cut outs of rotk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lkotbr33
the end of the movie was a total rip-off. how can they cut out a whole section of the book 'the scouring of the shire' just b/c the director doesnt like it! he didnt write the book! it would have added some more drama and more battle action which is always good. they better have it along with the wedding, the sons of elrond and the dunedain in the extended version when it comes out.

enya
i havent read the book yet so im not sure what he has missed out in detail and it is dissappointing but unfortunely pj counldnt put everything in the book in coz the film would be to long for some people, i would of loved it if went on forever but not everyone would of

manny321
i doubt it, the movie will be to long way to long.

JKozzy
Unfortunately, the scouring wasn't filmed so it won't be in it. The director is the man who makes all the decisions, however if you're going to put such a fantastic series to movies, do it right, and respect the author. Tolkien would be displeased if he saw that parts were cut out completely. Of couse, the extended DVDs are there for a reason, but everything isn't included even in those... mad

JKozzy
And WHO FRIGIN CARES if the movie's five hours or twelve hours long?! That'd kick ass!! yes

enya
there would be thwe problem that if everything was in it that i wouldnt want to leave the cinema till its over and i would piss myself

JKozzy
That's what bottles are for wink

lkotbr33
any one who wouldnt mind if it was 12 hours long is a true fan
if the scouring of the shire was added n e way it would only be like another 10-25 minutes to cover it and thats not bad. It doesnt seem that long b/c its such a cool movie

enya
good point, i will remember that, and i agree with you the movie kicked ass

lkotbr33
if u dont want to miss it to go to the bathroom dont get a drink

JKozzy
Amen! yes

lkotbr33
i hope he does make a hobbit movie that would complete the set

enya
jesus the way i was coughin that wasnt wouldnt be possible, any way it wont be a problem coz unfortunely its over, wait im going to cry *cries* *stops* and wait *cries again*

VengeanceGOD
The Scouring would be nice, but I can see why it's not in there. Even in the books, it feels kinda tacked on to the end, like another story.

JKozzy
If lkotbr33 is right, which I'm pretty sure he is, we have the Hobbit movie to look forward to big grin
Peter Jackson won't let anyone else take over the license because then whoever produced the movie besides him would ruin it. And let it be four hours long, I want a long movie with everything included.

enya
thank u god i can pull myself togetha now

it still wont be the same, i suppose we av got the extended version, do u know if there is any more in isendgard (iz that spelt right) coz there was hardly any thing there

lkotbr33
*isengard* u were close in the book they go to isengard like the movie but they spend more time there they talk to saruman but i have no idea if that will be added

lkotbr33
it does suck that its over though

enya
thanx for the spellin corection, bless me and my stupid self
any way bk to ROTK i hope it iz added i would like that seen to be developed further i dont really know much of the other seens

since you seem to of read the book did something happen with faramir and eowyn coz you saw a clipse of them two togetha and thery looked cosy and i heard a rumour of romance, if its true that would be great and i will look forward to readin it

lkotbr33
if u plan on readin it do u really want me to spoil it 4 u

enya
i spose not, didnt really fink that one through did i, im havin a blonde day, thanx for not answering my question if u get what i mean, it doesnt really make sense

sorry to all blondes if i offended you

im so goin to c the film again maybe tomoro

lkotbr33
i might c it friday again and im not even close to blonde so no but you pretty much have it with faramir and eowyn soo

enya
yah, i did feel bad for her when aragorn basically shattered her hopes of romance

lkotbr33
yeah sorta hes just like standin her up not even a real apology

enya
bless her, but his heart belongs to someone else, is she humman now or wot cos i thought she was dead, ahh aragorn was so gutted when elrond came

JKozzy
Eep. I shouldn't be reading this should I...
Use spoiler tags if you can... and only without the spaces
itll make it look like this so the deprived me can't read them yet

lkotbr33
it does suck for her : its life

Elfstone
i was so mad when i found out the scouring of the shire was gone, PJ will die by the Blade of Elfstone

lkotbr33
right there with ya it was such a good part in the book

Elfstone
it was a great part,

Aurora
PJ didnt' cut the Scouring because he didn't like it he cut it because in a film perspective it seemed anti climatic. I mean u just had a 3 hour battle and u send our heros home and then they have to fight some more. I do wish tham maybe they had not shown the shire right when they returned just later. So if something came up they could add it to it or another movie or anything really. But I guess we aren't that lucky.

The way that Saurman was filmed 12 diff ways, so PJ could pick the best. Since the true way is impossible to show since the Scouring has been cutm, I am not sure how it ended up. I think that they stuck with Grima

I can't wait for the Houses of Healing! Eowyn and Faramir looked soooooooooooooo cute together!

JKozzy
Yes, he did.

From Newsweek:
The Scouring of the Shire: One of the final sequences of the book, where the hobbits come home, find their hometown's gone to pot, kick some butts and restore order. Jackson never liked this section of the book, and never even shot it, so don't look for it on the DVD.

Aurora
Give me a minute and I will find a contridicting article.

beaujay1
so has any1 seen it yet?

DARKVIRUS
Yes beaujay1 and it was excellent. Just read some post's and you will notice who are the ppl who have seen it.

JKozzy
Aaaand where's that contradicting article we promised? roll eyes (sarcastic)

ElvenQueen
If they had the scouring of the shire...the movie would of been way to long. After the ring is destroyed everyone thinks the movie is over...you cant go on for another hour.

Its a great part...but well just have to enjoy it in the book.

Elfstone
He's Stupid for cutting it

Izz
There would be so much to explain and do if PJ had put in the scouring. It wouldn't be fun. For me, the movies cannot really be too long, but even now the end was too long. Everytime you think: it's ended now, but then it continues again.

Elfstone
Ok fine but then put it in the EE dont just cut it

The Omega
The extended rotk will be 4 hours and 50 minutes long.
It will feature

The death of Saruman
Houses of Healing
The romance between Faramir and Eown (which is only hinted at, at the very end).

The mouth of Sauron
Confrontation between the Witch-king and Gandalf
And Merry pledging loyalty to Theoden
And Eomer grieving at Theodens death

I'm sorry, but anyone moaning at rotk just doesn't know how to have one hell of a great time in a cinema. We're talking movie-making history! big grin

Ushgarak
This argument has been had many times on the board before so I waill not go through the motions again but I will state my basic position- I hated the Scouring in the Book, and it would have been appalling on film as it completely breaks the flow of the narrative. Removing it was very wise, includoing it would have made for a much worse film.

Incidentally, some of the Scouring was seen in the Mirror of Galadriel in the first film.

Aurora
Alas I have searched far and wideconfused for the article and came up empty handedsad . I admit defete, but if by chance I come across it I will post it wink

Clockwork
I agree with you that the Scouring of the Shire had to be cut for the sake of not breaking down the film. Like a fellow of me said after the film (who didn't read the books) : From a film view, you just cannot include every (brilliant) thing from the books, you just cannot. These films are made for everyone, not just for the diehardfans, and it still are FILMS, not books, you have to follow some rules to make a good film, who are different for making a good book !!!

like in the book the story of Frodo and Sam is totally seperated from the adventures of the rest of the fellowship. Why, because that's is not bad in a book. Imagine if 'The Two Towers' was kinda cut in two with also the two storylines completely seperated? Would that be a good film? (After seeing FotR, I was wondering how PJ was going to glue part 1&2 of TT together )

But saying that including that scene would made it a much worse film is just outrageous !! (you probably formulated it bad, I hope so ... sad )
It would made the film much worse, not a much worse film mad

Cowboyography
PJ said no more Tolkien for him, his next project......... WOOHOO get this a new KING KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elfstone
i dont get how it would make it bad?, and like i said put it on the EE then dont just cut it for good

Clockwork
Indeed his new project is King Kong, but PJ didn't say 'no more Tolkien for me', he might have said, 'no more Tolkien for me right now' Because he would love to film The Hobbit (if you search you find it somewhere), but NewLines doesn't have the rights of it (yet). If PJ is offered to do The Hobbit, I think he would immediatly do it

(Gimli-wise : )
Cheers m-ate

Clockwork

Member.
4hrs, jebus.

lkotbr33
go jebus, scouring adds drama to the movie and thats why it would be so good in it because everyone would think its over! who cares if its long it still kicks major ass!!!

Morgoths_Wrath
i've never read the book, so i was just wondering why the scouring was left out of the movie, and was it important to the plot?

lkotbr33
hey morgoths wrath check above posts from page 1 and 2

The Omega
New Line Cinema doesn't own the movie-rights to "The Hobbit." But on the extended TT DVD Jackson clearly said, that if anyone were to offer him a chance to make the Hobbit, he'd go for it. yes

nephalim27
The scouring was an unnecessary part of the book and would have made the endings impossible. Would you rather have the scouring or all the other endings which, IMO, were necessary? It just didn't work on film, and I understand and respect that.

Some cuts that sucked, however, mostly from the list just given (haven't seen RotK yet):

The death of Saruman
The choices of Master Samwise -

Both of these should have been in the TT movie instead of the RotK, especially Saruman, if his death was an ending for TT instead of a beginning for RotK to paraphraze PJ. If that's the case, why wasn't it in the TT?! For all the endings to RotK, or so I hear, the TT ended rather abrubtly and nowhere near accurate to the book. Of all the decisions PJ made this one I understand little.

Houses of Healing/The romance between Faramir and Eowyn (which is only hinted at, at the very end) - this is almost necessary, because they are both major characters that need closure. While an in-depth thing isn't necessary, they should have at least done at least a 5 minute segment. It also gives Aragorn much needed screen time and character and plot development.

The mouth of Sauron -

Would have been nice, don't see why he was cut, but although I don't understand the reasons not the biggest deal.

Confrontation between the Witch-king and Gandalf -

What the hell were they thinking?!?! It would have taken a whole minute and a half.

And Merry pledging loyalty to Theoden -

Once again, what the hell were they thinking?! A critical moment, and the love of Merry and Theoden is great.

And Eomer grieving at Theodens death -

Why would they cut that? That just makes no sense to me.

At least they'll be on the EE DVD, but that can't be a constant excuse. Most of the things mentioned here are not big at all (except for the house of healing/Faramir and Eowyn, and that's OK to be saved for the EE DVD.)

Ariadne
I've always been so much more attached to the extended DVDs than the regular ones because while the theatrical releases are really good, the extended ones are the best. They just have all the nice little details that aren't really necessary but just add a special something. I'm already excited about the extended RotK. It's gonna be a long wait.

lkotbr33
yeah it is its gonna be gr8 though ... i hope :-)

Ariadne
Long, but great. And a long way away...but when it comes out my friends and I are going to have a really long extended edition LotR movie marathon.

One thing that I was really happy about was that Arwen wasn't nearly as built up as I thought it would be. Elrond was actually the more annoying one. That one scene where she came back to Rivendell was pretty bad I think (although the shot where Arwen is riding over the bridge is really pretty). It's all good though.

billyboyd4ever
i have no time to read all your posts, but as for the complaint about the scouring of the shire, it was great in the books and i loved it, but for any nontolkien reader, it would be boring and anticlimactic...and dont complain about much else because it will most likely be in the EE...the only thing that bugged me was saruman...

Verity
The scouring would have been irrelevant and impossible to put in there! Look for stuff in the EE.....Word is there will be 12 different endings....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.