Pearl Jam

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
These men are Gods as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else feel the same?

in flames
they are better then nirvana..ya go ahead shoot me!..they are better!!!!

amity75
You don't deserve to be shot. You should be put on a pedestal for that statement along with the rest of the sensible people.

total metalhead
they are better than Nirvana. but then again so are Foo Fighters, RHCP and Pink Floyd.

in flames
true to that..those bands are underrated compared to nirvana..i love nirvana but the reason they are so worshiped is the death of kurt.

wicker_man
True but the majority of older fans admire them for their music, i for one prefer Grohl to Cobain anyway.

in flames
me too i respect grohl..he is an amazing drummer..i like his singing too!!

for me pearl jam are much better then nirvana

wicker_man
Although i respect Pearl Jam they never influenced me as much as Nirvana or even Soundgarden did with the whole grunge music scene.

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

bilb
Wow, so this thread got hijacked in only 9 posts? Impresive...

But seriously, comparing PJ to Nirvana is like comparing Star Wars & Star Trek.... sme genre & not much else in common.

To me there have only ever been a handful of bands who can conbine great music and poetic lyrics in such a cohesive and moving way. I have liked all their albums and think Riot Act was absolutely their best. But it in NO way compares to seeing them live. These guys give it all they've got everytime they play. Not because they have to, and not because they want to appeal to anyone.... they simply live to play and that passion comes across and is completely infectious

Alpha Centauri
They're awesome. Better than Nirvana I think, by a fair way.

Don't think they were the best "Grunge" band though.

-AC

AcrypT
I kinda agree with the Star Wars/Star Treak comparission, Nirvana were a differen't kind of good then Pearl Jam, not really fare to compare them.
That said, I love Pearl Jam! They have a few odd songs but the rest of their stuff comprehends for those songs; defenetly one of the bands that will stick with me till I die or go mental and start listening to britney or something.

Df02
almost all the well known grunge bands were better than nirvana lol
i really enjoy Pearl Jam tbh. not my favourite band but i do enjoy their music

Alice_In_Chains
theyr good..not better thn nirvana...but still good

loserib
Alice n Chains owns them both

Alice_In_Chains
^^^ soooooo true!!!!!!!

Alpha Centauri
I think Pearl Jam are better than Nirvana. I like Nirvana alot though.

-AC

Alice_In_Chains
^ur siggy is fricken great

Alice In Chains r better thn pearl jam

Alpha Centauri
Alice in Chains are the best "Grunge" band by far, musically.

I PREFER Soundgarden, they are my favourite band from that era. Alice in Chains are a close second for me though.

-AC

Darth Revan
I agree with AC, Soundgarden were an awesome band. Pearl Jam are great too. Eddie Vedder is one of my favorite lyricists.

amity75
Yeah soundgarden were great as were Alice in Chains but Pearl Jam just seemed to have something extra. My mates a schoolteacher and has posters of Pearl Jam on his classroom walls and he has 12 & 13 year old kids coming up asking "Who the really weird, cool looking guy is". He has to sit them down and tell them the facts of life.

AcrypT
Temple of The Dog, Chris Cornel and Pearl Jam, that way you get Soundgarden and Pearl Jam all in one.
What could be better?

Alpha Centauri
Soundgarden and Pearl Jam on their own?

Temple were really good but not as good as those two bands.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I'd just tell them about Pearl Jam, save all the lawsuits.

'Sir, who's that band?'

'I think we need tp have a little chat, about sex.'

Alpha Centauri
Hahahahahaha.

Vic actually tried that once. Dressed as a school.

-AC

yoda ledbetter
I can't stand Pearl Jam... Eddie Vedder what a hack... blink

now that the blatant lies are out of the way... this is my favorite band of all time (if you can't tell by certain things in my username and what not stick out tongue)
...looking very forward to the new album, tour and inevitable bootlegs... droolio
I'm a junky!!

bilb
bootlegs droolio

amity75
Originally posted by yoda ledbetter
I can't stand Pearl Jam... Eddie Vedder what a hack... blink

now that the blatant lies are out of the way... this is my favorite band of all time (if you can't tell by certain things in my username and what not stick out tongue)
...looking very forward to the new album, tour and inevitable bootlegs... droolio
I'm a junky!! Did someone say new album and tour???? eek!

yoda ledbetter
Originally posted by amity75
Did someone say new album and tour???? eek!

Yes, yes they did... stick out tongue

There is a mini-tour this fall, mostly Canada, but there are some US dates and promise of a Brazilian one too... the new album is probably coming out in October, but nothing is firm yet... full tour should be next year with Europe, US and who knows where else...

Tis about to be a very good time to be a PJ fan....

big grin big grin
cool cool
Happy Dance Happy Dance

amity75
European tour droolio

yoda ledbetter

yoda ledbetter
for anyone interested, here is a list of some of the best PJ sites.....
http://www.tenclub.net/index.html -- official
http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/ -- official
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/
http://www.giventowail.com/
http://www.fivehorizons.com/

some message boards:
http://www.red-mosquito.de/phpBB2/index.php
http://mylipsareshakin.*********46.com/index.cgi

and some Italian ones, good for mp3's:
http://www.giventofly.it/
http://www.pearljamonline.it/

koolruningz
Never heard a Pearl Jam song i didnt like, which is an achievement because rock isnt usually my thing.

Otaku
Eddie Vedder is for my concern a better vocalist then Cobain anyway.And yes it is true that Nirvana are worshipped because of Kurt Cobains death.I mean the Guy has T Shirts that just say Kurt Cobain instead of Nirvana,for cryin out loud!

mysterio69
who loves 'em?
who doesn't love 'em?
discussgossip

Ya Krunk'd Floo
And then there was light!

RedAlertv2
Ive only listened to the album Ten but they are pretty awesome

amity75
Love them. And I'd even sleep on the wet patch for them.

Makedde
I used to hate them, but now I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. laughing

mysterio69
Originally posted by Makedde
I used to hate them, but now I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. laughing
they actually were the ones who thought of sliced bread

Smallville
Eddie Vedar's voice gets annoying after a while, much like that of Billy Corgan, or Raine Maida. But, still, one of the best bands of the 90's. In my humble opinion, anyways.

Victor Von Doom
What's so great about sliced bread anyway?

mysterio69
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
What's so great about sliced bread anyway?
because it's already sliced. duh.

Dr. Strangelove
For those interested...

Pearl Jam Takes Out Its Aggression On New Album
Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder

March 03, 2006, 4:25 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Pearl Jam wears its emotions on its sleeve on its self-titled eighth album, which, as previously reported, will be released May 2 via J Records. Material for the 13-track set took shape in the wake of President George W. Bush's re-election as well as the United States' invasion of Iraq, the third anniversary of which is quickly approaching.

"It's understandable why someone would like their entertainment to provide an escape from modern day worries and the reality of war," Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder tells Billboard.com. "We feel this record creates a healthy opportunity to process some of these emotions rather than deny them."

"It's like we took our aggressions and shaped something positive from them in a very direct manner," Vedder adds in a message on Pearl Jam's Web site, noting that after more than 15 years together, Pearl Jam feels re-energized by the new album. "Our band is like an old car, and this record is our new engine."

Two tracks have already been debuted live: "Comatose," which was previously known as "Crapshoot Rapture," is a fast, punkish rocker in the vein of "Spin the Black Circle," while Vedder's "Gone" was unveiled last fall during a show in Atlantic City, N.J. His solo demo of the song was recently included on Pearl Jam's annual holiday single for members of its Ten Club fan organization.

In a move that is unprecedented for a band of its stature, Pearl Jam is giving away a free MP3 of first single "World Wide Suicide" via its Web site, simultaneous with its Tuesday (March 8) release to U.S. rock radio outlets. Also expected in the next week is an announcement about Pearl Jam's 2006 touring plans.

Here is the track list for "Pearl Jam":

"Life Wasted"
"World Wide Suicide"
"Comatose"
"Severed Hand"
"Marker in the Sand"
"Parachutes"
"Unemployable"
"Big Wave"
"Gone"
"Wasted Reprise"
"Army Reserve"
"Come Back"
"Inside Job"

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002116003

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by mysterio69
because it's already sliced. duh.

Why not just make it in slices?

mysterio69
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Why not just make it in slices?
well, you'll have to run that one by the folks at "dempsters"

BobbyD
I pesonally think Nirvana (though no fault of their own) stole a lot of Pearl Jam's "thunder". Very underrated if ask me.

...was unfortunate too when Creed came out...a copy-cat, sound-alike of a band, no one cared to remember PJ? erm sad

mysterio69
oooohhh....yeah. i'm gonna see them on may 9th baby!!!

amity75
Hopefully they'll tour Britain sad

Kaleanae
Ahhh, I'm trying right now to buy tickets but the process gets so slowwww. hehehe XD

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Some of the tracks I've heard from their new album sound great. 'Unemployable' has a great rhythm and energy to it.

papabeard
I found a tape in a charity shop, of "alleged" Ultra Rare Pearl Jam tracks, with demos and live performances etc one of the demos was Angel, which I thought was a rather good song, just wondering if anyone else likes it?

I dont know why it never made it onto an album, because even though I like the band they do record some drek.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, they should alternate between using seal choruses coupled with the sound of smashing rocks and thousands of butterflies' wings flapping in the dawn. Then, they'd be more original. Hence, 'better'.

BobbyD
A very good band...and sooo underrated. Nirvana stole a lot of their "thunder", and perhaps rightfully so.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'Marker In The Sand' is my current favorite song. That chorus is so f*cking cool, man.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Slay
Eddie Vedder is for my concern a better vocalist then Cobain anyway.And yes it is true that Nirvana are worshipped because of Kurt Cobains death.I mean the Guy has T Shirts that just say Kurt Cobain instead of Nirvana,for cryin out loud!

Those t-shirts are celebrating him then. Nirvana were big news before he died. The death overrating syndrome isn't particularly overblown in the case of Nirvana.

'Like a fact of history/
And when you die, you'll become something worse than dead-/
You'll become a legend.'

'Star A.D' by FNM.

mysterio69
holy crap. the new album is amazing. anyone listen?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, it's sweet. Marker In The Sand is far and away my favorite tune at the moment. There are loads of good tracks though - Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, and Come Back to pick a few. Good stoof.

mysterio69
come back is damn good. big wave too. they just keep getting better and better.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's only over the last year or so that I've got back into rock, but their new album reminds me a lot of the stuff Audioslave have been putting out.

mysterio69
saw the show in toronto last night. the new songs sounded really good.
they even played 'why go', which was kinda cool. only thing is, is that out of all their songs, they played all the same songs i've heard so many times at shows. they have a pretty extensive back-catalogue, most of which would satisfy anybody there. but, oh well. it was still good.

RedAlertv2
Its good so far but I havent listened to it all the way through

...the new album, that is.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'Army Reserve' is a tune and a half.

Red Superfly
Pearl Jam rock. Gonna be seeing them in August.

Solo
Just got done listening to their new self-titled work, I dig it.

amity75
Haven't got the new album yet but judging by some of these comments I'm gonna have to.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's the f*cking bomb, man! It's the f*cking bomb! Why haven't you got it, dude? You should get it, it's the f*cking bomb!

amity75
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's the f*cking bomb, man! It's the f*cking bomb! Why haven't you got it, dude? You should get it, it's the f*cking bomb! Got it 15 mins ago on my lunchbreak after reading your post. Listening to it right now and loving it droolio

Seraphim XIII
Pearl Jam definitely tops Nirvana for me, but I love Nirvana's music. Pearl Jam is my all-time favorite band. Alice In Chains is very close. They come in second.

SelphieT
I really didn't like their Worldwide Suicide song.

I like their older stuff.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.