Do you like the NJO series?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
Do you like the NJO series?

SBS had some pretty controversial content, but I still love the series. Vector Prime was good, but the more recent books are better.

JediOasis
I loved the series up until SBS. I won't ruin it for anybody but what happened in that book as incredibly stupid and makes no sense. The best of the series was the Dark Tide books written by Stackpole.

LanceWindu
I love the NJO series. I still haven't read them all cause none of the libraries I go to carry all of them. My main library is getting SBS in a couple days so I will be able to read it then.

Julie
Why don't you buy them. I'm adding them to my book collection.
The NJO series is still great despite SBS's craziness. Dark Journey and the other coming books sound very promising.

LanceWindu
Well, I don't have any money as of yet. I have two of the books right now. Conquest and Rebirth.

Julie
Good choices. Those are two of the best in the NJO series. Though I like the entire series, Conquest and Rebirth were espescially good. SBS may be my currrent favorite.

Have you read them, and if you have, what are your thoughts on them?

LanceWindu
Have I read them? Yeah, they are great. I especially like how Anakin is the main character in these books.

Julie
Yeah, it was nice to see a lot of Anakin, but I also like his syblings. Jacen has been interesting, but his moral dilammas are stunting his growth in the force. Anakin's a bit reckless...he could use a small porion of Jacen's caution. Jaina's been out for the last couple of books with her injury. I was glad to see that these 3 and their friends had large roles in SBS.

MasterSkywalker
wel it seems quite all right i guess and with itkilling off alot of people makes it seem like there would be no need for episodes 7 ,8 and 9if you think tha u are worng.
7,8 and 9 will be 19 years after NJO and 35 years after ROTJ. it would open up with Ben Skywalker and his father going to burry the body of Han Solo who just died and it would show who ever surrived NJO series and also it would show a Dark Jedi named Azreal who has been thought in the ways of Teh Dark side by the sprit of Darth Sidious/ Palpatine who needs a scaface for him to live again so Darth Azreal kidnaps Mara and and she is traded places with Palpatine and he lives again he finds Luke and kills him and Liea as well with his force lighting. and so forth.

yerssot
you mean Han died?

Ushgarak
As we all know, future episodes (in the unlilely event that there are any) would have nothing to do with the books, in any way.

LanceWindu
That all sounds way to poposterous.

Ushgarak
Indeed. In fact, the extent to which any future episodes (which still haven't become any more likely in the last few minutes) will screw up stuff like the post ROTJ books would be so great as to cause a furore that will make Boba Fett continuity issues look as troubling as whether the thrid trooper along in the ROTJ hangar had a loose helmet...

And when post-ROTJ EU fiction only consisted of cloned Empeors/Lukes and bigger and bigger superweapons, that was fine by me. But now there is a lot of good quality stuff- like NJO- and it would be a shame to trample it all. And there would seem to be little point in filimg 7, 8 and 9, so I think things are happy as they are...

Julie
I like the books as books and the movies as movies......Star Wars is great in both instances, but combinine the two is unlikely as Ush said.

LanceWindu
Although compining the EU and movies together might sound like a good idea it would just ruin everything.

Julie
Agreed.

Ratcat
You mean like the Jedi Padawan, Aayla Secura, being in Episode-II. Or the Outrider being added to A New Hope? Or Aurra Sing appearing in Episode-I? Ok, last one is a bit of a chicken and egg thing.

My point is not that you are wrong in any way Ush, in the main you are correct, but GL will sometimes pick up on an EU element and use it in the movies. The precident has been set now.

yerssot
indeed, and now the latest news is that a new Jedi is inserted in the final battle after GL saw a pic of a Twilek Jedi

Julie
reeeeaaaalllly????

JediOasis
You forgot about Coruscant too. That came from the EU as well.

LanceWindu
Point to JediOasis

Master Kadub
Yerssot,
Hi I'm new here.....but I thought this to be curious for I have not heard it before....
GL placing another Jedi in the final battle scene?

yerssot
well, I see that you are new here so:
Welcome aboard smile

Well, I read it somewhere, I'm not sure anymore where it was, but the guy that made the art for the book said that GL was moved by it and that he decided to insert a Twilek Jedi (like the one on the cover) in the final battle, but NOT as a main character, just as a background figure...

Julie
coruscant was EU?????? eek!

yerssot
you didn't know that?
well, I think the capital was first named Jhator, instead of Coruscant...

LanceWindu
Which book do you first hear about Coruscant?

yerssot
just Coruscant or before it came in the movies?

Master Kadub
I think Julie is right about that one.....when the original tril came out, we never heard much about SW except for what was in books and comics....GL just had a bunch of ideas on paper.

Master Kadub
SbS and Vector Prime are surely the best of the bunch....
I like the other NJO books, but those two stand out with the material and ideas.....

LanceWindu
Before it was in the movies. And the oldest book(not oldest as in how many years in SW time, but actually the oldest published book the has it in it.) to actually have Coruscant.

LanceWindu
I agree Kadub.

JediOasis
The first time we ever heard of Coruscant was in Heir to the Empire. Lucas may have had an idea for a city wide planet, but Zahn was the first to describe it and give it a name.

JediOasis
I hope that we see Kyp and Luke using their lightsabers more. Being a pilot is all well and good but these are the two best Jedi out there and they need to use some close combat fighting.

LanceWindu
I wonder if Zahn copyrighted Coruscant and had Lucas pay to use it in the movies.

yerssot
no, GL created SW, without that there is no "Heir"
Indeed, Coruscant is mentioned there, the same way as it's shown in TPM

UnknownBountyHunter
Which NJO novel has Han dying? I thought I've read all of them...

I was upset when Chewbacca died in Vector Prime.

UnknownBountyHunter
I'll be the outsider and say my two favorites are Balance Point and Agent of Chaos.

finti
I dont think so, if it is Zahns invention I guess he let Lucas use it after all he is writing about a lot of persons Lucas created. And how dumb would it look if Lucas deceided to use another name for Coruscant if Zahn insisted on being paid for the name. I think it is Lucas name but Zahn was allowed to use it

yerssot
He dies?

LanceWindu
I have not yet been ablee to read either of the Agents of Choas books. Are they good?

LanceWindu
Ummm, no Han hasn't died yet Unknown.

Master Kadub
Yerssot,
This is also the first I've ever heard of Han dying?

Master Kadub
Lance Windu,
Thank you for the comment earlier.....
As far as 'Agents of Choas' I believe that you will like them both...they are very good reads and keep you on the edge...

LanceWindu
I know what the hell was this about Han dying? Where did you hear that Unknownbountyhunter?

LanceWindu
Great, I can't wait til I can find these two books. I love the NJO

Master Kadub
Lancewindu,

If you like what you've read so far, then you will love the series....

*stay away from the spoiler info on the books*
-its best if you find out about the storylines yourself....

Master Kadub
I don't think he's going to tell us LanceWindu.....

JediOasis
Han is not dead, he was very much alive at the end of Star by Star and is promised to be in later books. UBH must have ment Chewie or something.

Ushgarak
In answer to what RC said earlier- yes, I think we agree.

Little references to the EU are not uncommon. But basing storylines on it? Good Lord no!

And I don't think UBH thought Han was dead. I think he thought someone else said it. He was asking which book it happened in, having read all of them.

He seperately mentioned Chewie in his spoiler.

LanceWindu
I've already read the series. It's just those two books I haven't read

yerssot
well, it's not a spoiler anymore now, huh?

Master Kadub
laughing out loudsomebody spilled the beans...

LanceWindu
Oops... WAY TO GO USH!

finti
what are you three getting at confused confused wink big grin

yerssot
well, if you change it, like now, there is no problem

LanceWindu
Hey, he changed it!

Julie
I have mixed feelings on SBS. I thought it was a great book and I loved the fact that it was long, but the end was a bit disconcerting. I really want to read Dark Journey!.....I hope the rest of the series keeps up the excitement.!!!

The Agents of Chaos books were ok....I really didn't like one of the endings!! It made me mad smile . Conquest was a good book to learn about Anakin Solo and I thought it was interesting, but if I had to choose a fav so far I'd pick SBS

Master Kadub
Julie,

SbS ends that way so that you will want to read the next book....
Keeps your appetite up for the next book you know...

I didn't like the way it ended either, until I thought about whether I would have as much interest in the next book if it had ended another way.....

Good job by the author....

Julie
So are you going to read Dark Journey????? and the next book after that....even if you are disappointed in DJ???

Ushgarak
I'm removing those spoiler tags that someone put in my post. I did not put them, there, I did not want them there. The poster above me had just MENTIONED Chewie! So they are not at all appropriate.

In any case, spoilering Chewie's death is like spoilering Vader being Luke's father. Spoilers should only apply to material as yet unreleased.

Julie
That's true. It happened so long ago I'm not sure there is anyone else to spoil.

Master Kadub
Yes, of course I will....I am a fan you know.... wink

LanceWindu
I am going to read everysingle book for SW, no matter if they are supposedly stupid or don't make sense.

Julie
I'm so glad to hear that smile

NJO is getting very crazy....but that makes it exciting. I'm with
Lance on the matter of reading every SW book I can get my hands on smile wink

LanceWindu
I know, the NJO is getting weird, but this is the Star Wars universe we are talking about. Weirder things have happened.

Julie
True.

Usually, things work out well.....let's hope it stays that way. smile

LanceWindu
Yeah, that would be great.

Julie
The force will be with them wink

BTW, if you haven't read Dark Journey....do so it's pretty good smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.