Questions from the amature

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rolos
I saw a midnight showing of ROTK and it was the most AMAZING movie experience of my life. But as I serious fan, during the movie I found myself plagued with a bunch of silly questions. And rather then look for it in the books, Id rather just ask you guys....the experts....

1) Legolas=part of the elves. Since I dont know much about the elves, are all of them endowed with special powers or something? Elrond and Galadriel are almost psychic ifI have to use a word, but why does Legolas almost appear to be human?

2) Pipe Weed. Are they all stoners? Whats the deal with that.

3) Wasn't the whole paths of dead thing alot more involved in the book, along with the FRodo and Shelob scene?

4) Didnt the movie go way out of sequence with the novels? Because it keep distracting me.

5) Having nothing to do with the movies, WHY IS THE SILMARILION HARD TO READ. Too many confusing names and stuff. Ive tried hard to get going with it, but I stop since I dont know whats really going on or whos whos.

Thanks for help guys.

eldarion
1. elves, especially the higehr elves, ahve sort of mental powers and often can read other's minds. That's why elrond and galadriel "talk" this way.
I don't agree that Legolas appears human. He has a very keen sense of who and what's around him, can see and hear extraordinarily, and fears nothing (except maybe the Balorg).

2. Pipe weed is a realative of tabacco if I understand the books correctly. It says something about it in the first book. I agree, they do all act as if it makes them stoned though in the movie (maybe that's why hobbits like to eat so much!)

3. Yes, it was.

4. Yes, it did. All 3 did.

5. I think you answered your own question here! Remembering names is hard anytime, especially when they keep changing and are in a bunch of different languages. But trust me, you'll understand the movies better once you read it. Just take your time.

Fire
1. Elves are a remarkable species, explaining elves in depth would take a very long time, I'm not the person to do that

2. Pipe weed was, as far as I know, just ment as good brand of tabacco, but in the 1970's a lot of teenagers and ppl in their twenties believed it indeed stood for Weed, Pot, Grass whatever....

3. Haven't seen it but most likely, in any movie that is build from a book it is like that, takes a lot less time, money and effort to show something in a book than it does in a movie.

4. Yes in all three, tho in The Fellowship it was about right
The reason they seriously changed the sequence in ROTK and TTT is because cutting the story in two or three parts like in the book doesn't work very well in movies (alteast not mainstream cinema) Personaly I like the movie sequence better than the book, but that's just me.

5. Silmarillion is very hard to read but certainly worth it, haven't finished it myself YET

sauron

rolos
WOW. thanks. and i have read the book-LOTR though-its impossible for me to get through the Silmarilion

Bar-en-Danwedh
the silmarillion is the best book ever written, it's a smooth read once you get past the first 50 pages.
but 98% of people who pick it up never finish it.

i'm proud to say i did.

ilvorlandobloom
i have that book, but ive only read like the first couple pages.... i guess i need to read it.

Lord_Andres
I started reading it for about a year ago, then gave it op because the beging was to boring, then pickt it op 3 mounths ago stoped after the first 20 pages , but then about 2 weeks ago I tought, I have to read it before ROTK, finished it a week latersmile

ilvorlandobloom
wow, thats cool

Corlindel
Don't be afraid of stop to read Silmarillion coz you will read it at the right time.

I begin to read it with 13 years old - 20 years ago - and I stopped at the first pages of the Valaquenta, trying to memorize all names of Valar and Maiar. I only restart reading it one year after with 14 and then I coudl not stop anymore smile
Now It is my favorite book of ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.