Arwen, what's the problem?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bar-en-Danwedh
why does everyone have such a problem with arwen? PJ didn't really "beaf up" her character the way everyone says he did...
I think the people complaining never read the apendix section of ROTK.
it's all there!

the only embelishment is when she first rides in in FOTR where she replace the even smaller roll of Glorfindel (who was even replaced by legolas in the animated version). asidfe from that it's all clean .

as for sticking her in the hobbit, oh well. she does live in rivendel so she would be there somewhere... as long as that's all you see of her, i guess. rolling on floor laughing

nazgulinthedark
i personally don't care that much about arwen, i have nothing against her, but i don's like her either.

RINGWRAITHS RULE!!

sentinelrv
Hey, while were on the subject of Arwen, I have a question about her. I don't understant in ROTK why they say she is dying, and why she is tied to the fate of the ring.

The Omega

BingaBonga
Hey we've talked about this a thousand times. Arwen, Eowyn, and Galadriel are the only female roles. Where could you put in Galadriel? Eowyn comes in in towers and return of the king, so why not get Arwen in a lot?

sentinelrv
Sorry for all my questions, but what do you mean by her choice? Do you mean her choice to stay in Middle-Earth? Why would her choice to stay have anything to do with why she is dying? Elrond and Galadriel have stayed in Middle-Earth just as long as Arwen has. Why do they not start to die? Well, these questions only pertain to if I was right about what you meant by her choice.

BingaBonga
She chose to stay on Middle Earth. She became connected to the Earth. It's very complicated. Someone that knows about what they're talking about will be able to explain it to you.

Kitoky
Every elf in Middle-Earth is connected to it and Valinor, and when the time of the elves is over, they have to make their leave of Middle-Earth and back to Valinor (for ex: Galadriel, she's the only Elf that came from Valinor now) Arwen made the choice to stay in Middle-Earth with Aragorn and so her connection with Valinor faded and her immortality waned.

When Sauron's power grew, it's like the Melkor's power grew and so Valinor couldn't save her, basically. There's more complex stuff that I'm not gonna even get to. So hope that helps.

Exa
Because she was some very unimportant character who had NOTHING to do with the wars in TT and RoTK... and because she stole Glorfindels role... well at least she speaks nice Sindarin smile

fini
uh SHE DIDN'T steal the role, the director and screenwriters CHOSE to put her there instead.

WEll if u read the book the realise the importance of arwen and they couldn't just drop her out of no where to marry Aragorn. People would have been like , where the hell did she come from.

her and aragorn story is a unique one, its the 3rd time of an eternal romance between an elven madien and a man. Lol and they put some romance in the story, my mom didn't like TTT besides the aragorn and arwen story ( she likes those silly things), so i guess it made for wider appeal.

Romance in an epic is important, its the purest human emotion if done right, eg.George Lucas and John Williams were dying to do the romance of Amidala and Anakin, they were tired of just doing war and battle.

Say what you will but besides the omissions from the movies ,I AM very very thankful that PJ put this masterpiece on screen and wouldn't have him do it any other way ( mainly)

Discos
But you know what does rule in LOTRs.....the eagles, I have 3 tattoos of eagles and after watching ROTK I just had to applaud them as they are awesome,....

so Mr "nazgulinthedark" stick that in your stocking this year
cool

BingaBonga
haha, exactly smile

Kitoky
Liv Tyler is a good actor for Arwen and well I was really mad when she took the role of Glorfindel because I've always liked Glorfindel, and fini, even if PJ and Crew did not put Arwen in that scene they could always have another introduction scene, like the scene in Rivendell.

BingaBonga
Yeah, she is a good Arwen.

Fire
I'm just wondering but is arwen at helms deep (I mean I've read my appendices but I seriously doubt it) true she was edited out but still, what was PJ thinking

nazgulinthedark
I AM A GIRL!!! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS PEOPLE!!! mad UGH!!! YOU ARE THE TENTH PERSON AND COUNTING WHO HAS MISTAKEN ME AS A GUY!!!!! I AM NOT A GUY!!! mad

the nazgul are better

sauron
was i 8th or something??

i apologise for that again...big grin

nazgulinthedark
no i think you were 7th, i forgot, oh well, doesn't matter

Cowboyography
i think i was the 9th Nasgulinthedark smile

When the Ring was detroyed All magic left middle earth, hence no magic to give the elves immortality. In Valnor there is still magic and they can still remain immortal, so thats why Arwen will eventually die!!

nazgulinthedark
GRRRRRR!!! SOME FREAK IN THE OFF TOPIC JUST MISTOKE ME TOO!!! UGH!!! THATS THE THIRD PERSON TODAY!!!! I SWEAR I NEED A NAME TAG OR SOMETHING!!!

Member.
Only hardcore LOTR freaks care if PJ beefed up Arwen's role in the movies.

Exa
No idea mad
Arwen has absolutely nothing to do with the Hornburg so Im glad PJ realized that too and cut her (nearly) out...

@Member
then I am a hardcore fan...

Kitoky
@Member also

Yeah, we're hard core fans, we read the books, and I miss my GLORFINDEL!!!! *sobs*

Exa
Me too *sobs even louder*
He was my absolute favourite elf
and PJ just cut him :cry:

And the worst thing is, people even think shes more "important" than Eowyn X(

Member.
Just a movie. PJ did a good job at trying to turn Tolkien's LOTR trilogy into movies.

BingaBonga
Well, maybe it's "just a movie" to you, but I think that it's a lot more than a movie to me...

undomiel
I agree

undomiel
I dont know why everyone is making such a big deal about Glorfindel being gone. Hes not that important of a character. I think it was good that Arwen was there instead of him because since he was such a small character he would have just been in that part and you wouldnt have seen him after that. When Arwen was there it developed her character much more and people actually knew who she was. Because not everyone watches the movie and then goes home and reads the appendix.

Kitoky
But 'tis MY GLORFINDEL!!! Arwen wasn't introduced until the.....14th chapter of the first book!! But Glorfindel was introduced in the......12th chapter and if it wasn't for Glrofindel, Frodo would've died because Glorfindel would've given that special water for him to drink!! mad mad And you wanna know what's good about Glorfindel1?!? He FOUGHT against a Balrog and defeated it!!!!!!!!

So don't lecture me about how being mad about getting Glorfindel cut out is childish, I have my reasons!! PJ could've atleast introduced Glorfy at Helm's Deep...*sniff* Rivendell was a free shot too!!!! FotR was the one out of the 3 movies that felt really choppy!

Verity
I think the whole Arwen thing was beautiful! Besides, it wasn't really PJ's work! Fran and Philippa are to blame for that! big grin U need to have the romantic element displayed in a movie, or else u don't give ppl what they wanna see, and that can be a killer to a movie!

undomiel
but in the movie Frodo didnt die because ARWEN saved him

Bar-en-Danwedh
everyone is soooo picky, i'm the biggest LOTR fan I know (maybe 2nd), but haldir dying in TTT concearned me little, cause TTT has a lack of emotional deaths and in the long run haldir just got a quicker trip to valianor.

the really funny thing is that one of the biggest changes is IMO the cave troll in Moria in FOTR. in the book he only sticks his foot in the door then sods off when it gets stabbed by frodo. but in the movie he gets in and run amock, and even the most hardcorest fans didn't say a thing (myself included)... i just find it funny

Kitoky
*twitches* ARWEN did not save him. All Arwen did was have alot of flashy light behind her and said some Elvish doodle while Aragorn placed the Athelas plant in Frodo's wound. In the book Glorfindel is one that tends to Frodo! So nyah!!!!!!!

Kitoky
I know! Haldir wasn't supposed to die! He was an awesome character and PJ just HAD to have Haldir and the other elves at Helm's Deep.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one to notice that too! The Cave Troll thing was sooooooo cool though when it came in and ran amuck. Though in the book having a big Cave Troll run off by the slightest needle poke by Sting wasn't exactly an ideal fight.

undomiel
Ok seriously think about it, if the movies were exactly like the books then the movies would be really long. The books are really great. When you are reading a book every single detail makes the book interesting, but when every single detail is in the movie it makes the movie long and sometimes boring. In the book Glorfindel was interesting because like I said they had every single detail but if they had all of that in the movie then they would have waisted a big portion of the movie on how Frodo got to Rivendell. When they had Arwen come instead of Glorfindel it made it shorter but still very interesting.

Kitoky
But they still could've did it with Glorfindel!!! It would've made it any longer and duuude! Arwen was NOT big character she's in only atleast I think about 30 pages worth in the books. 30 pages out of 1000.

undomiel
Does anybody really care about Glorfindel or are you just saying he is cool because you want to be different? Because I seriously dont see how he is that important. Yes he did come save Frodo but I dont see how that makes such a difference if Arwen does it instead.

kalantiaw
i haven't read the book sp i have no idea at this point what you guys are talking about... but anways, liv tyler did a wonderful job as arwen... and i don't think she had a lot of scenes anyway...

sauron
. Arwen, along with Elrond, goes to Lothlorien. She looks in Galadriel's mirror and sees a vision of Aragorn dying at the battle. She begs to be allowed to travel to Helm's Deep to protect him by Elrond forbids her. Galadriel agrees to send a force of Lorien Elves to the battle, led by Haldir. They arrive at the battle, Aragorn doesn't die but Haldir does.

The Lorien Elves basically take the role of the Dunadain rangers (who, you will remember from the book turn up just after Helm's Deep) from there on.

The Omega

sauron
see my last poist, she was at helms deep

plus..... arwen does not ride and fight as much as the next guy

i have seen her ride wice, once away from nazgul (aboiut 5 minutes) once casually trotting to the grey havens

she does not FIGHT she says if you want him come an claim him, while in the safety of rivendell (oohhhh buig scary elf woman)

shaber
I thought Tyler was better looking in ROTK smile

Laviera_j
Totally agreed on that one! She was so good, and the scene with her and Aragorn reuniting was brilliant!

Kitoky
Agreed

Laviera_j
And the scene with her son! I almost cried. He was so pretty.

Kitoky
Eldarion was beautiful, I can't believe they found a kid that looks so much like Liv and Viggo.

undomiel
I loved when they reunited. it was so cute!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.