The hearts of men are easily corrupted...but hobbits?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath
I was just wondering why Smeagoul fell instantly in love with the One Ring, when other hobbits seem less influenced by its evil.

Fire
I always thought smeagol was a lot like a hobbit, but not really a hobbit

ash007
thats because i think hobbits are not influnced by evil ways as men are

Hegemon875
You're right fire Gollum is not nor has ever been a Hobbit, his kind is very closely related to them though.
Good question morgoth I have no idea but I'm sure we'll get some pretty interesting theories.

SKAliv
Like Gandalf says, Gollum was MEANT to have the Ring. It was all part of the plan. He plays a key part in the destruction of Evil, ironically. I mean, everything he did contributed to the downfall of Sauron--even before he met up with Frodo and Sam.

No, Smeagol was not a Hobbit, but his race was close enough for him to be compared to Frodo. The main reason the halfling trusts Gollum is because Gollum is a mirror image of what Frodo would become if he failed, and kept the Ring to himself.

Cowboyography
we saw that the will of hobbits is not impecable at the end when Frodo claims the ring.

Verity
Smeagol wasn't a hobbit like those of the Shire. He was closely related. Besides, I think Smeagol always had the capability of being corrupted easier than the rest, before the ring.

nephalim27
Smeagol WAS a hobbit! He was a Stoor, which is the breed of Hobbit most represented in modern hobbits. He has some differences that happened over the age, of course, but he was pretty much a hobbit.

Ushgarak
This is simple. Smeagol was not a very nice person. No-one else ever murdered for the ring within minutes of seeing it. It affected him very quickly. He just had a very corruptible nature.

sauron
maybe it didnt corrupt him, because he came from a very broken home he was the outcast of the family, it was his birthday so maybe when he never got anything he wanted the ring, and the ring knowing he wanted it toyed with his mind driving him to kill

ElvenQueen
He was just a messed up little dude.

enya
he had a weak heart bless, and his cousin also was corrupted easily so it wasnt just smeagol

nephalim27
He did get something for his birthday, by Deagol for that matter, FYI.

Verity
A river hobbit perhaps...but not from Frodo's home! Still, as Ushgarak said, I believe he already had evil nature in him!

Melkor_TheEnemy
Smeagols people were more simple then your modern day Hobbits so maybe it was just a weaker, duller, simpler mind plus events in his own life.

Plus what kind of story would we have if he hadn't fallen in love with the ring straight away?

Julie
Frodo failed in regard to the ring in the end as well....his heart took long ...but it was corrupted

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.