program you use to create the sig. Use what you have. Just be clever! Surprize us!

But, I think the Sig Contest should be like this:

Most Original Sig
Most Artistic Sig
Best Composition
Best Use Of Color And Tone
Most contemporary
Cleverist Sig
The Best Sig Of The Batch (this would be the one you want to win)
The Worst Sig Of Them All (why not? let's make this juicy.)

Tired Hiker
I think it doesn't matter what program you use to create the sig. Use what you have. Just be clever! Surprise us!

But, I think the Sig Contest should be like this:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::

Most Original Sig
Most Artistic Sig
Best Composition
Best Use Of Color And Tone
Most contemporary
Cleverest Sig
The Best Sig Of The Batch (this would be the one you want to win)
The Worst Sig Of Them All (why not? let's make this juicy.)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::

Godshinto
You all make it seem that there are every person on the board is going to participate there are going to be people that aren't going to win. We should have mabey at most 4 Places

Darkweaver
Someone mentioned I should join in, but being an amateur I'm not sure that's plausible. I'm still learning a little more with PSP 7 every day but I've only been with it a few months.

Tired Hiker
I say just do it. Why not. A little competition never hurt anyone. I'm sure the turn out will be great with all the new members. It'll be awesome, what is the big worry?

LanceWindu
You'd be surprised Godshinto...making a signature with fancy FX won't always win you a contest.

There are many clever things you can do in a cheap program that will be nearly as good as a $100+ program.

badkittykitty
I got adobe photo shop a couple of weeks ago and havent a clue how to use it! so Ill still be using crumby microsoft photo that came with my computer...but thats okay if my sigs cant compete with some others..I think it will be fun regardless so count me in!

Darkweaver
I never really used MS Paint. I couldn't figure it out and it wasn't until I got PSP 7 when I really started getting into it. Isn't MS Paint very similar to PSP?

Anyways, if I did... and that's a big "if"... enter one of my sigs how do I go about doing it? I don't know. Whadda you think?

O-Ren
I have a question, since this is only my second day here, and I want to jump right in. Sink or swim, you know? Anyway... If we can't enter our own signatures in the contest, which I understand, then what kind of sigs are the participants making? Let's say I enter (which I will), am I going to be entering a signature that I make for myself to use, or do I make one for someone else? I'm a little overwhelmed. Could someone please explain. Help! lol.

smokin'

LanceWindu
You can make a signature for yourself to use, or for someone else.

But if it's for you, you are not allowed to used the signature until after the contest is over.

Ushgarak
Yes, so long as it is a sig that someone on this site could reasonably use it is fine. It is normal to make it as if it is your own but I do not see that it is necessary.

I think I am more inclined to go with Tired Hiker's idea of go with what you have and make what you can- after all, no amount of expensive gear makes you more likely to win the Cleverest Sig award- but also with Godshinto that there should not be too many categories, dpending on entrants.

Dexx
well..technically ..it should smile..or have a great part to it, anyway

umm...no...not really, lance smile..this is software industry

LanceWindu
Common ingenuity can still win over simple filters you put on a generic image.

LanceWindu
Where will we post these signatures after we finish them?

Because I have one that I think is almost ready...

yerssot
there will be a new thread for that I think

LanceWindu
Ok...

Godshinto
You think a simple filter can look like this

LanceWindu
Wow...you know how to make it move!

I'm so proud of you!

* sarcasm *

I could do the same thing if I had memory on my computer, you can download a program for images like that, and you can create all the images in MS Paint and then import them to the program. It's not all that hard.

Godshinto
Hey did you know That I'm one of the judges this time, that was the only way we could finally ge this going.

yerssot
the word "so?" comes to mind...

LanceWindu
Oh, so now you're threatening me about being a judge?

What are you gonna do? Not properly judge my signature and not give me a fair chance?

Godshinto
No I was just letting people know incase they had any questions, I tend to walk away from arguments.

LanceWindu
Good.

Because crooked judges are the worst.

Godshinto
I totally agree. Hey if you want to have a contest between you and me after this contest is over and let the people of the board choose I would be more than happy to oblige.

LanceWindu
I'm not quite ready for a one on one contest.

This signature I am making now is fairly simple.

So I am still trying to find ways to make it better.

Godshinto
great I look forward to seeing your entry last time Tired almost won with this sig

LanceWindu
laughing

LanceWindu
Ok, my signature is done.

It was all done with just MS Paint.

Kosta
Mine is ready. big grin

LanceWindu
Wanna e-mail each other our sigs Kosta?

I want to show someone...

LindsIsTightK
I'm not confident enough in myself to enter the contest. I don't think my sigs are all that good..........

LanceWindu
I have now made 2, the first one so far is the one I am entering...

Kosta
Linds still waiting for a "NO NO! Yours are great" stick out tongue

But seriously, enter, I like most ur sigs, and avas. smile

Darkweaver
I never used MS Paint really but love PSP 7.0. I'm sure there's a few neat things you can do with MS Paint. It really is all up to the imagination. The only problem is with MS Paint, it might take a much greater effort than on a program like PSP or Photoshop.

On that note, generally Photoshop is considered the industry standard. It's perhaps the best consumer and commercial graphics program available. PSP would probably come in at second. In fact, if my PC had more power, I'd have the latest Photoshop right now but so far, I'm pretty darn content with Paint Shop Pro 7.0.

yerssot
you're too modest, join and you'll see smile

Ushgarak
I'll give it until the weekend for further comments, then I shall kick things off...

RonyLeBeau
Anyone can participate?

I would like to participate but i dont want to get Tired Hikers honorable award confused of "The Worst Sig Of Them All (why not? let's make this juicy.)" which i will probably get embarrasment

oh well i'll get over it.....count me in... shifty

When does it start?

Dexx
ingenuity and the advantages of a proffessional program don't rule eachother out, lance.
you can have both..and combine them into a really good work of art.
i'm not saying you can't work something out in ms paint....but it is the default graphics software after all. it's not MADE to have great results...all part of the marketing strategy, that. smile

gee..i guess i'll have to start working on something

LanceWindu
Yes you do...

I already have 2 sigs created...

With a possible third one on the way, if I get any ideas...

The best one in my opinion will be entered in the contest.

grymlock
let's the game begin...

cheers mate!!

badkittykitty
yes..what are the rules..our goals? I want to get started this weekend smile

grymlock
how many category there gonna be?? i hope there will be a cartoon, movie and artistic...

cheers!!

LanceWindu
Maybe we can have a best use of the letters KMC in a sig...

grymlock
i like the way godshinto insert it and hope the font will remain the same... cheers mate!!

LanceWindu
Yeah, but who would honetsly have KMC written on thier sunglasses? laughing out loud

I think I put KMC in a good place on one of the sigs I created.

LanceWindu
Can we please enter two sigs for this contest?

Hegemon875
Yeah!

Raz
Oooh oooh, can I be a judge?

This looks all pretty interesting. This way Godshinto can enter the contest.

LanceWindu
I believe you can make yourself a judge.

You are the Big Giant Head of course.

Dexx
ooh..raz..a judge? *whipes all so far made sig plans*
gotta get some new ideas big grin

Darkweaver
I need an opinion here. Which of the two sigs do you like better? The one here:

http://frannydrescher.homestead.com/files/files2/rachaelbellabanner200b.jpg

Or the one I have in my signature below now?

LanceWindu
The second one...

Hegemon875
I can't wait for the contest to begin, I've already got my sig ready.

LanceWindu
Ditto x 2

Godshinto
Look how I incorporated it into my sig

LanceWindu
That owns.

How do you like how I have KMC in my current sig?

stinkfist462
IM IN!!

RonyLeBeau
Okay wait... i am new at this. What are the rules???? And what is with "KMC" in the sig...... is that a rule????

sorry guys i didn't mean to sound huh blink roll eyes (sarcastic) .......
but i just need at least the basic rules?

shifty

lil bitchiness
oo oo ok, someone make me a sig! It would be a challange to make it better than Burly's! yes

Vader
You can use me for practice too, I don't have a sig.

MC Mike
Okay... just incase you don't know this, that means YOU have to make a sig, not you using the sig you have... the reason I say this is cuz you keep collecting sigs from OTHER people, and you've never made one yourself... otherwise, go ahead! big grin

Darkweaver
The one currently in my sig then? Yeah, you're probably right. Hmmmm.... decisions.

LanceWindu
KMC in the sig isn't a rule, but me and Godshinto are going to have a friendly little competition to see who can make the bet use of it in the contest.

Hegemon875
The one I've made for the contest I made for you so after the contest I'll adjust it and give it to you. wink

Godshinto
Hey McMike join in the festivities

Godshinto
Darkweaver here you go

silver_tears
awwww big grin wish you guys the best of luck big grin

Darkweaver
Heh. You read my mind. I was just thinking of doing that. Thanks.

Well, now I have yet another new sig.

Darkweaver
Godshinto, do you think you could add a Santa hat to this attached picture too? That would be some cool beans. cool

nazgulinthedark
thumb up yes i like those

nazgulinthedark
i'm in, i like sig contests, even tough i've never done one before big grin

Hegemon875
Come on let's start the contest Ush!

stinkfist462
uhhh.... dont know how but i sure can learn,......... ok.. yep see ya there..

Godshinto
Just to let you all know this contest is for making your own sig all of the Judges, know you and your work including me, if we feel that it's not your own work we will judge on it that way it's your talent not someone elses, show your talent it doesn't have to be the coolest looking sig ever it could be the most cleverest sig ever or just simple and nice. Take your time, and mabey Making 2 isn't a bad idea but decide wisely and decide carefully. That is the only advice I can offer to all of you new creators.

Raz
Godshinto, I'll take over your role as judge so you can compete.

Ushgarak
Oooh, goody, Raz will be a good judge.

Ok, I shall start this off in just a moment!

I think, however, just one sig entires for now. Maybe next time for two!

Baylin
After my sweeping victory in the last one I'm staying out of this one. Give someone else a chance and stuff....

Ushgarak
Competition thread is now up. If you wish to discuss the competition or make commentary, please do so in here, rather than in the competition thread itself. Thank you!

LanceWindu
Mine is posted.

I have another one, but I thought that this one would have the best chance.

If you want to see the other one in this thread, let me know.

badkittykitty
*rubs hands together* sweet Ill get started asap!

tptmanno1
woo hoo,
i accually made one and posted it!
I don't expect to win anything, but i think its rather ok for a first try in paint

burlyman
Darkweaver> thats against the rules to enter current ones stick out tongue roll eyes (sarcastic)

silver_tears
OMG Ken I love yours yes

LanceWindu
Thanks Irene.

FallingBlue
alright, im in too I guess, nothin else to do stick out tongue

Kosta
Mines alll done and posted, hope I WIN!!!! eek! roll eyes (sarcastic)

LanceWindu
Nooooo!

Hope I win!

silver_tears
I like yours to kosta eek!

Kosta
Thanks big grin.

Baylin
Yes it is a good one Kosta!

Godshinto
Yhe so I finally posted one I have such a busy week I can't spend any more time than that on it right now but I would make it much phatter if I had the time

Godshinto
I did what I know like I said I could of made a smoother one if I had the time and if you have photo Shop you can do this same exact thing also. Plus I have been doing this for a long time I make alot of sigs for practice. That's why I didn't care if I was a judge.

Paola
eek! kosta's is great!!! eek!

Dexx
bwah..got one done by now..but the thing is...i made it in a couple of minutes...because i was feeling funny smile
it wouldn't even technically be a sig, if it hadn't my name on it...
but..i'll get to a serious design later...i've still got the time.

You'd be surprised to see how easy the moving sigs, the gifs, are to make, falling blue ....
it's not unafair..not by a long shot. It's damn hard to make a good STILL image

LanceWindu
What does everyone think of mine?

Dexx
well...wait and see what the judges will say

oh..here's the one i made just now...told you i was feeling funny stick out tongue
as i said..i don't plan on entering this one...no way....i'll do the cool one tomorrow or something

silver_tears
seriously those are wicked *claps*

burlyman
erm... i made one in photoshop but its 53.5KB confused
i dont know how to resize of gifs (yeah it needs to be gif)

Michael Myers 1
I think all of yours rock but i dont have the good programs like you guys do so can i try the contest?

tptmanno1
I made mine primaraly with paint so go right ahead, have fun!

Michael Myers 1
thanks and how many sigs can you post?

tptmanno1
only one, make it count!
good luck!

Michael Myers 1
ok i use this one

MC Mike
Then put it in the other thread! big grin

Michael Myers 1
ook and if an1 wants a free Thorn sig that i made ask me for it and if you dont kno what Thorn is its some kind of curse mike and its on the bottom left of my sig so if u wnat it pm me or ask me here

Raz

silver_tears
good job oh and when is the contest over?

Hegemon875
What does anyone think of the sig I entered?

Godshinto
Dude very nice Darth Pics very nicely done.

burlyman
new year wink

LanceWindu
I can't see The One Himself's signature...blink

I can see it when it's in thumbnail size, but I click it and it says Forbidden...

The One Himself
I'll try to fix the link and post the sig once again...(sorry!)

The One Himself
Could anyone delete my first post in the sig contest thread? The sig in second one is working now. I will be grateful.

silver_tears
Its great eek!

The One Himself
Oh.. embarrasment thank you very much. big grin

silver_tears
I just love neo embarrasment so it is very good and original yes

Godshinto
Hey I'm always up for some awesome competition but you can't use other peoples work and make it your own it has to be your creation not just a quick edit. I do like competition and all but when you don't do the work don't take the credit

The One Himself
What the hell are you talking about???? I made it myself at my home with my computer using Paint Shop Pro and Animation Shop. It's 100 % homemade...I really did not understand what you tried to say....(?) confused sad sad

The One Himself
Are you trying to be funny? messed huh

nazgulinthedark
laughing out loud

hi all!
anyone like mine?

Raz
Done.

Godshinto, before accusing someone of plagarism, could you please provide some proof? Thanks!

The One Himself
Thank you Raz. Godshinto must be kidding...Only way to explain.... blink sad

The One Himself
> nazgulinthedark> Awesome sig...Hard competition big grin

nazgulinthedark
big grin thanx

silver_tears
wow burly your is lovely eek!

nazgulinthedark
yes burly's is good

burlyman
ta... happy
but the polaroid edges doesnt work against my white IE background stick out tongue and it should be clear around it confused

silver_tears
still very nice yes

badkittykitty
wow there is great sigs over there! good luck every one! smile

silver_tears
Yours is cool BKK but a bit blink

LanceWindu
Mine is the best. cool

badkittykitty
Haha! thanks! have you ever seen the holy grail? thats tim the enchanter laughing out loud

I love alot of the sigs over there...lance yours indeed is great!

silver_tears
I really like it it's just a bit out there still cool though wink
And Lance you know my thoughts on yours raver

badkittykitty
...you gonna put one together silver?

silver_tears
uhh no embarrasment
dont have the skills for it stick out tongue the best I can do is edit one like I did to mine now big grin

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>