The Ending

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sentinelrv
Did anyone think that the ending after the big battles had taken place was way too long? It seemed like the movie was about to end five different times. They should have cut some of the ending parts out. Not completely, put them back in the extended edition. The first time I saw it I was crying through the whole ending because I knew it was over, and I'd never see the characters again. But I took my brother and saw it a second time, and then I thought the ending was drug out. About the fouth time I thought it was going to end(the part with the ship) it then showed Sam. The guy next to me was really liking the movie but then it came to that exact part and he was like what the f***. People were getting up, and then had to sit back down. Don't get me wrong though, I liked it. I thought it was the best movie I ever saw. What do you think.

Camellia
I got the opposite impression. It seemed a little rushed to me.

Don't get me wrong - it was fantastic, but I felt that there wasn't enough detail...roll of EEbig grinbig grinbig grin

sentinelrv
Maybe they should have made the transition into different scenes better. The screen kept going black or white and the music sounded like it was ending, and then all of a sudden it would pop back up for something else. A lot of people were annoyed in my theater and were sighing and saying things like whens it going to end? The people in my theater didn't not like the film. They were clapping and stuff to a whole bunch of different parts. It was just the end.

Camellia
I thought that worked quite well, although, yes, I was beginning to wonder whether the film was going to end or not!!

Clockwork
For my part, I was hoping it wouldn't end at those points, thinking stuff like "don't end here, this wouldn't be a good end" .. especially after Mount Doom, for me it was 3-4 times : yeah, it doesn't end roll eyes (sarcastic)

But some guy next to me , and his friends were indeed saying things like "When does it end?" (I wondered several times, why in hell did they go to the (premiere) midnight showing, like they were not that interested)

arwen22
Well i like the ending, but maybe is gonna be good end, if arwen and aragon get married then they all got together or seen its other again..lol...i dont know..but its really good..and i'm sad coz its all over

Hypernova
Yes, I agree completely!!

I cannot wait for the EE!!

Verity
I think it was perfect! Some ppl were leaving as soon as the ring got destroyed, and got annoyed at the Sam point! But I loved it! Yu can even feel PJ did the turning to blk thing to give ppl the option on whether to stay or leave!....At least that's what it seemed like to me!

Punker69
Just go in with your watch set for 3 and a half hours then the watch will go off when it ends or when its about to end.So you wont be anxious.

Verity
I didn't need to do that...I felt it was short! stick out tongue

shadow link
well from all the reviews ive read the "multiple endings" the film either suffers from them or it needed them seeing as it was ending 9 hours + of film. also it seems like a good compromise coz people who dont know the books think it might be too long and the people who know the books and know that the ring being destroyed is now were near the end might think its too short and wanted more detail (but of course i have to wait till 26th dec till i get to see it)

Camellia
Oh, please don't think I didn't like it.

I thought that the ending was beautifuly done - I just think that because I have read the book, my expectations were higher than they were when I went to see FotR (before I had read it)...

Member.
the ending in the book was awesome. PJ had to pay homage to Tolkien's book.

Cowboyography
i have seen the movie three times now, my third viewing I did leave right after the Ring was destroyed. I loved the ending dont get me wrong, I just didnt feel like seeing the tear jerking last 25 minutes.

Member.
lol, showing emotion is a good thing. should've stayed for the tears.

Discos
Yep a totally agree, the whole "fade to black" thing happened too much

enya
it was a pleasant surprise for me as i was like no its ending and then it didnt. it probably was a little rushed but it had to be i mean people are complaining about things being missed out im surprised he got that much in

DARKVIRUS
I agree with camellia I thought it was rushed. I mean you have to think about it from a trilogy point of view. This was not just the ending to one film it was the end to all three. If you really think about it there should have been even more to the ending but, I can wait till the extended edition. smile

Camellia
Well put enya! (Although I didn't mind the whole fading-to-black-thing)

Camellia
Oh, and DARKVIRUS? I LOVE your signature!!!

enya
no i didnt mind it either! there will probably be more of an ending in the extended version anyway so thats something to look forward to

Discos
there was such a big queue to actually get into the seating area of the cinema that I ended up sitting at the very very front (it was good cause we didnt have to look over peoples afros)

Anyways when some points came on I looked and actually saw some people crying at the end - not me though I just had a huge smile of joy

Camellia
Yup, I'm looking forward to the release of that already!big grin

enya
isnt it sad that after that its over nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that goes without sayin really doesnt it LOL

Member.
yea, 9 months...

DARKVIRUS
Thanx camellia and I can honestly say I mean every single word of it.

Member.
every trilogy is like that. i feel sh*tty at the end of the last movie. i'd hate it when SW3 ends.

Camellia
I know - I've never cried so much at a film before!!

I was crying for the last 30 minutes or so and then whenever I thought about it that evening, I felt miserable! I was pretty darn melancholy and no body understood why!!!

Member.
i understand. although i don't cry, i feel like crap and don't really do much after that. just sit and ponder.

Camellia
I rarely cry actually - but seeing as LotR has literally become a huge part of my life (ask my parents) I think it just overwhelmed me...

Yes, I am most definitely obsessive...

Member.
yea, that happens to me too.

enya
im still mopeing over it

DARKVIRUS
Im a guy and I was in that theatre and I was not the only guy who broke into emotion. I mean it was'nt all out crying and sobbing but, the emotion overwhelmed me and tears did run down. Im not gonna deny the emotions I felt I mean these movies have become a large part of any fans life and the fact that this was the end really made everything hit harder.

Member.
i can never cry.

DARKVIRUS
heh, well I guess that's just you my friend. I was in the trilogy showing and Im telling you the whole place was overwhelmed. At the end all you could see was ppl sobbing, wiping tears and talking about how they could not believe it was over.

I dont cry easily but this time it was just overwhleming...as much as I said to myself "this is'nt gonna bring a tear"...there I was wiping some away...hehehe.

Ushgarak
It must be said... dramatically speaking the ending probably went on a tad too long for the average viewer.

Member.
not too many people are average viewers when watching LOTR.

Izz
The end just wasn't right. Some people think it rushed, some people think it too long. The latter includes me. Not that it was too long in time (that can never be long enough), but it was put together in a way that didn't fit too well I think.

enya
it can be improved but doesnt everyfing

nothin iz perfect- not even LOTRs

sentinelrv
Maybe in the extended edition they can get rid of some of the fade to black areas. I have to confess, right after they destroyed the ring and it faded to black, I said what the F***, thats no good ending. But then it came back up with more and I got happy again. I was kind of speaking on behalf of the average viewers. They will probably think it is too long. They will tell their friends that it was good but the ending drug out, and then it might hurt the film in some way. But I wouldn't care, I'd go see it anyway. I'm going to see it a third time tonight. I don't even cry at the end anymore, because I already know what happens. I'm going to look at everybody else though.

Exa
To me, the real end seemed somewhat rushed, yet I liked it - but it was quite confusing cuz there were five or six times when everybody thought "now it's over". Was cut too hard. In the book this is far more fluent so thats no problem, but PJ always jumped from one pseudo-ending to another. And many important things were missing... no new white tree, no healing for Eowyn, Faramir and Merry and so on - not to speak of the scouring of the shire.

namarie
te best ending thumb up

billyboyd4ever
ok i havent read all your posts so i mite be being redundant, but this is my opinion:
The ending was very very very good, and totally necessary. i t showed yet antoher theme (that soemtimes you cant go back to the way things were) and it shows a sort of realization...ooo i dont kno how to put it....al i kno is that it was perfect and it left the audience with a feeling they cant explain, but its good.....

Ariadne
I really liked the ending, but afterwards I realized that after Mt. Doom there was almost no talking. A little at the Grey Havens, but that was about it. And while I missed the Scouring of the Shire, I can see how it wouldn't have really worked well. I liked that it ended the same as the book though, with Sam coming back to the Shire. That made me quite happy.

Verity
I thought the pauses in between were good...PJ gave ppl the option to leave and be merry with what they wanted!

LilySatine
The ending was brilliant. Couldn't have made it better myself smile

Though I was really looking forward to seeing Faramir and Eowyn fall in love, but I guess PJ only had time for the necessary material, or the movie would have been close to 4 hours long. stick out tongue

soft0violin
The ending was...Really sad

BingaBonga
yes it was. It was a wonderful movie, it's just, it's over, and it's depressing. I think all you lotr fanatics know what i mean... sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.