box office records

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

turin
well as the days go by i am sure that ROTK will be smashing all kinds of records and why not have a thread for it. heres the first record its shattered: #1 first day sales for a film opening on a wednesday, $34.1 million, previous record - star wars episode 1 at $28.5 mil. thats US box office, awesome!!! watch out titanic!

fini
one thing to say ( a trini phrase when something is GREAT), come on bloom4ever join me

WWWWWWWOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hania
Amazing. It made $8 million just from the midnight screenings, that sounds a bit low though...

shadow link
yeah but isnt that like a record 8 million - highest for a midnight screening

shadow link
i dont think anyone has made higher than that

manny321
Matrix2 only made 5 milllion on midnight screnning. My friend at boxofficeguru says, if rotk makes more then 18 million dollars on thrusday, it will be a super gigantic blockbuster. Happy Dance Happy Dance

JohnMatrix
The length of ROTK will be the factor that will not let it beat Titanic.

manny321
I think return of the king can bat spidey gross of 405 mil. Why the opening numbers are so high!!! smokin'

Member.
just be thankful that PJ didn't do it for the money.

DARKVIRUS
Yeah he definately did not and it shows in his work. The movies have already made cinema history and have raised the bar for movies to come but, it would be nice to see rotk take that last step and beat out titanic.

Member.
lol, probably. though usually fantasy movies don't go that high.

DARKVIRUS
Yeah true but, there is always hope...hehehe.

Member.
only a fool's hope.

enya
lets buy ROTK a chance of smashing box office records by going to see it loads of times yeah

DARKVIRUS
Im going on my fourth tonight. This fool is trying!...hehehe.

ElvenQueen
YAY! Go lord of the rings! Awesome...its worth every penny.

enya
im goin to c it again but im runnin out of people to c it with i might have to go on my own

ElvenQueen
4 times? Ive only seen it twice...and people think im insane.

Discos
I have wrnt to see it twice now, once with a friend, the second time with many friends, looks lke I will go see the thrid showing on my own. I went to see TT 5 times and wen to see it myself twice

enya
ignore them c it millions of times, well if ur loaded

The One Part 2
ROTK will gross $385 million US domestic. Bank on it.

DARKVIRUS
Yep once on trilogy tuesday, wednesday, thursday and now once again tonight. Every single showing for the last three days that ranges from 6pm till 10 pm has been sold out everyday....I have never seen anything like this.

The mall i go to is the biggest mall in the tri-state area so the showtimes go as follow's: 6:00, 6:40, 7:00, 7:40, etc. I cant wait to hear the box office total on mon.

Cowboyography
ive seen it twice and plan on hitting atleast saturday and sunday!!!!!! GO ROTK TITANIC has nothing on YOU WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Punker69
Does anybody think it will beat Spider-man in a 3 day grose?

turin
3 day gross, no just beacuse spiderman was a weekend. total, i think ROTK has a very good shot at it. i hope that it beats Titanic but Titanic was huge so i am just expecting to take down Spiderman and Phantom Menace then i'll think about Titanic. it will break 400 mil though.

fini
ok final figures
ROTK PULLED IN US$125,071,000 since it opened ( dec 17-21)

it made bout 78 million for the weekend..........argh it couldn't beat spidey.......ah well ........it is winter in the states so not as many people will be going out and waiting long hours in line ( I THINK) and its Pg-13 so not as MANY people ( ie children) to go see.

anyway...........ROTK IS GONNA STEAMRoll them

fini
okok better than that................from BOxofficemojo i got this
>The Return of the King raked in an estimated $246.1 million on over 14,000 screens worldwide from Wednesday to Sunday, setting a new record for a five-day worldwide opening

Go ROTK........dont worry trinidad & tobago will be adding to this from christmas ( even if its less than US$2 for a cinema ticket here)

Ariadne
I'll definitely be contributing to the gross, since I've already seen it once and have figured out who can take me for about 5 more times. Go RotK!!

shadow link
yeah but it has a hard time beating titanic, people some guy here in australia saw it 174 times

shadow link
well since the forums originally for posting box office records its broken heres the next few

-Return of the King smashed opening day records in 13 countries including the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and Scandinavia, New Line noted. The U.K. accounted for $5.2 million of that sum, Germany contributed $5 million and France $3 million. The Two Towers posted $15.58 million from 14 territories in its overseas debut, and Fellowship $11.3 million.

-biggest december opening, 73m, previous record 62m held by none other than the two towers

-highest 5 day opening internationally (amount in first 5 days of release) $246.1, previous record holder matrix revolutions (lol) with $202.8

Bloom4ever
174 times? wow, obsession.
well, seeing as this is the only thread without spoilers i can post here since THE MOVIE HASNT COME DOWN HERE AS YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Anyway, back to the topic, it shouldve been expected, its ROTK (which, did i tell u, i havnt seen yet?)
its gotta smash all those other movies cuz rotk rox *ahem* even tho i havnt seen it yet.
there's a huge story about it in Newsweek 2 b this trilogy neva 2 b forgotten, n there wuz this lotr wknd on tv where they kept replaying the 1st 2 movies n showin behind the scenes stuff from rotk.
neways, sry bout the off-topic post but all the otha threads r dangerous 4 ppl like me rite now.
*must get off this site now*

Exa

BingaBonga
I've seen it once so far, but I'm planning to go see it it least two or three more times...

fini
hey bloom4ever its T-3 days for ROTK...............where you gonna see it??............i wanna go cinemas 8 if they have an earlier showing than the big 8

shadow link
well while there still box office records being broken i thought id keep on posting them instead of starting a new thread- here we go

- new line cinema's widest release - 3703 theaters obviously record previosly held by 2 towers with 3622 ( this isnt a new record but one that wasnt put on before)

- biggest christmas day gross - 13.9million record previously held by TT

- biggest new years day gross 11.9 record previously held by TT

shadow link
notable box office achievments

- 2nd widest release ever - behind X-2

-3rd biggest week ever

-3rd biggest 5 day gross ever

-3rd biggest 4 day gross ever

-passed matrix revolutions (which has been out for a long time) in like 6 days

-23rd on domestic all time chart in 16 days

-31st on all time worldwide chart in 16 days

shadow link
-highest weekend opening in italy 12.2 million (previous record holder TT)

-highest weekend opening in russia 4.3 million more than double TT (the previous record holder

enya
im seeing it again on saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DARKVIRUS
It's marching towards 900 million (worldwide) in a little under two months. It looks like it might beat titanic, but hey I will just be glad if it makes the billion mark. Happy Dance

Bloom4ever
how many times hav you seen it fini?

muse5
yay! now i finally have an excuse to go 500 times, not that rotk kicking ass isn't good enough, this is good!! I've seen rotk 4 times already, and can count on going at least 3 more!!!

manny321
ROTK BOXOFFICE IS:
WORLDWIDE(WHOLEWORLD) $1,100,450,252 2nd highest ever
International(non US-CANADA) $725,245,702 2nd highest ever\
Domestic(US_CANADA) $375,204,550 6th highest
It is still making money so these will be higher especially international.

mors823
All Time Box Office (U.S.) Last updated Apr 7, 2004

Rank Title Dist. Cumulative
Gross Release
Date
1 Titanic PARAMOUNT $600,788,188 12/19/97
2 Star Wars FOX $460,998,007 5/25/77
3 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial UNIVERSAL $434,949,459 6/11/82
4 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace FOX $431,088,295 5/19/99
5 Spider-Man SONY $403,706,375 5/3/02
6 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NEW LINE $375,204,550 12/17/03
7 Jurassic Park UNIVERSAL $357,067,947 6/11/93
8 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NEW LINE $341,748,130 12/18/02
9 Finding Nemo DISNEY/PIXAR $339,714,367 5/30/03
10 The Passion of The Christ NEW LINE $333,774,000 2/25/04

Only a little bit for until #5. Keep paying to see this movie. It must become #1!!!

tassie
grrr....*must beat Star Wars and Spiderman* mad

mors823
I will take anoth 10 million ppl @$10 a ticket to beat Spiderman. C'mon people, keep on watching it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.