Should religion be banned

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
I was thinking should religion be banned because it first causes so many wars and fights i think it be better if it was banned.
So many people did becuase other people kill in the name of god.

what do you think

yerssot
unfortunatly you can't do that

Fire
well religion is also a drive for many ppl to do great things

yerssot
for their pocketbook

Baylin
religion isn't a problem, its extremist who take it too far or out of context that cause problems.

Fire
True Baylin

.:[Kamikaze]:.
agrees http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/yes.gif

Tex
yes

crazy_rock_chic
yes plus there would be wars over banning religion

SilverFighter
I think that one day science will overthrow religion then religion will be banned.

BackFire
Religion has caused more harm then good, but you can't start telling people what they can and can't believe. People have the right to think and believe whatever they wish, and as long as they don't hurt others in the process, I'm fine with that.

I know religion has been the cause of many many brutal wars and abominations of mankind, but only because the people who commit these acts are obviously insane and simply use religion as an excuse to validate their actions....a crutch. Chances are these same people would have found another reason to kill and mame if they couldn't use religion as a crutch.

The vast majority of those who believe in religion simply use it to better themselves, and too pick themselves up when they are down. To give them hope, and love, and strength. That's what religion is there for, to give you ideas on how to live a good life.

There are many double edged swords in this world, and religion is definately one of them, however, should you ban religion from the world, you are banning the most basic human right. If anyone does that, they might as well be reffered to as Hitler.

Dirty Vader
Religion does a lot of harm (wars, purges, discrimination, crusades, inquisitions) and it has forbidden science for centuries. Now that science is allowed, look at all the things we've achieved and discovered in a little as 150 yearswhen the world was finaly free of religious domination.

The things that some religions make you do or forbid you to do are in my opinion too much.

Otherwise religion can turn people into good men and women. They give to the poor, forgive. But remember some people pretend to be religious but they're actualy hypocrites, thieves, swindlers and sellfish self centered people. They only play religious to improve their valour and respectedness or to gain benefits.

silver_tears
Religion should not be banned...
For alot of people its the only thing they have to look up to...

dave123
of course not, and even if they wanted to, they couldnt

G.P
*Agrees with BF and Dirty V.*

Religion offers moral code and good intentions. That's almost nothing in today's world but believe me it's one of the last thing we have.
Yes it has been used as an excuse for unforgivable behaviours and yes fanaticism/extremism are the true great dangers...

shaber
There will always be good and evil people, with or without religion. The term "religion" in the way you are asking it is really very vague. It encompasses brutal oligarchical regimes forced upon the living by the dead and genuinely helpful mentoring.

Godshinto
I would love to so the profit that all churches are seeming to make off all of these innocent followers. Did you know that the catholic churc alone is worth billions. But people really pay for the belief which is stronger self belief

yerssot
there is only one perfect religion and it's spreading fast,
it's unavoidable, it's your destiny:
the 12 FOOT LONG ECLAIR!
*kneels*

Godshinto
But we all can't forget the all knowing all seeing lava lamp.

yerssot
I laugh at your lavalamp! *mean look*

Fire
well if we were to ban religion ppl would find something new to woreship
the believe in god has failed, but then ppl looked and are still looking for a subtitute.

yerssot
"Here I am
This is me"
wink

Metroplex
Science is the new religion. Everything can be proven by science now a days. even the creation of the world. Religion is only philosophy and was created to explain our exiestance.

yerssot
what about unexplainable miracles?

Fire
Some claim that, that very fact, is what is wrong with our (post)-modern westren culture. Because we seem to be great at solving rational problems, we are at the peak of our technological and scientific knowledge for years now and still climbing. BUT as we gain this rational knowledge we seem to have lost and still lose our irrational knowledge. and that irrational knowledge is what helps us to find answers to the questions that really matter, and to which science can not give us an answer

Fire
Science might prove the CAUSE of everything and MIGHT prodict a possible effect, HOWEVER Science can not prove the PURPOSE, and the PURPOSE of things has always been important to ppl

Godshinto
I would consult the new Bible (aka The Matrix) for the answer

Fire
WTF Godshinto?????

The Matrix is just a bunch of philosophical ideas thrown together. If you want ppl to get a decent answer read some philosophy

yerssot
the crappy movie? why that messed

but I agree with FM... the purpose, the big question "why are we here? what's life about" and such, science won't solve that one

SilverFighter
I think even miracles need scientific explanation.

Fire
Science can not explain everything, it might someday, but I doubt it

SilverFighter
Some hardcore fans do take the Matrix seriously *cough* cult *cough*

yerssot
how can science where there is always only one solution tell you a subjective answer?

Fire
today it can't but maybe tomorrow it can

you can't prodict the future so you have to be very careful with words like never and always

yerssot
how do you know you can't predict the future?

Godshinto
Bu they refer to it as a club, and the leader is so nice

Fire
prove to me you can and I will accept it

SilverFighter
The sun will come out tomorrow. Astronomy has data that proves this and Astronomy is a science. Therefore Science can predict the future.

yerssot
how can you prove that the sun will come out tomorrow? you need to see that with your own eyes before you can accept that

SilverFighter
They have a leader now??? Wow they work fast!

Godshinto
I used to have a strong belief in GOD and all of the things that come with it. But then my father kind of suddenly passed away. And then I have lost alot of faith. sad

SilverFighter
I can't prove it cuz I don't have the data. But go to your local observatory and the astronomer will prove you that the earth is rotating on it's axis.

yerssot
have you seen it rotating on it's axis?

SilverFighter
I'm sorry to hear that Godshinto try to be strong.

Metroplex
Religion is getting in the way of everything. The cloning research thing is being restricted cuz of religion. Even stem cell research. Stem cell is proven to help people with diseases: such as Parkinsons disease an alzeimer's. If religion was banned, than the science will be developed and more people will be cured of various diseases.

SilverFighter
Don't tell me you never seen pictures from outter space.

Fire
They still can't prodict that the sun will not explode tomorrow, so until the sun rises tomorrow you can not be sure that it will. There for Science can NOT PRODICT the future

yerssot
have you seen it with your own eyes? how do you know they're not tempered?

well, religion is also about ethics, I mean, some are afraid that cloning with this might result into cloning humans

Metroplex
Well actually they said that our sun has about 4 billion years to live. Every sun dies cuz it is proven that when a sun dies, it creates a black hole.

Fire
I dunno where you are from, but over here cloning is not restricted because of religion. It is restricted -in some forms some is accepted- because of the things it might lead too.

SilverFighter
Look I'm not putting down religion or religion faith. But when it comes down to explaining the Physical Universe Science has the edge.

yerssot
and how will you know this is all right? will you be here in 4 billion years to see if it's right?
no, huh? than how can you know?

Fire
That's what they say today, but maybe the theory changes tomorrow
again noone can prodict what will happen tomorrow, if the sun explodes tomorrow science will have been wrong.

it is impossible to say ALWAYS and NEVER and things like that: I know this might be hard to comprehend since it makes every law of nature invalid, but when you think about it is correct.

Those that try and claim things with ALWAYS and NEVER are assuming too much. They might make a calculated guess, but still they can not use those words.

To use those words is to be cocky

Metroplex
The united States banned stem cell research because of religion problems. A lot of religious groups beleieve that cloning people is like playing God.

SilverFighter
Math and lots of it that's what Scientist base their theories on.

Fire
noone said you were putting anything down Silver

yerssot
have you seen these theories? how do you know they are right?

Fire
there is a big difference between stem cell research and cloning people. I am against cloning ppl myself but not because it is playing God. God doesn't exist and if he does exist he sure as hell doesn't care about us

SilverFighter
Yeah I know Fire but I just wanted to clarify that I'm not all science and no faith smile

yerssot
"God died, and we killed him" wink

Metroplex
Lol. Stem cells is when you clone your own cells

Fire
I know what Stem cells are, but there is a difference between cloning a cells to create a single organ, or blood or something like that

and cloning cells to create a new person

SilverFighter
I'm sure you have seen this before yerssot "E=mc2" I may not know how to translated but it is beneficial to Science.

Metroplex
Well you are genitically modifying a human being by cloning your own cells. Thats why some countries banned stem cells. like the USA

yerssot
yes, it's a theory, and how do you know it's a perfect theory? have you seen it?

Fire
translated it means

Energy equals Weight/Matter times Lightspeed to the second degree

Metroplex
It means energy = matter squared

h0ck3yh0rr0r
religion is a good thing...sometimes. it makes people feel good...sometimes. it causes holy wars....sometimes.

Fire
euhm you left out the C metroplex

SilverFighter
yerssot we see it every day is "energy"

yerssot
you forgot "lightspeed" metroplex wink

point is, cause apperently you still haven't got it:
you can not be sure of things if you haven't seen it for yourself
how can the sun rise tomorrow? you have to wait and see for yourself

Metroplex
whoops smile

Fire
np happens to the best of us

Fire
and unless I am mistaken E=MC2 is still not scientificaly proven

Metroplex
laughing out loud im not sure but i think we are going a little off topic

yerssot
that's subjective, you call it energy, what makes you think the 6 billion other people call it energy too? (if it really is "energy" like you define it) have you personally asked every one?

SilverFighter
I think I'm finally understanding what you are trying to say. It comes down to our senses "sight" we cannot rely on our senses because they sometimes can deceive us......right?

Fire
yea we are, but as soon as we can convince SilverFighter that there is NO way you can PRODICT anything then we will get back on topic

yerssot
sometimes? how do you know that what you now see is "real"?

Metroplex
Well the thing is that science is not definite. Everything is a theory. even the law of gravity is a theory

Fire
well your senses could be wrong indeed, but no empirism isn't about that it is about trusting your sense, that's the only thing that is certain in this world.

you need VERYFICATIOn

SilverFighter
Shame on me I'm the cause why the topic got off a bit big grin
Please continue.....

Fire
True, and noone can say that it will last forever metroplex, if it stops tomorrow it stops

and then science will be wrong

Fire
lol but did we convince you Silver?

SilverFighter
Back when I couldn't explain the theory of relativity.

yerssot
that soon already? wink-

Fire
It's not that hard you just can't say never and can't say always because tomorrow the world might change and it might all be different.

I know it is most of the time extremely far fedged, but they just wanted to prove that you can not prodict the future. so you should rely on what YOU personaly found out through your senses

yerssot
hoping that your senses are right and that you're not cheated by them

Metroplex
Well i'll go back ON topic. I say the best religion of all is buddhasim. They don't specifically believe in a god (if you are a liberal buddhist), they can celebrate any holiday and they are pacifists.

Fire
(if you are a liberal buddhist),

is there any form of buddhism that believe in a god?????

SilverFighter
If memory serves me right........back in Philosophy class they use the example of dipping a straight (unbended) stick of wood into a puddle of water. The stick appears to bend but it isn't is our senses telling us that it actually is.

Metroplex
yes they beleieve in the Buddha, the fat guy( cant find another way to describe him). but there are a lot of Religions out there. Example : Conservative Christianity, Liberal Christianity, Mainline Chraistianity, etc etc

Metroplex
In my physics class, it is called the refraction of light. Because when light travels through a differetn medium, it slows down and bends.

Fire
I know enough about buddhism.

But Buddha never claimed to be god, nor is he described as a god by his followers

Metroplex
But he is worshipped, so i guess he is considered a god since he is worshipped.

yerssot
no, buddhism doesn't have gods as far as I know

Metroplex
But if someone is worshipped, aren't they considered a god?

Fire
I hope you don't say that to a buddhist, cause I know quite a few ppl who would be really offended

yerssot
no, he gets honored as being the great light of said way of thinking, he is in no way considered a god

SilverFighter
I think that by Buddha you mean Siddartha but he was a prince before coming into Nirvana.

Metroplex
Im a semi buddhist, semi atheist, semi catholic. I short, i invented my own religion mixing the three.

Metroplex
Yes exactly that. Siddharta was the first to reach Nirvanna. and i think he was the first to set up the basis of Buddhism.

Fire
well I know a few buddhists, monks and normal followers they would be greatly offended if you said they worship Buddha

yerssot
when he reached enlightment he got the name Buddha, hence buddhism

Fire
Siddartha was indeed the founder of buddhism and the first buddha

Metroplex
Well in Pogodas, there are staues of the Buddha. Like in Catholic churches, there are statues of JEsus.

SilverFighter
The only thing about Siddharta is that there are many versions of his "coming into being" and I'm not including the version from Herman Hesse book.

yerssot
so? there are statues about presidents too

Fire
people I'm off
enjoy your evening

Metroplex
They are not prayed to. Cuz when my mon goes to a Pogoda, she prays in front of statue.

SilverFighter
Same here I'm dizzy I better quit before my "energy" runs out wink enjoy your evening everyone.

yerssot
to hope that buddha will give the wisdom needed to reach enlightment

Metroplex
I have a perfect example where the Buddha is said to be a god. In the movie Anger Managaement. when Adam Sandler insults the buddhist by saying that your god is fat or something like that.

lil bitchiness
Religion is used as an excuse to do all the fighting and killing...thats it!

You cant bann it...there is no possible way for that. I dont agree with organised religion at all, but you cant tell 2 billion christians and musims to stop believing (im not sure about the number of followers of other religions)
Thats 1/3 of worlds population...

Metroplex> Im semi buddhist as well...

lil bitchiness
Buddha is not a god, and he would be outgraged if people saw him as one...

Lord Soth
I didn't read the whole thread, so this might have been said already, but here's my opinion

Religion has done nothing but cause problems. It has incited devastating wars (WW 2, the Crusades), it has invited predjudice into our hearts. It gets involved in everything, such as political disputes (same-sex marriage) where it has no buisness, due to the separation of church and state.

Have you ever looked down on someone b/c of their beliefs? Even if you didn't conciously do it, it is a certainty that it has happened.

Sadly, religion can't be banned. I realized a long time ago that nothing good can come from believing in a higher power, who then becomes a nuisance, a nagging prescence over everything you do. So I became an athiest.

IMO, religion is the best-orchestrated scam in history, so good that EVERYONE in the world is fooled in some way. While many people do good things in the name of Jesus, God, Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, whoever, the motivation behind it is selfish and ugly, so they can have a place in heaven, in which there is nothing but self-blinding righteousness, if such a place exists

G.P
Excuse me ???? eek!

yerssot
...doesn't follow the logic in that ...

before you totally destroy religion ... it can do great things to; if you look at the basics of christianity for example, it's about forgiving and caring about others

Baylin
So... what about the Crusades wasn't that about beating heathens into Christianity? stick out tongue

yerssot
I never said religion is all good, it's the basics not what people make of it!

Baylin
As I said right at the begining of this thread its the extremists and those that take things too far that are to blame for religions bad press!

I have my own personal beliefs that are based on my own personal experiences. I dont preach them, if people want to know I'll talk about them. If they then wish to take those beliefs on board then thats up to them. IMO thats how religions ought to be - an individuals own choice.

Lord Soth
WW2 was basically started by predjudice against the Jews, as everyone should know

yerssot
er ... no
they needed an ennemy to blaim the bad economics too,
there were plenty of jews in germany to blaim it too and they were rich, so after (how to put this gentle...) ...losing them, they could take their money too

... of course, everyone should know THIS roll eyes (sarcastic)

SilverFighter
I tend to believe that WWII got started because of the aftermath of WWI. Germany got penalized severely by the allies and so the German regime persecuted the Jewish Business people.

Vader
Some point I would like to make.

a-) I belive in God, I have no doubt whatsoever of his existance
b-) YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL.
c-) Not all war are bad, we have stand up agaisnt evil.
d-) Communism DID banned relgion in Russia and look at the mess they are now, they burned Churches and Synagoges and that led to an entire people being slaved to a totalitarian state.

yerssot
well, at the rate it's freezing here, I'll be happy to go to hell, while being underway it should feel great

Lord Soth
Even if it was a cover, religion was involved

yerssot
because they killed jews?
djee, search some from time to time roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Soth
Do you really think I care? Seeing as I don't believe in hell, anyway.

SilverFighter
See you there evil face

Fire
well Marx does indeed ban Religion. But to say that all communism leads to a totalitarian state is wrong, because noone has ever practiced the pure Marxistic communism, also known as Marxism, what ppl referre to as communsim is Leninism or Stalinism

Particleman167
First of all, and not to get offtopic, but I think some have confused predicting the future with knowing the future. Anyone can predict the future all they want, predicting is just saying what you think is likely to happen. I could predict that tomorrow I will wake up and have a third arm. This isn't actually based on anything, is meaningless, and will most likely not come true, but that doesn't mean I can't predict it. However there are a lot of things that scientists predict that is based on quite a but of actual evidence and is therefore very useful in determining what to expect in the years to come. What science can't do, however, is tell you what WILL happen. Noone can do that.

Secondly, banning is not the answer. Religion is not the problem, it's the fanaticism, fundamentalism, and plain ignorance that cause the hatred and fear that lead to all the wars and pain. Always has been. And as long as we as humans feel the need to explain our existence and our purpose for existing religion will exist. As someone pointed out earlier, science cannot give us a purpose, and it cannot disprove religion. Therefore I think religion will be around for a long long time. (That is a prediction, btw)

Finally, no we cannot truly "know" anything, because our senses could be deceiving us and we could be living in a matrix-like world, but, so what? What is the good in believing that everything is a lie when you can't possibly prove it? There really is no more reason to think that than not. A certain amount of doubt an uncertainty concerning the universe and the claims of others and yourself is definitely good, but one has to draw the line somewhere.

Fire
maybe particle but it's philosophy, it doesn't always have to make sence in real life, it just counts on paper

like this one dude that proved you can never cross the finish line when you have a race, he had a very good idea about that, dunoo exactly what it was will look it up some day

yerssot
the idea is that when you run i.e. 100 meters, you first have to get in the half of that distance: 50 meters
than you still have 50 to go, so, you have to run half of it again which is 25
so, 25 to go, ... etc.
you'll eventually get extremely close to the finish line but will never go over it

he had the same idea with a runner never being able to pass a turtle

and he = Zeno, from the Eleatic School located in Eleatic (South-Italy), his master was Parmenides

Fire
okie that's what I ment

Particleman167
I've heard of that argument before. It obviously doesn't hold true in real life, it just shows that logical arguments can be valid but false. That argument basically states that motion is impossible because for anything to move it must first travel half the distance, then half that distance, etc. and it can therefore never get to where it's going.

Fire
indeed, but in theory it is a very hard to thing to tear down

Particleman167
Well it is hard to argue with the logic, but that's all. It's certainly not hard to argue that motion is possible.

yerssot
they did proved it was wrong a few centuries later

Fire
true, but they had some difficulty with it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.