the free willy whale dies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alic88
sad Keiko, the killer whale that starred in the film Free Willy, has died in Norway at the age of 27, 18 months after he was returned to the wild.
The six-ton whale apparently suffered a sudden bout of pneumonia in the fjord where he had been living.

Keiko was captured when two, but after the success of the film, he was freed from cramped conditions in Mexico City.

After his release into the wild in Iceland, Keiko swam to Norway, where he became a popular attraction.

Killer whales live an average of 35 years in the wild.

Sudden decline

Keiko became ill very quickly, according to Dane Richards who looked after the mammal.

"He exhibited some signs of lethargy and lack of appetite," Mr Richards told the Associated Press.

"We checked his respiration rate and it was a little irregular ... he wasn't doing too well. Early in the evening, he passed away," said Mr Richards.

"They really do die quickly and there was nothing we could do," said Nick Braden, a spokesman of the Humane Society of the United States.

Swimming to freedom

Keiko, whose name means "Lucky One" in Japanese, starred in three Free Willy films, in which a young boy befriends a killer whale and encourages him to jump over an aquarium wall to ocean freedom.

Captured near Iceland in 1979, Keiko ended up in a marine park in Mexico.

Inspired by the films, an international campaign began in 1993 to free Keiko and return him to the wild - the first orca whale to be freed in this way.

"We took him from near death in Mexico to swimming with wild whales in Norway," said David Phillips, executive director of the Free Willy-Keiko Foundation.

After being trained to catch fish, Keiko was released off Iceland in July 2002, and swam to Norway, where he became so popular that he was moved to a more remote fjord for his own comfort.

Mr Phillips said it had still not been decided whether he should be buried on land or at sea.

"My preference would be to bury him on land," he said.

"If you bury him on land we could still recover his skeleton and that might have some value in a museum or something, but that is still being worked out."

beaujay1
oh i just saw it too! terrible really

Neo_Version 7
hey, thats pretty funny!

Bad Boy
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!

namarie
poor keiko

cermiestar
keiko!!! :'(

SilverFighter
No more Free Willy for awhile.

Darth Vicious
Sad but suddenly i, hungry for some fish, u think theyll send me a piece of Willy to cook?

fini
ah well..............he did live to a good age and he was set in the ocean......so i guess its been a good run for him

they should leave his remains in the sea........keeping the skeleton is practically useless.............return him to nature's cycle.............ie fish, shark, and other organisms FOOD

hahah fatass whale

Maikahyandowen
HAHA!!! stupid scientists.......

Julie
ha ha ha....poor whale....poor scientists

Palaka
Can you believe they actually BURIED him?!

Julie
they did what?????......I amend....stupid scientists

thorC
i reeally miss him. i saw his movie when i was a kid. i really really miss him. You know i caried when i 've read the news.

Julie
really.....wow ...you must have really liked the movies.

mardook
Stupid whale... good for him. Demanding a big paycheck for FW 4 showed you didn't it???

laughing

I'm just kidding! Sorry to hear about Keiko. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.