Ethical Situation...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
Ok, imagine a situation...

Lets say you are a chief of police in a city or a town, and your whole career you've been truing to catch an organized crime leader. This person you believe is a drug dealer and weapons smuggler, however you've never been able to catch him due to the lack of evidence against him...

Now lets say murder happens, and you arrest that same person for murder, and he is off to the courts to be tried for it. You have finally caught biggest crime leader of your town/city...its what you've been wanting to do for years...this was your goal. If he is convicted, for this murder he will serve a life in prison.

Few hours before you are set t to go to the court, you get a letter of confession. A letter is from the real murderer, confessing to the murder. In the letter the person also says that by the time the police are reading this, he would have committed a suicide...you send few people over to investigate, the prison has really committed suicide, and in the letter he has described the crime so vividly and has given the details of the murder, no one apart from the murderer could have possibly known.

You are now totally convinced that this was the killer and the prison you arrested (and wanted to do so for years) is totally innocent.

So what do you do now....

Do you destroy the letter and pretend like nothing happened, and let the innocent prison go to jail for life for something he didnt do, even though hes a crook?

or

Do you show the letter as an evidence and free this man again on the streets, selling drugs to children and smuggling weapons into your town?

Julie
I dunno what others would do.....but the "right" thing to do ....IMHO is to let the scumbag go....God is truly just and in the end, the bad guy will get his comupance

lil bitchiness
Yeah...thats true. But do you let him go to jail...even though hes innocent..hes guilty for other crimes, true, but he is innocent of that particular one...do you still let him go to prison..
Is that the right exercise of justice...confused

Julie
I just said to let the jerk go.......gather more evidence and get him for a crime he did commit

silver_tears
Like you said Lil justice.....
Innocent until proven guilty, if he hasn't been convicted of those crimes than no one has the right to judge him for it.
I would show the letter and let him go and then try again to get him for the other things he may have done.

GABRIEL05
Do the right thing: Let him go but not before beating the ever loving crap out of him.

lil bitchiness
Agreed to the fullest! yes

Baylin
Let the b****rd swing for it! I see enough kids drawn into and killed by drugs I would have absolutley no moral dilema in destroying the letter and letting a technical injustice occur!
Of course if I had any doubts about the guys past crim record then I wouldn't but if he was one of those that flaunts in your face and gets away with it then to hell with him!

Julie
I see.....strong view there eh?

Baylin
Yes well when you've had to deal with a dead 16 year old from a heroin od you'd have pretty strong views too!
Sorry if that seems harsh I just hate to see such a waste of life! mad sad

Palaka
I know I'm a newbie and all, but allow me to put some names to this to see if it changes anyone's opinions. Say the guy you had been chasing your whole career was Osama Bin Laden, and you got him for that one murder ONLY. Would you still let him go?

I know that legally, the right thing to do would be let him go, but sometimes the legally correct thing isn't the right thing to do.

Julie
I still maintain that God is the ultimate judge....whether a scumbag is left here a little longer because it's the "right thing" or put behind bars for life.....it's all in His hands anyway.

Sometimes the right thing is hard....because you know that innocents could die for it......sad

Baylin
Yes it is! Its also one of life frustrations that keeps appearing over and over again. You get rid of one bit of scum another takes it's place sad

Julie
at the core...we are all "evil"......just have to learn to live together.

Baylin
Thats a little harsh, we all have the capacity for "evil" but that doesn't mean we all are!

The One Himself
without any hypocrisy...the letter will disappear forever...

lil bitchiness
So you would not pay any attention to Justice? You would condam this man to a life in prison for something he didnt do?

Is justice system there to serve Justice or revenge?

mechmoggy
It seems most believe God will be the final judge, but that opinion only works if you're a believer.

I'd write my shopping list on the back of that note before tootling off to the shops for some retail therapy while the court case rolls on.... evil face

kalantiaw
what if this guy thinks god is on his side... or he is a messenger of this god... or his god told him to do the things he is doing or have done..? our god is not the same supreme entity that every single person believes in... i'm not disagreeing with you, since i share your sentiment... God IS the ultimate judge (i hope we're talking of the one same God)... i'm just pointing out the facts that people's beliefs differ from one to another...

and i would rather see this guy in jail... if i was the person trying to nail him all these years for drug trafficking and what- not, it would bring me greater pleasure to see him getting hauled away for the crimes he DID commit... but think of the kids... this is truly a dillemma... i wouldn't know what to say unless i am put in that situation... but like i said, i'd rather see him in prison smokin' ...

lil bitchiness
Yeah...this wasnt ment to an easy question to answer, thats why i kind of hoped to see what people think...i think i would have given the letter as an evidence...

The One Himself
Sometimes ethics and justice do not work in real life...It is very easy to say: "Ok, I will do the right thing..." and let another crook free.

lil bitchiness
I this case ethics and justice work on the same side...

How would you feel if you have done something wrong...and the poice havent caught you...yet someone else does a worse crime and you get convicted.

Would you rather burn for someone elses crime? Or your own?

kalantiaw
though he is technically innocent, he did commit some crimes... the jsutice system does not always work (ever heard of OJ simpson)... the corruption of the system is deep... and don't you think the judiciary system condemn these prisoners..? isn't that what the judiciary system is for... to condemn people to life imprisonment, or ever worse death..?

let's say you did bring this letter to the attention of the court... you're just a mere detective, not the judge... what i'm saying is what if the judge renders the letter inadmisable..? or worse, orders you to destrot the letter making sure that there are no traces of it... what is the system's function then..?

you know what this would make a great movie plot cool big grin ... i can see it now lil b...

screenplay by lil bitchiness
directed by kalantiaw
an lb-k productions
presents...
*text flashes in screen*
UPHOLD THE LAW
SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST
PROTECT THE INNOCENT
*movie scene teasers*
"ezekiel 25: 17" (<<<movie title)
what would YOU do?
coming soon

think of the royalties lil b cool eek!

sorry, got a little of track there confused ...

The One Himself
So make a exercise and picture this: You let him free and few days after he kill someone...Complicated... confused

lil bitchiness
laughing out loud laughing out loud I like it!!! evil face (mmmm money)

Yeah...thats true, he is guilty of OTHER crimes, but not that paticular one...doesnt that count?

Like i said before, would you want to burn for someone elses crimes?

lil bitchiness
He didnt kill anyone though...thats the thing..confused

Julie
no he's just another lowlife....who likes to give drugs to kids.....

mechmoggy
He probably sells the drugs Jules.

I've never come across a dealer who's that generous. wink

Julie
you know what I ment, Mech.
nice hat:-)

mechmoggy
I know, I was just being cheeky. wink

Raz made the hat for me, I think it brings out my eyes.

Julie
I don't know how to quote....but someone asked about what if the guy thought God was on his side...he was a prophet of God or somthing like that.....I'd say they'd have to check him in to a mental fecility and then he wouldn't be on the streets anyway

mechmoggy
To quote someone, there's a quote button in the bottom right hand side of their post. Click that and your next post will have the quote in it. big grin

Julie
I see.....well yes...there is that:-)

The One Himself
Ok, he did not kill anyone. But maybe he is selling drugs to kids..it is the same thing in my point of view...

mechmoggy
That depends on what he's selling.

Fire
Well I would give the lettre as evidence to free the crime lord

or atleast that's what I hope I would do

since justice still needs to be uphold, you can NOT FRAME someone for a murder he didn't do, no matter who it is

lil bitchiness
My view exactly Fire!! yes

Fire
Thx lil

lil bitchiness
You know people tend to agree with you Fire!! big grin

Fire
I know, that's cause I'm so l33t

nah just kidding, I just use common sence most of the time

Corlindel
Free the innocent crook.

You are all forgetting that if you don't free the crook you can't arrest the true murderer.

This question it isn't an ethical question since the moment you let a murderer be free only to prossecute your personal vengeance.

At that moment you are involved at the murder that you want the crook to be punish.

Better to arrest yourself too after destroy the letter.

stick out tongue

mechmoggy
How about if I destroy the letter to send the dealer down, then find out who really did the murder and frame them for another crime instead? stick out tongue

silver_tears
laughing out loud now that's a plan wink

Corlindel
The best way should be arrest you or half of the city would be arrested only to satisfy yourself stick out tongue

Fire
hehe

lil bitchiness
The real murderer confesed to the crime, then killed himself! stick out tongue

mechmoggy
Ahhhh, all's well that ends well. big grin

cermiestar
nice! laughing out loud

LanceWindu
* Dusts off hands *

My job here is done.

mechmoggy
Closing......

wink

lil bitchiness
noooo *overdramatic pose...with some tears in eyes like so---->* http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cry.gif

stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
Then again, there is always

''Shoot them all and let the God sort them out'' approach....confused

Vader
I would let the scumbag go free because if I don't I will be reduced to his level, I would become a criminal and is me that I have to live with. This is one of the reasons I'm not a policeman.

Lil'one, this is an excellent thread, you get a brownie point for that.

Gotwa
I'd just destroy the evidence and convict the guy. To hell with you people and you're stuff about God. I'm athiest and proud. And a twisted person. smile

lil bitchiness
mmmmmmmmmmmm a brownie *drool*

Thank you big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.