Which Elvish ancestor is Arwen supposed to resemble?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bluey_seas
I have look at the index of the book..but it's so confusing confused ...so does anyone know which ancestor does Arwen supposes to resemble?

bluey_seas
Is it Luthien Tinuviel?

sauron
luthien, well shes not supposed to resemble her, just be the fairest since her

nazgulinthedark
*yawn* ringwraiths are fairer

sauron
yes i mean what could be sexier than a corpse that walks, i mean those decaying lips, those revelaing outfits *drool*

Camellia
Yes, when Aragorn first sets his eyes upon Arwen, he is reminded of Luthien - I guess in a way, their love story shows some resemblance to that of Luthien's and Beren's. (I did get the names right didn't I?!?!?)

sauron
yeah

they both set out on a quest because it is the only way they could win there ladys hearts, BUT how did she remind him of luthien because he has never seen her, and it is said that nothing could compare with her beauty, so no drawings of her would come close to the real thing

Ariadne
But wasn't Aragorn walking around singing about Luthien when he first saw Arwen and she was so beautiful he just kind of thought she must be Luthien or something? I need to read the Appendices more carefully.

claidisa_felton
no it was cos aragorn was singing about luthien tinuviel and then he saw arwen and she was so beautiful that he thought it was luthien (something about elves being able to conjure up the image they were singing about, i dunno)

Dyl
Isn't it just one of those things, you know, that's how Aragorn would have pictured her.... You know, how you sometimes picture people in books...

sauron
yeah probably

Aurora
Actually in the FOTR Book 2 Chapter 1 it says: "Soi t was thatFrodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen; Arwen, Daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Luthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people."

IMAO I think that Tolkien wanted her to resemble Luthien as much as possible, and having Aragorn tell Frodo about Luthien in the book, instead of actually telling him about Arwen, was his way of telling the readers about Arwen w/o actually leaving Frodo's story. IMO!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.