uncle owen.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
who the *!@$ is he supposed to be?!! official cannon says he is obi-wans brother. in episode II he is supposed to be anakins brother-in law. what the heck is going on? that would make obi-wan and anakin family!

peluffo
Cannon ARE THE MOVIES, and in them, never was stated that OB1 were owen brother. This surges from ROTJ novelization.
SO, mr Lucas can change his mind.

Don't get mad at me, I grown believing that they WERE brothers, and get a little dissapointed when hears that OWEN IS Luke's uncle... From certain point of view... wink

bigsef2
My understanding is that the novelizations and screen plays for the movies are also cannon, since they are merely points which were edited from the movie for flow or some other reason.

Julie
Uncle Owen is Anakin's half brother...his mother marries Owen's father I think. JA books say that Obi-Wan also has a brother named Owen.

Dim
If it doesn't make it into the movies then it's not canon.. So, we honestly don't know who Owen is at that point (well, if we're playing like we don't know spoilers and know that Owen is Shmi's stepson)

yerssot
books like Del Rey who are based on the script/movie aren't good... because
1) they are BASED on the movie
2) they write about thoughts that the characters have, and they aren't certain about them...

bigsef2
well as far as im concerned, theres too many familial relations in the star wars saga as it is. its just too "coincidental." it IS a movie about the skywalkers after all. obiwan is a minor character in the grander scheme of things. no reason to have his brother be anyone of importance.

Julie
Are you saying that Shmi Skywalker is more important than Obi- Wan Kenobi? or Han Solo...or does Han get by b/c he married a Skywalker?

bigsef2
no, shmi is more important because she is a skywalker. more screen time doesnt translate into more important. i measure importance based on the theme of the movies.

Julie
Ok....I agree to a certain degree, but why doesn't she have more screen time if she's so important. Why don't we know more about her?

yerssot
she is killed by sandpeople, that was important for Anakin turning

Ushgarak
He's not Obi-Wan's brother. That's the end of it. Why would Obi-Wan have a brother on Tatooine anyway?

Canon is a thorny issue, of course, but the semi-canonical status of the novelisations, screenplays and radio dramas are easily swept aside by the films and the winds of change for Owen's relationship ro Obi-Wan (or lack of) have been blowing for some time now.

finti
Just for the sake of argument, why not?

yerssot
otherwhise he would know everything about Tatooine already, and that was not the case, judging from TPM

Ushgarak
Yes, I meant from the perspective we now have from seeing the first of the new movies. Before you could have made a credible case of Obi-Wan coming from Tatooine, but not now.

Julie
Tatooine is small, out- of -the -way, poor...not even the Trade federation bothered with it. Besides, Anakin has kin there. Why not go to Tatooine?

Ushgarak
Sorry, Julie, who are you replying to there? My comment has nothing to do with Obi-Wan going TO Tatooine, but coming FROM there in the first place. Which people used to think he did as his brother was there, but now they do not think that because that brother thing has lost credibility, and it is in fact Anakin who was from there. Which no-one knew before.

Julie
ahh i see... misread the datascript.

I agree, there's no reason Obi wan would have to be from Tatooine. Even if he had a brother named Owen it doesn't mean he'd have to be the Uncle Owen. It's a large galaxy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.