28 days later sucks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Danieru_x
Id have to say 28 days later was a okay movie but to read ORIGINAL STORYLINE on the poster mad me angry. It should have read RESIDENT EVIL COPY. Maybe the title refers to the directors idea made 28 days after the release of RE that it would do better if it wasnt based on a game. RE is better in my opinion and the sequel will kick 28L's ass.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
it was a great movie in my opinion. it was actually a sucessful zombie movie. resident evil was awful.

Dogbert
no, you suck

samhain
Resident evil was okay, but it had a bit too much dance/techno music. It reminded me of mortal kombat.

samhain
28 days is a far more convincing movie and probably more realistic as well.

Ushgarak
BF's going to have fun with this one...

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol yea

yo dogbert were u referring to me?

BackFire
Actually I've been craving a thread like this, we need more confrontation in the horror forum, I'm glad to see someone creating a possible worth while debate.

Anywho, the fact that you said 28 days later is a resident evil ripoff shows me you probably haven't seen very many zombie films...had you, you would recognize the fact that resident evil in itself is a ripoff of every zombie movie ever made, and a bad ripoff at that. 28 Days Later at least had a unique presentation and dramatic feel that no other zombie movie has had in a long time.

zombieman
Not only that but even the original computer game of resident evil was a complete rip off, it was a rip off of a game made in the early 90s called Alone in the Dark (not the playstaion remake, the pc original).

Sticking to the topic tho 28 Days Later is a brilliant movie and im pretty sure that Danny Boyle didnt get his inspriation from Resident Evil!! I gaurentee that 28 Days Later would still have been excactly the same had Resident Evil not been released.

zombieman
Plus - I dont understand why you called this topic "28 Days Later Sucks" and then went on to contradict your self in the opening line by saying "28 Days Later was a ok movie" DUMBASS!

BackFire
Guys don't flame him.

zombieman
Sorry but its hard not to given the stupidity of his original post.

Dogbert
na laughing out loud i was talkin bout dan

Pablo G
28 rocked, and RE sucked ass.

Rebel Racer
i thought 28 days later was absoultley fabulous.

BackFire
His post wasn't stupid at all, he was merely sharing his thoughts and opinions, it may not agree with yours, but he's entitled too it, and he shouldn't be given shit because of it.

Danieru_x
here here BF

BackFire
Don't get me wrong though, I wholeheartedly disagree with you about 28 days later, as far as I'm concerned it put every other horror movie made in the past 10 years to shame.

zombieman
Its wasnt his opinion on the movie i was giving him shit about, it was the fact he contradicted himself in the opening line of the post and claimed 28 Days Later was a copy of Resident Evil when in fact Resident Evil was one of the most unoriginal moves ever, he also went on to say that Resident Evil was filmed before 28 Days Later which again is not true. Anyway, i dont want a big arguement over this so im gonna rest my case.

BackFire
An argument is fine, and I totally promote debate, just don't name call, pretty simple.

zombieman
For the record i wasn't name calling, i meant the content of his post was stupidity not him personally. If someone comes up with ludicrous claims about one of my favorite movies of the last 10 years ive every right to shoot them down in flames.

Ushgarak
Looks like you are having fun to me! This is kinda what I meant.

Dario Argento
I think you are wrong about that.
28 Days Later was really good, but there are horror films made in the last 10 years that are better.

ragesRemorse
hey man 28 days later was released in england while resident evil was in post production

samhain
which horror films do you think are better argento?

mechmoggy
I find it laughable that 28 days has been compared to RE.

My, what a benchmark to live up to. roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
There have been several good ones, but none up to par with 28 days later, the only zombie movie I see too be comparable with the greatness of Dawn of the Dead.

I'd also like to hear of some of these movies that are better, I can't really think of any truley great horror films that have been released in the past 10 years....the last really great one was Henry - portrait of a Serial Killer, which was released in 1989 I believe...

wicker_man
Totally agree with Backfire Dawn of the Dead is pure genius.

dvsou2
There all a rip from the one and only zombie movie of all time and that is Omega Man (1971) thats when they know how to make a movie

Dario Argento
DellaMorte DellaMore is way better. I also think Non Ho Sonno, Ichi the Killer, Audition, Braindead, Dark Water, John Carpenter's Vampires, From Dusk Till Dawn, Army of Darkness, Existenz, Spider, Sleepy Hollow, and Riget (the Kingdom) to name a few.

By the way 28 Days Later isn't half as good as Romero's Trilogy. And Fulci's Pupi Avati's, And Jean Rollin's are also way better and more original. 28 Days Later wasn't original in any way, it was just a tribute to the old ones most of all Romero's. How can you say 28 Days Later is comparable with the Dawn of the Dead. You ought to be ashamed on yourself!

Please tell me why you think 28 Days Later is one of the best zombi movies ever.

BackFire
I think 28 Days Later is far supperior then all those movies you listed....Dellamorte Dellamore is great...I totally forgot about that one... and that may be on par with 28 Days Later, but all the rest are simply good movies, they don't achieve anything great.

28 Days Later is comparable to dawn of the dead because it uses similar dramatic elements, it's the only zombie movie where we actually care about the characters, as we would in a drama, I thought that aspect of it alone made it much better and created power on a whole different level then in most horror movies.

I think 28 days is far better then any of the fulci movies, I mean I love some of his movies, but without his infamous gore, his movies would be nothing, the movies were edited absolutely horribly (as with most italian horror films) creating an almost choppy feel to them.

Now to answer your question, 28 Days later is unique in many ways, while it's premise is typical at best, it's presentation was completely different from anything else out there. The use of dramatic elements to make us truley care about the characters is amazing, and done beautifully. It's probably the only horror movie that's ever made me teary. Also the zombies pure ferociousness make them bar none the most frightening and intimidating zombies from any film ever (and please don't use the typical response of "they aren't real zombies backfire, they aren't even dead, blah blah blah", I'm well aware of this technicality, but I refer to them as zombies because they serve the same basic purpose as zombies, dead or not). Also the way the movie was shot, with that digital video camera gave the film a feel unlike anything else in recent memory, it made it feel eerily realistic, and even more believeable then the story already made it feel. Also the film was made by one of the most talented directors in the world. All these aspects are why I found the movie to be extraordinary, and comparable to the best zombie films of all time.

samhain
I was going to rant about argento's choice of movies that are better than 28 days, but I think BF did a good job vindicating the movie. Well done.

samhain
I thought dark water was shit though.

samhain
& existenz & john carpenters vampires. I am a carpenter fan myself but it was still shit.

Gotwa
The only good thing about Resident Evil was the action. 28 Days Later had an awesome storyline, and good action. Sorry, but.. 28 Days Later > Resident Evil

-edit- By storyline I mean imbedded into the movie. Well.. that'd be plot.. o.o

tabby999
i'm sorry but i dont consider Ichi the Killer or Existenz horror. Ichi is.....demented (like i could put in under a catatory) and Existenz is Sci Fi
the rest are pretty on the ball

SilverFighter
I watch this movie last night and to be honest the film was a disappoinment. I wanted to enjoy this movie but it just never click with me. I kinda see how the film was finance with all the product ads in it. From Pepsi to Mercedez this film was a total commercial horror movie. The love story was lame and the only characters I liked was the Father and the daughter. If there is a sequel show more zombies maybe that will help the movie look a bit better. Until then better luck next time and hopefuly something good will come out next time.

samhain
yes the product placement was annoying, the love story weak and not too many likeable characters, there also could have been more "zombies" but I don't think it was strictly a zombie movie. more of a "What if" movie. I myself had a hard time liking the film when I first saw it, but then I stopped thinking of it like a zombie film and I found it to be an intensely HUMAN film. If you get what I mean.

samhain
night of the living dead (1968) was released in 1968. Also, I don't think that the omega man counts as a zombie movie either.

Zilverz
28days later is an awesome movie.

BackFire .. ive read some of your other posts ... your a cool dood.. ive bought some of the movies you have recommended and havent been dissappointed..

I would just like to add a little more on to the originality of the cinematography that BF lightly touched on .. if you pay attention you will see some of these scenes are just Fantastic.

1) They are driving to the military outpost and you can see a field of flowers(if im not mistaken) that looks almost as a painting superimposed ontop of the footage shot

2) You will notice other science where they blur things up close and focus things afar and vice versa (not that that is original but it is there)

3) the quick red lense filter shot... they used for the blood drop

4) im not sure how they did the rain towards the end ... but the rain during the day just before dark looked amazing

Bar-en-Danwedh
28DL rocked!!!

everbody's forgotten how to make horror films (except peter jackson who's been busy with LOTR).

we need to sit people in a room and force them to watch Dario Agento films and the Shining, and the excorsist before letting hollywood make another "horror" film about an unwitty killer that goes around killing people i just don't care about.

BackFire
Zilverz, I'm glad I was able to recommend good titles for you, that's what I'm here for.

tabby999
and closing down topics, dont forget that

mechmoggy
...and winding up the matrix lot too. wink

Shroud
This might have already have been said, but I though 28 days was more of a Day of the Dead rip off than a Resident Evil rip off...

I didn't like 28 days, mainly for the reason that the plot seems to have chaged half way through, when they met the soldiers. And the fact that the "Zombies" didn't sit very well with me.

I did much prefer Resident Evil, but I think they should stop where they ar, and not make another film. From what I have read its going to be Resident Evil 3 (My favourite of the games) with MIla's character in it... it sounds like a badly written fan fiction.

Ill stick with George Romero's Diamond Dead as my next hit Zombie film!

samhain
I've never heard of Diamond dead. What is it?

swordmaster
I would have to agree with BackFire on...actually everything he has said so far. 28 days later is definitely not a rip off of Resident Evil. Probably the most convincing material is the background of the viruses used. In Resident Evil, if Im not mistaken, it was either the T or G virus. Which reanimates dead tissue or mutates living. But in 28 days later, basically the virus made you go crazy with hatred and all you want to do is kill anything that moves...not bring you back from the dead...or mutate you...or make you into a super nazi where you only kill people by drowning them and the only way to die is to get your goggles knocked off (i hate shockwaves)...it just makes you go crazy. So lets recap:

1. Resident Evil sucked and they should've stayed to games
2. 28 days later was an excellent movie and a pretty original storyline and infintely better than RE in any way imaginable
3. I hate shockwaves
and finally
4. Doesnt matter cause CHUD rules them all

wicker_man
Although i enjoyed Resident Evil (despite it not actually staying true to its game namesake), i couldn't really compare it to 28 Days Later despite both premises surrounding the walking dead, whilst Resident Evil was pure unadulterated 'pop corn' fun, 28 Days Later was much darker, grittier and at some points quite emotive, like most of Danny Boyles films (with the real exception of the Beach) his films are dark and quite original, despite the initial opening sequences similar to that of the opening scenes of Day of the Dead, i compared 28 Days Later more to the little known British film Threads which dealt with the aftermath of a nuclear fallout and Day of the Triffids which in my opinion offers more to 28 Days Later in idea of plot then Resident Evil ever did (i.e. both plots involve a young man waking up in completely deserted hospitals, meet up with other survivors and try to escape from some rather unscrupulous soldiers) 28 Days Later dealt more with hard hitting issues such a society without law and the reality of being alone which at times sent a chill down my spine.

Evil Dead
I think 28 Days Later is the best horror movie since Hellraiser............

"There all a rip from the one and only zombie movie of all time and that is Omega Man (1971) thats when they know how to make a movie"

I'm a huge Chuck Heston fan.......I love the Omega Man.....but it's nowhere near a Zombie movie. There are no zombies. They are merely mutated humans, much like the sci-fi movie "The Time Machine". There is nothing zombie like about them.

Silvermane
How could anybody think that movie sucked!!! I thought it was awesome especially when he's walking around the dead city, very creepy. It had sad parts too like at the barricade and the restaurant. Alternate endings weren't that good though. Anyway, if you didn't like it, you probably watched it during the day. My suggestion is watch in in the dead of night with all the lights off and your surround turned up high.

smokeurbesmoked
i think that 28DL was in its very right original and a copy from other movies...for one thing the way that the story line and charecters are portrayed is very awsome...RE was..IMO a very cheap movie...sure the chick was hott but i personally would like to see a movie come out so time soon that would be like 28DL...this movie set a new standered on how a a catastrophic disaster could happen...i think that was the main intention of the movie...to display to people that if we dont take care of our experiments and what not that some one may break in and corupt the world or, in turn destroy ourselves just to save an animal...this IMO is why we shouldn't have "animal-freaks" these people IMO are the people that do dumb shit like what we saw in the movie...people 28DL can and can not be compared with some types of movies, for instance..RE this movie was 110% hollywood...28DL was made in britain and had a much more dramtic affect on people then some cheap movie like RE could possibly ever do or create...but anyways....i think this movie was down right the best horror movie i have seen in a VERY long time...believe it or not the last good movie i saw was the Blair Witch Project...that stuff scared me straight...this movie actually...not from being scary but from when the tension is high like when there in the main charecters house and those 2 infected people bust in....yea that made me jump...that is what horror movies are all about....ALSO another i would like to addres to you people is the fact that the don't refer to the zombie like people as zombies...they refer to them as the "Infected" that little thing right there makes part of the movie intirely orignal...but one thing bad about this great movie was that it seemed to jump right into the catastrophey...i would've like to see it biuld up into the catastrophey more then they did....or if they did i would've liked it to be a little more dramatic then it was...but not to the extent that it is hollywood fake.

smokeurbesmoked
there is one thing that i don't quite like about horror movies....or atleast the ones i am about to mention....in the "Friday the 13th" and the "Hollowen" type movie...i really do not like these types of movies....the number one reason is that they are so unrealistic that i just want to laugh...for one thing when the killer(i.e Jason, Mike Myers) is trying to kill the people...the people obviously run...but they just dont run they go into an all out sprint..or atleast they try to...but what i am saying is that they are running there ass of and the killer is just walking....yet no matter how fast the people run the killer always gets ahead...people how the hell is that possible...i would hope you all see the Nike commercial of when Jason trys to kill this ladie and she breaks off into a dead sprint and smoke his....that is how it should be...also...another disgrace of a horror film IMO is "The Ring"...guys i was actually laughing during this ovie....i mean it arouses many stupid but intriging questions....like what if you only whatch the film half way...or when your suppossed to look at the girl so she can kill you...say you close your eyes...or what if when you pick up the phone and she says "you have seven days to live" say you hang up half way through what she is saying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.