Which country would you say produces the Best foreign Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SandyMartinez17
So which country would you say produces the best foreign flicks? France, Italy or Brazil. And which are asome of your favorites. I love brazilian movies personally i.e. city of god and central station. Also does Israel release any good movies?

G.P
I would say France embarrasment Even if we do a lot of tiny useless movies, we have a good film industry.
Amelie, Winged Migration,...

Go France !!! http://atlasgeo.span.ch/flags/icones/France1.gif
j/k stick out tongue

Neo_Version 7
This is one of the worst questions ever. Countries don't make movies! Directors, actors, and many others make a good movies. Not the freakin citizens. Dont classify movies in terms of countries.

Kes
Well without the ppls money and goverment aproval no movie is made in Portugal. No cash! lol wink
Saw 2 really good portuguese movies: "Os Imortais" (The imortals) and "Preto e branco" (Black and White) wondering how many others there are.
France has some cool movies like Amelie, Brazil has awesome movies cos they are very truthful (I have to see City of God!)

G.P
Well technically, you can. French movies are (mostly) quite different from american movies. It is the same with British, Italian, Brazilian, Indian, Japanese movies. Every country has its own culture and its movies are not like its neighbours' (cos you don't make a movie the same way in all countries) and every director is influenced by its culture (for example, the way Jean-Pierre Jeunet has made "Alien 4" is quite different for Ridley Scott's way, even though Jeunet had to work in the American industry) . Even though technics is the same and the fact that because of globalization films tend to be similar, you can of course talk in terms of countries.

G.P
Spain has also produced some good movies.

Kes
Not to mention that most movies dont have the cash America has to make movies!

johnny_rotten
Considering most movies are made in the USA, I have to say that "britain" make the best "foreign" movies. But France have made some real corkers to be honest

total metalhead
yeah i think Britain make some cool movies. i dont really cast them as foreign films cos apart from the accents there pretty much the same as over here. Lock Stock and Snatch were good, and so was The Full Monty. China make good films aswell. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon being the most obvious one.

Ushgarak
Technically speaking no-one makes foreign movies, because what is foreign to you is natural to them. I know it is tiresomely pedantic to put it like that, but to put it another way... on a multi-national board (which is British in origin), the question should be which non-US country makes the best movies, not who makes the best foreign ones.

Or we could go by the Hollywood definition of Foreign, which basically means non-English speaking.

ragesRemorse
i would say america makes the best movies which are foreign to every other country

SandyMartinez17
Have you seen the compilation of short/foreign films called watching you. They have one movie from australia and israel in there. I must confess I have never seen a movie from either of those countries (i know that is terrible to admit) but I don't know of any other movies from either of those countries. Does anyone have any recommendations?

alic88
INDIA HAHA.

SilverFighter
I gotta go with China, Japan, Mexico, and Brazil have the best foreign films right now.

G.P
Australia : Peter Weir's (and Philip Noyce's) films (before they work for Hollywood, that goes without saying)

BackFire
Being a horror fan, I'd have to say Italy, I've seen some great Italian horror films - Cannibal Holocaust and Susperia just to name a few.

Outside of horror films, I'll say France, they've made some damn fine movies as well, like Irreversible and Amelie. England is also worth mentioning for 28 days later, dog soldiers, and Trainspotting.

G.P
I think British films are also very good... (I'm a Monty Python fan, but also Trainspotting,...)

yerssot

movie_freak
UK,China & Japan

Trinity_Matrix
My favorite would have to be Japanese movies, though I also like a lot of movies from Britain and France.

Kes
Nit pick stick out tongue

yerssot
not really, kes
for me, hollywood is making foreign movies, for an american it's not

Kes
Yes I know. But its obvious by foreign movies ppl mean non-US.
And so far lots of ppl said French when they are not so thats a foreign movie wink

botankus
Afghanistan makes some killer sci-fi movies. I even hear Iraq is going to film a straight-to-Iraqi-cable movie of Saddam, with a sequel and a prequel to follow.

Ushgarak
But a lot of people might not, Kes.

And 'non-US' is NOT the Hollywood definition of a foreign movie- that is non-English speaking ones.

So the question could, and should, have been better phrased and it is not a nitpick to remind people that this is a multi-national board and things should be said accordingly.

yerssot
shoot, missed you again messed

ah well, france makes some good ones, we can't deny that wink

G.P
"For France's a jolly good fellow..." Erm, sorry...

yerssot
not really, we are forced to say it wink
kidding smile

Iv3rSoNJuNiOr
i like karate movies from japan n china n hongkong etc.

King Burger
Germany during the silent era made the best movies in
the world. And many of these are still classics.

In recent decades, I say Italy, with the movie of Dario
Argento, and great films like "Seduction of Mimi" and
"Meditarraneneo".

Sorry for the out-dateness of my reply' movies, but I
haven't watched too many recent foreign movies.

MildPossession
most countries produce fantastic films, just got to explore.

I like films from all countries.

liam k
Britain e.g shaun of the dead, notting hill etc

PRO-PAIN
Italian fims are some of the best imo, being a huge fan of giallo films, also Asian fims and British films, but in all honesty I could care less where a film is made as long as it's good. smile

But in all honesty, I gotta say that Hollywood comes out with a lot of garbage, and that's coming from an American.

IceWithin
I'd have to say... either Germany or Spain
France has some great movies too... and obviously Britan too...

Anyone seen "Der Untergang" very powerful film, loved it.

snehin
my pick would have to be either french,japanese or spanish movies
oyher than these britain has a couple good movies i guess

snehin
though britains movies aren't as good as the others i mentioned

Otaku_Sith
The Netherlands,take Simon or de Tweeling for example.

Otaku_Sith
Or Japan
Shichinin no Samurai and stuff like that love the Samurai Movies,Yojimbo,Sanjuro or Ikiru.(which is not a Samurai movie)Love Akira Kurosawa

faradayslaw
Hong Kong and Japan

crazykim
i would totally say india
bollywood is just marvellous
and b.t.w i used to live in the netherlands and the movies they make now just totally suck.. {i go there every weekend}

Fanboy
Hard to answer this but I do know. China has the best martial arts japan has best horror.

pinsleepe
I MUST say Poland as I love most of our good old comedies. They're the best.

Also UK. Praise you, Monty Python!

asoylentorange
I agree that Germany produced many of the best (IMO) silent films. Today I might say Spain just because it produced Almodovar. It seems like a lot of good movies come out of China as well. I don't think you can really say that any one country makes the "best" "foreign" films

Leo.M
Japan

choicecutz
korean, and japanese films are by far the best in my opinion, they are visually stunning, and push the evelope farther than anyothers, korean movies such as, oldboy, tae guk gi (brotherhood of war) H, revenge is mine. Japanese films such as battle royale, shiri, even anime ninja scroll. i guess when i see a movie i need to be rattled. i like to see stuff that would disturb regular people. there movies are taking things to a whole new level. if i am going to spend 1,2,or 3 hours wacthing a movie, it has to be something that leaves a lasting impression on me. and these movies i listed above are just a few that do exactly that. I live in america, and the movies they release here are marginal, you watch them once maybe twice and thats it you forget about them. these movies from korean and japan go beyond any american movies, by taking you past the "boundaires" of peoples comfort zones.

Wild_7
China, Hong kong, Japan, Britain and America produce the best i think.

Next Venom_girl
Japan, China, and the U.K.

tpaquin
From a historical standpoint, Germany did metropolis, Calgari, Nosferatu...
...they, along with D.W. Griffith in teh U.S., are what ushered in the era of movies as more than science.

Nowadays, France makes the best. Man Bites Dog, Amelie, etc.

Italy for horror films, though.

Whurlysplat
Bollywood everythings a musical smile

lord krondor
4 people. 4 people have said Germany makes the best movies, and 3 of those were referencing the "silent era" movies. 3 words, Werner Herzog.

That's two words, moron!

Very true. That is only two words.

Eis
That's a hard question to answer...
I think Germany's made some awesome films... but I'm really into French comedies.
But then again Argentina has some great movies too and so does Chile. And South Korea's made some great horror flicks too.
It's a hard question to answer but I guess... France.

stilian24
The Italian Film industry must rank somewhere at the top as the most inventive and courageous film makers of the first half of the 20th century and a special mention of the fist post war films are a must I believe.

Darkman87
French and Japan are good at producing movies. When Hollywood could not find a script, they give their attention to the Far East.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by SandyMartinez17
So which country would you say produces the best foreign flicks? France, Italy or Brazil. And which are asome of your favorites. I love brazilian movies personally i.e. city of god and central station. Also does Israel release any good movies?

Hong Kong and any Spanish speaking country.

Cowsonthemarch
Japan

IvoryGeisha
China

sasahxiong
i would have to say Japan for their horror films... and Taiwan for their dramas.

Dogigi
Sweeden

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.