Ep. I Easter Eggs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Okay, this is a new thread about Easter Eggs in Episode I.
Easter Eggs are like cameos or jokes in a movie.

Here's #1.

ET makes an appearance in the Galactic Senate. He and two other aliens of his species sit in a senate box. They state their opinion about a new Supreme Chancellor.

Here's a pic of the three in the Senate Box.

Captain REX
2. In Watto's Junkyard, a space pod is scene in the background. It isn't the Ep. IV escape pod, but it's a different pod. Will this arouse any memory?

I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that.

The pod is Dave's space pod from 2001: A Space Odysee. In Ep. I it sits in the background, rotting away with Watto's other junk. It is made to look like it is old and dirty, and it's missing the little arms on the front. It is still clearly the pod.

Here's a pic of the prop in Leavenstead Studios.

Captain REX
3. Qui-Gon wears a cloak in the Mos Espa area. So, what's the deal?
The cloak he wears is the exact same one on the chair in the background in Obi-Wan's hut in Ep. IV. While R2 is playing Leia's message for Luke and Obi, you can see it on a chair in the background. Maybe Obi kept it in memory of his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.

Here it is. Look behind hologram Leia and you'll see it.

Captain REX
4. When Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Padme, and R2-D2 stroll through Mos Espa, there is a green X-34 Landspeeder, much like Luke's red one in A New Hope. Want to know why it looks so much like his?
Aside from it's the same maker and the same model, it is the same exact speeder. A simple repaint by the people working for GL and...
Presto! A green X-34 Landspeeder from SoroSuub sits in the background, surrounded by Mos Espa's tourists and civilians. It is a little hard to spot, but it's there.

Here's a pic of it between takes.

Captain REX
5. Standing at attention, ready to blast anything that will harm the Queen, are the Naboo guards. They don't have any lines, some do die, and the only major one is Captain Panaka or Captain Typho. Who plays them? Actors? Nope. Ordinary people? Guess Again. ILMers? Yes. The ILMers who help with the special effects in Star Wars Ep. I play the Naboo guards. If you know them by face, you'll definetly relize that they play those loyal guards that fight the battle droids.

Ushgarak
Strange, you haven't mentioned 1138 once...

Let's not be forgetting the Indy Jones reference in the pod race, the Blade Runner spinners at Coruscant, Rick McCullum's appearance...

Captain REX
6. On a Topps card, you'll find out more about the extras on Naboo. On card #79 of Series #2, there are Naboo extras on the back. Now who played these extras?

From Left to Right in the picture:
Bob Woods (Star Wars Galaxy Collector editor)
Ira Friedman (Topps Publisher)
Robri Eiba (Official Star Wars Magazine, German Edition)
Steve Sansweet (Lucasfilm)

Now would you expect that? If ILMers play Naboo guards, then important people must play the extras.

Here they are on the back of the card.

peluffo
And what about the Epson Print Cartridges Boxes in the shoot where JarJar is Sleeping and Ani and Padme where talking in the Nubian (Tatooine-Coruscant Trip - See on the top of the table where JarJar put his feets)

Captain REX
I'll get to those later. But, since I know only two 1138 eggs at the moment, here they are. It doesn't have to do with Ep. I, but they're there:

When you enter Star Tours, a Starspeeder 3000 sits in the que area. If you look at the license, it says 1138 on it. THX 1138 was George Lucas's first movie.

If you listen to the announcers and supervisors in Star Tours, one will say "Will the owner of a landspeeder with the license plate 1138...." and some other stuff.

Please leave off the remarks until finish with the search for Ep. I easter eggs. Then I'll let you yap about ones you've found. That way it would be a bit easier.

Captain REX
7. One of the Neimodians under the name Tey How was credited to the voice of "Tyger." When GL did an appearance on the Rosie O'Donnel Show, a girl called herself "Tyger." "Tyger" was none other than GL's eldest daughter! smile

Captain REX
8. Warwick Davis made an appearance as numerous, midget-sized characters during Episode I. All of his characters' names started with "W." Like in ROTJ, he played Wicket W. Warrick. W's! This is one example: In Watto's box, with Shakka the Twi'lek slave and Kelvyyn, another character was there as well. He was Weasel, played by Warwick Davis.

Here's the little weasel Weasel now! Enjoy.

Captain REX
9. There are actual everyday items in Episode I, scattered throughout the movie. Here's the growing list:

Actual Items used as props in TPM - can you find them?

A deepfat fryer, toaster, Hewlett-Packard Inkjet cartridges, dustbuster, inflatable life boat, leafblower, ladies razor, foot massager, tackle box, underground septic tank and a 1-man street cleaning machine. Of course, you know we will be adding to this list as we confirm more ...

A Special Thanks to TheForce.net Cool website. cool

Captain REX
10. The waterfalls of Theed are just salt! Those marvelous waterfalls cascading down the side of Theed Palace are just salt.
Still, it looks rad. Plus, it tastes good on spinach and baked potatos. This was revealed in the Cinefex magazine.

11. Some of the music in Episode I is masked by talking or it is too low to hear. Here's some music that was hidden and talked about:

The Sith Theme when Shmi's around.
The rearanging of the finale music in TPM with Palpatine's theme.
The Imperial March when Anakin's around.
The Sith Theme when Nute Gunray and Darth Sidious talk via hologram.

Ushgarak
Yayy! He mentioned 1138 at last!

However, I feel bound to point out that things like the waterfalls being salt are NOT Easter Eggs...

Captain REX
12. How did GL come up with Nute Gunray's name? He took two Republicans, Newt (Nute) Gingrich and Ronald Reagan (gun-ray ---> ray-gun), and mixed their names up. That says a lot about Lucas' political opinions.

13. The Republic Cruiser was inspired by the first concept art by Ralph McQuarrie for the Millennium Falcon. Lucas just added a few more things to the front and back, and presto! the Republic Cruiser. Lucas likes to keep his concept art.

14. Skittles and Toilet seats. How do those fit in with the movies? Well, the Skittles were painted black and put on the entrance of the melting pit that Darth Maul falls to his doom in. In the hallway where Qui-Gon starts cutting through the door, plastic toilet seats are hanging on the walls. Interesting.

yerssot
hmmm... sounds familiar... where did you get this?

Ushgarak
This is rapisdy becoming a 'point out interesting things about TPM' thread. Which is fair enough, but I just thought we should all be aware of that.

Texas
Sith theme when Shimi is around eh? I keep telling you people, she's no virgin Mary! Anyone who has a naturally rotten kid like Anakin isn't a goody two shoes!!

Captain REX
I'm getting most of these on TheForce.net if you've been there. I'm just putting 'em here so after I post those, you guys can fool around and add some other cameos and Easter Eggs. Super.

15. If you squint really hard in the hangar where the Jedi seperate, you can see a poor battle droid washing an AAT. Another battle droid watches in wait of him to finish, supervising him.

16. The TV that the Neimoidians use were inspired by Flash Gordon. It was revealed in the Making of Star Wars film.

17. While the Neimoidians talk about the Jedi being aboard the ship, two battle droids are having a heated discussion in the background. Do battle droids have the programing to argue? I guess so.

18. Sofia Coppola, daughter of Francis Ford, plays one of Queen Amidala's handmaidens during the talk with a hologram of Palpy.

19. If you look carefully at the ground around Amidala while she's looking out the window, you can see a electric wire that leads to her crystals at the bottom of her dress.

That's one disturbing pic Texas. Change it PLEASE! Looks like a zombie.

Captain REX
20. If you look around the matte paintings of the palace, you might be able to find George Lucas' face on the palace walls or somewhere in the palace seens. It first started out as a joke by one of the matte painters. Then GL caught the guy and let him leave it there to entertain the fans and viewers.

21. Nathan Hamill, the "Son of Skywalker" has a short part in Episode I as a civilian. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan emerge in the sub and Qui stands up, you can see Nathan somewhere in the backround being taken to a prison camp by battle droids.

Here's Nathan in costume in TPM.

Captain REX
22 & 23. In the steps scene in the picture below, there are two things hidden. 22 is that one droid has a missing shadow. 23 is that on the back of one battle droid, his designation is clear the Dolby Digital logo.

24. When Obi-Wan pushes some battle droids away with the Force, they shriek a loud "D'oh!" Maybe it's because Homer Simpson programed them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.