What to do?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Mrs.Mechmoggy is on the verge of accepting a new job in B'ham, the catch is the financial headquarters is in Kent and if she does accept the job she'll, no we'll, be expected to move there in a year or two. I don't want to stand in the way of her career and I hear that Kent is lovely but......I dunno. sad

Lara
oh! thats a toughie!

yerssot
hey, you love her, right? what does your hart tell you?

finti
go to kent it might surprise you in a positive way smile

Ratcat
Kent is great, but a lot more expensive that Birmingham when it comes to buying a house.

Plus prices on one side of Kent can be completely different to the other side. If we sold out little terraced house in Dartford and moved about 50 miles further out from London then we could probebly get a 4 bedroomed detached for the same money....

keokiswahine
write down all the positives to this move on the left side of a sheet of paper, and all the negatives on the right hand side. This will give you an idea what the balance is, would this move be a positive or negative. Look at the big picture, job, housing, cost of living (food, fuel, petrol, rent, mortage, proximity to stores), transportation, house and car insurance rates, distance to family, commuting, school for your children, child care, church, future job growth for both of you, your own job future--what will you be doing? your job status? Bored now? Time for a new adventure?

Ratcat
Thankfully for us Keo, a lot of those things don't vary by that much between the regions.

Remember, you could fit the land space of England into most of the States of the US.

Good point though, I think the key ones are Property Prices (Rented or Bought) and Motor/Property Insurances

Things like Motor Fuel, Food/Groceries, Utilities and Mortgages don't really change that much at all.

Obviously the location of schools, public and private transportation networks and stores need to be considered but Kent is pretty well equiped as a whole, even in the villages nowadays.

As far as Church goes, if it's good old Christain faster, son and the holy ghost then you won't have any problem there and most other denominations are pretty well covered unless you're planning on going right out in the sticks.

Childcare is a biggy, though I seem to remember that it doesn't effect the moggy's at this time.

Mechmoggy, if you want anything specific on Kent then you might try the Kent website run by the Kent County Council

http://www.kent.gov.uk

Also, if you want anything specific, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help out.

mechmoggy
We're putting the decision off till the weekend. Think I'm just frightened of change. If I remember correctly there are always engineering jobs being advertised for Kent, so work for me shouldn't be a problem, except I'll have to loose my partnership stake in my business, but I've been thinking about a change soon anyway.

Gundark
Go for it.

Lara
Yerss its heart! not hart!*tut* roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
sorry sad
won't make the mistake again!

Lara
I didnt have to correct you. I just felt like being nice. smile

yerssot
but you are already nice!

Ratcat
Mech, what kind of Engineering do you do?

Dim
I don't know mech..it seems like 24 is a bit young to be anchoring yourself to any one place..I say take the chance while you're both still young and you don't have a big family to worry about.

keokiswahine
GO FOR IT, MECH. HAVE AN ADVENTURE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG. Don't wait until you have 6 kids....... big grin big grin big grin

mechmoggy
6 kids!!! You know I'm not really a cat don't you Keo? laughing out loud

I'm a manufacturing engineer RC. Sometimes called that or production engineer or mechanical support engineer. Many guises have I. big grin

Ratcat
If I were you Mech I'd go for it. Besides, in a country like ours it's not a massive move to make.

I would always say it is better to take the risk than to ignore it and be constantly wondering 'What if?' If it turns around and bites you on the ass then at least you will have given it a go.

Besides, no one has a 'Job for Life' anymore so chances are you'd be looking to move on sometime, why not use this as the ideal opportunity to broaden your horizons at the same time. smile

mechmoggy
I'm still in shock that your advising me to move RC. You do realise that house prices in Kent will fall rapidly on my moving there? eek!

keokiswahine
go for it, mech; have an new adventure now, and support your lady in her career. Most women have to follow their men around and never get to follow their own employment dreams. Let her have hers, and you never know, it may turn out you got the better deal in your own employment status. smile

Dim
Okay, so it seems everyone is in agreement..mech should move to Kent big grin

So, when do you start packing your bags, young man?

finti
A Kent party would suit me fine

mechmoggy
If I sell my house and all my worldly possesions I may be able to afford a shoe box in Kent methinks. Lets hope RC has a spare room for me and Mrs.MM! wink

finti
Yeah the attic evil face cool

mechmoggy
I'm not fussy, and besides I'll get to look at all the presents he's bought. Won't the kids be gutted when they open thier selection boxes to find I've scoffed the lot. evil face

keokiswahine
*backs up truck, and unloads packing boxes in mech's yard*
Have fun packing !!! laughing out loud This is when you get to do your spring cleaning early. evil face

Dim
Well, actually..I guess they have a year before they have to move huh?

mechmoggy
About that, yeah. I really was hoping to go to UCE to finish off my degree because B'ham is a very industrial city and has great links to multi-national engineering firms.

keokiswahine
ah, hah, here's where the rest of the story comes out. well, I don't know where your school is, or if you can do most of it by correspondence, but you're got to set your priorities and make tough choices. Yes, I would be the first one to encourage you to finish your schooling, but........ sometimes, you hafta consider the opportunities, too. Tough one, mech, I wish you good luck in setting your goals, priorities, and choices. smile

mechmoggy
I'm not all bad Keo, I've been looking into ways of finding an employer who'll support my degree studies. I've even got some info coming from the Royal Navy and Air force, but when I told Mrs.MM she went spare! sad

finti
"Papa take a look at your boy
He's a military man
Mama take a look at your boy
He's dying
He's fighting
He's frightened" Gary Moore & Phil Lynott
rolling on floor laughing

barbie_girl
go for it mech and remember live life to the full!

keokiswahine
Don't join the military unless you actually want to be in the military. If you join for the wrong reasons, you'll be the most unhappy camper there, and your wifey will be a most unhappy spouse, too. Not good for your marriage.

finti
well at least you got an option, not so in Norway. Here the military is mandatory sad and after serving my country I get enlisted in the mobilizing reserves (double sad )

mechmoggy
Looks like the decision has been taken out of our hands now. Mrs.MM accepted the job and they then said there was an internal candidate for the job and she'd have to wait for a decision from them, and she hasn't heard from them since. Good job she hadn't handed in her notice though I thought. So now she's back on the job market again. roll eyes (sarcastic)

keokiswahine
never hand in a notice until you've been confirmed for the job in writing.

yerssot
they learned it the hard way...

mechmoggy
Uh huh yerss, she never handed it in (thankfully). big grin

yerssot
have I said that? big grin

mechmoggy
Now I'm all confused? confused

yerssot
woohoo! smile

keokiswahine
mech, welcome to our corner of the great confused out there. big grin big grin eek! laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing smokin'

ToMacco
I'm never confused!

mechmoggy
My arse you aren't. stick out tongue

yerssot
YOUR arse? YOUR?

what about his?
Nothing can be THAT ugly!

keokiswahine
so, mech, what's happening now? wink

finti
He has to find himself before he kan answere that question

keokiswahine
Is he lost? Lost in space? Lost in time?
eek! wink roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin confused evil face smokin'

yerssot
lost in Stavanger? Not likely, only one person there!

finti
it takes only one to confuse Yers, at least you should know that.
You confused yourself. big grin

yerssot
very weak reply,
please do better next time

finti
weak replys for the feeble minded roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
so you are saying that you can't do any better because otherwhise you can't follow?
ok, I won't complicate it all!

finti
Yerssot; master of misinterpretations !!!!!!!!!!!!

yerssot
at least I do something good!

keokiswahine
a maultini, please? big grin

queeq
Get your butt to the bar then.

ToMacco
keo can't drive: already drunk smile

mechmoggy
Sorry Keo, been away on business again. You won't see much of me this week and then nothing over Chrimbo cus I'll be off work. Lets all have a quick group hug before I depart into the great unknown..... sad

keokiswahine
*hugs mech* smile smile smile stay safe, buddy

yerssot
Ow, somebody is obsesed with grouphuggs here!

mechmoggy
*Hugs Keo right back*

(Keo walks away with two oily hand prints on her bum! eek! )

yerssot
Now, isn't this a Kodak-moment? smile

*takes picture of it*

keokiswahine
*looks at bum*

*backs up to mech's backside, and bumps him, leaving his 2 oily handprints on his own bum* evil face evil face evil face smokin' stick out tongue laughing out loud laughing out loud

mechmoggy
laughing out loud You saying that reminds me of my favourite practical joke at work, when someone becomes a member of staff they are changed from a blue jacket to a white jacket. I wait till my hands are black with oil and put both hands on thier shoulders whilst talking to them about something. They usually don't realise but for the rest of the day they walk around, with what looks like, the evidence of some serious violation that occured!!

Damn I'm childish. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
we know, we just didn't want to say it big grin

mechmoggy
I couldn't give a tiny rats ass. stick out tongue

yerssot
ratcat? hey! don't insult him!

keokiswahine
mech, since you don't give a tiny rat's ass, would you give a biggee rat's ass? roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin big grin laughing out loud laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

mechmoggy
Mmmmm, Biggus Posterious Ratus..... maybe Keo, maybe. big grin wink

keokiswahine
Biggus Posterious Ratus rules !!! laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing smokin' evil face

ToMacco
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. . .. .

Hey Keo, thanks again for the Star Wars trailer download!

mechmoggy
Keo, he's so damn cool he should get his own chat show. smokin' cool smokin' cool smokin' cool smokin' cool smokin'

Ushgarak
She, Mech.

ToMacco
That's okay, mech. I though queeq was a girl. Why he has a picture of a girl for his avatar doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps queeq is a cross dresser? big grin

keokiswahine
queeq has an awfully deep voice for a lady, perhaps another sultry Lauren Bacall? confused eek! roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue wink big grin evil face smokin' laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

ToMacco
laughing out loud laughing out loud

Hey keo, if he starts to talk to you about fashion, smack him for me!

keokiswahine
*gets out cane*

ok, ToMac stick out tongue

yerssot
You mean he ISN'T a girl?
Wow, go figure: Holland roll eyes (sarcastic)

keokiswahine
like Hollandaise sauce??? confused eek! cool wink big grin laughing out loud smokin' rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
eurgh! I don't want to know what they use to make that!

queeq
*Lurch's voice* You rang?

Anyway, I have Lara Croft as my avatar because I put in there what I like. Now I did notice a lot of guys tend to put pics of guys in there, so who's weird?

yerssot
*kicks queeq away*
I didn't rang!

queeq
Didn't RING, yerss, RING.

yerssot
whatever...
You just earned yourself a full hour of slapping on the ToMacco Slapping Machine...
*grabs queeq, puts his head in the right place*
shoot! your neck is too big!

queeq
Can't touch me, I'm Chaos. You better not mess with me. evil face

yerssot
you like to be chaos, I'm a god, learn to life with it!

queeq
Where's the vent?

yerssot
for crying out loud, get yourself glasses!

queeq
It's just that you have so much hair.

yerssot
shame you don't have any huh?

queeq
No shame, no pride, no ego. I am free!

yerssot
what keeps you alive then?

keokiswahine
Who's hairy? We have a Chewie relative here? confused confused confused roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Julie
hahaha big grin

queeq
It's yerss. Armpit hair all the way down to his knees.

keokiswahine
then he needs to have his armpits braided; won't drag the floor. laughing out loud

yerssot
queeq, are you jealous?

keokiswahine
he might be, if he's as bald as mace. confused roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

yerssot
Mace has more hair then queeq

Dim
THat's not true at all...

keokiswahine
Dimmy, how do you know? confused confused evil face evil face

Dim
Because I just know laughing out loud

keokiswahine
Were you peeking? confused eek! roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud

Dim
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...no! *looks innocent*

I'm to close this one..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.