Is Obi-Wan already a Master in AOTC?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
I was always unsure whether Obi-Wan was ever a literal Master at all. After all, he was pretty young when the Order was wiped out and they may never have had an opportunity to make him one.

Many people have been of the opinion that he would be a Padawan in ep. I, a Knight in two and a Master in three.

But in the Forbidden trailer, Amidala clearly calls him 'Master Obi-Wan'. Open to interpretation, but that DOES suggest he has already made it. That WOULD be young.

Then again, the term 'Master' has never been defined. It may actually just mean someone who has a Padawan, for all we know.

peluffo
Maybe the fact that he has a Padawan makes him a Master.

Ushgarak
Agreeing with my last comment, I take it.

bigsef2
The starwars.com website states that a padawan can be trained by a knight or a master, so clearly those are two different distinctions and simply having a padawan learner doesnt make a jedi a master. the 'rank' would appear to be conferred on knights who had either reached a certain point in jedi studies or proven themselves somehow, possibly in battle. If I'm not mistaken, Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books are considered reliable, if not canon, because they were authorized by GL. In those books, Luke viewed himself as a master, although there were no other Jedi to confer the rank upon him. One of the books went into great detail on the matter.

Ushgarak
They wewre all 'authorised' by GL; even the Boba Fett ones that are now so much crud. Official status means bog all; only canon can be relied upon.

Even the website has been known to be wrong; however, I do agree with you that the distinction of the ranks, and the, having nothing to dio with Padawan status, is probably true.

So, what's the deal with Obi-Wan then? Is Amidala wrong or is he a Master already?

bigsef2
I would hope he is a REAL master. Unless he corrects her right after she says it, it would just be something to confuse everybody. Although i do agree that he seems awfully young. How old is he anyways, 30?

Ushgarak
Believe it or not he is actually mid-30s.

DJ Velocity
Apparently Ki Adi Mundi hasn't taken on a Padawan learner, yet he is on the Jedi Council. I think Obi-Wan wil be a master in AOTC, a lot has changed since TPM.

Ratcat
'Master Jedi' seems to be a generic term for Jedi I thnk.

bigsef2
In the databank on the starwars.com website, it refers to obiwan kenobi as a legendary jedi KNIGHT. So its looking like the Jedi were all destroyed before Obiwan could reach master status. It also says that he was 25 at the battle of naboo, which would make him 35 in AOTC.

yerssot
I've got (think from the official site) that you have to train a padawan and after the padawan succeeds you are upgraded to master

dark lord
i thought that u became a master after your padawan became a jedi knight

yerssot
so how do you become jedi knight?

yerssot
ok, watched TPM yesterday night...

in the yellow text there is said that Valorum dispatched 2 Jedi Knights.

The TF and TC-14 talks about Jedi Knights; also about Jedi...

and I had some more stuff but I forgot already...

but remember: QGJ is a master: Yoda himself talkes about:
"Master QG, more to say have you?"

Ushgarak
Well, we know 'Jedi Knight' is a generic term of course;

'Master Jedi'' may be a general term of greeting for a Jedi Knight, but the way Amidala actually calls him 'Master Obi-Wan' in the same way Yoda addressed Qui-Gon is rather telling, I feel.

yerssot
Jedi Knight for the one that doesn't know much about the Jedis (eg people)
and some speak of masters when they see someone with a padawan?

heck, QGJ is a master (otherwhise Yoda would lie) but when he is with OB1 he's a knight...

Ushgarak
I don;t think his status changed. A master is a master is a master. And a politician and diplomat. like Amidala would know the correct form of address for people.

yerssot
I mean it's like in grammar (it's in French and Dutch not sure how it is in English)

if there is a girl and a guy you talk about they in male form...
wait, a bit French now;

Il and elle,
but
John and Shirley, ils travaillent

Ushgarak
Hmm. I doubt we have to over-complicate things.

yerssot
from where I'm living this is not over-complicated, and remember that GL uses things from a lot of languages...

Ushgarak
Yeah., but this is nothing to do with different languages. He calls them 'Jedi Knights' in the opening scroll because it would be silly to say 'Has secretly dispactched one Jedi Knight and one Jedi Master'. It's like him saying 'has secretly dispatched two soldiers'

But Qui-Gon IS a Master, and when addressing him personally you would always call him that.

But you can say he is also a Jedi Knight, because that's just a generic term for what he is.

yerssot
agreed with the last one, but two jedis make two jedi knights

Ushgarak
Indeed, because that's a generic term for what they are.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.