Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SlayerChick1188
A new Jude Law movie is coming out in 2004 that looks kinda cool:

Sky Captain and the world of Tomorrow
It's also starring Angelina Jolie and Gweneth Paltrow...

Its hard to describe it really, but here's the trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/

The Trailer's theme song is from "Stargate: SG1" if anyone's wondering big grin

Kes
Ah the new Angelina Jolie movie. She is in it, its good. At least she'll be good!

SlayerChick1188
Yeah, I tend to like her better with a british accent, which she has in this one...

Kes
Yeh. The trailer looks pretty cartoonish but...Angie is in it, I'll see it and enjoy it. Dispite Paltorw and Law (dont like them).

SlayerChick1188
laughing out loud i like Jude, but gweneth annoys me too sick

caballera
does anybody know anything about the plot of this movie? it's been on a lot of "most anticipated" lists and the trailer looks good...(budweiser.com/1) ....but i don't know what it's about.

greyboy
not sure about the plot, but the trailer does def look awesome...

Kes
Plot summarymessedet in New York City circa 1939, the film centers on a reporter who notices that the world's scientists are disappearing. Teamed with a skilled pilot and an adventurous colleague, it's up to her to thwart the plans of a mad scientist bent on world domination.

caballera
oooh! that sounds really cool! i wanna see!

Poptarts
good trailer

caballera
i thought so too, but it doesn't reveal much. gwyneth looks lovely in it.

Hypernova
Anyone seen the trailer to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow yet?

Stars
Angelina Jolie , Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law .

Lord Soth
The story is interesting, I like the fact that it's mostly CG (it tests the acting talents of the stars), but I don't like Jude Law or Gwenyth Paltrow, so I probably won't see it

Hypernova
I'm impartial to Jude Law, but I am not a Gwyneth Paltrow fan.

However, I am a fan of AJ and Scifi so I will probably go and see it.

Kes
Like me big grin but I love Angie so much I'll go see it.
It does look a bit to cartoonish but Angie is in it smile

caballera
You guys didn't like Jude Law in The Talented Mr. Ripley? i thought he did a great. Actually, I think he's a great actor. You just have to watch the movies he's been in that are quality.

WindDancer
Just the fact that Angelina is in the movie is not reason enough to go see it. Yup! this same dilema happen to me before I went to see Tomb Raider..... Shame on me! For some reason Captain sky whatever reminds me of the Rocketeer.

Kes
WD to me Angie being in it is reason enough smile

WindDancer
I understand your reason is perfectly fine. Is just that her great talent would be more appreciated in a better movie. This film doesn't look very good. Of course that's only because of the trailers I've seen.

Kes
Indeed. I hope she makes another "Oscar" type movie. And yes the trailer looks crappy. It looks like a cartoon but stick out tongue

Hypernova
Yes, specially since she wins them when she is nominated, right? wink

Kes
LOL yeh smile
Nah, she's a good actress and deserves good movies.

silver_tears
I have no desire to see this movie after watching the trailer no expression
Even Angie isn't worth it stick out tongue

Kes
ranting You must go see it!!!

stick out tongue

silver_tears
I'll sneak in to watch her part ninja

Kes
Better!big grin

caballera
I think the trailer is kind of neat b/c it mimics the early Hollywood style of trailers especially when they say each actor's name and then show a quick shot of them.

caballera
Even though the CGI is kind of screwy

nach01
that part was the best part of the whole trailor... the movie looks like it stinks!!!!!!!

caballera
maybe i'm just being hopeful for the sake of the talented actors/ actresses involved.....

nach01
i guess... angies the only talented one there but ill be hopeful too, just for her

caballera
does anybody know the next movie angie's going to be in???

Kes
She was in Taking lives and I think this one is next. If not its Mr. and Mrs.Smith.
Oh she gives her voice to a character in Shark Tale.

caballera
Oh, awesome!! Thanks for the info, Kes!

burlyman
Jolie and Jude! eek! *drools*

Kes
Just saw on imdb.com that Alexander is already in post-production so after this one Alexander is the most likely to come out.

But lets get back to Sky...

caballera
I'm actually pretty curious to see how Sky Captain turned out.

nach01
ppl are saying it's supposed to be good, but it doesnt look good in my opinion

burlyman
Also Shark Tales smokin'

caballera
Maybe it will be fun, even if it's not good... (hopefully better than the 1st Tomb Raider.)

nach01
i liked the first tomb raider... despite it's looks, im going to still see sky captain for angie

Samas-adian
I think Sky looks kinda of neat. Its different and the CGI looks kinda of cool. Reminds me of old 1940's comic books. Its interesting enough and does not look like a typical CGI movie.

Kes
After the initial shock, cos its quite different, its growing on me. I'm quite curious about it now!

Stormy Day
I dont know when a movie has ever been good just because Angelina Jolie is in it stick out tongue .

The movie doesnt look like it will iterest me it looks to fake and cartoonish.I dont care much for Jude Law or Angelina Jolie I am looking forward to Gwyneth Paltrow tho she always seems to put some spark in a dull movie.

Box Office prediction-50 mil or more

nach01
that's interesting.. your probably right, im sure after i see it ill love it big grin

Primitive Screwhead #1
Gia comes to mind.

This movie reminds me a little of Dark City... maybe that's just the Jude Law connection popping out. Either way, it has potential to be a nice sleeper film this summer.

Stormy Day
She has only been good in GI60S.I liked Life or Something Like it for the story.Tomb Raider 1&2 and Original Sin and every other crappy movie shes made has just ruined her already lame reputation.

lil bitchiness
I kinda like Gwineth embarrasment But I cant wait for this movie, it will be fantastic to see Angie in this kinda film. smile

Kes
Stormy Day> And yet you like Gwyneth sick

Stormy Day
I can actually stand to see Gwyneth on the screen and unlike Angelina shes made more than 2 good movies.

Kes
I have 2 reply for your post:
1. To bad her performances are always crap.

2. Name them? Cos I cant even think of 1 good movie she has been in.

But since this discussion is pointless because i wont stop liking Angie or start liking Gwyneth and you wont stop liking Gwyneth nor start liking Angie. And its not the topic lets just get back to the movie.

Stormy Day
tsk tsk

when mods figure out they cant argue anymore and realize there fav actor is lame they say "Lets get back ontopic"

Kes
You know, I hate when ppl say that!
Trust me, I will never think Angie is lame or a bad actress. Much less worst the Gwyneth!

WindDancer
Honestly I like her, but she really needs to get into better movies. Or at least work along with a good actor. She also needs to be villain in some movies. Her being the heroine all the time is just get's too old.

Primitive Screwhead #1
I can carry on the argument for a short while longer...

Angelina Jolie >> Gwyneth Paltrow

Whereas Angelina may have the dubious honor of being in the god-awful Tomb Raider series, she has at least proven herself of acting across several different genres. Gwyneth's characters all seem to take on that whiny, defenseless, vulnerable element... which a possible exception to A Perfect Murder. Until she demonstrates that she can break out of this stereotype, Jolie will always be a better actress IMO despite some of her acting selections.

One other item: Paltrow's only decent acting performance was in Seven, and I only give her that because the head-in-a-box performance was pretty fitting for a unproven actress like herself. Unfortunately for her, they didn't give her camera time for that scene... it was up to the audience to give her the benefit of the doubt. Oh well. Lost opportunity to break the stereotype...no2

Stormy Day
How would I know im just a Newbie.

Thats ok if you dont think shes a bad actress its just that theres better actors out there to be your fav.

SCREWHEADmessedhe would have been good if she didnt make the Tomb Raider movies.I would have at least had some respect for her.

Kes
Then you dont understand how much work went into being Lara Croft. Trust me, that women worked her butt off to get into shape and she basically did all the stunts herself. Not to mention that she is the perfect Croft whether you like the movie or not.

And she's one of my favorite. I have several, some are mentioned on my profile others arent.

nach01
Okay, yea angie has had some bombers, but she's still amazing... and i just cant stand Gwyneth or Jude Law

Stormy Day
Kes,I cant see Lara Croft as anyone else that I why I though I was gonna love it but I didnt.I dont care whether she broke every bone in her body to make a movie I still didnt like it.

There wasnt any good action scences in the movie nothing that I havent seen before and better.

Nach01 I cant stand Jude Law either.He was ok in A.I. in my opinion.

Kes
That's the problem with action movie, its all been done. But that base (or building) jump in TB2 you've never seen before. That was ace!
regardless, this is getting a bit tiresome!

Back to the movie.

lil bitchiness
Well...i cant see the trailer, it wont play cry Anyone has any other links.....for the trailer?

Kes
Here:http://www.apple.com/trailers/
Just go to Paramount.

lil bitchiness
thumb up Saw it! big grin

Looks good...but Jude Law and Gwineth Paltrow have leading roles erm

Stormy Day
Ok Kes as you wish well go back to the movie.

caballera
Is this coming out in major cities first or is it a huge release?

Stormy Day
You can call it a HUGE release.#1 the first weak and downhill from there.

caballera
oh man..... sad

Stormy Day
sad

caballera
Any news on how the movie actually is/ was?

Stormy Day
Kes is an expert on these ANgelina flicks wait till she reply smile

Kes
I actually dont know. Production on this was kept in secret pretty well.

<<Solo>>
Brooklyn Films is directing it.

Stormy Day
whats his background?

caballera
I think this will be one that I wait to see until I hear what other people think about it. smile

Stormy Day
Yeah me to.

Kes
I like making up my own mind. My taste is unique LOL

Stormy Day
Yeah but I dont want to waste the money

scuba
I heard that you wont see her till the end of the movie????.............butt ill still go see it for her...

Stormy Day
big grin

caballera
same w/ me. i'm broke and a student! smile

Stormy Day
Yep students are cheap smile

caballera
You know it! wink

Stormy Day
I have living with me right now.And oh my god I have to pay her for gas money to take me somewhere she cant ever spare me a buck.And she sleeps and eats at my house!

caballera
omg... that sounds horrifically stressful! sad

Stormy Day
yes,but its cool because shes hardly every home because she has like 4 jobs because she saving up for the new school year.4 JOBES AND SHE CANT SPARE ME A BUCK!

caballera
Sigh! How icky....

Stormy Day
yup

caballera
good luck with that! smile

Kes
Sky Captain ppl.

caballera
right-o! i wonder what kind of performance ms. paltrow gives....

Stormy Day
Better than Angelinas stick out tongue so thats gonna be good smile

caballera
oh man.... i sense a fight coming after that one! wink

Stormy Day
I sense it to

*RUNS*

Kes
Why do you sense a fight? She believes Gwyneth is a better actress I dont. What can I say...americans are known for their bad taste.

Machete_guy
laughing

caballera
HAHAHA.... and hey!

Stormy Day
Yeah and the portugese say Angelinas the best thing since freedom!

Vengeance
lol thats funny, and i agree Gwyneth is bad at every thing she does, i dont even have the slitest need to see this movie. i slap another RATED CRAP on this one.

Stormy Day
I liked her in Shallow Hal only because it was a really funny movie smile

Vengeance
she only did good becuase jack black is awsome actor and just stupidly funny, but sad to say his newer movie envy looks like crap. but thats what u get when you but ben stiller in a movie with actors with talent

Stormy Day
Well yah I think the movie is gonna be crap and I hate Angelina and Jude Law she probaly the only thing im looking forward to

Kes
It's Portuguese. She is. Since she represents freedom of speech it kinda fits .
You know Stormy, since you registered you've been trying to annoy me. I'll say this once, there are certain things I do not admit from ppl I do not know, which is your case. So your constant trolling in this thread, the Alexander thread and the Angie Jolie thread has reached my limit. Specially with the Tomb Raider thread.
This is a warning!

Stormy Day
Your warning me because you dont like my opinions.Your the one who said Americans have bad taste wink I simply made a comback chillout.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Stormy-

Actually some of your posts are supporting Kes' argument about American taste. You've stated your opinions regarding Angelina vs. Gwyneth, and while I feel differently your opinion is respected. However... your objectivity has been severely lacking as of recent (you have been harping the same thing over and over and over...), and it actually is somewhat embarrassing from a fellow American. You're not representing too well here... whistle

Stormy Day
What does me being american have to do with my taste in movies and actors?

And dude I live in america but im actually hispanic

Primitive Screwhead #1
Bad taste = Some contributions to this forum.

I never said anything about your taste in movies. And like I'm supposed to know your nationality...

But we're getting off topic again. My bad...

Stormy Day
Your saying something about me talking about something over and over and that its making americans look dumb thats pretty stupid.

Kes made a joke about americans and I make a comback its as simple as that.And if I dont like Angelina and I like Gywneth its my choice.She cant bann me for stating my opinion and replying to forums.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Your attitude toward fellow members on this forum is what is embarrassing. You're adding 2 and 2 together and getting 9 here: you might want to improve on your interpretation skills. And there's really no rule as to when a person can and can't be banned. If you're testing the limits, you might be surprised to find yourself on the outside looking in.

Getting back on topic again: Have any new trailers been released for this as of recent?

Stormy Day
Dude dont start something and not finish it by saying "Lets get back ontopic"

Whats so embarrasing im not embarrased voicing my opinion doesnt make me a fool or an embarrasement.I know mods can bann you for whatever reason theyd like to because they seem to be the high power around here,but its not right to bann a person for voicing a opinion or because he is annoying you or because he started a thread that is elligable to be here even though you dont like it.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Sooooo... that means you don't know of any new trailers, then?

Stormy Day
smile I think theres only one out now the Teaser Trailer

Kes
It wasnt your reply to my joke. It is your constant replies that have crossed my boundaries several times. And not just this thread. Your opinion was stated I respect it. But certain things I do not allow, specially from someone I do not now. That's why you got a warning.

Kes
No point in draging this along!
There's a trailer in www.apple.com

Stormy Day
Ok

Stormy Day
I got a magazine with a article on the movie actually I have quit a few that mention it but it looks fake,it has a low budget, it was shot almost entirely on blue screen, those pictures you been seeing with like the weird bright lighting thats throughout the whole movie! OH AGONY!

caballera
sadly, the trailer is gone from budweiser.com/1 and the apple one looks like a different trailer. maybe the film has a site? smile

Stormy Day
Alexander.com maybe stick out tongue

caballera
that's apparently not it. sad wink

Kes
You have a trailer here:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346156/
And here is the official site:http://www.skycaptain.com/

caballera
awesome!! Thanks, Kes! wink

Stormy Day
Oh i mistaked this for the alexander thread big grin

I would have said SkyCaptain.com roll eyes (sarcastic)

caballera
lol! i got what you meant, though. smile

Holcomb
bump to see if anyone knows if Lawrance Olivier is really in this?!?!?!?!

Holcomb
I saw one last night and it was awesome. Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

Cinemaddiction
The ads are interesting but the premise of the film seems too dated to make for a successful summer movie. The whole 50's Sci Fi gimmick worked back then for a reason.

Stormy Day
Im not liking the whole look of this film.Its creative and something different but I dont think there gonna pull it off.

cal31
I think it's going to do good only because of the look of the film. If it had just been done as a regularly shot film, it wouldn't get good reviews, but for some reason I think the critics are gonna give it good reviews because of its look. Not saying I think it'll be good, but the critics will.

MildPossession
I look forwards to anything with Angelina Jolie in.

Saw a trailer for this months ago, looks fun.

Holcomb
The whole reason I want to see this is because it looks different than anything else that has come out in a while. I'm just in the mood for a change.

cal31
the only thing is, people bashed movies like the Star Wars prequels and the Matrix Sequels because all they had was basically blue/green screen, even though they had quite a few sets and actual models built for both movies. Sky Captain is all blue screen, nothing is real except the actors, yet it is getting praised for it. It just shows how much of a double standard there is with critics. If they want to bash a movie, they'll bash it no matter what, if they want to love it, they'll love it no matter what, half the time they don't review films based on what they saw and how good the film was.

lil bitchiness
Thread merged.

I cant wait for this movie! eek! droolio Angelina Looks stnning in it, as always! happy

<<Solo>>
It will either be very awesome or suck really bad.

FlappingMangera
Angelina does look stunning, meow.. i'm goign with very awesome on this one

Altar[1stONE]
i think and know this movie will be a huge flop , the plot wasnt clear in the trailer . And now that i know alittle about it , i think its going to be something similar to battle field earth.

FlappingMangera
maybe we saw different trailers, but i thought it made sense. May not be the movie of the year, but i'm def goign to check it out. I'm pretty sure it'll beat the pants off battlefield earth(i love how everyone references this movie as the worst movie ever)

Holcomb
Why don't you think they are going to pull it off?

BloomBabyGirl
im just gonna go sewe this movie cuz jude law is an amazing actor

SaTsuJiN
It looks interesting, and I do like the 50's sci-fi theme ^_^

Holcomb
Did anyone else see those cool new TV spots over the weekend? I like the whole man vs. machine thing.

Mr Parker
I am defenetely looking forward to this movie.

Holcomb
Anyone read that article with Jude Law talking about working with the blue screens? Sounds more challenging than I would think but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Alpha Centauri
This movie sound enjoyable.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Nothing to do with the mental jokes I can have about why Angelina Jolie is wearing an eye patch.....

-AC

trav6612
This movie looked like crap in the theatrical trailers, meaning the picture looked all grey and stuff, but I saw the tv trailer and it looked really good.

Holcomb
Agreed, those tv spots are really cool.

trav6612
yeah I was a little disappointed with the theatrical trailor. I wasn't even going to see it, but the TV spots are what have got me wanting to see it. In the theater it looked to fake.

Holcomb
So far, sky captain has a really high rating on rotten tomatoes. That's encouraging.

<<Solo>>
It will either be horrible or awesome.

WindDancer
Does anyone know why do the people in this movie GLOW so much? Sheesh! The trailers, the posters, and the pics they all look like they glow.

Anyways, I will go see this movie. The only reason is because it's set in alternate timeline and it has a concept of fantasy. So, I'm interested and very likely to go see it. I won't make anymore judgements till I see this movie in theathers.

Mr Parker
yeah I agree,there wont be no in between.

Holcomb
Just got my tickets for tonight, this should be good. I need an angelina fix.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>