Discussion:The Iliad by Homer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

badkittykitty
The Iliad by homer

January 2004 book of the month -

The Iliad by homer
All discussions related to this book should be in this thread. To keep readability of posts, there is no need to use spoilers in your posts unless you feel it is absolutley necessary. Anyone reading the posts in this particular thread must be aware that they may contain spoilers about the plot and characters of the book.

rinoa
i understand that this isnt really the place to post this but as the other forum was closed i didnt know where else to place it.

rinoa
eeeek that wasnt ment to happen lol soz about that this is a website /link for people who like me are skint hope i havent done worng y putting this here just thought it might be helpful http://www.uoregon.edu/~joelja/iliad.html

badkittykitty
no,you can post about this book here(thats just what its forsmile )...the other thread is for keeping track of of books we choose and how we are going about it...I have that same link under the post post of the picture...but it was hard to spot so I am glad you posted it..this book might be hard to find so it nice there is a one line version..thanks smile

Laviera_j
I have to do The Iliad by Homer for my last years exams! I didn't have to read all thirty-somethings books though, thank goodness! I read most of them.

The bookwith the Cyclops was cool! All the gore, ooh, was well written, I wretched!

Which books did you like most?

SilverFighter
BKK let me make a quick comment about the different translations of the book.

The Iliad is a Greek classic by Homer and from what I understand there are different versions of the book. For example, my version was translated by Samuel Butler. So let me suggest that if your copy of the Iliad has a translator please mention him so that we won't get mixed up (just in case that there is some misunderstanding).

So far chapter 1 and 2 have been very exciting. Achilles has shown interest for the girl and his mother is appelling to Zeus. There is going to be a confrontation soon smile

badkittykitty
your right about the versions..I see the on-line version is different than the one at Amazon..interesting.
I wanted to hit the library all last week..but life is been hectic..I might have to read the on-line version which is translated by Samuel Butler.

Phoenix
I'm having to get the book sent over by another library. give me a week or two and I'll be here!

yerssot
what? you guys never read the illiad before it was book of the month?

badkittykitty
no not me..never even heard of it till now

yerssot
weird ... it's a well known book normally messed
will you read the odysea? (not sure about the english way of writing it)

SilverFighter
Yes it is yerssot, but some ppl (like myself) skip this book in school. When I was in High School, the book was optional so I never bother to read it. But now that I have some spare time I've decided to read it. Nearly everyone I know have read it so I think is time for me to start reading it.

yerssot
well, we don't have a system like the USA where you need to read books and such, they barely care here, well, from time to time a book in a foreign language or something
two-three english, 6 french ... I think

Phoenix
YAY!! I got the book from the library... now I just have to read it!

fungrl515
my brother's reading it for fun. i read an abridged version 2 years ago, but i'm gonna borrow the good version from my brother. i just finished greek mythology in english too. luckily, i got A+s on all of the tests. i can't wait to read the good version!!!

Aurora
I haven't read it either, but I def. think that I am gonna give it a try. I'll let you guys know what I think.

SilverFighter
Oh I see, btw when did you read the Iliad? is it as good as the Odyssey? I'm barely starting to read Homer but so far the Iliad is an exciting mythological book. smile

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Homer is a genius. im done.

yerssot
around ten years ago I think

I thought both of them were nice, not exactly my cup of tea but quite entertaining

lil bitchiness
BKK are you serious? confused

I love Illiad..much better than Odyssey i have to say! Illiad, even though its a story about the Trojan war and why the trojan war started it largely contrencates on the heros, and their mentality.
Its more ruthless i think, and more interesting, like when Achilles best friend dying in the place of Achilles because of Achilles' stuborness, Ajax killing himself as a result of being refused the armor of Achilles! Also the ruthlessness of the gods and the way they use human misery to suite themselfs!! Awsome Epic..just awsome.

I think you should at some oint get everyone to discuss Aenead because that is also an amazing epic! yes

yerssot
lil bit, think they didn't read it cause they're a tad far away from greece and you're not wink

SilverFighter
The only Greek classics I read so far are The Republic by Plato and Ovid's Metamorphosis. Which btw I'm going to nominate for book of the month in Feb smile

lil bitchiness
yeah yerss, you are probably right wink

SilverFighter, i really doubt that many people have read Plato's ''Republic'' and the majority that has read it, wouldnt have understood it.

SilverFighter
Well that depends which translation of the Republic you are reading. Mine translated version was by Allan Bloom and he did a good job by explaining in the footnotes where the dialogues and the Philosophy separate. There is another version by William C Scott which has more Philosophical foot notes. Which is great for Philosopher scholars than for literature readers (like I sometimes tend to be).

The Republic isn't an easy book to read but if you chose a translator that you feel comfortable reading, then I suggest the book. I would never suggest The Republic for any of the book clubs I visit because it is very political. That's why I would suggest a book more like Ovid's Metamorphosis simply because is easier to read plays than theory books wink

lil bitchiness
It is indeed...i still doubt many people have read it though confused or will have an interest in it confused

I loved it though!! thumb up

Im gonna suggest Aenead!! big grin

SilverFighter
The Aeneid by Virgil? Sounds like a good suggestion for a book of the month. I like Virgil especially the way Dante illustrated him in the Divine Comedy.

lil bitchiness
Yeah...Virgils work!! big grin

I like Aenead...Roman's ''Odyssey'' and Virgil is Roman's Homer!! thumb up

badkittykitty
lol I see allot of mythology in my future!

SilverFighter
We will still suggest 20th century books in the list bkk big grin. Kafka or Steinbeck or maybe Hemingway will be suggested (mostly by me) but for now is the Iliad. How far are you right now? I'm half way chapter 3.

lil bitchiness
Well...needless to say ive read it...many times im afraid because i did it in my Greek and Roman lieratire class a year ago...

SilverFighter
Do you remenber the translator from your version of the Iliad?Also I'm not too acquinted with Virgil but he is mostly Poetic right? I only know him because of Dante.

yerssot
translator?? people, please, learn ancient greek and read the original wink

SilverFighter
^lol I wish greek letters were easy to read wink

yerssot
they do teach it in schools stick out tongue wink

lil bitchiness
I can read Greek letters because they esemble cyrilic letters, i just got to learn Greek! I know basic words..but not so much i can read the epic...same goes for latin!

SilverFighter
I can never remenber the Greek letter alphabet sad I only recoginze a few letters but not all of them.

Storm
The Greek alphabet is easy to read but it are the Greek verbs that are a pain in the ass.

yerssot
it are always the verbs that are the pain, even in latin they are the worse there are sad *curses the verbs*

badkittykitty
my luck was awful getting this book...went to the library last week to get and they had to order it..havent heard from them yet..so I went to waldens and the only copy they had was this beautiful hard back one that was 30$ eek! I just wanted a little paper back so I could carry it around with me..so any how Ive read a few of the books on line and I think homer is great! I must admit something funny though I keep picturing the characters looking like disneys Hercules ones lol!

Matrix_man
shifty i finally found u bkk....

badkittykitty
yay!! M&M!! *huggs!*

Matrix_man
happy *hugs*

Phoenix
I'm soooooooooooo sorry, i had stupid A level exams all this month, and I passed my driving test yesterday! I'm sposed to have read Birdsong by Tuesday for my A level English class and all this stress has built up, and I haven't read the Illiad! sad

Well, I read the first few pages, and all I can say is I really dislike Agamemnon! And I won't get to finish it, cos it has to go back to the library on monday!!!

SnakeEyes
i bought the book at a half-priced bookstore a few days ago but have not started it yet, because of other books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.