Will Ep II move Star Wars even closer to us?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthyogi

yerssot
one thing: Chuwie doesn't make a Tarzan-shout, and it's posted somewhere that it's one of those Ewoks on a horn...

man, it's a sf-movie and GL puts stuff in it for fun, man , next time you are going to talk about those little aliens with their cameras??? give it a break!

anyway...

my favorite thingie, is Maul with his double-edged lightsabre:
there are two Jedi knights, and one Sith apprentice, so you think, easy done! but then he pushes another button and a second one comes out, saying: don't mess with me! I have TWO sabres at once!

finti
Nah it is Chewie making the shout, and it is a mock of Tarzan

yerssot
not doubting it comes from Tarzan, and believe me it's not chuwie

bigsef2
partly he realizes that people in general are satisfied with less substance in movies nowadays and partly he just doesnt care anymore. its a good thing hes NOT doing Episodes 7-9 in another 10 years because they would be complete crap

yerssot
ow yeah, he doesn't care anymore, therefor he makes an entirely new trilogy roll eyes (sarcastic)

darthyogi
You've missed the point, Yerssot. It doesn't matter if the yell came from Chewie, an Ewok, one of the trees or a member of the crew - it was a reference to something outside the Star Wars universe and as such broke the illusion of a fantasy realm set as far away from our reality as possible - which was obviously Lucas' intention for the series or why else state, before anything else happens on screen, that it's far way and a long time ago?

How would people feel if the opening scene of Lord of the Rings featured Gandolf striding into the Hobbit village and asking the little poeple "Wazzup?" It's the same thing as far as I'm concerned. It cheapens the experience, diminishes dignity and integrity and - imho - is a crying shame...

But did you hear: there's going to be a PURPLE laser sword in Ep II - how cool will that be?!!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
and in the next reply you are going to complain about Luke and Leia and the others resambling humans?
heck, it was put there as a joke, don't take it serious!

King Jedi
Your still missing the point Yerssot. I know what Darthyogi is saying and agree with him. Apart from the point about racial stereotypes. That's nonsense.

ROTJ had the "tarzan cry" and Landos "this'll be the shortest offensive of all time" line which Kasdan said was an American Football reference. Then TPM had a few.

But is it really a problem? Star Wars IS a part of modern day pop-culture. People(apart from kids) don't sit there all wide eyed and innocent anymore. We know too much. Star Wars is everywhere and Lucas is just joining in on the joke.

But I do think your taking it too seriously. When TPM was released I read people say that the pod-race commentators took them out of the Star Wars Galaxy and brought them back to Earth. The scene was on Tatooine, there were aliens everywhere, pod-racers were flying round a circiut at 600mph but some people had a problem imagining they weren't on Earth. roll eyes (sarcastic) rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
is there a point here?

King Jedi
Yes. But I don't agree with it.

Ushgarak
Yes, there is no problem at all. And the LOTR comparison does not stand. SW was written with recognisable references in mind, which, as has been discussed, are sometimes strong enough to be directly said and/or done by the characters. SW is, in many ways, light-hearted.

LOTR is anything but...

queeq
It's just a bit of harmless fun. Although the Tarzan yell (but CHEWIE!!!!) was a bit awkward. I loved the ET's though since it IS a joke and not a very prominent one and borrowing from ANOTHER universe.

Julie
What Tarzan yell????

And even though i feel like a traitor....I'm going to see LOTR.

Star Wars wouldn't be the same without it's little jokes....better or worse....i dunno, but I do know that I love all the movies just the way they are.

The accents in TPM were different, but I have no probs with them ....esp the Nemoidians...I think the strange accent was complementing to their creepy characters.

Ushgarak
Why feel like a traitor to watch LOTR?

peluffo

Julie
I see your point...but I kinda like the internal jokes....take comfort...epII and III will prob be dark and serious and 100% Star Wars.

As to why I feel like a traitor seeing LOTR...i don't rightly know. It's just a feeling. I have never read any of the books, but the movie looks good so in a couple of days.....I'll prob see it.

King Jedi
I feel like that as well because all I've been hearing this week is LOTR fans telling me that it's "the new Star Wars" or crap like this.

Whay aren't you allowed to like both?

Ushgarak
The critic from the Daily Telegraph said of LOTR 'The only reason that this film is not better than ESB is that it owes so much to it'

Personally, I cannot think of any reasons why Star Wars fans should not proudly like LOTR.

Julie
I haven't yet seen it, but I will. I'll prob like it too....but It can never take the place of Star Wars in my heart smile

yerssot
we can always cut your heart open to see it for ourselfs...

King Jedi
Try watching it with 5 people who don't like SW then spend an hour in McDonalds with them bleeting in your ear about how much better LOTR is. You might think it's easy but you'd crack!

I really wanted to just go in and enjoy the film but the fans make it impossible. sad

Ushgarak
I guess I am lucky that I am roughly an equal fan of each, then.

Julie
LOTR fan's bleeting at you...you poor thing

Fans what are we ever going to do with them....but just to play devil's advocate....Would you "bleet" at LOTR fans about how much better star wars is????

I think we could be a pretty rough bunch of fans if we wanted to.

Ushgarak
What we need here is some solidarity...

yerssot
*runs to the shop*
*runs back*
sorry, they don't have that anymore

Julie
fresh out!!! awe-man sad what shall become of us w/o solidarity????

yerssot
do I look like I would care? wink

Julie
no.......but deep down you must care...I can feel it wink

yerssot
nope, you were wrong

Julie
Then how can I feel the good in you....the conflict?

yerssot
conflict? I'm pure evil!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.