Hahaha Spiderman still rules

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hahahha LOTR: ROTK has made about 222 million dollars over 12 days which puts it in 2nd place for a movie to break the 200 million dollar mark fastest...BEHIND Spiderman which did it in 9 days...woohoo spiderman is the best.

jpres
Agreed

Scythe
Go Spidey!! Whooo!!

Fallen Jedi
Why does everyone like spiderman so much? I don't see it. I just don't. It is no where in league with LOTR. I mean, seriously. LOTR is way deeper and has more levels than any Spiderman film could ever have. Besides, LOTR has some of the greatest epic battle scenes of all time not to mention a world full of hobbits, elves, wizards, orcs, nazgul, and urhu-kai. All Spiderman has is guy dressed in blue and red spandex and some of the most ridicules villians. And those scenes where spidey is flying through the air, how fake-looking is that?

And just to let you know, ROTK was 3 hours 45 minutes long. If the movie was shorter, more people would have been able to see it, thus allowing the movie to rake in more money than Spiderman. So if you think about it, ROTK really did beat Spiderman. Spidey just won on a technicality.

LOTR rocks and Spidey sucks!

Sorry if I'm being an ass but I just don't understand the whole spiderman frenzy. The movie was average. Better than some, but definitely worse than many, LOTR for instance.

Punker69
I got your back JEDI!!!! smile

Fallen Jedi
Thanks Punker69. thumb up I'm glad to know that there is someone out there who's not pulled into the whole spidey crap.

rianna_d
LOTR is considered a masterpiece by many critics! and it's been aclaimed by them... spiderman got bad reviews... I think it sucks... and who cares about the box office succes, it does not determine the quality of a film, and you should know that already roll eyes (sarcastic)

alic88
umm its kinda surprising how spiderman got 200 million in 9 days.n e wayz though i havent seen ROTK yet, i dont like the LOTR triology that much. nothing so special bout it. may b ROTK will change my mind

zoemorn
spiderman was one of the better comic based flix, but as some have stated i also dont know how it generated so much cashflow, little kiddies i guess. LOTR Trilogy was very well done even if you never read the books as most of our ILLITERATE AMERICANS havn't heh, READ READ READ. (ok so i havnt read jack in awhile).

how many times do i have to say the same thing...the movie spiderman is based off the comics...comics are cheesy, predictable, silly, etc(at least the original superhero comics were) and the goal of the spiderman movie was to act like it was a comic book on screen..it's not supposed to be realistic at all...they did such a great job at showing us a comic book with actors, amazing job. And it's more fun to watch.

Also as i've said before lotr series is just plain boring...it also has a predictable and to me a silly plot as well, all the scenes "that bring out emotion in people" is all a load of crap, it's plain cheesy. A world full of "hobbits, elves, orcs, etc.." isn't exciting either. it's just a world with a variety of creatures but none that are really cool, the villians and allies in the comic book world in general feature some of the most amazing characters to watch and some of the best storylines to follow-don't think of spiderman the movie as just one universe, think of it as one movie in a giant universe(which is what it is) and the scenes where spidey is flying through the air are amazing, and they can't be perfect (because there is no spiderman) but they're breathtaking all the same. I can name more than a few scenes in lotr(the whole trilogy) where you can clearly tell they're in front of a blue screen...lotr is just a trilogy-it's nothing special in my opinion at least

alic88
113 u might just get a lot of bashing lol. although u have every right 4 ur opinion, i would never say LOTR is bad, not that u said it,just nothing special

zoemorn
I can't believe people are comparing the LOTR trilogy to ... Spiderman of all things. Like 113 said, Spiderman is based on, and attempts to put into live action, the essence of a comic book. That said, i personally have to really hammer down on 113's view of LOTR. And though i contradict what i just attempted to relay by continuing contrasts between the two very different films... "creatures and characters that arent cool" what in the freaking heck kinda drugs are you on???? Obviously you are a hardcore spidey fan but sheesh to try and downgrade the quality of work that Peter Jackson's team did is kinda rediculous. LOTR is purely and simply EPIC in nature whereas Spiderman is super hero fights villain and gets girl. Not that its bad, but c'mon you cant consider it epic. (yes i realize at the end of the first Spidey movie he didnt really get the girl, but we all know whatsup.) LOTR being predctable?? its based on a really OLD book dude.. thus in that time such a story prolly wasnt that predictable. heh Jackson wasnt goin for "lets fool the audience" they were trying to interpret the book for film. haha, villians, storylines in comix are "amazing to watch"... yea kinda like soap operas for kids. Sorry i digress.. i love comics, i like quality movies based on them.. xmen was sweet, spidey was good, hulk wasnt too bad either (for entertainment). Just dont attempt to throw them in the same categories of epicness that LOTR is.

Use your spidey sense Luke!

jpres
Don't hate on on spideys scenes being fake until you watch The Fellowship of the Ring when they're crossng that bridge and that fire monster thing comes up. I have to say that every aspect of THAT looked SO REAL. laughing

why is lotr epic and spidey not? i personally think comic books are way more epic than lotr, just cause comics don't have a bunch of speeches about courage and facing your fears an a bunch of slow high pitched music doesn't mean comic books or spiderman specifically isn't epic......and yes i stand by what i said..the characters in lotr aren't cool/amazing to watch/fun/exciting/awe-inspiring

and obviously your oversimplifying the whole comic book franchise and spiderman..i could say lotr is simply good vs evil with various characters splashed in-i mean that's my opinon of it

and sure even if at the time tolkien made lotr the storyline wasn't predictable it doesn't change the fact that NOW when these movie's come out that it IS predictable and typical, and that NOW you would think people would see that

zoemorn
for the sake of controversy and debate:

why is your view of LOTR's "being predictable" (in your opinion) a valid argument for dissing the movie especialy in regards to spiderman as it is taking out of context of what the movie is. i mean heck, spiderman is totally predictable.. anyone think spidey was going to bite the dust and fall before the goblin's feet? heh, it was no more unpredictable than any of the rocky sequels. but it WAS entertaining. i agree that in some ways comic stories are epic, i'm an x-men/superman fan, read the comics for along time and they're epic in the sense that they are based in a "universe" not that LOTR isn't (tolkien and his successors have other books that describe other aspects of that world).

Nazgul lover!

Fallen Jedi
And Spiderman is not? Please, there is no real depth to spidey. All Spiderman does is obsess over that red-headed chick and battle some idiot in a green suit, who by the way is suppose to be suffering from a split personality disorder. LOTR does a way a better job with Smeagel/Gollum. You can actually see the conflict. So you see, the battle between good vs. evil is more complex than in spiderman. LOTR captures the emotional and pychological conflict within, which spidey fails to do.

I understand with what your saying about comics being their epics, I don't argue with that. But the characters in LOTR ARE more intereting. They are much more complex than Peter Parker. Plus, they are characters of all different races and customs. They each have their own unique history that all lends to the story of the the moviel. As I mentioned before there are hobbits, elves, wizards, orcs, Nazgul, Urhu-kai, and many others. So, don't presume to tell me that the characters in LOTR are not cool/amazing to watch/fun/exciting/awe-inspiring.

Tolken and Peter Jackson are both guinesses! Tolken for being the creater of such a wonderful and complex world. And Peter Jackson for brilliantly bringing it to life on the big screen.

Again Spiderman is much more than spiderman vs green goblin there's a whole marvel universe...personally i never found green goblin and interesting villian and his split personality frankly is boring to me-same with gollum/smeagal in lotr...and there is not much more than good vs evil in either series...in the case of split personalities it's just good vs evil within one's self...still boring

and i disgaree i think the characters in lotr are not interesting at all, and again peter parker isn't the only character in the marvel universe, each character in the marvel universe has their own history and story as well...and i gurantee you there are a ton more characters in the marvel universe than in Tolkien's universe...and again i'll say this: the characters in lotr are not cool/amazing to watch/fun/exciting/awe-inspiring cause they're not! and that's my opinion

Fallen Jedi
This debate could go on forever. To save us the trouble, you think whatever you want to think, and I'll do the same. This is getting tired.

Mr Parker
Jedi,Rianna and Punker you all are awesome and are cool in my book.As you can tell from my sig below,I hated that movie BIG TIME.I love the character of spider-man as my user name proves,he's a great character,but honestly,this movie was one of the most horrible comicbook adaptations there was.The movie totally betrayed his character and the spirit of the comics.It was not at all a magical movie like Superman was.This movie COULD have been magical like Superman,but they had to go and dumb down his character by taking away his greatest scientific invention and as a result,we get a character who was not really all that interesting of an individual.There were some good points in the film such as the acting of William Defoe,but the negatives far outweighed the positives in the movie.the movie is so overated its unbelievable.Give me Lord Of the rings anyday.Again look at my sig below and you wont be surprised why I hate the movie so much.

agreed

hobbit_lover
spiderman is alright..but lotr is totally better it kicks major ASS!

Mr Parker
well said.

zoemorn
Um, but we're focusing on Spiderman the Movie not on the comic or any other character or their stories in the 'marvel universe' again... irrevelant to the present argument.. which i'm starting to forget what the argument is anymore. You could just as easily say that any of the LOTR characters have their own stories, and that there are other characters not mentioned.. and how can we all make these claims... because its all FICTIONAL.. the only reason there are so many Marvel characters is because someone made it up and attempted to sell it to the masses. hahhaah, this thread is becoming quite comical (ironic).

like jedi, i too am tired.

hearing the Nazgul scream in an Imax theatre will hurt yer testicles. if you have testicles.

Bungee_toad
i agree with every one who says spidey is better than the lord of the rings.

Kes
I think LOTR is doing very well, considering that the the cost 3 movies were paid in like 2 weeks after the 1st came out wink

BackFire
only idiots care about how much money a movie makes, it in no way brings any credibility to a film.

Kes
Indeed, but if a good quality movie makes cash its always good.

BackFire
yep, but a movie making more money then another movie is in no way a feesable argument about the quality of the film.

Kes
Indeed.

no one said anything about the "quality" of a film being determined by how much money a movie makes...

rianna_d
EXACTLY!!!

*Rianna claps*!!! big grin

and 113... if you agree with him then... why did u say that SPIDERMAN was the best 'cause it made more money than LOTR... I think that was the topic of this thread... the reason why you started it, right?

Punker69
EDIT

Mr Parker
are you calling me and all the other posters on this thread idiots? thats what it sounds like? roll eyes (sarcastic) Its absurd logic to say that just because a movie made so much money its a great movie which is always the weak argument I hear when people who try and defend the spider-man, err man-spider movie.The only reason spider-man made so much money was because he's such a popluar icon figure. again Punker,if your calling me and all the posters here idiots then myself and many others arent going to think very highly of you by calling us that.I really hope that wasnt directed at me and some of these other posters because I happen to like some of these posters on this thread,dont care for the guy who got this thread started,but I have had discussions with Kes before and we have had disagreements about a few things before but I respect her,and I am just offended if you are calling Kes an idiot as I am if you are calling me one.

BarmyBrummie
I think one of the reasons that it made so much money is because here in Britain Spiderman was originally a 12 Certificate and so loads of people would have gone to see it. Kids under 12 were complaining and only had there parents story of the film and couldn't see it for themselves. Because of this Spiderman was given a brand new certificate of a 12A. I think it was the first movie ever to do this and it meant that kids below 12 could see it with someone over 12 years old. Because of this new certificate tens of thousands of kids saw the movie and so did the people who took them to see it. This therefore would have increased the amount of money Spiderman made.

I added "spiderman is the best" because that's my opinion, but i didn't say that the "quality" of a movie is judged by the amount of money it makes

and who says that i didn't mean "spiderman is the best" as in spiderman is the best at the box office (meaning made more money faster)...

the point of this thread was to state a fact.

Fallen Jedi
I agree with Mr Parker. Just because a movie made so much money, it doesn't mean its any good. The mass was just lurred into Spiderman by the hyp. The Spiderman franchise had been around a while, so of coarse people are going to see it. The Hulk, for example, was another one of those classic comics that turned into a movie. Like Spiderman, it held the number one spot on its opening weekend, but that was a disappointment. And 113 please don't tell me you fell for that movie too.

Well said, Mr Parker. Okay, okay I know I'm bashing but I couldn't help myself. shifty

fini
and remember why spidey made more money..........its was PG and released in the summer during vacation, TONS of little children went to see it

ROTK is pg-13, released in the height of winter and school wasn't even out yet. WHY THE HELL DONT you think it made more than spidey. ROTK blows spiderman outta the water any day, hour, century, any millenium.

as of dec 30 ROTK has 241 million in the boxoffice( after 13 days of release), it has more than enough power to plough through spidey box office take.

Fallen Jedi
Well said fini. thumb up

And as I mentioned earlier, and this is a direct quote

"ROTK was 3 hours 45 minutes long. If the movie was shorter, more people would have been able to see it, thus allowing the movie to rake in more money than Spiderman. So if you think about it, ROTK really did beat Spiderman. Spidey just won on a technicality."

yeah but the POINT is (that it seems most of you owe so brilliant people fail to realize is) THAT SPIDERMAN MADE 200M(A RECORD) IN 9 DAYS WHILE NONE OF THE LOTR SERIES MADE THAT IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME...it's a fact, plain and simple...do you think i didn't realize the advantages the spiderman release holds over other movies in general let alone rotk....i do realize that and have, but that doesn't change that one FACT that this thread was about..so stop trying to come up with points because you're just making an argument that doesn't need to be made

and three things fini

1) spiderman is rated pg-13
2) around here may3 isn't considered summer vacation so no it wasn't released during vacation
3) i disgaree with you, i think spiderman blows rotk out of the water, and that's my opinion and i'm sticking too it

as for you fallen jedi i personally didn't like the hulk that much, but to tell someone that "they fell for a movie" just because you don't agree with their opinion on the quality of the film is just idiotic...
ever think that maybe people are just different than you..live with it

Fallen Jedi
Then what the HELL is your point? That Spiderman still holds the record for boxoffice sales? We know that already. If that's all you wanted to say then why post a whole entire thread?

roll eyes (sarcastic) Yes, life's a b!tch. We know that. But its people like you...

YES that was my point, glad you finally realized it..took you this long...and isn't this site for posting threads, i posted a thread that i thought was interesting...

people like me?

you're the kind of person that used to laugh at people who believed the world was round...

ragesRemorse
spiderman is more well known, and has a larger fan base than Lotr. Also it was a damn good movie. It was a damn good movie during a time when the cinema was flooded with crap. well i guess that last point isnt relivant seeing how the cinema is always flooded with crap. well anyway spidey holds a record, but return of the king will gain greater achievments than spiderman. achievments that a spiderman movie could never hope to grasp. Not that any of this propaganda matters one bit to the fact of a movie being good. There both good movies not requiring to much in intelligence

agreed

ragesRemorse
damn i thought you would ravage my post 113. telling me how spiderman will go down with more important achievments than LOTR. well i guess it may. It clenched many years of comic book movies to come. that however may prove to be a bad thing LOL

Punker69
EDIT

I LIKED SPIDER-MAN,BUT LOTR IS A WAY BETTER MOVIE THAN SPIDER-MAN WILL EVER BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ragesRemorse
No not really. Spiderman overcame so many hurdles to become the great movie it is. It had nicely paced presentation. with a well rounded script. you have to remember the comic book realm is a very touchy one. Spiderman is one of the only movie's to surpass the hype and expectations given. I know LOTR did aswell. But spiderman was eigther going to be accepted as a great movie or a Horrible failure. there was no in betweens. Lotr people diddnt know what to expect. With LOTR people were hoping for a great movie, they werent expecting a great movie based on a character they grew up with. Spiderman had a thousand and one possibilities for it's film adaptation. about a thousand of those possiblities were makings for failure. niegther lotr or spiderman, had much of a story. But spiderman had better presentation, and character development. Lotr had the suspense, it was set on a grand scale, and with numerous lead characters it is hard to not find one to relate to. The grand scale it was set on lets you over look the faults, and see the over all planned achievment. Technically Lotr is better, but is riddled with flaws and dissapointments. spiderman is a smaller tightly knit film.

Joy2dWorld
honestly, i wont pretend to be a genius & say i like LOTR bcoz the truth is-- i dont get the point of that "epic".

i like Spiderman better.. heck I even like the Harry Potter books better bcoz it is a deep material that pretends to be light - something it intentionally does in order to get its message across "effectively" to its target audience.

on the other hand, LOTR is shallow material pretending to be "deep." the only message its really trying to say is that -- the ones who have the power to save the world, to overcome evil, is not the great wizards & warriors with all their power & glory, but the lowly hobbits who have no special powers but purity of heart.

so i leave the theater saying "that's it? that's all the fuss is about?"

its like Princess Diana's wedding dress - a simple one would have made her beauty stand out, but the one she wore drowned it out! that film has a great message, but the grandeur & lavishness of the production drowned it out, making it nothing more than a merely entertaining film & its message mysterious to an audience--

i dont even know what kind of audience it is targetting! its not targetting kids, but I dont think its also targetting a more mature audience. the critics praising it-- they think they're wiser than all of us!

Kes
Punker69 this is a warning! Calling members names is bashing which isnt allowed!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.