History vs Hollywood

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The One Part 2
I am not a fan of the Tolkien books, though I have read three of them. Star Wars is still my favorite franchise, though it has its faults. Peter Jackson did a magnificent job on this trilogy, nonetheless. He took the one classic that could not possibly be made into a movie and triumphed at it. There were definitely parts that should have been added such as Sarumon taking over the Shire and the Aragon/Arwen wedding, but the trilogy should go down in history as an instant classic like Gone With the Wind or Spartacus. This from a non-fan.

Ushgarak
No... the Scouring of the Shire would have been awful.

ElvenQueen
eh whatever

SilverFighter
The title has me confused can you elaborate more?

The One Part 2
The history is the novels. The movies are hollywood. Why would the scouring of the Shire have been horrible? It happened in the book, right?

SilverFighter
I kinda see what you are trying to say but ROTK is already 3hrs long adding more could have been too expecific.

Exa
I think adding more would be better - just look at the SEEs for FoTR and TT, way better than the cinema edition and by far cooler atmosphere.

The One Part 2
I agree with you SilverFighter, it would have made the movie much too long. I just wish it had been filmed to appear on the DVD. Peter Jackson said he did have some footage of Sarumon's fate, but it didn't involve the Shire. A 4 or 4 1/2 hour movie would be much more enjoyable in your own living room. The trilogy wouldn't have made nearly the amount of money if the extended versions were the theatrical release.

SKAliv
The Scouring of the Shire would have made the ending even more complicated for the non-bookies. PJ was given a time limit, and it's much more efficient to just have the Shire stay the same. It also shows the nature of Hobbits--notice how they gave no recognition to Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin's heroic acts? That was in there for a reason. Hobbits like to stay secluded in the Shire, away from the "Big Folk."

The Scouring wouldn't have RUINED the movie, but it would have added waaaayyy too much information for the people who wouldn't understand it anyway.

Also, it is nice to see a SW fan who likes the LOTR movies!
--Liv

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.