More About Legolas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

arwen22
Aliases: Greenleaf
Date of Birth: ?
Race: Sindarin Elf
Height: around 6 feet or more
Date of Death: N/A
Alignment: Good
Parents: Thranduil - Father, ???-Mother
Spouse: None
Date of Marriage: N/A
Children: N/A

Physical description: Tall and fair, bright eyes, hair color is blonde, sufficient evidence as to either is not available. He wore the attire of the Silvan elves of Mirkwood, chiefly green and brown.

Biography: a Sindarin elf of the woodland, in the year 3019, Legolas journeyed to Rivendell to sit on the Council of Elrond, and was chosen to represent the Elves in the Fellowship. In Lorien, Legolas and Gimli became close friends, a friendship that lasted the rest of their lives. Legolas' great sight and archery skills were his greatest help to the Fellowship. After the Breaking of the Fellowship, Legolas went with Gimli and Aragorn in search of Merry and Pippin, and fought in the battle of Hornburg. He eventually went to Gondor, and fought in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields; while in Gondor, he had his first site of the sea, and was overcome by a deep desire to sail from that moment on. After the War of the Ring, he journeyed with Gimli to visit the Glittering Caves and Fangorn Forest. In the Year 120 FO, after the death of Aragorn, Legolas sailed over the sea, taking Gimli the dwarf with him, the last of the Fellowship.

badkittykitty
is he a prince?

sheild_Eowyn
Yes, he's the son of Thranduil

nazgulinthedark
*yawn* legolas stinks, GO RINGWRAITHS!!! eek!

LegolasIsMyMan
Ringwraiths stink, hullo.... Legolas is so hot,and very interesting....

Exa
thumb up
correct

How do we know Legolas' hair is blond?!? I rather think it's dark

sauron
his hair IS dark, but apparently no-one pays attention to what is written anymore.

ringwraiths are by far better than legolas

sauron
plus legolas threads so tiring and outdated

woodelf
Personally, I don't care if his hair was dark or blonde. All I know is he was an elf. Being an elf is being in tune with nature. Wasn't he a guardian of the forests? He was goodlooking as well. hehe. Sorry, couldn't help it. That just slipped out. embarrasment

BingaBonga
no offense to people who LOVE leoglas, but don't you think there is more to him other than he's hot?

sauron
very good point, i mean loveing him cos hes hot and not knowing him is shallow

nazgulinthedark
yes ringwraiths are awesome, but they sure aren't hot, or are they...shifty

sauron
they soooooo are hot

nazgulinthedark
yes laughing out loud yeah!

sauron, are you ok??

ilvorlandobloom
Legolas was so cool when killed that Mumakil. that part was one of the best parts of the movie.
btw, why do people who dont like Legolas come into threads about him?

Kitoky
Don't mind Sauron or naz...they're kinda....*twirls finger around ear* eh, as you can say...though I do agree that we do not know that Legolas has blonde hair, Tolkien never clarify that, though PJ always pictured Legolas as being fair haired.

woodelf
Ringwraiths are hot?! hahahahaha! You guys crack me up! Yes, there is more to Legolas than looks. So, what difference does it make if his hair was dark or blonde?
Someone who can feel something by a sixth sense would have to feel something very deeply. I guess that is how they get in touch with nature. I have read that elves experience extreme joy and saddness. They can die of a broken heart.

nazgulinthedark
ringwraiths can't die stick out tongue

woodelf
Nice tongue! hehehe. Just teasing. big grin

hollynkesten
ok, not only is he gorgeous, hes got grace, and if ya see his grace.. its beautiful... *sigh*

Exa
Because we are angry about Legolas blocking the whole forum conversation... and about the fact that new Legolas-threads are opened daily and NONE of it contains new facts or points of view.
This is the only one that has at least some information in it.

woodelf
I can see that. I have noticed many threads about the same thing, over and over again. It's understandable that it can become a "pain in the neck". Anyway, let's move on.

Corlindel
He should have an orc special haircut stick out tongue

woodelf
I tried to post a link, but I can't post a link yet on this board. I found an article on suite101.com. "Speaking of Legolas" was the title of the article. I don't know if it has been mentioned here before or not. I really liked this article. If there is someone who knows what article I am talking about, maybe they can post the link.

Mindmage
I like Legolas cause he is friends with Gimli. Speaking of Gimli, no one gives enough him enough credit. Of course, he isn't graceful or good with a bow or great looking but when it comes down to it he gets the job done with his axe. GO GIMLI!! I think Gimli is better than the Ringwraiths. Just my opinion. smile

woodelf
Well, since I can't post a link, I will just write a little about what I found. There is no copyright infringement intended here. This article, "Speaking of Legolas" was written by Michael Martinez. I am not going to write out the whole thing. I really don't know much about the history of Middle-earth, but I did enjoy reading this article about the youthful Elf.

"Speaking of Legolas" by: Michael Martinez

We cannot, alas!, be sure of anything concerning his past. He probably knew Aragorn and Gandalf before the Council of Elrond, but there is no sign of recognition. He probably had been to Dale and Erebor, but he and Gimli don't seem to have really known each other before the Council of Elrond. Of course, they travelled together for some weeks before they began bonding. Legolas seems to have made the first overtures of friendship when he tried to soften his words about the history of the Balrog on the borders of Lorien.

Of course, Legolas also lost his temper when Gimli refused to go blindfold alone into Lorien. That was the only time Legolas ever became cross with anyone. Was he speaking as a proud Elven prince, or as a young Elf-lord who had not yet burned out his youthful fires? Legolas was still curious about the world, following Aragorn all the way to Gondor, seeking the hidden secrets of Fangorn, and allowing himself to become absorbed in the beauty of Aglarond.

Perhaps most Elves would have appreciated the sights Legolas encountered on his journey, but there is something youthful and refreshing in the way he glances back at the spirits following Aragorn's company. "...Legolas turning to speak to Gimli looked back and the Dwarf saw before his face the glitter in the Elf's bright eyes...."

There is something playful in the way Legolas engages in a deadly game with Gimli at Helm's Deep. Can anyone picture Elrond counting coup on Orcs in the midst of a very serious struggle over the future of Rohan? Or what of Feanor? Filled with fury though he was, at the end of his life he was still the stern and measuring father. Whatever mirth he might have known in youth had long since fallen away. So, too, was the mirth of Fingolfin long since shorn from him when he rode forth to challenge Morgoth to battle. And the Maedhros who chided his angry brothers with laughter over Thingol's cession of empty lands to the Noldor became a grim and determined lord who, by the end of the First Age, was consumed with weariness and the burden of guilt.

Legolas seems rather impetuous when he and Gimli are riding through the "herd" of Huorns and Ents who have saved the Rohirrim at Helm's Deep. He can barely contain himself as they ride through the trees, and when he discovers eyes looking out at them, he turns back from the road and starts to enter the strange wood. Only Gandalf's caution brings Legolas out of his curious Elvish euphoria. It is hard to imagine Celeborn or Galadriel being so overcome with curiosity they would abandon their mission to find out more about the eyes in the wood.

The character of Legolas is not so much compelling as confounding. I think many people wonder about him because he seems such a paradox, both old and young, both wise and yet inexplicably ignorant of the wide world around him. Legolas is a subtle stroke of Elvish youth at the end of the Elder Days. It may be there were few young Elves around at the time, and his may have been the last great adventure for a young Elf in Middle-earth. When Celeborn finally sailed over Sea, Tolkien notes, the last living memory of the Elder Days went with him. But when Legolas built his ship and departed, it may be that the last sparkle of youthful Elfdom vanished from Middle-earth, too.

Michael Martinez is the author of Visualizing Middle-earth

Kitoky
GIMLI BETTER THEN THE NAZGULS!?!? Are you mad!?! That's it, me Sauron, Exa, and naz are huntin' you down *goes to get her Fell Beast*

mad

Exa
*hunting mindmage down*
Nobody can ever, ever be better than the nazgul!!

But I agree with you when you say nobody gives him enough credit *sniff* yes, GO GIMLI big grin

sauron
^^^ yeah, if you mean let an orc DO it, take his head right off it would^^^ big grin big grin big grin

now all you people saying you are in love with legolas, were you in love with him from the books, BEFORE the films, NO!!!! so therfore you love orlando bloom, HE, orlando bloom does not have depth, the script has depth for him.

and p,s orlidroolers you are shallow, sorry to say it but you are, say if gimlis and legolas,s roles had been swapped, would you be saying "sigh, gimli is so great, his depth is beautiful", i dont think so

*throws another 2 cents somewhere* < damn i better stop that im running out

woodelf
Hmm. Sorry to interupt your "discussion", but I am wondering if I have to be obnoxious in order to get a response from anyone. Do any of you really want to talk about the character, or just act childish? No disrespect to anyone, but I just posted something that I thought was interesting and none of you seemed to even see it. You just want to argue. Is that what this forum is about?

Kitoky
*cough* Actually woodelf, we have noticed it, and I have read and it really is quite interesting, I just posted something funny to lighten up things. Sorry if you felt ignored.

Though Book Leggy and Movie Leggy seem to act different in some ways. Legolas on the movies seem to be portrayed as calm, athletic, fighting figure, that is sooooo cool. Though Legolas in the books has his faults and does tend to be angry sometimes....

woodelf
I understand about trying to lighten things up. I have tried that as well. That seems to be the only thing that gets a response. Sorry if I "went off" too soon, just feeling ignored.

KidRock
oh god so true

DONT go to the pirates of the caribean forum or all you will see is 50 threads on how Johnny depp is coller then orlando bloom or the other way around

sauron
right im going to the search bar at the bottom, and im gonna see just how many orli threads there are

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.