The Genius that is Kevin Smith (and friends)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bridget firth
ok guys seeing as the Domga thread got turned into a KS discussion, ok my fault prolly, i figured i'd start a KS thread, where we can discuss all the fab movies and the cats that hang out with him.

Mods btw if this is in the wrong place am sorry, so can you put it where it should be! cheers x

There were some comments about Jason Mewes' acting ability or lack there of, you are correct of course, Kevin wrote the Jay part based on him so he didn't have to act. However i think he has come on leaps and bounds from the early days, he's never going to be DeNero or Hoffman but i for one love watching him on the screen. RSVP was a terrible film, but Mewes made the 2 or some hours less of a waste.

I love Clerks and could pretty much watch it any time, but for me Chasing Amy is his finest work, from a Bridget Cheese view anyway. I loved Dogma for what it is but i just find the bigger the budget the less soul there is in the final cut, but that's just imo.

So what are your fav KS films, characters, friends, lines from films or fav stories from his Evening With DVD.

Also i am not a VA historian so i have a LOT of gaps in my knowledge, i'm just a huge fan

BF smokin'

Wolfie
My favorite is Mallrats. I thought it was hilarious. Brodie is my favorite View Askewniverse character (besides Jay & Silent Bob of course).

Bungee_toad
all the movie from kevin smith are all comic master pieces and some of the best comedy movies i have seen in a very long time. the only thing i hate was the end of chasing amy, but that is besides the point all his movies are awsome.

Evil Dead
I have a vast knowledge of View Askew........all films, not just Kevin's. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mewes can hold the Jay role like I said.........but that's about it. The role was always written based on Jason Mewes so it didn't require any acting ability. Mewes has gotten better in the role.....not because his acting ability has increased..............he has just become more comfortable being in front of a camera and in front of a production crew. He isn't as shy and bashful now so he doesn't seem as nervous in his scene/line delivery. He can pretty much just spit the dialogue out......which he really couldn't do well before Chasing Amy.

My favorite VA actors..........Jason Lee and Jeff Anderson easily. Favorite characters are Banky, Randal, and Brody.

My favorite films are A better Place, Clerks, and Vulgar.

Wolfie
Evil Dead, there is a question I would like to ask. On a site, I saw a poster of "Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, & Dogma 2", the ultimate VA sequel. When I first saw this poster, I figured it was just later renamed to Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. Then I found that it says Miramax at the bottom, J&SBSB was from Dimension Films. Do you know what happened here?

dystopia
Just watched Dogma last night. It was hilarious. The whole parody on Christianity and the angels and God (Alanis Morissette?!?!) was very clever and witty. This is only KS film I've seen and should really watch some of his other stuff. Any recommendations?

bridget firth
Depends on what type of thing you like, but Clerks is always a good place to start, it's B&W which puts some ppls off but it is a work of genius. If you are big on romantic hopeless stories then Chasing Amy is your film (ok will prolly get bashed for that comment but am a girlie so ye know) mallrats is a good allrounder, jay and silent bob has a LOT of in jokes in it, although it is really good if you hadn't seen any of the others, it is really better appreciated if you have seen the others. Those are the kinda mainstream films, see how you like those first i guess.

I watched Mallrats with the commentary on AGAIN last night, it is like watching a totally different film everytime i see it!! i love that.

i had a thought whilst i was watching it though - well more of a memory. Ethan Suplee who played Willem was on Boy Meets World :$ (yeah ok shutup stick out tongue ) and Topenga was mad and looked at him and called him a Mallrat eheheh i love when they do that. I think it was the part when Willem looked at Renee and called her Brenda that reminded me of that (Renee was played by Shannon Doherty, who played Brenda in 90210 - just to clear that up incase you wondered what i was talking about)

astrid133
I think KS is Fab
Mallrats is my favourite but Dogma is brilliant. Love Alan Rickman

SlipknoT
Dogma is so great. that movie got me into ks films

Darth Vicious
Chasing Amy was awsome and JASBSB was funny as hell and i could care less if Jason Mewes can act, hes still funny and i still havent watched Clerks which im looking forward to, the KS collection should be in everyones DVDs collection!!!!

Evil Dead
Wolfie.........

Dimension is Miramax...........

If I'm not mistaken, Miramax also released the "Scream" movies under the Dimension banner.

It's the same company.

Binx
Kevin Smith is awesome. I'm going to see his new movie, 'Jersey Girl,' when it comes out. It actually doesn't look so bad, but has anyone seen 'An Evening with Kevin Smith'? I thought it was so funny when he was imitating his conversation with Ben Affleck who, if I'm not mistaken, wanted to play the Daredevil character at the same time that Jersey Girl was supposed to start filming. That was great.

My favorite movie would probably be 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back', especially when Silent Bob basically tells off Banky at the end about the movie rights and Jay's like, "Yeah."

Evil Dead
I have the Evening with Smith dvds..........good stuff.

That is one of the best stories on the discs................Affleck wants Smith to write the script for Jersey Girl so he can star in it. Smith begins doing so. Smith suggests to the makers of Dare Devil that Affleck should play the part. Affleck agrees to play Dare Devil......but they are shooting Dare Devil at the same time Smith had planned to shoot Jersey Girl. Smith tells Affleck he is going to have to find somebody else to play the role..............then agrees to push back filming so Affleck can play the role if Affleck agrees to take a smaller paycheck. Of course Smith wasn't even done with the Jersey Girl script so there was no way he could make his planned shooting schedule anyway. He basically tricked Affleck into taking less money.........good stuff.

That's my favorite line on the dvd......when he's talking about Affleck telling him that he has to write the script......."mother****er, one of us has an Oscar for writing"........

bridget firth
I have that DVD too!! i LOVE it, my fav story is the Prince one i could listen to that time and time again... i mean it's Prince heheheh. Someone mentioned the story about the first time he had sex with his wife (before she was his wife) that was really funny also, but i LOVED when they brought Mewes on, he is sooooooo funny.

Anyone seen any easter eggs on any of the DVD's? I think i found most of them, my fav is of course when Mewes moons the camera and you see his meat and two veg, well more the veg but ye know ehehhe.

Also i watched the Goops 'Build me up Buttercup' video (it's an extra on Mallrats), that is soooo funny, that end dance routine, everytime i hear it i have to swing from side to side like that embarrasment

Darth Vicious
What i always like in KS movies is that Silent Bob is supposed to be mut or wathever(thats what i thought when i saw one of his movies for the first time) and people aggravates him and he starts talking, ie.. when he starts telling Bankie about the copyright stuff and even better in J&SBSB when they are in the desert and SBob is trying to tell Jay something but Jay keep messing up and SBob cant take it anymore and he starts yelling at Jay and basically calls him an idiot, good stuff, I gotta buy that Evening with KS it seem to be good stuff too!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.