Why "the RETURN of the Jedi"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

peluffo
I've thinking on it since i've seen the movie for first time

*Is the RETURN of Anakin as Jedi Knight thru the redemption given by his son? (so the jedi who returns is anakin)
*Or is the Return of the Jedi order by the hand of Luke, the last and only jedi and master (remember? "share what you have learned", said by yoda in her last speech with the boy), who really becomes jedi when he confronts Vader? (Remember? I don't get the exact lines, but when he asks him if he Is a jedi, yoda tells him that he must confront Vader, then a Jedi he will be... or something like that)

ToMacco
Wow, man, that's deep.

I never really thought about it before. I would think that "Return of the Jedi" would refer to Anakin, who came back from the darkness of the Sith.

Luke wouldn't be returning as a Jedi, it would be called "Birth of the New Jedi" or something like that.

On the flip side, perhaps Luke becoming a Jedi would be the return of the Jedi, becasue Ben and Yoda died off.

The only thing that makes me unsure, is that Lucas's original title for Episode VI was "Revenge of the Jedi". But he felt that revenge was not what a Jedi would seek.

Interesting thought, nonetheless.

peluffo
I mean a return of The JEDI "ORDER" with Luke at hand, and the futures jedi to come...

And about revenge... is the same... Revenge of Vader over the Emperor for what he did to him and his boy, or Luke over the emperor for what he did to him and his father?, and of course (both) for what he did to the galaxy, blahblahblah...

What I mean is ... Gooooosh... is the better tittle that i Know!!!!! I'm still thinkin on it!!!!

ToMacco
peluffo, I like your insights. Stick around, bud.

finti
*Is the RETURN of Anakin as Jedi Knight thru the redemption given by his son? (so the jedi who returns is anakin)

Im positive this is the one

yerssot
depends on how you look at it, how "deep" you can see.
Everyone would say: it's about Luke returning and he is the maincharacter...
but if you think like you did, you would say that it also could be about Anakin returning to the Jedi Order with the ultimate sacrafise...

JediOasis
This is one of those things where you can look at from either perspective, but I'd bet Lucas intended it for Luke becoming a jedi, thus returning the Jedi order.

SilentMike
I think it refers to everything going from bad ESB to good ROTJ it's just an optimistic title but part of me also feels that there really are not meant to be anymore Jedi after ROTJ I mine the whole order is pretty much gone and Lucas said Anakin's destiny was to bring balance to the force. Luke in my opinion wasn't ever a real Jedi his training was so brief. Balance of the force with all Jedi gone and sith this phrase seems rather appropriate then that's what meant to happen

finti
The SW saga is the story of Anakin, so I bet (my line of work too) you all Return of the Jedi refers to Anakin returning back to the jedi order. It was originally ment to be called "REVENGE OF THE JEDI".

King Jedi
I'd say it's both. Whatever way you look at it the Jedi DO return. Whether that's Luke or Anakin it doesn't really matter.

ToMacco
finti, I already said that, silly goose!

Dim
I think it just basically means that the Jedi are back in the game..so to speak.

Gundark
As much as I hate to go against finti on this one, I'm more for the idea that it is Luke who is "returning" or at least restoring, for lack of a better word the very foundation of the Jedi order, upon which, is assumed after ep6, will be rebuilt.

King Jedi
Yip. It's down to Luke because he was the last Jedi plus he helped turn Anakin back.

Ushgarak
I think that the original title being 'Revenge' pretty much rules out it being a dfirect reference to Anakin.

It's a pretty symbolic title. But they were wiped out, and now in the guise of Luke 'they' are back.

King Jedi
So it's both?

finti
The jedi was there all the time with Yoda, it is Anakin who is the returning jedi. Jedi -Dark Jedi- Jedi ( again). Luke became a jedi by facing Vader so all he is doing are keeping the jedi alive . And if the title refered to the jedi order wouldnt it be called "Return of the Jedi`s"

yerssot
djeezus, why the jedi-order? Luke is the last one, as Yoda said.

finti
well he cant return to something he never was, and Luke was not the last of the jedi before Anakin died. And it is Anakin who is returning as a jediroll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
I think now with the PT's it's all of the above. In that sense it's a good title, very ambiguous having multiple meanings. I doubt it was conceived that way, but it turn out nicely. I'm still hoping Episode 3 will be called "Fall of the Jedi", tat could mean several things as well: Anakin and Jedi in general. I know people believe GL will not use the same word twice in titles, yet I favour it. It would tie in the saga nicely.

Captain REX
In "Return of the Jedi," it means return of the Jedi Knights. In the books that follow, Leia becomes a Jedi, Mara Jade (Luke's wife) becomes a Jedi, Luke's nephews Jacen & Anakin become Jedi, Luke's neice Jaina becomes a Jedi, Kyp Durron (one of Luke's trainees) becomes a Jedi, and Luke trains a whole new Jedi order after the one of the Old Republic. Ta-da! That pretty much explains it.smile

Ushgarak
Except that you never, ever count the books with this sort of thing, Rex.

finti
And then we are back to Anikans return as a jedi

Ushgarak
I still don't think so, I think it was meant conceptually, not singally. The Revenge title would otherwise have made no sense.

queeq
But "Revenge" was always meant as a fake title, I heard.

Ushgarak
Well, I've heard a thosuand things about that, which I'm not sure about. But in any case, you are right,. I can't base anything on that title.

queeq
But in any case, ROTJ has many meanings now, which is good.

peluffo
Well, actually Yoda tells Luke to "share what you've learned" what could mean to Luke (and for the other films that wil not be made but on the stories of the EU) that HE can restore the Jedi Order (I don't know, could be a very long fantasy)

About Revenge, it could mean a revenge of Anakin against the Emperor, or Luke against the emperor (this has been already posted here, please read ALL the post, or we will being disscusing all over and over again)

queeq
Did he say "Share what you have learned"??????????? When?

I know he said "Mind what you have learned, save you it can", but "share" ?????????

Ushgarak
I still think it is evry simple. At the start of the Classic Trilogy, the Jedi no longer exist as an entity. At the end of ROTJ, they DO exist again- even if only in the form of Luke.

Hence 'Return of the Jedi'.

peluffo
MY mistake. I don't get exactly what he said, but the spanish subtitles (are it canon..?) clearly tells "comparte lo que has aprendido..."

If you understand spanish you will get my confussion. If you don't... Sorry.

Captain REX
Too bad I don't read Spanish. My aunt knows Spanish (it's her primary language), but she lives in Hawaii with my uncle.
Maybe the people making the subtitles couldn't find any words to match what Yoda was saying. That or they spoofed.

Okay, here's what I think: Anakin returns from the Dark-Side and the Jedi Order returns (starting with Luke Skywalker). Okay? Okay.

peluffo
My vote on it, but always impressed me that the title fits so accurately to mean many things!
I've already posted that: for me is the best tittle of all (at this moment)

queeq
Ush, that is pretty odd what you said. At the start of the OT there are two Jedi alive and well. Halfway ROTJ, there's only one. Doesn't sound like an "existence of Jedi" more than in ANH.

Ushgarak
The Jedi are CONCEPTUALLY dead, is the point. By the end of ROTJ they are conceptually returned. We see the birth of the NEW Jedi.

finti
Still I think you are all to complicated in your way of thinking, Straight forward the only jedi to return is Anakin. It is Return Of THE Jedi. Luke represent the New jedi`s

queeq
It just has many meanings now, so that kind of ambiguity is nice, despite it being quite unStarWars.

Ushgarak
To be honest, Finti, I think your way is more complicated. When I hear the phrase 'Return of the Jedi' I think Jedi as in organisation, not as in single person. I think it is quite abstract to think of Anakin as 'the' Jedi.

queeq
Well, why? Obviously from the trailers he wants to be THE Jedi. And since he is the Chosen One, he might as well BE THE Jedi.

I always thought it was Luke, although I did find it a bit weird since Luke wasn't a Jedi yet. And he even wasn't until after he defeated Vader.

Ushgarak
Really, when you use 'The Jedi' like that the default use is that of an organisation.

bigsef2
i think it refers to the jedi as an order. however, the original title of 'revenge' applies perfectly to anakin. remember, the reason he becomes a sith is because he was 'tricked.' obviously, his master, the emperor, is the one that tricked him. by killing the emperor, anakin got his 'revenge.'

peluffo
If anakin were searchin revenge against the emperor, then he would not could be redeemed, so , the "revenge" could not work as a tittle wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.