the reason of life...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
what is the reason of life?
for me
a) there is none and the question is just made up by some guy who hadn't got a life
b) suffering followed by death
more likely this is the one

Texas
SEX SEX SEX SEX

yerssot
and now a good reason please!

finti
and sex is not a good reason?????

queeq
How would yersott know? laughing out loud

yerssot
1) this was supposed to be a serious thread
2) my name is yerssot, NOT yersott
3) this "joke" is at this time highly unappropriated!

Texas
1)Your over reacting
2)The joke was finny
3)Is the # of blind mice
4)Responding with numbered and alphabetical statements yers, is really nerdish
rolling on floor laughing

finti
There is no meaning of life (besides Monthy Python).
You are born , live then you die end of story. It is just cycles of life
IMHO

queeq
"Life's a piece of shit,
when you look at it." - Monty Python

Ratcat
The everlasting answer of the consumate virgin... laughing out loud

finti
laughing out loud

barbie_girl
the meaning of life is 42!!!!!!!! laughing out loud
nah the meaning of life is to live it. y would we be given life if it wasnt worth living. this involnes sex drugs and alcohol isnt that right lara smokin'

Lara
Yers this question lerks at the back of every individuals mind.
the question is unanswerable you have to that out for yourself.
some people cant find a reason for living so they (sometimes become clinically depressed and commit suicide) they turn to religion or they find a meaning.
BTW: this reply IS NOT a J/K
I've resently covered this topic in RE at school.

Oh and no comment to BG's reply. I'm not at liberty to answer that question.

barbie_girl
dont lie lara u just said to me that it was so wot r u chattin about. the reason for life is in the eye of the holder

Lara
Now I agree w/ that statment! its alot more sensible that your last post.
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. smile

barbie_girl
u r a liar

Gundark
BG is a girl of few words....

The meaning of life is

1. Be with people who make you happy.
2. Visit places you find interesting.
3. Eat and drink what you enjoy.
4. Do all of the above and don't worry about what other people say or think about it.

Lara
AMEN SISTA!

yerssot
1) I WAS talking about queeq
2) it WASN'T overreacting (because it has something to do you ALL don't know about! and keep it that way!
3) is using numbers really nerdish?
4) so life is what you make of it? but what about people that doesn't got equal chances? why are there no equal chances?

mah
that's an important question yerss, not everyone can do what they want, go where they want, say what they want, eat what they want. but, it's hard to find an answer .

Gundark
Well I guess that applies only 32% of the time.

ToMacco
Tex, I laughed at the "3 blind mice thing" laughing out loud

There is no meaning to life, really. I beleive that everyday when you go to bed, you should feel like you've accomplished something. Do you feel good about yourself right now? If you fell asleep, and never woke up, would you have regrets?

"Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans" -John Melloncamp

finti
John Mellencamp rules

ToMacco
Damn right.

finti
"There's a black man with a black cat livin' in a black neighborhood
He's got an interstate runnin' through his front yard
You know he thinks that he's got it so good
And there's a woman in the kitchen cleanin' up the evenin' slop
And he looks at her and says, "Hey darlin', I can remember when
you could stop a clock.

Oh but ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America somethin' to see baby
Ain't that America home of the free
Little pink houses for you and me" - John Mellencamp
rolling on floor laughing

ToMacco
WHEN I FIGHT AT AUTHORITY AUTHORITY ALWAYS WINS!!!!!!!

I like that one better. But Little Pink Houses is damn good, too! smile

finti
Im not to hot on that song, it reminds me to much of "I fought the law, and the law won"

ToMacco
It's the truth, though.

finti
not when I fight the authority evil face evil face

ToMacco
You always lose to authority.

finti
you wanna bet.

yerssot
there it goes again roll eyes (sarcastic)

I've read that if you take as scale 6m/1 (I mean the 6 biljon, or how you call it, people on earth and you keep the scale and you transmit it too 100 people, what an explanation sad ) there are:

1 person who has a computer
1 person who had a higher education
(33 who are christian)

so, how can you get a reason for your life if you don't have equal chances?

Ushgarak
Why the heck SHOULD there be equal chances? What sort of artificial lifeless world would THAT be?

Make of life what you can. That's all you can ask of anyone.

ToMacco
This thread is too deep for me. I'm leaving. sad

Lara
whats wrong To, out of your depth in here or something?

mah
that's a dumb thing to say, equal chances does not make equal human beings. are you saying that it should be people who is born into poordom, and that there should be areas where people has to eat from the junkyard, and areas where 40% of the people get HIV infected?

finti
That is just the facts of life Mah, its the way to balance things out.
Shoud it be this way?, probably not, but what can one do?
We are just not born into equality, so I say it is the way and it should be so also. Harsh but at least honest

mah
what I was reacting to was that ush said it would be stupid to have equal chances.

finti, first you say: should it be this way? probably not.
then you say : so I say it is the way, and it should be so also.

yerssot
How can your reason of life be made when you don't have equal chances? People who want to be olypic champion but have HIV and dies before he was champion, that's not fair

Lara
ok I'm gonna leave this thread now before people start having steam coming out of their ears.

yerssot
that's just the teapot that stands behind me...

finti
mah it is personal meaning and a more humane view on it.
Personally I think it is fine the way it is today. Public oppinion is not like mine. I agree my reply got a bit unclear though.

Ushgarak
I didn't say it would be stupid to have equal chances. I said that why SHOULD there be? Why the heck should ANYONE expect life to be fair? How exactly do you think it works, Mah? Finti is right. It's the way it is.

It doesn't mean that life has no meaning. As I say, make of it what you can. If you think that just because life is unfair it has no meaning or reason then you have a seriously warped view of things. I've seen people find triumph in the direst of circumstances. And it's not just those born into poverty. The richest man in the world can find as great a depression ad desperation as anyone- of course, it's far less likely, but it's still possible.

Personally I have far more respect for those who make what they can out of what they are given than those who think it is all pointless because it is unfair.

yerssot
ok, everyone can be happy, not depending on the money they have; but you have to realize that life IS unfair and that those people have right to complain, and it doesn't give them less repect!

mah
ush: you said:" Why the heck SHOULD there be equal chances? What sort of artificial lifeless world would THAT be? "

this is BS. this is what I reacted to. I'm perfectly aware that it's not equal chances on earth, and that there probably will never be. nevertheless, there SHOULD be. it would not be an artificial lifeless world, it would be a world where people COULD make the most out of life.

yerssot
You must all be very aware that you are from the rich part of this planet

finti
So?

yerssot
I see your brains are now totally lost... ask mah to buy some new ones...

Ushgarak
That's an unfair response, yerss. Finti saying 'so?' is very valid. That we are from first-world countries has nothing to do with it at all.

Mah, I am afraid it is YOU who are talking BS. A world with equal chances? What sort of crap is that? The only way you could create equal chances is to make a world with NO chances at all. Indeterminacy and luck are not only parts of life that we will never be without, they are also VITAL. A world with truly equal chances would be SO forced and artificial as to cause stagnation. I mean, how exactly do you think it would work? I guess you want to genetically change everyone so they all have the same talents, huh? Because the talents you are born with sure as heck are unfair on others.

Perhaps you plan on setting WHEN people are born, so a great trombonist who would normally have been born 4000 years before that instrument is invented is in fact born at the right time?

It's far more than saying that these things are impossible. These things are UNDESIRABLE. People are different. That's something to celebrate, not condemn. But you can only give people equal chances by removing ALL differences, and making sure that EVERYONE is bought up in EXACTLY the same way.

As far as I am concerned, this would be a nightmare world bereft of individuality and imagination.

Ok, we can work on overcoming some of the more obvious problems of the world, but truly wishing for a world of total equality is a poor goal.

Meanwhile, the world is unfair. But I repeat- that does not make life any less valid. People should not be criticised for being born with advantages. In the end, ALL you can do is try and make the best out of what you have been given.

yerssot
ah! so there are unfair responses but not equal chances are not unfair?

I don't know what you are talking about Ush, but I don't think mah said anything about everyone with the same talents... those talents make you special, everyone is special, but what I'm talking about (and I think mah agrees) is that people who doesn't have enough money are treatend unfair, and because they have those disadvantages they cannot persue there reason of life (and what the hell is that now?)

I'll say it again, we are not talking about controlling everyones life so you can have the same talents or deceide when someone is born, we are talking about equal chances in this time!

mah
ush:
I think you misunderstand what I mean. for me, equal chances means that everyone should have possibilitiesto get food, education, and so on. I would NEVER under any circumstances support genetically modifying anyone to get these or those abilities. I DON'T want equal people, modified people or anything of what you listed in your post. and yes, it is as good as impossible, but desirable? yes.

remember, what I mean by equal chances are that everyone should have food, education, a place to live, NOT that everyone should have identical lives.

Ushgarak
But you cannot have truly equal chances as another person, yerss, unless you are EXACTLY the same as him. The faster runner will always be the better athelete, the quick-minded the better mathematician, the the more patient a better clock-maker.

This may seem to be taking your argument to an extreme, but it is actually a valid point. These 'equal' chances you talk about, this would also involve having to make everywhere in the world the same as well. The principle of everyone actually having exactly the same chances as each other is in fact a horrible one.

As I say, what we CAN do is try and remove some of the more obvious inequalities from the world. But I doubt that anyone is in disagreement on that.

Meanwhile, you seem to be thinking that there is no point to life unless it is totally fair. I maintain that this is nonsense.

BTW, your first line makes no sense at all. Not only is it pure sophistry, I didn't say that the inequal chances were not unfair, so it was plain wrong as well. I just said that you have to deal with the unfairness.

mah
maybe you're misunderstanding again. equal chances doesn't mean the EXACT same house, the EXACT same food, the EXACT same type of education, it just means that everyone should have SOME KIND OF house, SOME KIND OF food to eat, SOME KIND OF education.

yerssot
I knew you were going to take it literally! Equal chances do NOT mean that you are all blond/brown or whatever. It means you have the same chances to get as much food, money... as anyone else...
In this world, this is definatly NOT the case and therefor some people are treatend unfairly. So don't talk about mathematics and stuff, it has nothing to do with chances, that's more IQ (I think).

And equal chances DOESN'T make every the same, everyone is different, has his own unique possibilities, hobbies etc. By this no house will be the same, making no street the same etc.

And Ush, that's not my point in life, the only thing I can make up of life is that you only are here to suffer. But what concerns me is that some (a lot actually) don't have the same chances as we have, and for them it can be unfair because they may never get to their point in life...

btw: sophistry? don't know what that is... but guess you are right... I think...

Ushgarak
Well, I agree, Mah, that there are very disadvantaged people in this world that should be given the basic facilities that we take for granted. Again, I don't think there is anyone who disagrees with that.

Really, though, I am trying to concentrate on yerssot's basic question. In the end, we could remove ALL disaease, war, and famine from tjhe world, make every country a first-world civilisation with the same laws and traditions, and the world would STILL be drastically unfair. The very difference between people- that is so vital- makes it so.

So even any reasonable description of a 'perfect' world would still be very unfair. So what is it that yerssot wants? A better world? We all want that. A fairer world? There is a fair amount oif effort going in that direction already. It's a crappy world in some places. I still don;t see why that means there is no point to life.

Like I say. The world is unfair, and that's a bit harsh. But we can deal with it. And make the most of what you have.

Ushgarak
And to answer yerss' further points...

I wasn't taking you literally, yerss. I was showing you the absurdity of your point. And 'mathematics and stuff' ios very pertinent to that point. Some people are born better at that than others. This is unfair, surely?

And you think we are only here to suffer? What, everything you have ever done has been unpleasant, has it? When I look at all the happy and conetent people in the world who did what they could despite what life threw at threm, that statement seems pretty week.

Sophistry, yerss, is the art of trying to destroy someone' argument, not with facts and reasoned statements, but simply by trying to sound better. You used a completely illogical point to try and defeat my statement; that's sophistry.

mah
it seems that we all really agree, what me and, I think yerss ,means are that those people who have almost nothing should get the basics.

Ushgarak
Indeed, and I think that is something that everyone can agree on.

But he seems to be using this 'unfairness' as a basis for saying that the only point of life is suffering. I am pointing out that this unfairness is a basic part of life- as I just described we could improve this world all we want and life would still be unfair; to actually eliminate ALL the unfairness would be disastrous.

I don't really think that the core of yerssot's point is that some places are better to live than others. I don't see how his life would be improved if they did. He'd still have to deal with the unfairness of life. This was really my point.

yerssot
That they are born "better" is not a biggie, it's about the chances they've got. Hey, for all I know, you are a new Einstein and I'm just the stupid Dutchman wink but that doesn't concern me, we still got the same chances (ok, you get more likely the job as engineer, but face it, when you can't do something well, you aren't that interrested in it, so that's not a real problem)

Yes, I think we are here to suffer, we are born in pain, we life by pain, we die by pain... What happend in everyones life is pain and the only time you don't have pain are just the few days (tops) that are good, then it'll start all over again.
If you look at the people in the world, ofcourse everyone is happy, they don't want to be remembered of their pain! Give someone from India money and he will get his experiences with content to a new hight (and looking at their current situation, a better one) The statement is not "pretty week" it's a personal opinion, wich I see made true every day.

Ah! thanx Ush, cool, I am now officially an artist...
and when did I do that? can't remember that one

Ushgarak
Well, if you ask me someone being born an amazing scientist has a hugely unfair advantage compared to the guy next door who is born with no talent at all. Just as unfair as if the sceintist was born somewhere where he has no chances to make use of bis talents.

In both cases, the person being born couldn't help it, and in both cases they will never achieve in life.

I submit that the talent you are given is just as much a case of 'fairness' as where you are born. Talent gives you chances, yerss, no two ways about it.

So, yerss, you seem convinced that all we do is pain. I am not sure what you base that upon. I think it is a bit presumptuous of you to say that all these happy people are just deluding themselves; in fact, I rathger thionk that is insulting them. Did it ever occur to you that these people are actually happy with good reason? Because they have gotten somewhere DESPITE how unfair life is? And I don't care if that statement of yours is an opinion. It IS a very weak one. I will not give serious credibility to anyone who says that all life is pain, and who can only back that by saying that all happy people are just lying to themselves.

mah
I'm not in pain, I like life even if it's damn boring to go to school, being with friends, relaxing in front of the tv, going on holiday trips, all those small things make me happy.

but ush, if yerss wants to think that life is a pain, let him. but, yerss aren't there lots of happy things in your life: being with friends, making games, lara?

Ushgarak
I'm happy to let him, though he seems happy to keep debating the point. I'm just not entirely sure what his point is, and I am absolutely certain that he won't be any happier if the world was a better place.

yerssot
well, being more intelligent is a vague line between chances and talents (and for me it's definitly a talent)

Indeed if you have talent you get chances, but what about the ones that has talent, but don't get chances???

I don't insult anyone, because I clearly said that it was my own opinion. And ok, not all life is pain, but if you look clearly at it, pain is the center of it all. Everyday (how big or small it is) you have pain (physical or mentally) ok, perhaps you are lucky and you have one day that goes well...
Look at the people in India (because this way, I don't insult people from other countries that are here) they are happy for their standards, but if you give them equal chances they'll get more happier and their point of life will chances to something better.

Hey, what you find credible isn't my case. Everyone has his own opinion. If you count every happy thing in your life and everything of pain you had, you will see that pain has a lot more

Ushgarak
Well, as you know, yerss, I've had a fair amount of pain in my life. And all I can say is that the happy times outweigh that. Massively. Or I wouldn't still be here. You think I'm lying to myself?

I think I rather covered the point about a person with talent not getting the chances. I said it was the same as not having any talent.

And you DO insult people with that statement. What, you think just because it is a personal opinion it can't be insulting? What nonsense! Nearly ALL insults are personal opinions! Facts can barely be insulting at all. Opinions are different. And I maintain that sayiong that all happy people are lying to themselves is an insult to truly happy people.

yerssot
You aren't lying to yourself, and rest assure how young I am, I know what pain is! So don't start with that! (if you want to talk about your desease, otherwhise ignore it)
You have to admit, that you felt pain, and you were irritated from time to time, and you are ignoring the pain you had, because you don't want to be remembered of it.

And still, the one who has talent doesn't get always the chances they desearve.

Well, then I'm insulting, heck, don't care man! I said that it was my personnal opinion and I ment no harm with it

Ushgarak
I'm not saying you didn't know what pain was. I'm just saying I've had a whole lot of it, and it's not buried. It's just outweighed.

yerssot
is it? from what I know you have it for years, how can that outweigh it? we are now not even talking about the other things here

Ushgarak
It's not just a matter of time, is it? It's a matter of how much these things affect your life. No matter how bad things got, the happy times always had more of an impact than the bad ones.

mah
agree

yerssot
because you want to remember them, you don't want to remember your life as one pain after another...

Ushgarak
Believe me, yerss, the painful times in my life are NEVER far. If my happy times are more dominant in mt mind it is because they deserve to be, not because I am just forgetting the bad ones.

yerssot
ofcourse the good things desearve to be there, but if you look at it, why aren't the painfull things there? because you want to forget them

Ushgarak
They ARE there! I am happy in SPITE of them!

yerssot
you had more suffering then joy, they are all in your head, the good ones dominate because you want to feel happy
(well, that's what a German philosopher said any way)

Ushgarak
Philosophers say a lot of things.

Well, all I can tell you is that I am pretty sure I know my own mind. You can think I am deluding myself if you want.

yerssot
the basic point of philosophy is that everyone is correct, and that we need to listen to them and built our own theory about it...

The big problem is, you can't get into other people their minds , so I'm afraid that we will never know the answer...

yerssot
"Life is a leason, you'll learn it when you're through..."
Limp Bizkit, Take a look around

barbie_girl
the meaning of life is 42

Lara
BG explain! 42 ?????????

barbie_girl
my blood told meits in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy!

Lara
your blood! eek!

Ushgarak
42 isn't actually the meaning of life. It is the answer to the Ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything. But no-one was sure what the actual wording of the question was meant to be.

yerss- 'the basic point of philosophy is that everyone is correct...'

No it isn't!

mah
yerss:
doesn't matter what you might actually be, if you feel happy then you are.

yerssot
you ripped it out of context there...
you have to built on the theories that the other said... heck,ask FM now he's here, we saw it in philosophy...

queeq
The basic point of philosophy is that nobody knows anything (for sure) and that we have to ask (ourselves) a lot of questions about life.

yerssot
yes, that's phil... but are we talking about that now?

Ushgarak
Well, it's just that was an odd comment you made.

yerssot
lol, that's what we see in these lessons...

queeq
Very odd indeed.

yerssot
like life

queeq
And who's "we"?

yerssot
we= 5 MensWetenschappen
(= my class in school)

queeq
Oh no, softies... big grin

Lara
well this is a disappointment! *sigh*
school is full of useless CRAP!!!!

yerssot
implying something quiiq?
I had to take this class, they tricked me...

and yes, school is crap!
stupid thing!

but why look at it philo...?
just an own opinion is also good, I think

queeq
Did I hear a lama fart?

yerssot
nope, it's just you talking...

queeq
I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

yerssot
you will not get this offtopic!

the reason of life is for everyone different, it depends on how you look at it...

(suffering!)

queeq
There it is again!! Maybe you should stop talking yers.

yerssot
is that the reason of life? not talking??

why queeq (yes, queeq, not quiiq)

everyone is saying that the reason of life is to make the best out of it, I think that these people COULD (and I use could, because otherwhise I would offend them) think more about it... I mean, if it's that simple, why are a lot of people thinking about it?

queeq
Because nobody knows the answer.

Ask yourself: where do I come from? Where am I going? Why am I here?
If you have those answers, this thread is done. But I think that may take a while.

yerssot
where do I come from? that's known
why am I here is the same as your point in life...
and as far as I heared, there are only 2 "theories" said here...

queeq
Try Socrates, Aristotle, Kant, Schopenhauer and a bunch of other guys and you'll get many many more.

yerssot
Aristotle, did he said anything about that? he did said something about the reality though...

queeq
Oh yes, he said things about that. Questions on reality and meaning of life are intertwined of course.

yerssot
actually I was refering to his "cave"
and yes, they are intertwined... but still the same problem...
so ... what's YOUR opinion about life queeq?

queeq
Opinion about life? Basically that it kinda sucks.

yerssot
because...?
djee! do I have to drag everything out of you?

queeq
Well, it's not really great is it. It's a struggle, also an exciting struggle, but still a struggle. Not really a place I'd go for a vacation, if I had the choice.

yerssot
so do you think life is suffering?

queeq
Part of it, yes.

yerssot
hmmm 50/50 not good enough...

you know what...? I think I'm a boedhist...

queeq
You think???? Not very convincing.

yerssot
I'm not thinking that there are extra lifes after this but still you have to overcome the bad things, the suffering...

Gundark
Well look at this way yerssot...no matter how bad it sucks out there, you still have us in here !!!!!! rolling on floor laughing

queeq
I wonder if that makes it any better. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Pfft. If you think I haven;t put any thought into this, yerss, then you are WAY wrong. In fact, I would say it was pretentious of you to suggest that our thought in this area was 'insufficient', presumably as compared to your mighty learning in this area.

queeq
Oops... you've done it now, yerss.

yerssot
thanx Gundy,

and Ush, I'm rather sure I've put somewhere that it was my opinion and that I had no reason to insult ANYONE in ANYWAY!
Really!

Lara
yers! are you pissing some one off?

barbie_girl
wots new therepmsl!

Lara
nothing really hes always pissing some one off.

barbie_girl
leave me alone

yerssot
hey! didn't do that yet (I hope)

queeq
That looks PRETTY off topic to me, AND it's over 100. CLOSING!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.