Medstar 1: Battle Surgeons, thoughts??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Volundro Ramm
Although i am yet to read "Shatterpoint", the combination of Steve Perry and Michael Reeves is very intreeeeeging.

The Clone Wars that swept across the galaxy in the twilight years of the Republic engulfed more than Jedi Knights, clone troopers and droid soldiers. On the fierce battlefields of Drongar, a tiny med unit tends to those wounded from the ceaseless combat waged on the jungle world for control of a priceless native plant.
In the pages of this forthcoming Clone Wars novel, readers will meet a surgeon that cloaks his despair with sardonic wit; another who weathers the death and misery of Drongar by making beautiful music; a compassionate nurse with her heart in her work and her eye on a doctor; and a Jedi Padawan on a healing mission without her Master.
These are the characters of Battle Surgeons, the first book of the MedStar duology. Writing this paperback novel release are two veteran Star Wars novelists, Michael Reeves (author of Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter) and Steve Perry (author of Shadows of the Empire.) Here's a first look of the cover art by Dave Seeley, featuring Jedi Padawan Barriss Offee.
Star Wars MedStar I: Battle Surgeons, a Clone Wars novel, is scheduled for release in July 2004 from Del Rey Books.

Thoughts

VengeanceGOD
Interesting...a Star Wars novel that doesn't follow the main characters. Cool idea.

yerssot
it seems weird how they placed it... with one singing (or making music) and another one with wit... though, things could still change as they still have to write it all

Volundro Ramm
i would have thought its already been written.

yerssot
it's due in july, I doubt they already finished messed

mephistodesigns
they plan the novels quite a bit in advance now. Its probably in its final edits. But this could be really boring too. I'm interested in Bariss only because I really liked the way Foster handled the contrast between Anakin and her in "The Approaching Storm". I would've probably skipped it if it weren't at least for that little bit of Jedi pressence.

yerssot
dunno about the final edits, I mean, SW.C once announced a book the same as they did with this one and it still got cancelled

Volundro Ramm
Books can still be cancelled even when they are finished. Happened in the NJO. The first book in a trilogy called "Knightfall" was finished but then completed.

I for one, would like an EU novel with less jedi presence. Jedi are to one dimensional and predictable.

yerssot
than read the x-wing books wink

Volundro Ramm
if theres one thing i cant get my head around, its space battles. i suppose i should read them, considering oe ofmy favourite characters is Corran Horn.

mephistodesigns
but he's a jedi. not very one dimensional now is he? wink

Volundro Ramm
probably the only non-one dimentional jedi out there.

also, its hard to find EU characters that arent jedi!

mephistodesigns
What? until the new jedi order you pretty much would only hear about Luke, and he was practically a side character until recently. They'd always have him off somewhere meditating or retreating or whatever. It has been pretty clear of Jedi until the NJO, which, jeez, the title sort of implies a bunch of Jedi will be major parts of the story.

VengeanceGOD
Luke was pretty much the central Jedi in all of them, except for the Prequels, obviously. It's only later, when you get to Young Jedi Knights and the New Jedi Order that you get a lot of Jedi...which is obvious from the title.

As for flat Jedi in NJO...yeah, there were one or two of them. Then there was everybody else.

Julie
I think that this should be an interesting duology....I'll definately read it anyway

mephistodesigns
No he wasn't. He was central to Zahn's and kevin j. anderson's. everybody else abandoned him. He was never in it as much as he should have been. and he was always portrayed as this space cadet no it all and he sort of lost a lot of humanity in my book. That's why I like Kevin J. Anderson and Timothy Zahn the best.

Julie
that's why it's EU though.,...to give SW authors the freedom to make up their own characters...and expand on the ones we've come to enjoy so much

Julie
finally got to read this one...it was a good book...not stellar but an entertaining read

yerssot
really? I hope it's decent cause I'll get it soon smile

Julie
you do that...it's a decent read, though I've read better.....Barriss is an interesting character....but the new guys...eh I dunno just couldn't "see" 'em

Insane Monk
The Medstars are like Star Wars M*A*S*H. I thought they were very good.

Darth_Janus
They are pretty good, but the second one is much better.

Darth Somebody
Originally posted by Volundro Ramm
Although i am yet to read "Shatterpoint", the combination of Steve Perry and Michael Reeves is very intreeeeeging.

The Clone Wars that swept across the galaxy in the twilight years of the Republic engulfed more than Jedi Knights, clone troopers and droid soldiers. On the fierce battlefields of Drongar, a tiny med unit tends to those wounded from the ceaseless combat waged on the jungle world for control of a priceless native plant.
In the pages of this forthcoming Clone Wars novel, readers will meet a surgeon that cloaks his despair with sardonic wit; another who weathers the death and misery of Drongar by making beautiful music; a compassionate nurse with her heart in her work and her eye on a doctor; and a Jedi Padawan on a healing mission without her Master.
These are the characters of Battle Surgeons, the first book of the MedStar duology. Writing this paperback novel release are two veteran Star Wars novelists, Michael Reeves (author of Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter) and Steve Perry (author of Shadows of the Empire.) Here's a first look of the cover art by Dave Seeley, featuring Jedi Padawan Barriss Offee.
Star Wars MedStar I: Battle Surgeons, a Clone Wars novel, is scheduled for release in July 2004 from Del Rey Books.

Thoughts

Never read it. The only Steve Perry book I've read is Shadows of the Empire. And also, for those of you who aren't aware, Steve Perry was the lead singer of the rock band Journey. He had a 4.5 octave range and 80s badass.

Sorta. Lol.

That was your Totally Useless Fact of the Day - brought to you in part by Darth Somebody. If you're a Sith Lord, and you've forgotten what the hell your name is - come see Darth Somebody.

Darth Plagues
It's not a very good novel, in my opinion. I got to chapter twenty (Which in other books would probably be chapter 10) and stopped, the novel really doesn't keep you intrested and some of the chapters seem quite pointless. I wouldn't waste the money on it, I expected better from the two authors that wrote it.

Buy "Shatterpoint" instead. Or start reading the "New Jedi Order" series, or any other Star Wars book series.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Volundro Ramm

Thoughts Urgh.

The beautiful music part, the compassionate nurse who has the hots for a doctor, the Padawan on a mission without her master.

It all sounds like the material needed to head down the lane of NJO, where sappiness, corniness and downright unSW-likeness thrives.

Darth_Janus
That's a poor assumption there. If anything, MEdstar gives us insight into how the war affected someone other than just the clone troopers and the high profile jedi and sith. It tells us the story of those who made the war effort possible. And it is a very good duology. If anything is unlike SW, it's that piece of crap Jedi Trial.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.