Why is LOTR popular amongst ALL nerds?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dogbert
I am not a huge fan of the LOTR, matter of fact, i dun even really like it that much. n i'm not sayin it is for geeks, but it is PAINFULLY obvious in my school that the kids that play chess and have big backpacks are HUGE fans of the movie. ALL of them like it. there is a club for it i think. y do all the nerds like the movie?

P.S. i am NOT calling n e of u nerds

Aurora
They have taste!!!!

I am amazed at the kinds of friends I have made by the movies and the books. I have met ppl who I would have never have spoken to in school, not being conceided or anything, I just didn't think I had anything in common with them. These are the same ppl who have taught me so much, made me laugh, and thourohly entertained me.

I am a LOTR Geek! And proud of it! If there was a convention tomarrow near me I would gladdly go and do our secret hand shake! U know the one, don't ya. Okay maybe I am a little lost. This is the Star Trek web site isn't it?

Member.
LOTR trilogy is something that comes once in a lifetime. Strangers become friends waiting out in the cold for 24 hrs. Many LOTR may be really smart people with no sense of fashion, but many aren't.

badkittykitty
I love chess and lotr's but Ive never been called a nerd before...thanks happy

ilvorlandobloom
not ALL nerds like it.... the other day at school i was tryin to convince a nerd that LotR rocks, but i guess hes more into harry potter...

shadowy_blue
1.Because we need to express ourselves and discover our identities by comparing ourselves to fictional characters. We don't like to do so through real life people cuz real life changes real people all the time.

Fictional characters stay the same forever and we discover ourselves and our meaning in life through these characters. The characters in LOTR are very deep and complex characters whose inner qualities are expressed, and affected in the book constantly and we put ourselves in there positions and think "What would we do?"

2.Because in today's society standards, serious literature is considered a geek thing. The "not geeks" think they are too cool to learn anything through books (shows how much they know) and compare and model their lives through pop culture icons who are also imperfect humans who can be influenced to do stupid things.

Fictional characters are more prefered by us geeks because you feel as if you actually know them because you actually get to know them through the character's thoughts, actions, and emotions.

ilvorlandobloom
and i am glad to say i am not a nerd

shadowy_blue
To the geek question: Well, the word geek is so subjective. We are all geeks about something. Clothes, books, movies, super hero's, comics, shopping, sports, etc. Every single person on Earth has their moment of geekdom.

Bringing it back to LOTR...yes, I think most geeks like it. But all different kinds of geeks. Some geeks like it because they are intrigued by the magic (the "Magic the Gathering" geek). Some geeks watch it, intrigued by the fighting (yer "Matrix" geek). Some watch it, intrigued by the costumes and sets (good old fashioned "Movie Geeks"!). And some, like myself, like it for the excellent way it illustrates the perserverance of men under the most difficult of circumstances (the "History Geek"wink.

So yes, LOTR is popular among geeks, but then I suppose most things have a rather large "geek" following...seeing as how all of us in our own special way are gigantic geeks.

So being a geek should sound insulting for others but for me, I am more than happy to admit that I am an LOTR geek and I don't care. It makes me more proud of myself. smile

shadowy_blue
By the way, I just used the term "geek" because I think it's more appropriate in relation to LOTR fandom than the term "nerd". They're like the same but there are still some differences. smile

ilvorlandobloom
i am a LotR geek, i even took a lotr test and that was what it said cuz i got every single question right! but i will never say that im a nerd. a geek, but not a nerd.

Gotwa
I think if you have.. 'i love orlando bloom' as the basis for your name you're a nerd.. x.x.. but.. not all nerds like LotR, sorry.

shadowy_blue
Yeah, I think the topic title went too far as to say that ALL nerds like it. I don't think so. Just most of them perhaps. smile

Leon s.kenedy
LOTR is best film in the world... presious... evil face

ilvorlandobloom
whats so nerdy about Orlando Bloom, eh?

Gotwa
Nothing about him, just that you idolize him enough to make a name after him. And I was kidding.. until now. big grin

ilvorlandobloom
lol, i was kidding too...hey what do u mean 'until now'? lol
i dont idolize him, im just OBsessed. laughing out loud

AngelArwen
I am SO proud to be a geek. I think it's unnatural. But if I had to choose between being a geek who reads and is cultured, and being someone cool who dresses well, I would SO choose the geek. I think being cultured is underrated in our society. And I think that most people who like LOTR are considered geeks because they know so much about it, more so than any casual movie-goer would. As of yet, I don't know enough about LOTR to become a geek, but I would definitely like to progress to geekdom eventually. ^^

ilvorlandobloom
all i have to do to become a true LOTR geek is read the Silmarillion. big grin

BackFire
Nerds have good taste I guess, unless they're nerds who like the matrix films.

ilvorlandobloom
hey, whats wrong w/ the matrix?

BackFire
Everything.

Camellia
They just all know an excellent story when they see one!

I, for one, would find being called a nerd or a geek a compliment! I consider myself a geek, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest!

And good for them for having a club - I wish our school had sometihng like that!!!

Exa
thumb up Great post

@Dogbert: Hm, strange, you're right... If I think of all the Tolkien fans I know -.-

Will
Dogbert is kinda right here. yes..... shifty

fini
hey i was president of the chess club, and then one of the best bar hoppers in town, i club, and enjoy, ahem, other activities and AM OBSSESSED with LOTR.......

yeah i was called a nerd in school ( when i was in the maths olympiad) but i think i understand why "nerds" like this story so much......they have active, ALIVE, imagination

since they dont spend so much time in other silly popular stuff they can live in their heads. Say what u want bout nerds, geeks whatever they call them ( them being the people who dont understand us) but remember this- Dreams lead to creation.

soooooo we may not be popular but our futures are bright and our lives Have been enriched( even if some of us are bordering on insanity) by the GENIUS of Tolkien.

Aurora
Very well said, I agree totally.

manny321
in my area a lot of regular people like it, they like the movie because of how good it is

Cowboyography
If geek = well educated, book reader, then i guess im a geek
I play chess and poker, if im a geek because im smarter than you well then I have nothing to worry about, except that you are ignorant and possibly jealous!!

BingaBonga
well i guess that if that's what you call a geek, i am. I don't consider myself one though... confused

SilverFighter
Do you mean "nerd" as into Dungeon and Dragons??? or "nerd" as into LOTR??? wink

nazgulinthedark
i think i like reading all of the lotr spoofs and stuff that makes fun of it rather than obsessing over it. but the ringwraiths rule

BingaBonga
WE KNOW!!! stick out tongue

Aurora
LOL

Kitoky
Same goes for me.

Fire
anyone who uses the words geek or nerd to classifie a group of ppl still has much to learn

BurnetteBeauty1
hey, i am NO geek! and i love the movies!

BingaBonga
The definition of Nerd:

Nerd - A person regarded as socially dull, unsophisticated, awkward, etc., specif., as from being preoccupied with schoolwork, an intellectual hobby, etc.

See also fool, student

I think that we're all socially fine.

Fire
sorry but to be regarded as something does not mean they are actualy socially dull or anything

I had a lot of friends who ppl would call nerds, heck I got called nerd all the time in high school

think I give a damn???

ppl who think their idea of the truth is the truth, have a lot to learn and will prolly not get far in the real world

SilverFighter
I think that ever since the movie "Revenge of the nerds" some ppl have develop a stereotype concept of others that have high interest in learning.

Aurora
I don't classify groups as nerds, geeks, or anything else. I do on the other hand think that it is perfectly alright to label myself a LOTR Geek. Infact I would rather be classified as one. I enjoy not being stuck in the catigory of normal. I am a huge, i mean huge movie fanitic and I love all movies (well most) and I am proud to have knowledge that not everyone has.

sauron
how can ALL nerds like it. you dont, so theres at least ONE who doesnt

big grin stick out tongue big grin stick out tongue wink stick out tongue big grin stick out tongue big grin

Aurora
smile Harsh wink Merry Christmas by the way. smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

Dogbert
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Aurora
A reapperance??? You braved the violence? Impressed am I!

sauron
dogebert im only jokin withi you mate, big grin

Dogbert
o i didn't there was violence.....i didn't read the past pages

OrliNElijahsGrl
oooo i am a lotr freak and proud of it!!!

ALL HAIL TO THE KING ARAGORN!!
ALL HAIL TO THE PRINCE LEGOLAS!
ALL HAIL TO THE QUEEN ARWEN!!

lmao im so hyper today

BingaBonga
Not hailing to Queen Arwen... stick out tongue I really do have an insane grudge against Arwen....ahhhh, oh well, I just laugh at it now big grin laughing out loud laughing Woooo I think I'm hyper today too... eek!

Kitoky
This thread is still up??

BingaBonga
until it's closed... yes smile

Verity
If reading a book and liking movies is considered being a nerd, then perhaps I am one! Who cares! I don't! big grin

BingaBonga
Go Verity! thumb up
I don't care about what any people think of me when it comes to being a lotr fan. That's why I got a lotr shirt, and I love it. That's also why I've decided to read The Silmarillion. I'll probably have to read it about 10 more times to remember half the information I need to, but anyway, being a "Lotr Fanatic" is worth being called a "nerd" if that's what it takes. yes

Verity
rock happy

BingaBonga
reading Happy Dance http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/kicking.gif

The Omega

sauron
OMEGA IS RIGHT, the tree DIDNT look like it did on page 167

The Omega
pfrrrrr.... laughing
Damn, Sauron. You CRACK me up... rolling on floor laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.