Any little known classics out there?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

johnny_rotten
I need some help.

I like to watch as many movies as possible, but am worried that some "gems" slip through without my notice. Can anyone recommend any good films that :-

a) Are not predictable
b) Make you think.
c) Have an impact

I have a few below that people may find interesting

Laramie project
Shine
Swimming Upstream
Fargo
Fail Safe
Ed Gein
Dolores Claiborne
Chopper

Any input greatly appreciated

Kes
I hate Fargo. Totally overrated( in my opinion).
I recommend Nell with Jodie Foster and Wuthering Heights with Ralph Fiennes ans Juliette Binoche. Very good movies (IMO).
Moving to movie discussion.
moving--moved

burlyman
oh my, the stupidity roll eyes (sarcastic)
http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=1800229631&s=&rvid=255-47291&i=1&spl=&ys=34irJqQ3S3niELlF79dXKw--

Kes
Interesting review. Obviously written by a man who doesnt know what good movies are.

amity75
The original foreign version of "The vanishing" is an amazing film with a thoroughly shocking ending.

BackFire
Irreversible

Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer

Dog Soldiers

Elephant Man

Happiness

Last House on the Left

Sweet Hereafter

Peeping Tom

Man Bites Dog

All those movies should satisfy you're requirements, they are among the most powerful films ever made.

Tired Hiker
Kids

BackFire
Ah, another good choice TH

amity75
Repo man

johnny_rotten
Yes !! This is a right classic. I have it on DVD. 10/10 for suggesting it.

That review of "Nell" (see link above) ???...the blokes obviously..well god knows.

Kes.. shame you think "Fargo" is overated, it just tears me up everytime I see it.

many thanks for everyones tips, it is very much appreciated. I will keep a keen eye on this thread daily.

DracotheDragon
Last Action Hero and Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.

Kes
Well Francis something didnt deserve that Oscar.There was just to much vipe around a simple dark comedy. That I didnt like...but thats my opinion.

johnny_rotten
Kes.. The Coen brothers do make some strange films (in some peoples eyes). Again, it's horses for courses when it comes to movie tastes.
You should check out a movie called "Levity" with Billy Bob Thornton.

BackFire
Fargo is original in every sense of the word, there is nothing else quite like it. It's so cooky, but still incredibly poignient and dramatic.

johnny_rotten
I totally agree with this comment. It's amazing the movie was based on a true story. In my opinion Francis Mcdormand totally deserved her Oscar. I have watched it many many times & it still has me in stitches.
it is just so incredibly atmospheric & original. It's a tragedy that there are not more films in this mould.

MissesDepp?!
The Ninth Gate, incredible movie. Eerie in it's own way
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, drug movie it makes you think what the hell these ppl are doing still hilarious and witty.

BackFire
Leaving Las Vegas is also very good.

MissesDepp?!
Never seen it all i know is Fear and Loathing is absolutley hilarious. HURRAH FOR JOHNNY AND BENCINO

Agent K
I really like Edward Scissorhands, got it for CHristmas yesterday.

Silvermane
Everyone always forgets one of the greats, Aliens. Also if you like a bit of a slower horror movie try Alien. Want something funny thats not to bad try Alien Ressurection. Want a movie that will make you want to get a labotomy after see Alien 3. In short I mean watch the Alien Series minus #3. Can't wait for #5 and Alien vs Preditor smokin'

While we are on the subject, You should also see John Carpenters The Thing. Its got great effects from the age before computer graphics and its scary as hell in surround.

wicker_man
War of the Buttons ~ This is a little known film telling of a feud between two groups of youngsters from two small rural Irish villages, although a kids film in vein, it has alot more substance then that of your typical kids orientated film, with alot of mature issues being covered including prejudice and domestic abuse. Unlike most predictable kids films this one has a pretty surprising ending that certainly distances itself from its predictable counterparts.

Evil Dead
One movie I love that is overlooked quite often is Full Metal Jacket...........you'd be surprised how many people in this day and age still have not seen this classic.

Oh.....and the original Planet of the Apes ........the 1969 version that Tim Burton tried to destroy with his blasphemous remake starring Marky Mark.

BackFire
I just saw another very wierd movie, from Gasper Noe: Director of Irreversible.

It's called 'I Stand Alone', it was his first real movie, it is very dark and disgusting, I recomend everyone see's it.

dystopia
I agree, Fargo is overrated.

If you're looking for classics, watch Hitchcock's films (Psycho, North by Northwest, Vertigo). Also check out Citizen Kane if you haven't already. It's a Hollywood/American classic.

Striel
Frailty.

Frailty.

Frailty.

Kes
Citizen Kane has amazing camera work, but has a movie it is totally overrated.

SharkmanSIX
John Depps forgotten flick "Nick of Time" I thought it was great, others did not. Cant really remember but I think Walken is in it too.

SharkmanSIX
How could I forget! BRUCE WILLIS! DIRECTOR TONY SCOTT! PRODUCER JOEL SILVER! THE LAST BOYSCOUT! CLASSIC ACTION!
BE THERE!
BE THERE!

EXCITMENT OF DIE HARD! THRILLS OF LETHAL WEAPON! HUMAR OF A GOOD COMEDY! THE LAST BOYSCOUT WILL BLOW YOU INTO THE NEXT ROOM! CAN YOU STAND THE EXCITMENT?!?!?!??!?!

Centinul
Equilibrium.... That is an awesome movie smile

mook

TimberlandG2
Monty Python and the Holy Grail!!
Newsies!!
COwboy Bebop!!

papabeard
Dead Mans Shoes ( One of the best films ive ever seen)
Man Bites Dog
Clay Pigeons

jaden101
Originally posted by papabeard
Dead Mans Shoes

definitely

disco pigs
sweet sixteen
city of god
das experiment (german film)
storm of the century
twin town

MildPossession
"Dead Mans Shoes ( One of the best films ive ever seen)"

It's very good, and from Britain smile

Das Experiment is excellent also!

general-pain
The Pink Panther Strikes Again. That is the funniest movie of all time.

djois
Memento, makes you see what happends backwards
Lola rennt (run lola run) interesting film
Dogville, weird film, more of a theater thing?
The life of david gale

Whirlysplatt
Powder smile Its not really a kids film

Wolfie
License to Drive. It's a classic, IMO, and few people I know have heard of it.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Wolfie
License to Drive. It's a classic, IMO, and few people I know have heard of it.

80's teen movie very funny smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.