Poor Greedo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
does anyone else think it was completely stupid for lucas to make greedo fire first in the ANH Special Edition?

Ushgarak
Just about EVERYONE, I think.

bigsef2
just wanted to make sure im not crazy

ToMacco
It looked stupid, anyway.

yerssot
the stupidest thing is HE MISSED!

mechmoggy
If you read the EU material about Greedo, you'll soon realise how much of a stupid ass he really was. I gotta admit I wasn't totally over the moon with the extra Solo/Jabba sequence. The treading on the tail seemed a little bit silly to me. Jabba is a powerful gangsta for christ's sake, thats like someone in the Godfather movies grabing Brando in a head lock and ruffling up his do. roll eyes (sarcastic)

bigsef2
they had no choice. in the original film, han was standing too close to the jabba stand-in when he walked around him. it was either have him step on jabbas tail or have him walk through jabba. personally, i think they should have left the whole scene out.

LaurenE147
Man, I don't even know Star Wars without that scene. I felt it was crucial to establish the relationship between Han and Jabba.

yerssot
but if it wasn't in the movie there was something mystical about Jabba...

bigsef2
i thought star wars was just fine without it

yerssot
like the deleted scene in Ep I

peluffo
Even when the novelization has this scene (but without the tail-nonsense) i've been watchin the OT without this scene for many years, until the special edition gets it in.
In those times, the relation works pretty well: Jabba was a little rumor in ANH, a dangerous threat in TESB (with ord-mantell commentary) and a great underworld lord in ROTJ.
But with the inserts of the SE, I feel the Myth of jabba descended many steps on the importance ladder!!

Yeah, yeah, it's a technological wonder, and has the first shot of boba fett, for us (but the mark in his left shoulder is not there...maybe him is not Boba Fett... maybe jodo kast?) who likes this character... but is a lie too, he was not in the original footage.

Whith it, the story gets more like the original idea of Lucas. Without it, the whole trilogy works fine.

yerssot
pel, what about EpI? He organise a whole podrace there!

Ushgarak
It does give Solo's character better continuity, though. GL DID write the story with Jabba being in the first one in mind. It's why it was one of the very first things he went back to.

yerssot
are you talking about Ep I or Ep IV?

Ushgarak
IV, sorry.

yerssot
yeah, he said that you know get the point why Han desperatly wants to pay his debt...

Gundark
Have not seen the OT DVD....so Greedo fired first ? And he misses (of course) at that close range ? This I gotta see...

Except we're not getting a DVD system until next spring.

yerssot
gundy, just see the Special Edition

King Jedi
The idea to have Greedo shoot first was Harrison Fords. He's always hated the idea that one of the first things he does is kill somebody. He wanted Greedo to shoot first to make it more like a gun fight rather than murder. But I still blame Lucas for agreeing to it.

Julie
At that range Greedo was a pretty sorry shot....but I don't blame Harrison Ford for not wanting to be first to shoot...it would seem kinda cruel.

Ushgarak
I think he was threatened enough to justify the shot!

And I am sure what we got wasn't QUITE what HF envisioned... I think he wanted a bone fide gunfight.

Julie
Like in the old Westerns????

That would have been cool but not very Star Wars...er...ish

yerssot
well, if stormtroopers can miss, why not in HS and Greedo's fight?

Gundark
We did get a little bit of a gunfight before the Falcon lifted out of Mos Eisley you know......

yerssot
and at the rate the stormtroopers and Han hit eachother roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Jedi
Did anyone have a problem with Han shooting Greedo? Did it make you think less of Han Solo? That's what I don't get. Greedo was going to kill him anyway so how can Lucas and Ford think it was wrong for Solo to kill him?

yerssot
I thought it was very good that he shot Greedo first, that gives you the pic that he isn't an easy-going guy, so his scene where he saves Luke was for that reason more loveable...

Ushgarak
I agree, KJ. Like I said, Greedo had gone WAY past the point where Han should have to wait for him to fire! That was a clear threat. Han looked cool in the original, now he looks silly.

Julie
What's "Now????"

yerssot
what do you mean?

Julie
Ush said Han looked cool in the original, but "now" he looks silly.....what's the original...does he mean in the original scenario or what?

yerssot
no no, with the original they mean the movie A New Hope from 1977 and NOT the A New Hope, Special Edition from 1997.

In the original movie, Greedo DIDN'T shoot at Han, Han just shot him to pieces

Julie
ohhh cool..... smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.