Mythology

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
I love mithology! I think its amazing! Especially Greek..yes
Chinese mithology is amazing...and very philosophical!!

Also Norse mythology, Scandinavian mythology, Viking mythology; all refer to the pre-Christian religion of the Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, and Danish peoples.

Anyone knows any cool stories...

ok, i'll start. The reason why we have Echo..

In Greek mithology....

She was a nymth who distracted Godess Hera while her husband god Zeus was having an afair..when Hera found this out, she cursed Echo to never speak again, but only repeat anothers last words....

big grin

Phoenix
My fave is the Muses! Give me a sec, i'll post some stuff...

Phoenix
http://eliki.com/portals/fantasy/circle/define.html

lil bitchiness
Coolness!

Did you know there are also 'Furies'? Thats where the expression ''furious'' comes from. They were spirits that possesed people and made them to foolish stuff...like kill...they made them angry...hense 'fury'! big grin

Phoenix
Yeah, they were cool! I find all the sorta 'Servents of the Gods' actually more interesting thn the Gods themselves!

lil bitchiness
Yeah, thats true...same here!! Cos most of them were doing stuff they shouldnt and got punished...yes as well as humans!!

SilverFighter
Mythology is cool I like the mortals more than the gods. My favorite mythology tales are Native American.

lil bitchiness
Do you know any? I love Native American stories...yes

SilverFighter
Sure check this site out:

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/americas/native_american/articles.html

There is not a lot but these are the most famous ones.

SilverFighter
I'll try to post some Navajo and Cherokee tales smile

Baylin
I love werewolf myths n legends. The thing I really dig is that most cultures around the world have some sort of werebeast myth.

yerssot
got my books of mythology at home messed

lil bitchiness
Im wanting a full collection of Greek ones..messed but they are sooo expencive!

mors823
The mainsite for this link should contain info on other religions. Everyone should know who Mors is, God of Death. A lot of world are related to Greek myth, like Arachnia, who claimed she could sew better than the Gods and was transfomed into a spider.

SilverFighter
It's an encyclopedia website it only provides brief describtions of certain world mythology. I like it is very useful for research on folktales and myths.

KidRock
i know a lot about greek and roman mythology but tell me some of the chinese mythology

lil bitchiness
Im really interested in it, but i dont know much about it...i was hoping people here can tell us more...confused those who know of course..

Kosta
Chineese history (Around the time of the Han dinasty) Is some of my favorite. I also love greek myth.

Lord_Andres
Also Norse mythology, Scandinavian mythology, Viking mythology; all refer to the pre-Christian religion of the Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, and Danish peoples.

hey Faroese people too!!! mad

why we have thunder in Norse Mythology:

when the god Thor son of Odin(the master god in Norse Mythology) rides on the sky it thunders on the lands that he rides above

shaber
And Narcissus is where we get NPD from! laughing

finti
Norse mythology also includes the northern parts of Germany, Orkney Islands, Greenland, Faeroe Islands, Parts of England, Parts of Scotland, Parts of Ireland, Parts of Wales, Isle Of Man and so on, Basicly the areas the Vikings settled but which now are parts of other countries than Norway and Denmark (the norse countries that settled to the west,. the swedes went east)

thorncrawler
my favourtite is greek, but thats only cos i know the most about it, i love others too

yerssot
I suddenly really want to reread the books messed

grymlock
i love any mythology... greek,chinese,japanese,arab,malay etc... coz it's bring out the flavor of the culture... cheers mate!!

satyr

lil bitchiness
Good!! my plan to educate people outside school is working! big grin

grymlock
suddenly having an urge for searching the Pandora box emmm sound familiar...

cheers mate!!

Fire
best Mythology is japanese mythology

Storm
eek! Did I read the word mythology? eek!
*rushes in*

Lord_Andres
no Greek and norse are by far the bestsmile Odyssey a.s.osmile

Fire
sorry mate I still think Japanese is the way to go

yerssot
no!

Storm
yes I did!

yerssot
wanna bet you didn't

Storm
(yes 'cause I' ll win :yessmile

yerssot
they always let you win

shaber
Has anyone come across the african myth of Fenyane love and the moselantja evil face sick monster?

shaber
I know two african afterlife myths which work on a similair premise of there being a specific PLACE for spirits. The first cool covers evil evil face spirits and the second, good spirits. Whilst the first is cool, the latter was a little too sugary for my taste, but in brief, it covers a man visiting his parents in the underworld, where they give him a container for tobacco seeds. I hadn't known that there was tobacco in pre-colonial africa embarrasment The africans thought that it must have been a gift from their ancestors, who are the source of all life.

The base for the evil spirits by contrast, is seen as a threatening place, for the evil spirits crave human meat and will go to considerable lengths to procure it big grin The myth tells of how they capture a young couple by sending a talking skull to ambush them, but the victims are subsequently rescued by a spider, "...evil spirits are like flies...I can easily catch and eat hundreds in a day..." big grin

grymlock
i think indonesian mythology is by far most horror then all...

yerss i have to agree with storm, she did mention it...

cheers mate!!

cermiestar
Beowolf!! (sp)

Julie
That's a myth...I never read it...but it was in one of my old text books....
*sigh*.....so many good myths to read...and where shall I start>?

yerssot
at the beginning, all the cultures have myths about the creation of the world

cermiestar
irish mythology is vry tragic...

SlayerChick1188
I love Greek Mythology!

I was bored one day so i decided to write a ficiton story about the greek gods, about what happened to them after their religions faded...It's set in modern times...still in the works, but its turning out pretty cool so far!

Storm
My favorites are the Greek, the Roman and the Norse mythology.

yerssot
*bangs head against the wall*
I have the books NOW! what am I studying than?
*runs off to get the books*

cermiestar
books! eek!

Fire
okie messed

Storm
confused

Fire
same thing here sweety

yerssot
er...yay books?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.