Yoda, not Mace

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToMacco
I can't remember who said it, but it was brought to my attention that someone claimed that Mace was the head of the JC.

I'm watching the entire saga today, and I'm on ESB. Yoda said to Luke that he had his own counsil on who is to be trained. Yoda is the head. End of story.

yerssot
said Tomacco....

strange, are you the onlyone that thinks that?
I also find it hard to believe but it isn't Yoda who is the head, it's Mace

ToMacco
How do you know? Watch "The Empire Strikes Back". Yoda clearly states that he was the head of the counsel.

It's the scene where Luke discovers that it is Yoda he is talking too.

peluffo
I think Yoda is the head, and Mace is very important cause he is the older HUMAN in the JC. That gives hm a power position inside the JC, i think

yerssot
I can't remember that Yoda said that; but be assure MACE is the head, at first I also didn't believed it, but everybody told me it was him so I believed them...

King Jedi
I don't think anyone is in charge. They work together as a team. It's a partnership. You just have to look at the way they stare at each other to see they are both equals.
Mace does some jobs and Yoda the others.

yerssot
but OB1 and QGJ are speaking to Mace

bigsef2
yoda DOES say that he was head of the counsel in ESB, but quigon and obiwan DO speak to mace. either there is an inconsistancy in b/w the old and new trilogys, or the jedi work as a body to resolve matters. in the script for AOTC, there is one scene where palpatine consults yoda about the outcome of dooku's rebellion, and another scene where we see palpatine and mace in a meeting by themselves. maces role may be to serve as a spokesman, where as yoda is more of a person to consult on deep matters. youve got to admit, mace seems alot easier to talk to than yoda. smile

ToMacco
in TPM, both Mace and that one dude that looks like a conehead, look at Yoda when then speak.

Conehead dude: (looking at Yoda) Impossible, the Sith have been exstinct for over a milenium.

Mace: (looking at Yoda) I do not beleive the Sith could have returned without us knowing.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, yers!stick out tongue

Dim
It's a council..I would think that it would really be that no one person is really in charge..but It would seem that Mace and Yoda have the most "authority".

yerssot
Yeah, well, Yoda has the highest midi-chlorian count AND is the longest on the council, it's normal that you look at him when you speak to him...

ToMacco
He's the head. I don't care what the EU or the scripment says.

Watch "Empire". Yoda says that he had his own counsil. The proof is in the pudding.

yerssot
nothing is working here!

can you give me the quote please?

peluffo
Hey, everybody seems to talk always about some scripment, even about a script.... You're kidding???? or i get the wrong adress and take myself to a Lucasfilm or ILM Site ?????

Or do you, goys, know something that I miss?????????

mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

ToMacco
yerssot. It's the scene in which Yoda reveals himself to Luke.

Luke says "I am ready! I can be a Jedi! Ben, tell him I'm rea. . .*bonks head on roof*

Yoda says "Ready are you? For 800 years have I trained Jedi. My own counsil kept on who is to be trained."

LaurenE147
I thin they're both prominent figures in the JC, and they're both equal.

Lt. Heenan
Always two there are. No more. No less. A master and an apprentice.

You have to assume the entire Jedi council is broken down like this. Therefore, I put Yoda and Mace into that category. Especially when Yoda is telling Mace this at the end of Ep1. In every scene Mace does not continue without giving Yoda a glance for approval. It's very subtle, but watch for it. Remember when they were pre-testing Anakin? Mace was holding the hologram thing with the images on it. When the tests were complete did he say "Very good job Ani!" No! he looks to Yoda for approval, then Yoda goes into his spill. If Mace were the main figure head, he would have spoken at that point instead of looking to Yoda. He does this several times. Yoda is the key figure on the council.

yerssot
I know, I couldn't believe it, but still Mace is the leader (from what I've heared)

King Jedi
They do all look at Yoda though. Even when Mace is testing Anakin he looks at Yoda to tell him that he's passed. Plus Samuel L Jackson said that they were all "second to Yoda" in the UK mag last month.

yerssot
yeah, I hope it is so...

Brith
Its an interesting interpetation ToMacco has on that line from ESB.

I had always thought that it was just Yoda's way of saying (in his fractured English) "I keep my own counsel on who is trained". And I think he used the word "counsel" meaning advice rather than "council" which means a group meeting to discuss something - two words that are spelt differently and have different meanings but sound the same - God bless the English language!

So what Yoda meant was " I don't need anyone to tell me who is right to be trained". I still think this is the meaning of the line - more than anything else because the Jedi Council seem to treat one another as equals. I find it hard to believe any other them (especially Yoda) would claim it as "his" council, even if he were the head of it.

However, to placate ToMacco it does seem clear that Yoda is the most senior and respected figure on the Council and that you don't have to be the head of something in order to be the person that leads it.

yerssot
finally! somebody gives the line!!!!
and for me it's quite clear, it's like Brith said, HE tells who will be trained...

and I must agree that Yoda is the respected one + they all treat eachother as equals...

King Jedi
Samuel L Jackson said on TV last night that he was "second in command of the Jedi Council".

yerssot
darn

King Jedi
That's good. It means Yoda rules.smile

yerssot
guess I heared it wrong big grin

King Jedi
Yoda's still the master!!! Hoooray!!!!!smile
I only wish he was still the puppet.sad

yerssot
not that keen on the cgi huh?

King Jedi
I think the CGI looks amazing. But Yoda should always be a puppet.sad

yerssot
for crying out loud! the cgi is bad!!! (didn't want to use the other word)

King Jedi
The CGI is amazing! Everyone thinks so. It's just that dodgy Belgian T.V again.big grin

yerssot
I didn't saw it on tv, I saw it on the computer

ToMacco
They've gone too far with CGI, now that Yoda is.

In III, they won't even hire the actors back, it will all be done on computers, for christ sake.mad

yerssot
and explain me then: why are Portman and Hayden again contracted to play in EpIII?

King Jedi
Tomacco has a jealousy problem with Lucas.laughing out loud
Just let it go To!

Ushgarak
Ok, first of all, Brith is, of course, right. Yoda never EVER said he was head of the Council, at any point at all, ever.

Next, reference sources say Windu is head. This is not definitive, but it is a good indication. Nothing has ever contradicted it and it is the generally accepted version of things.

Yoda may seem the more logical choice, but for all we know he WAS head for three centuries, or something. The idea of moving on and letting a younger person take your place- but still being the most respected member- works out fine.

SLJ DID say he was second in command, but to be honest I don't actually think he is in the know on this one.

yerssot
so... I listent right?

Ushgarak
Err... maybe. How do you mean?

ToMacco
Ush, in "The Empire Strikes Back" Yoda did say he was the head of the counsil. Go watch it, dammit!

It's the scene where Yoda brings Luke to his house.

"How far away is Yoda, will it take us long to get there?" That scene.

When Yoda reveals himself to Luke. Luke claims that he is ready. Yoda said "My own concil I kept on who was to be trained." What other counsel would he be talking about? You're wrong, Ush, my friend.

Everyone stop what you are doing to go to that point in the movie. It's right there. Why would he say "My own counsel" if he wasn't the head?

If he wasn't the head, then he claimed at that point that he was.

bigsef2
this is a direct quote from the article (on this website i might add) about samuel l jacksons interview

Sam's answer; 'Heck no! I asked to be there, I wanted to be there and I'm like the happiest guy in the world that I'm in that situation. He was greatly enthused about his first appearance with Yoda and how he was Second in Command of the Jedi Council. Sitting next to Yoda in the Jedi Council was his 'biggest thrill.'

so, mace windu himself says hes second in command. those of you who disagree can kiss his arse smile

ToMacco
yeahbig grin

King Jedi
And he also went into detail in the U.K Mag about how "everyone was second to Yoda".

Ushgarak
To, PLEASE read things properly in future. Your entire point has already been discredited earlier. I do hate it when we have to repeat things...

Yoda says "My own COUNSEL I will keep on who is to be trained." Not COUNCIL.

COUNSEL means advice. Yoda is saying that HE will choose who he will and will not train. He is not in any way or form talking about the COUNCIL (a body of rulers or advisors) from the new trilogy! He repeats the line about keeping his own counsel in TPM- and this time he uses the word 'we'. As in the Council will keep its own counsel.

In ESB, Yoda is talking in the present tense and clearly not talking about the past. As if he would say it was 'his' council, anyway! He maybe headed it, he never OWNED it!

To read that line to mean that Yoda was the Council head is just silly! It's not even vaguely phrased in that way!

It is you that is totally wrong, To. Sorry.

So. Yoda has never, EVER said he headed the Council, SLJ is not in the know and reference sources say it is Windu.

yerssot
yeah, but SLJ had to base his talks on something?

Ushgarak
Yeah, that everyone loves Yoda and that Yoda is the most powerful Jedi.

ON THE OTHER HAND... it's not yet been DEFINITVELY stated that Windu is head. Nor has it been stated that Yoda is. In fact, it has never even been canonically stated that there IS a head. So let's see if AOTC helps clear this up.

Brith

Ushgarak
Damn his bearded face...

yerssot
like the knights of King Arthur?

Ushgarak
Well, no matter which way they put it, they still had a King. But everyone's voice was treated equally at the Table.

yerssot
but from what I've heared there are a lot of JC members trained by someone else on the JC, so the one that has the more trainees on the JC would be the master, no?

Ushgarak
Maybe. I don't know. No-one knows.

queeq
Yoda OWNING the JC? Now that's an original point of view as I ever heard one. I'll store that along with "Palpatine and Sidious are two different persons." big grin

Ushgarak
His cunning plan to enslave the Council... wow! He IS the traitor!

queeq
He's probably Palpy's brother as well.

yerssot
eek!

queeq
Or his father.

yerssot
yeah right! it's his mother!

queeq
No, that's Yaddle.

yerssot
and yaddle and yoda are married

King Jedi
Yes Yoda and Yaddle are Anakins real parents. Yoda has this plan to overthrow the Jedi so he sent the baby Anakin to Tatooine to live with Shmi who is a little old lady by day and an Evil Sith apprentice by night.smokin'

LaurenE147
And Padme is really Anakin's sister and Luke and Leia are the illegitimate children of an incestuous relationship.

yerssot
I knew it!

peluffo
WHAT THE H*** ARE YOU SMOKIN????

can you give me some?

LaurenE147
Weren't you the one that sold it to me?

yerssot
ohho! eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.