what happened in batman #612? (batman vs superman)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

batmanrules
hey, i never got a hold on batman #612, the hush series. if anyone has it, can u please tell me what happened in superman vs batman. and i want details too.

X-Menfan2003
Finally got that issue today, so here's what happened...

Catwoman comes too and asks Batman what hit them. Batman tells her that it was 'him', as they both stare up at Superman & Poison Ivy. Ivy then asks her 'lover' to kill them. Catwoman asks Batman if he has a plan, and luckily, he does. He apparantly knows what Superman is going to do. He dives forward and grabs Catwoman as Superman fires his heat vision. Batman begins running towards the hole created, while Catwoman asks where they are going. They dive into the hole and end up in some water. Ivy is quite annoyed by this. Batman can tell that Catwoman is panicking and equips them both with air masks, before activating his own Nightvision and Jet boots. They them swin off towards a series of pipes.

Meanwhile, Ivy is complaining about Superman's action, and he tells her that he can't kill. Ivy then corrects him by saying that the plants he killed were he children, so he has already caused a death. Ivy can then tell that her control of him is weakening, so she makes him kiss her once more. Back with Batman and Catwoman, they are running through a series of tunnels and end up a crossroad. Oracle then tells them that they are 'close enough'. Batman explains to Catwoman that the Parasite and Superman battled in the tunnels years before. He then places mini bat-lights on the wall and then takes the Krytonite ring from his belt and puts it on. Catwoman asks Batman if she's studdied Superman and he tells her that he is the best at what he does. Catwoman looks worried, but he then tells her that he's the best at what he does!!!

Batman then asks Catwoman if she's knows the 'plan'. She replies with saying 'any one of the three of them'. She ultimatly chooses Lois Lane, as that the way to Superman's heart. Batman asks if she's studdied him also, and she replies by kissing him. When asked why, she replies by saying that he might not be able to later on. A loud 'thoom' can he heard, so Catwoman takes off to complete her part of the plan. Superman then bursts though the tunnel wall, and Batman welcomes him by punching him in the face. He does this 2 more time, before saying that another punch will break his hand. Batman then activates some hypersonics to deafen him, and Superman uses his ice breath to freeze his hand with the Kryptionite ring. Batman says that he's holding back, so he activates the mini-batlights, which blind Superman. Batman then fires a grapling hook at the hole Superman came from.

Superman then punches forward, but Batman jumps over him and escapes, as Superman punches a power box and gets shocked. The entire city is blacked out, but it comes back to life moments later. Superman then bursts though the street below and picks up a car with one hand and simply says: "This Ends Now!!!" Batman then tells him to look up. We then learn that they are in fact outside the Daily Planet. We also learn that Catwoman is hanging Lois out the window. Batman says that he can either continue this fight, or end it and help Lois from certain death. Lois elbows Catwoman in the gut and falls, just as Superman flies up and saves her. Poison Ivy's control over him is over.

Afer a discussion, Superman and Batman agree to work together to find Ivy. Superman says that a friend of his can help, but he first has to get a new costume. At Ivy's penthouse, which is where Bruce and Tommy stayed as childen, Batman shows up with Superman. Ivy tries to escape, but Superdog (or whatever he's called) blocks her way. Catwoman then makes an appearance and punches out Ivy. Superman asks if that was necessary, and both Batman and Catwoman says yes.

We go to a rooftop, whre Superdog is licking Catwoman. Batman and Superman are talking about their battle, and that Lois could have been killed. Batman says that he believed in him, and they shake hands. Superman then says that he's knows that giving him the Krytonite ring was a good idea. In the distance, we can see Hush...

That's the whole issue. Hope this helps...

kal-el
That was well done. I only bought that coz I saw the brilliant cover with supes choking bats with one hand(I thought FINALLY, but no, I was disappointed). But bats DID say that if he wanted to supes could squash 'in a second with his speed but no matter whos controlling him,deep inside, clarke is a good person and deep inside, maybe I'm not'.

U Neek
Erm hi X-Menfan2003,

I am a huge Batman fan but I missed the whole Hush storyline. Actually I had to stop collecting the comics after the whole Contagion/Legacy sagas.

So in short, what was the "Hush" storyline about? I had heard that Batman does something that he's never done before (could it be he killed someone?) and your post made it sound like "Hush" is a person ("In the distance, we can see Hush..."wink So who/what is Hush?

Thanks in advance for your help (here's hoping I can get back into the comics after collecting Spider-Man ones for a while!)

U Neek

Herr Logan
Batman took off his mask in front of Catwoman and said that he trusted her. Never did that before.

punkyhermy
what is "hush"?everyone's talking about it.plz someone,educate me!

punkyhermy
WHAT?HE TOOK OFF HIS MASK?WOW!
i not sure whether i'm impressed or disapointed...

X-Menfan2003
Hush is a mysterious new villian who has been manipulating Batman and his foes. We only see Catwoman, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy before this issue, and each of them is been manipulated. Hush arranged from Killer Croc to kidnap a child with wealthy parents, and Batman immedialty know that someone else is pulling the strings. It isn't in his MO apparantly. Then, Catwoman steals the ransom money, which isn't like her either. When Batman follows, Hush cuts his rope and he falls down into the street and almost dies. Hush is somewho using Batman's villians to hurt Batman, but no-one knows who he really is. I do, but i'm not going to spoil it for people who don't want to know.

U Neek
Thanks for your post X-Menfan2003 and Herr Logan, it's much appreciated.

I doubt I am going to get a chance in the next few months to pick up the complete Hush storyline in a graphic novel (if it's been brought out as one) so could someone please send me a private message letting me know who Hush is and what happens?

Whoa, he takes his mask off? He must have some pretty deep feelings for Catwoman to do summick like that. That is a major shock. I thought he killed the Joker cos I know there is one issue to Tec where you see Joker being strangled to death by Batman.

Are you a fan of Batman, X-Menfan2003?

Thanks to both of youse for your input.

U Neek

Herr Logan
Never, ever assumer that a person being attacked on the cover is going to die. Of course they wanted you to think that he was going to die, but that doesn't make any sense.

kal-el
good point, thats why I was so let down. Not that I wanted bats to die coz he's the man, but I wanted some supes retribution for once.

Herr Logan
I was referring to the Joker, but yeah, there wasn't any chance of Batman dying.
Retribution actually means punishment delivered by a third party, as in captial punishment, but I get your meaning. Superman has killed before. He killed three Kryptonians from another dimension and then exiled himself in space and then went nuts and developed a split personality. Maybe it's best Superman doesn't get his cold slice of revenge in the future.

kal-el
Damn this awful vocabulary!!!!!! What happened with the joker?And supes deserves some payback against the bat.There should be an incidence when he just slaps him like he was his daddy!Coz he wouldnt want top hurt him properly.Just to slap him 20 feet or so would let him know what a puny human he is! Even though I do love bats aswell.

U Neek
Hi Kal-el,

You should check out the Batman storyline "A Death in the Family" (takes place in Batman #426-429). Superman is in that story for the last two issues (last few pages of #428, in for majority of #429). Although you don't see Superman do anything, a government official does warn Batman that if he steps outta line, the president has asked Superman to slap him about. That's in Batman #429. In Batman #428, Batman punches Superman. Supes informs Batman that he's lucky he "rolled" with the punch cos if he didn't, Batman would have crippled his hand. As it stands he's only bruised a couple of knuckles.

So whiles Supes ain't never had any "payback" as you put it, there has been an incident between the S man and Batman to illustrate the power Superman can have over a human.

Hope this helps.

U Neek

kal-el
it sure does help, thanks, I'll have to find a copy of that story arc. Is bats stupid?punching supes without a kryptonite ring?

Gregory
That's the story where the second Robin is brutally murdered by the Joker, and Superman protects the Joker for political reasons. Hardly his finest moment, in my opinion.

U Neek
Like Gregory said, it was hardly Batman's finest moment when he hit Superman. But BM was so emotionally damaged from losing Robin that lashing out at anyone is what he wanted to do. Matters where made worse when Superman was assigned to protect Robin's killer (Joker) knowing full well how Batman would have felt about this.

"A Death in the Family" is a fairly old storyline and picking up the individual comics might cost you a fair bit. But they have all the issues compressed into one graphic novel, which should be available for around a tenner. Well worth the read, and you Kal-el being the big Superman fan that you are will enjoy the last two installments of the story.

U Neek

Herr Logan
I thought he meant it was hardly Superman's finest moment. Protecting the Joker, for any reason, is a despicable thing to do. Politics have always tied Superman's hands when it came to doing the right thing. Superman is great, but he has some huge weak spots when it comes to compliance with unjust laws and refusal to get lasting results. The only reason I can even tolerate the Batman's lack of will to kill these murderous recidicists is that if the Joker and company didn't survive to plague humanity another day, the comics wouldn't last and wouldn't be any good. Spider-Man's even worse. He actually saved the psychotic murderer Venom who, was dying of natural causes, by returning his power source to him. I understand the need to keep such characters alive, but they shouldn't have the heroes cheating death for dying villains.

Gregory
Yup.

kal-el
supes is a bit of a puppet at times. He should never let himself be 'on-call' for the government, whatever he does should be on his terms.

U Neek
Sorry, I thought he meant Batman's finest moment.

Herr Logan
Did you read "Batman: Return of the Dark Knight?" This demonstrates the puppet aspect of Superman perfectly, and the conformist/extremist dynamic between the Batman and Clark.

kal-el
yeah, that was the best example that sprung to mind. Great comic , one of the greats. Supes should just scrap the 'american way' bit off his tagline. It was originally just, 'truth and justice' in the comics,the first TV series (1950s) was when they added 'and the american way'. It's seems to have bound him to Uncle Sams government. Supes should just do his usual patrols, save Earth and the people on it from Alien threats, natural disasters etc, solve petty crimes when in the immediate proximity and just stick to that-No obligations.They're his powers, it should all be on his terms.

Herr Logan
Clearly he chose his terms, and they include respecting the Earth's governments. Thank Ma and Pa Kent.

kal-el
Well he doesnt have to go against them and I see no problem in respecting them but he needn't have such an arrangment with them.Aaaah, Ma & Pa Kent, what wholesome people

Herr Logan
He should have stayed out of it with the the Batman and the Joker, but he was probably asked by the government, and it's hard to say "no" when you want to keep their trust and uphold the law. I'm not excusing it, but I can also see it from Superman's squeaky-clean, unambiguous perspective.

kal-el
exactly.I cant believe bats hasnt killed him yet(well obviously the comics continuity is the reason). In one of the crossovers, joker came the closest he's been to getting killed: looking down the barrel of the punishers gun. Then who jumps Frank and tells joker ' run...run for your life!'- Batman! What a hypercrit!!

David Duchovony
Superman complies with the laws because his greatest fear is going rouge and destroying humanity. He needs some earthly power to make himself feel at least some form of subjugation. He needs to feel vunerable and that's why when he was wanted, he turned himself in.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.