Obi-wan's training

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Leia_2000
Ok, somewhere in Ep. 4, 5, or 6 (I'm not exactly sure where, I think it was 5) Obi-wan says that Yoda trained him, but in Ep. 1, Qui-Gon was Obi-wan's trainer. Did I miss something? confused

ToMacco
No you didn't. It must be later explained in II and III.

You're going to hear a lot of people around here babble on about; "Well, until you are six, Yoda trains you." Bullshit! When did it ever say that in the movies. Maybe in the books, but a lot of people arn't interested in books.

bigsef2
hey moron, have you actually looked around on this very website that youre posting messages on. the script has tons of scenes with yoda training young jedi. if thats not good enough for you, if you paid attention in episode II, you would remember this obiwan:"master yoda taught me i should be mindful of the future."

ps - youre really not a moron, but i just wanted to say it. smile

ToMacco
Okay, maybe it's in the script. But that's my point. It should be said in the movies, too. Which I'm sure it will be.

And yes, I know I've read other fourms about this subject. But if you go back and read what I posted, you'll see it differs very little to what I'm saying now.

Moron. wink smile rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
Master Yoda is not good enough, they call eachothers also as Masters so...

but all we know looks like Yoda trains them...

ToMacco
I'm sure it will be explained in II and III.

Ushgarak
To, Obi-Wan's line at the start of TPM that 'Master Ypda TAUGHT ME to be mindful of the future' was meant to clean up the discrepancy.

Yoda was indeed once Obi-Wan's master. End of story.

ToMacco
That's inconclusive, Ush. How could you make that assumption without reading it?

Yoda and the cousil seem to be the head of all Jedi. So, of course all Jedi would take what the cousil has to say under consideration. It NEVER in the films says that Yoda is the teacher for the first few years.

You know it, too. You're basing your claims on knowledge gained from the books, and it gives hints to it in the films. But to those of us who havn't read them, there is no proof. END OF STORY.

finti
Nah I go with Ush here

Ushgarak
No, To, because the fact that Obi-Wan TOLD us that Master Yoda trained him in ESB rather completes the story...

You are being deliberately obstructive, To. The situation we have presented is SO obvious as to be inescapable.

I am not basing my knowledge on ANYTHING from the books; it is based on comments from GL.

ToMacco
Okay fine. Wether it is books, or interviews with Lucas. It should be made clear in the films. Because it isn't. I'm sure it will be made clear in II or III.

Ushgarak
I don't see why it is so hard to go with the idea that Yoda was once Obi-Wan's Master, and now is not. Seeing that is obviously what we are meant to think.

yerssot
come on! OB1 said who trained him, so what's the big fuzz about?

Gundark
I agree with Ush too. I think that line that Obi-Wan spoke about Yoda telling him to be mindful of the future pretty much tells us why he said to Luke in ep5 "there you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me".

I don't think a vision of Ben talking to Luke, wounded and face down in the snow in the middle of a blizzard is going to go into details over the whole thing...

yerssot
certainly not when Han is getting nearer

ToMacco
There will be something said about it in II and III though, trust me.

yerssot
trust me?
that's the entire problem big grin / wink

Ushgarak
Do you mean specific info on Obi-Wan's relationship with Yoda? In which case I doubt you are right. Or do you mean it will be shown that Yoda teaches the children? Which is very likely.

yerssot
well, there will be young Jedi in the story, that is what we saw in a select pic

Leia_2000
Ok, so Yoda probably trains all the little Jedi, but To has a point-they never do make it entirely clear, but then again, a lot of stuff in SW isn't entirely clear. For example, I only saw one part in the whole trilogy where it said Boba Fett's name (although I probably missed something) and that was when Luke Han and Chewie were gonna get thrown into the Sarlak. After they had started attacking , Han says "Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?" and turns around, hits BF in his jet pack, and BF goes flying into the sarlak.

yerssot
you missed the part where Boba smacks against Jabbas sailbarge and then falls down in the pit...

and ofcourse there are things not clear! otherwhise there would be no explaining to do in the PT

Ushgarak
Look, WHAT did he not make clear? Obi-Wan in ESB says that Yoda once instructed him. His line in TPM makes it clear that Yoda once instructed him. Nothing else has ever been said about it at all. Obi-Wan never even said (in ESB) that Yoda was once his Master.

What exactly has GL failed to tell us there? What exactly are people's problems with that? I see NOTHING missing.

Meanwhile, yes, that is the only time in the films that Boba Fett is named. Throughout ESB he is only referred to as 'The Bounty Hunter'.

yerssot
and not by name in ANH or the holidayspecial...

Julie
I've never seen the sw holiday special. Though I have heard it was pretty bad. Wonder how I'd ever get my hands on it...would it even be worth the effort.

Ushgarak
Not unless you like 'so bad it's funny' stuff. And to be honest, I think the HS is worse than that; so bad it's just plain bad.

yerssot
NO! Julie!! you don't know what you said!

(if you have msn or icq, I can give it to you...)

ToMacco
Ush, you're not going to change my mind here. I'm not deliberatley being obstructive, as you say.

In TPM, Yoda says "Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentace".

He also tells Qui-gon that he has an apprentace, and it would be impossible to take on a second.

When does it EVER say that Yoda trains them when they are young? Obi's lines could just mean that he was being couseled by Yoda, who is one of the Jedi who looks over all of them.

There is no way that Yoda could run around and train all the young Jedi, it would take too much time. And even if he did, there should be something in the next two movies.

yerssot
To,
an apprentice is not that young thing running around, an apprentice is someone who knows the basics but isn't a full knight yet

ToMacco
Fine, then sayso in the movies!!!

yerssot
perhaps if you mix all the movies you will get things you never imagined...

ToMacco
like. . . scrambled eggs?

yerssot
sure thing To, stop thinking about food

ToMacco
. . . you started it.

yerssot
roll eyes (sarcastic)
I was trying to get your brains to work, it failed ... now why?
because you don't have brains!

ToMacco
. . . huh? Where am I?

yerssot
how ... original roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Sigh...

To, all I am saying is that there is NO contradiction in the films. NONE AT ALL. It is said that Yoda once taught Obi-Wan. Twice. That's all.

And that line about it being impossiblr to have two Padawans means NOTHING AT ALL in this situation. Unless you are suggesting ALL Jedi training is done one-to-one, which is amazingly unlikely. Yoda was talking about taking a Padawan, not general teaching to younger students.

Then when people ask about Yoda's position as far as teaching is concenred, we simply gave answers based on what GL has said and info received about AOTC.

I do not see your problem. And you look like you are being obstructive, you really do.

ToMacco
I'm being no more obstructive than you Ush. You've got you're opinion, I've got mine.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't even think you are wrong. I just think Lucas should clear it up, because it is ambiguous in the movies that are out now.

bigsef2
it will be cleared up in episode II, even though it doesnt need to be. in episode II, it is made clear that yoda trains ALL jedi at a young age. we even see him training a groupe of jedi, instructing them in how to use a lightsaber.

ToMacco
I hope it will be explained.

yerssot
To, the new whining Luke roll eyes (sarcastic)
djee, man, perhaps you want that Yoda writes it on a blackboard???

Julie
To ToMacco, patience is a virtue.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.