A jedi council on earth no less!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bo-Eee
I've just bought the recent edition of "Starlog" where i read, that some want the religion of "Jedi" to be recognised here on this planet as a christian/islamic religion.

In order to do this there must be 10,000 believers to make this happen, so their aim is to email everyone into doing so by stating "Jedi" on their census forms under the religion section!

Whatever next??

Lightsabres at dawn!

yerssot
don't know if it's in the right section,
but I have to say that http://www.swmovies.net has somewhere an article on this...

it won't make a religion (there was a whole part about that wich I didn't got that one right)

Ushgarak
As numerous threads have described, the whole idea is nonsense and based on an erroenous grounding.

My advice is to forget about it.

finti
It is kind of EU related so I let it pass. Now it is pathetic thought though, jedi as a religion. Just as pathetic as the other religions JMHO

mechmoggy
And Christianity, I mean as if thats ever gonna be reconised eh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bo-Eee
L O L its better staying as it is, religion is just a load of balony which causes too many deaths and divorces lol

Julie
Hey...some people happen to like religion. Star Wars is an obsession of mine, but Christianity is a large part of my life as well.

Ushgarak
There's no problerm with that. But really, the whole 'Make Jedi a religion' thing was dreadful trivialisation, and people thinking they were clever when they weren't. And it was also utterly, utterly flawed.

finti
I can think of other uterly flawed things, but people just get insulted if I speak my mind.

Anyways I wonder what kind of necklesses they make out of a jedi religion? stick out tongue

Julie
A jedi religion...hmmm... a bit much i think.

Ushgarak
I didn't actually mean that as a religion it was flawed... though it WAS... what I meant was that the idea that you could use the census to make it a religion was flawed.

Julie
As a religion I do believe that it is flawed....feel free to disagree.

Ushgarak
Seeing as I just said that it was, I am unlikely to disagree.

Julie
good....i'm glad

Ushgarak
Good! Then so am I.

Just to explain to people... again... the mistake here was that someone got it into his head that if enough people put 'Jedi' down on their census form then the government would be forced to recognise it as a religion. He thought this was cool, and the idea spread.

But the originator(s?) was mistaken. No matter what, the census CANNOT make a new religion. They simply do not have that authority. What actually happens, if enough people give an asnwer, is that it gets a number given to it, because it has become an officially recognised answer to that question. The numbers are used for administration.

Being an official answer to the census is SUCH a long way from being a legal and recognised religion... it;s almost breathtaking that people thought that was all they needed to do!

Interestingly, it's illegal to lie to the UK census. EXCEPT with the religion question. Hmm.

finti
who deceide this? just because the other belives have existed for some years it is ok.(Not that I think they should make jedi a religion) but still I wonder.
Is the old Norse mythology considered a religion. If not it is kind of discriminating.

Julie
How do you define a religion? What's the difference b/t religion and cult? How do you seperate the believer from the heretic? ....just a few questions to think on.

Ratcat
Saved me saying this YET AGAIN!!!

finti
say what again?

Julie
Yeah, what are you talking about?

Ushgarak
As far as what akes a 'legal' religion is concerned, that's a complex area.... but it sure isn't census forms!

Julie
Religion usually has more to do with what a person believes in their "heart" to be true.

Bo-Eee
Whoops, i didn't mean to spark a heated debate of this magnitude," never discuss politics and religion," and i think we proved this one right.

My opinion is, when it comes to religion, everyone of you must follow your own path, and do what you think is the right thing.

And never say that someone else is stupid, or crass because they don't have the same opinion as you.

I'm a pagan, was brought up in the church of England, as i see it, whats happened with me in my life has brought me to my own direction of what i want to believe in, no, i won't return to the church just because i'm on my last legs.

Paganism has its own various paths alone, without adding other religions to it, and here ends my sermon.

Julie
Wow...but debate does have its good points too. I won't knock your religion, but I will say that I am a Christian.

Darth Zedster
Originally posted by Bo-Eee
Whoops, i didn't mean to spark a heated debate of this magnitude," never discuss politics and religion," and i think we proved this one right.

My opinion is, when it comes to religion, everyone of you must follow your own path, and do what you think is the right thing.

And never say that someone else is stupid, or crass because they don't have the same opinion as you.

I'm a pagan, was brought up in the church of England, as i see it, whats happened with me in my life has brought me to my own direction of what i want to believe in, no, i won't return to the church just because i'm on my last legs.

Paganism has its own various paths alone, without adding other religions to it, and here ends my sermon.
Agreed.

Tangible God
You're an ass, ain't ya?

overlord
Originally posted by Darth Zedster
Agreed. You fail for trying to agree with people who have been dead for years. B&!

Bo-Eee
And why are 3 posts above me replying to a topic that was last posted in 2001!!!

Is someone trying to boost post counts lol

overlord
No, someone was being silly, and wise men came along and called him a retard. Then it was bumped again.

The big EH
Originally posted by Bo-Eee
I've just bought the recent edition of "Starlog" where i read, that some want the religion of "Jedi" to be recognised here on this planet as a christian/islamic religion.

In order to do this there must be 10,000 believers to make this happen, so their aim is to email everyone into doing so by stating "Jedi" on their census forms under the religion section!

Whatever next??

Lightsabres at dawn! alright that would be awesome

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.