Geek Infos..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue

shadowy_blue

shadowy_blue
71. There is blood on Frodo's neck from carrying his 'heavy burden,' a circular scar on his chest from Shelob's sting (back of neck in the book) and a scar on his shoulder from the Morgul blade.

72. Frodo doesn't turn on Sam when he hesitates to give back the ring because he knows how the ring works on the mind.

I disagree - he grabs at it, though not as emphatically as in the text. - Dem.

73. Sam's orc armour makes him look like an oliphaunt!

You can see their armour here. There is a huge continuity bubble when they suddenly end up back in their hobbit clothes - looks like this the part where Frodo throws away his orc sword and armour was cut for time. Expect an EE scene, probably. - Dem.

74. *NEW* Gandalf has lost his staff by the time he gets to the tombs with Pippin.

This is apparently because of a cut scene where Gandalf confronts the Witch King of Angmar. Remember that scene from the trailer where Gandalf is one Shadowfax, and the Fell Beast descends from the sky? Apparently Gandalf's staff is broken here. - Dem.

75. Sam's pans were hitched on his belt when he's in his orc armor.

76. Frodo paws at the air trying to evade the wheel of fire before his eyes (just as in the book).

77. Frodo's look, the angle, and the lighting as he claims the ring mirrors the scene with Isildur at the crack of doom from the first movie.

I found the appreviation of lines to merely "The Ring is mine" interesting. In fact, it's possible that there could be a cut here, and we may get the full dialogue in the RoTK EE.

"'I have come,' he said. 'But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!' And suddenly, as he set it on his finger, he vanished from Sam's sight." From Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter Three. - Dem.

78. Before the Black gate, the good guys are in a tight circle surrounded by a larger circle of orcs etc. After the battle engages there is a wide shot where the army of the west (slightly lighter in coloration) are fighting into the large circle of orcs and it looks like a sunburst.

79. *NEW* When Sauron sees Aragorn at the Black Gates, he says Aragorn's name in a slightly fearful voice. Sauron then says Elessar.
80. Sauron tries once last attempt to seduce Aragorn ... but he turns and smiles and whispers, "For Frodo" as he leads the charge, followed by Merry and Pippin!

81. The moth shows up signalling to Gandalf that the eagles have arrived!

82. As Gollum goes into the lava, he doesn't even flinch! He's just so focused on the Ring - so giddy with possession - that's all he can see or feel.

83. As the Ring sits on the lava, you can see it absorbing heat -- the area around it darkens!

84. The print of the ring lingers for an instant once the metal has melted.

85. Sam reaching for Frodo as he hangs off the cliff echoes Frodo when he rescues Sam from the Anduin in FotR.

86. *NEW* After the destruction of Sauron the scene is almost exact to the original "destruction of Sauron" in FotR. An explosion and then a wave filters out throughout the lands, but it seems less potent and doesn't knock everyone down.

They are a lot further away than in the Last Alliance battle, admittedly. - Dem.

87. *NEW* At the Black Gate, when the ring is destroyed, Pippin and Merry's usual roles are reversed. Merry exults in Frodo's apparent success, while it's Pippin (the wiser of the two for the first time) who realizes that it means Frodo is likely killed when Mt. Doom explodes.

88. Once free of the ring, Frodo can see the Shire; the Brandywine River; Bag End; Gandalf's fireworks; the lights in the Party Tree... Sam can see Rosie dancing with ribbons in her hair.

shadowy_blue
89. *NEW* Film version: "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee. Here at the end of all things." Book version: "I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam." Given the dynamics of the film's Frodo and Sam, I like the focus to be Frodo being glad to be with Sam instead of being glad that Sam's there with him ... Frodo's putting Sam ahead of himself.

90. *NEW* Landroval and Gwaihir were so gentle when picking up Sam and Frodo, as if they were caressing a newborn baby! Meneldor was also there.

Gorgeous still shot of that here. - Dem.

91. The look on Frodo's face as the eagle carries him above the lava is without a doubt the most beautiful and heartbreaking moment ever seen on film - we see Frodo's agony over his broken body and his experience, perfectly mingled with absolute ecstasy of the release. The way that shot lingers on his face and how without saying a word Elijah conveys that moment, is beyond my ability to put into words.

92. *NEW* The light on Frodo waking up parallel's Rivendell waking and reuniting (healing powers?). Gandalf was there waiting for him each time.

93. Frodo still has scratches on his face and Sam has a bruised chin in the bedroom scene.

94. Gandalf's laugh is reminiscent of his laugh with Frodo in his first scene in the film, in the Shire, when Frodo is once again seeing Gandalf for the first time in a long while.

95. Gimli dabs at his eyes at the hunters watch the hobbits frolic.

96. King Elessar's beard is fuller than Aragorn's.

97. *NEW* At Aragorn's coronation, the White Tree is alive and kicking, with many flowers.

Wonderful what they can do with CGI - they filmed that scene here - Dem.

98. *NEW* You can see the banner that Arwen made for Aragorn (in the book) to the left of the picture as he kneels before Gandalf during the coronation. A black standard where "there flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above, the signs of Elendil."

99. Arwen carries a banner and Aragorn takes it from her at the coronation scene (House of Elrond's banner?).

100. The hobbits are wearing their clothes from the Shire during Aragorn's coronation.

101. When we fly over the map with Frodo's voice over, as Frodo says "eternally bound by friendship and love" (talking about the Fellowship, of course) the camera is over Fangorn Forest - a nice nod to Treebeard and to Legolas and Gimli going there after the War of the Ring!

102. *NEW* Frodo's wearing more Elvish silks and pale colours as he becomes more ethereal and withdraws from the mortal world.

103. *NEW* When the hobbits return to the Shire near the end of the film they are all wearing very fine clothing. In particular Merry wears a richer looking Rohan outfit (rich green cape w/gold trim, deep reds for the rest of the outfit). Pippin wears a richer looking Gondor outfit (similar to the one he wore throughout the film but it looks newer and richer in color).

You can see these outfits in this image - one that never made the theatrical cut. - Dem.

104. Sam is the first of the hobbits to make a move to get back his life when he leaves the table to see Rosie.

105. Pippin gets the wedding bouquet at the wedding of Sam and Rosie. And indeed Pippin is the next to be married of the four hobbits.

106. Frodo's totally tidied up Bag End. It looks funny uncluttered.

107. *NEW* Galadriel had said in TT that "In his heart, Frodo begins to understand the quest will claim his life." While in Bag End, Frodo reflects that In his heart he begins to understand he can't go back.

Apparently "claim his life" literally. At the Wellington roundtable interview, Philippa asked the journalists about his departure at the Grey Havens. "Did you understand that in essence Frodo was dying?" - Dem.

108. Part of what Frodo's written in the Redbook of Westmarch includes, "...can finally ask for the hand of the fair Rosie Cotton." and "...the bravest things he's ever done." and "... Samwise Gamgee was elected mayor." ALL of these need to be expanded upon and verified!

109. At the very bottom of the cover of the Red Book, there are two intertwined "B's" , for Bilbo Baggins.

Frodo scribbling in the Redbook of Westmarch. - Dem.

110. *NEW* The sword that's on the wall behind Frodo in the Bag End study looks like Glamdring or Pippin's blade he carries in Minas Tirith, which is mounted and crossed with an Orc sword. It looks like a breast of Mordor armour is above it.

111. Sam has brass buttons on his vest coat. Frodo has a silky grey elvish-looking vest (double-breasted).

112. Sam still wears his elvish brooch clasped the opposite direction of everyone else.

113. Gandalf wears Narya openly at the Haven.

Elrond also can be seen with Vilya on his hand, and Galadriel with Nenya. - Dem.

114. C'rdan is standing behind Galadriel and Celeborn at the Havens.

115. *NEW* Is Pippin wearing tartan at the Grey Havens? PJ told Billy early on that the Tooks were Scots, which meant he could keep his native accent. Looks like he also donned some Scottish garb as well!

116. *NEW* Frodo's kiss on Sam's forehead mirrors Galadriel's kiss on his. Frodo is now ethereal and blesses Sam the way Galadriel blessed him.

117. After Frodo enters the ship and turns to his friends, his eyes lose their redness and his pale cheeks flush with the life he had at Bilbo's party. Our Frodo is back, without the shadows and pain.

118. The moment of Frodo smiling at the end before the ship departs is so very telling: Finally he is coming to peace; reassuring to his friends; he will be alright; he will miss them.

119. There's a little 3 sign on the door of Sam's house in Hobbiton.

120. Baby Gamgee is played by Maisie McLeod-Riera (Sarah McLeod's child)

121. The ending - ultimate geeky moment of them all: "Well I'm back." Exactly same last lines as in the book.

122. Return of the King simply finishes with the words, "The End" Poignant, and sad.

shadowy_blue

shadowy_blue

Kitoky
So what's the purpose of this thrad again? confused

Phoenix
But I don't want to get a life...

Camellia
Is that your own personal opinion or what they said on the website?

I don't think I want to get another life really, I am perfectly happy with the one I have at the moment.

And so what if we DID notice any of those things? It just shows that we are observant and appreciate the work and detail that has been put into these fantastic movies!

And yes, I DID notice several of the things mentioned!big grin

Exa
Thank new
some of these things were new to me; especially some of the comeos.

shadowy_blue
The get a life thing was from the website...I just copied everything...It's nothing personal..and yes..I've also noticed some of them...I just thought some of you might be interested that's why I posted it. Sorry.

Camellia
I wasn't meaning that there was no point in posting it because I'd noticed some of them, I was just laughing at myself because I had.

It's funny, it's got to the point where I no longer watch the film as a whole, but the different elements. Like, when I watch FotR, I always go "Oh, look! There was a cameo of Peter Jackson!"

No offence was meant, so I'm sorry if you took any!

Kitoky
I saw Christian Rivers (a Weta Workshop artist) in RotK, he was the un helmetted guard for the Beacon at Minas Tirith.

Exa
I dont remember if that was listed above, but one of the old women in minas tirith looked exactly the same as one in the glittering caves - is that somebody special?

Cowboyography
ALL THE DETAIL!!!!!! exactly why PJ should win best director!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.