Palpatine's reason for picking Anakin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediOasis
We all basically know why Palpatine picks Anakin as his apprentice. The fact that Anakin is the most powerful based on potential and that he has a lot of reasons to dislike the Jedi. But maybe there is more to it than that. At the end of TPM novelization(I know its not cannon, but read anyways) it describes Palpatine/Sidious saying to himself that those responsible for the death of his student, Darth Maul, will be held accountable...or something like that. We know that Palaptine raised Maul from infancy which ment they had to be very close. Maybe as some sort of revenge Palpatine chooses Anakin simply because its Obi-Wan's apprentice. I don't know if Lucas would throw this in, but it could make good sense.

ToMacco
The books and the movies arn't the same, are they?

jedi212guy
I don't know. I think of Palpatine as more methodical. It don't seem like him to have much sympathy for his apprentice. After all, he didn't seem to mind too much about killing Vader.

ToMacco
yeah, he doesn't care.

bigsef2
he picked anakin as his apprentice because he is anakins 'father.' palpatine genetically engineered anakin to be the most powerful jedi ever, then put him in shmi on tatooine on the outer rim, so that he would go unnoticed by the jedi until he was too old to be trained by yoda. that way anakin would not have the benefit of learning to control his powers. what do you get when you have a person with the highest midichlorian count ever, who has not been trained from infancy to control it? a sith. the most bad-ass sith ever, to be more specific. anakin was born to be a sith.

ToMacco
ah. . . I don't think so.

If he went to all that trouble, then why did he try to have Luke bump Vader off in VI?

And why did Palpatine create this all powerful Jedi that had the ability to destroy him?

bigsef2
hmmmmmm lets think about this. in ROTJ, vader was more machine than man. he could hardly fight. luke was younger, stronger, and he only told him to strike vader down when vader was weakened in the fight. besides, we dont know LUKES midichlorian count, do we? perhaps it was even larger than anakins. as to creating someone powerful enough to destroy him, he NEEDED someone that powerful to help him get to be emperor in the first place. it was necessary for the strategy. the emperor did NOT know anakin had a son at the time and vader would NOT have turned if not for luke.

ToMacco
Then why did Qui-gon know he was going to save everyone?

bigsef2
first of all, qui-gon was not one with the force. he was a rogue jedi with alot of ideas that the council, including yoda and mace, disagreed with. that being said, anakin DID save everyone. he killed the emperor and brough balance to the force.

yerssot
ok, this is EU, so what the heck is written in it doesn't count
(see the novalization of ROTJ for example)

JediOasis
I know that its EU, I even said that in the first post, but I think it could be an interesting point. It would go with the whole theme of bad things happening to Obi-Wan. The fact that Anakin turns is bad enough but to find out that the reason he did was simply because it was his padawan.

yerssot
should this be in expanded universe?

but, now we are just guessing without anything that we can relate to as proof...

Ushgarak
Can I PLEASE remind people that books of the films are NOT EU! EU is NOT a term that means 'incorrect', nor does it mean 'non-canonical'; you can't just throw it at anything that is not right any more.

EU is any Star Wars worked not based on a GL story. Therefore the novelisations can NEVER be EU, because they are based on GL's work. They can be wrong, but that is neither here nor there as far as calling thwm EU is concerned.

ToMacco
The fact remains that all knowledge should be obtained in the films. You shouldn't have to read the books. It is bad film-making to leave something without explination.

finti
Yeah, in the film cannon, Books EU that doesnt COUNT

yerssot
okok Ush, don't yell big grin
*whispers* woohoo! I succeeded again!

but you have to admit that you have nothing with the novalization...

bigsef2
hmmmmmm. you made an interesting point tomacco. bad filmaking? whos the writer/director/producer of these movies again? george lucas?

bad film making.... george lucas.... bad film making.... george lucas?

phantom menace

nawwww. thought i was on to something for a second there. smile

sand person no. 10
can i just ask bigsef2 if you don't think lucas is a good film maker/direcotr then why do you like star wars.

jedi212guy
GL doesn't have time to explain every little detail. If he did, there would be no plot to the movie. Then, he might as well release a press release at starwars.com and explain something. After all, it would be much cheaper, I think. (the end in Watto voice)

bigsef2
ok sandy. i liked the original trilogy, especially ESB and ROTJ. in those movies GL did not direct or write the script, he just did the basic story. in phantom, he did everything and sucked at 90 percent of it. think of the things you like about the phantom menace. and think of whether those things you like would have been there with pretty much ANY director.

yerssot
it was the beginning of a 12-hours movie, remember

Ushgarak
So? I mean, I like TPM but you it being the first part of something larger does not give it a free pass on everything.

yerssot
ok, I'll not start about the fx and stuff but remember that every story has a beginning.
Not everything is good, but it's still a good sw-movies...

Julie
Star Wars is good entertainment. Why must we take it further than that?

yerssot
because we are SW-freaks?

sand person no. 10
bigsef, tpm is fine, you must remember that these films are 1 persons idea and are part of a 12 hour film, any book spends the first sixth introducing characters, i'm sure the next film proves how important ob1's upbringing was i.e his arrogance and how anakin showed his over confidence. I like tpm, it does what it is supsosed to, introduce characters, show the size of the "galaxy" thats all.

if it were not for tpm, the sith would still be a secret, the grandious nature of the jedi would not be known or would the size of the republic. without knowing these, the first 3 films would loose some of their appeal, the fact that 1 person can bring down all of these factors.

sw's is about dv, and he does bring down these 3 important factors. obviously with palpy's help but tpm is just used to set the story. nothing else. wait for aotc.

jedi212guy
Clearly, the most important plot point in TPM, for me at least, was how Palpatine became Chancellor. However, I guess how Anakin and OB1 came together is technically more important, it wasn't as interesting for me.

bigsef2
sand person, i dont argue with any of what you said. TPM sets everything up nicely and explains alot. but the actual plot and dialog sucked. there was absolutely no reason TPM could not have had the character interaction of the original trilogy. GL admits he sucks at writing, and thats why i have problems with TPM. i feel anakin skywalker should have had alot more screen time, and the relationship between obi-wan and qui-gon should have been developed alot more. i dont think anyone will disagree with me on those points. other than that, TPM is fine. even jar-jar. smile

ToMacco
There's just too much going on at once in TPM

yerssot
ok, there are things that looks different and strange, and what are you going to do about it?

Julie
Absolutely nothing...except maybe whine a bit. I though overall TPM was a good movie.

yerssot
now now, let's not be the new whining Luke

King Jedi
I always liked the idea that Palpatine tried to turn Obi-Wan but then thought Anakin was a better choice.

If you think about it - Obi-Wan kills his apprentice and loses his master. It might have made him a good choice for Palpy.

Ushgarak
I think the apprentice of the incredibly wise and noble Qui-Gon would have been a poor choice for Palpatine. Far too risky.

Julie
You don't try to take over a galaxy and not take risks. Obi-wan would have made a nice asset to the bad guy's team.

Ushgarak
Actually, Palpatine is a careful and meticulous planner. Literally speaking Obi-Wan would have made a good addition, but he really isn't suitable for Dark Side material, and I am sure Palpatine knows that. He's too ingrained. Qui-Gon did too good a job. May as well try and convert Yoda.

yerssot
a clumsy one, but still...

Ushgarak
You been reading Bob Brown's site again?

yerssot
wasn't that the guy with all the critisism about SW?

Ushgarak
He had some not nice things to say about TPM and ROTJ. But some very nice stuff about sabres...

Julie
Is bad mouthing ROTJ and TPM forgivable??? wink

bigsef2
everywhere i turn its JULIE JULIE JULIE!!!!!!!!!

Julie
Hahaha rolling on floor laughing

Well, I have to go to bed now anyway...I'm tired....answer all the forums and it'll be bigsef2....bigsef2....bigsef2 everywhere wink

I won't post anymore 'til tomorrow smile

bigsef2
haha, ok. BIGSEF will dominate!!!!

yerssot
sure thing roll eyes (sarcastic)

and you know you two have the same amount of posts?

Julie
We did, but I went crazy and spent hours here just answering everything......

yerssot
mission accomplished smile

back on-topic:

if something is not said in the movies you can consult the NOVALIZATION, and that has to come from Del Rey

Julie
"Novelization"...hmmm....I'll ponder on that awhile.

yerssot
yeah, ok, me not good in englash!

it's just the Del Rey book

Julie
Del Rey has a lot of good books...did u know that LotR ...the new edition...is put out by Del?

yerssot
and off-topic it goes...

bigsef2
yess, i think y ou will appreciate this reply of mine from another thread:

how is it that every one of these posts as of lately has strayed from the discussion and ended up a pointless arry of mindless comments. no offense to anyone, ive made little quips, too. but can we try a little harder to either stay on track or close the threads? its a little irritating to have 100 emails of replys to these threads and then check them and its just mindless dribble

yerssot
and why don't YOU try to get it ontopic?

Ushgarak
It's the mod's job. Take it up with them.

yerssot
OFFTOPIC big grin

Julie
ooops...... wink

yerssot
STILL OFFTOPIC

bigsef2
queeq, dim, close the damn threads!

yerssot
they have to get online first!

bigsef2
lazy bastards smile

yerssot
hey! queeq ok, but dim isn't!

bigsef2
huh? dont they both moderate?

yerssot
you don't insult a lady

queeq
*Lurch's voice* You rang? big grin

No need for language like that, bigsef. Okay, back on topic or this will be closed.

yerssot
ok ... ...

it's not really in the movie, but then you can get the novalization

bigsef2
queeq! my language?! im not even going to ask what youre talking about with being more interesting than a wet pussy cat. i dont want to know. even if its not gross, it sounds like it could be!

queeq
Nuff said.

And there's nothing wrong with my sig line. It just means what it says. If you find any other connotation I suggest you wash out your brain with disinfectant soap or watch some more Monty Python.

yerssot
there is nothing wrong with kitties!
And besides, you have an option where you can disable viewing siggies...

and queeq, I think big said that with the intention to have a laugh...

ON TOPIC please!

Ushgarak
I doubt there is more left to say.

Am I the only person who knew what your sig line meant, queeq?

yerssot
I think so ... yes,
remember that not everyone was here when the board was online

queeq
It hasn't got much to do with that. I had this sig line before I joined these boards.

I'll give you a hint though: sleeping bricks. big grin

yerssot
you sleep with stones???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.