faults in tokiens books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sauron

Sifer
The Eldar called him Sauron, but his name was also:

Gorthaur the Cruel. That is at least what I remember. I will have to consult "The Silmarillion" to confirm this. But I am pretty sure it's right.

Sifer
Oh, and Tolkien always had an explanation for anything anyone faced him with. Alot of it is answered in the other books. But some, like 'Tom Bombadil', he purposely left unanswered but also left hints everywhere as to WHAT or WHO he really is smile

Someone bigger than one may think big grin

nazgulinthedark
wow

Kitoky
.......dude Sauron, I really do think that you're trying to compete against Exa and Turin and all of them. *applauds* Excellent....

Exa
Wow, excellent point.

About names - I think in the beginning, Saurons name wasnt Sauron, perhaps he didnt even have a name. Afterwards he appears with many names, like Thauron, Gorthaur, Annatar, Artano, Aulendil, Dark Lord (haha intelligent name), The Black Hand, The Shadow, The Nameless (yeeees), The Lidless Eye, The Nameless Eyes, The Lord of the Ring(s) and so on and so on.

Another mistake appears in an older version of LoTR when Tolkien describes Glorfindel's horse and uses the phrase "bit and bridle" which was later changed to "headpiece", but the stirrup still remained whereas Legolas says that elves dont use stirrups when riding.

Of course some errors appear when someone writes like Tolkien who sometimes had no idea to go on with the story (fx. Faramir: "I'm sure I did not invent him. He just walked into the woods of Ithilien..."wink

sauron
well no exa it wasnt sauron in the beginning, as sauron means lord of abomintaion and at first he was not evil, he was turned that way by morgoth. so his original name is a mystery as i know he was also called Gorthaur meaning 'terrible dread' so i doubt he was originally called that, for a brief time he was known as annatar A name meaning 'Lord of Gifts, which he didnt adopt until the second age for when he tried to seduce the elves

Exa
I think he didnt have a name in the very beginning... Ainur dont need names.
Yeah I know he was a servant of Aule (->Aulendil) like Saruman, too...

sauron
well i think he did have a name on the beginning, and maybe that is what aragorn meant, he does not permit his original name to be spoken or written, his name from the very beginning of him

Exa
Thats possible, but nobody will be able to speak the name if he doesnt know it wink

sauron
no HE knows it.....but sauron is what the elves named him.....and his name BEFORE he was branded with that....

like me now smile i kill people who call me chris stick out tongue but i allow sauron

chris was my name BEFORE sauron smile

so now that im called sauron, i dislike chris smile

understand??

and yes, i revived this smile

Darth Sauron
And i did it again too

Manôkhâu
Aulendil means 'Aule-friend'-in UT, I think Christopher Tolkien made a mistake in the translation-'Servant of Aule' should be, Aulendur.
And Sauron, Sauron doesn't mean 'Lord of Abomination'?WTF?
Sauron='the Abhorred, the Abhorrent'

Exabyte

Manôkhâu
Well.......holy shit!
sorry.........

ladygrim
how do we know they are mistakes tho mayb he wanted them to go that way ???

Exabyte
laughing

... we never will smile

ladygrim
kewl...

Darth Sauron
Melkore
man i was noobed up

I sacrafice myself to bring to life good threads when i was all noobie style and im mocked

But you will see

Im just like jesus

ladygrim
really ... hmmmm

Darth Sauron
blink Yes really
look at the date....

Agent Elrond
Oh, Sauron, don't give yourself too much credit, I have seen what u posted several times in other forums.

The Tale of Years entry for the year III 2951 states 'Sauron declares himself openly...' At this point, about seventy years before the War of the Ring, Sauron no longer felt any need for secrecy, and so presumably permitted his name to be used from that point on. Aragorn, of course, would have had no way of knowing about this change, which would explain his mistake

that would be my guess.. maybe he wanted a name chnaged and wanted ppl to forget he was Sauron?

Darth Sauron
Oh yeah, take that eek! diva

Bumping

You can so tell i copied this topic.

Mandos
In The silmarrillon, it clearly says (but I can't find the passage): not all Maiar had names, because they didn't need them. Yes, like you said earlier, he was one of Aule's servant, but, (Tolkien's mistake I don't think so), he never told his name until he was seen by the elves which gave him the name of Sauron. Saroumane was also one of Aule's servant and before he came to Middle-Earth, he was known has Curufin. If Tolkien spent time explaining this and didn't explain if Sauron, who rules in LotR books, had a name, it is likely that he didn't have one before Sauron.

Exabyte

Mandos
I...thaty's right hehem! I meant Curunir

Mandos
My mistake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.