oscar predictions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
whats everyones guesses on the nominees for this year?

I think it will probably be - shrek, AI, man who wasnt there, lord of the rings and if i had my way blow or monsters inc.

Machine
oscars suck it doesnt matter idont did a munch of retarded judges telling me who is better thn who

BackFire349
that wasnt my question.

Machine
damn! iam never right

ToMacco
Backfire, I don't think any of those movies will get nominated. Maybe AI, but I really doubt it. It got mixed reviews.

Most of the time, they relase the good movies right around Oscar time.

mah
To:
don't you think LOTR will get SEVERAL nominations.

TWTCommish
If "Shrek" is nominated, someone on the comittee is smoking crack, AND giving the other members a free puff. Great, great kid movie...not Best Picture material, though. "Monsters, Inc." was better. I think "A.I." might get a nomination...but it has no shot at winning, IMO...just too hated (I myself was quite annoyed with it). LOTR may indeed get a nomination...though I doubt it'll win. Aside from that, though, I imagine PJ will get a Best Director nod...though not the statue itself. I do think it's a cinch to beat out "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for "Best Adapted Screenplay." It's a shame, too, because Potter would have won most other years, I imagine. It was very well done.

ToMacco
Lord of the Rings will probably get nominations for special effects, or costumes; things like that. But it most likely won't get a Best Picture nomination.

The Oscars usually nominate more serious drama, and not so much fantasy. I'm not saying LOTR won't be dramatic, but it's different, you know?

"Life as a House" is the only movie I've seen with an "Oscar feel" to it. That movie was good, but it won't get nominated. Like I said, I think every movie that will be nominated hasn't been released yet.

JediOasis
From what I've heard the new Ewan McGregor movie, Black Hawk Down is supposed to clean up at the Oscars this year. But I would really like to see Johnny Depp get a nomination for his work in Blow.

ToMacco
Depp does get the shaft at the Oscars' doesn't he? He's damn good!

Ushgarak
Star Wars got a best picture nomination, so LOTR might, especially considering the mazingly positive critical reaction so far.

King Jedi
I've lost all faith in the Oscars since TPM hardly won a thing. Whether you like the film or not it should have won a lot more than it did. What did it win anyway? Was it just costume design?

I think Black Hawk Down will clean up.

TWTCommish
BHD won't clean up...early reviews seem bad. I don't see it winning too much. What it does win it will probably win just because it's a war movie.

yerssot
that's because the critics weren't that friendly for them!

King Jedi
I haven't seen a bad BHD review yet. And with everything that's going on, an American war film is going to be popular.

ToMacco
Gladiator won last year, so this year won't be a war picture. It will be something 'simpler'.

Lord of the Rings is a part of a trillogy, so I doubt it will get a nom. Star Wars did, but no-one knew it was part of a trillogy at the time.

mah
To:
you wanna bet about that LOTR nomination?

ToMacco
No mah, I don't.

One: I havn't seen the movie yet.

Two: The Oscars have a tendancy to do whatever the hell they want, wether the movie is good or bad. Gladiator won last year, for Christ sake sad .

I'm really hoping that Fellowship of the Ring is good, but Oscar calibur? That is a bold statement, my friend. Only time will tell.

mah
1: all reviews were good
+
2: it's a giant film
+
3: people are flocking to the the cinema to see it.

= oscar

ToMacco
People that I've talked to havn't like it, tough.

By your annalogy, Cast Away should have won best picture. It was the highest grossing picture of last year, it got very good reviews, and it wasn't nominated. It SHOULD have been, but wasn't.

Ushgarak
It's nomination is still a reasonable bet. And it being part of a trilogy is not relevant; there is no indication that oscars stay away from such films.

ToMacco
Sure there is.

Ushgarak
Like? They nominated Godfather when EVERYONE knew there was at least a sequel coming.

ToMacco
I don't think they did.

Ushgarak
Yes they did. They had only done half the book and said they could do more.

ToMacco
Ah, who cares?

Ushgarak
Well, do you think LOTR is more likely to be nominated now it got the Golden Globe nomination?

ToMacco
I don't know. It looks like "A Beatiful Mind" is the movie to beat this year. It's gotten the best reviews (that I've seen, anyway). Ron Howard has gotten the shaft at the Oscars in the past.

So, that is the only one I'm certain will get a nomination. That only leaves four open slots for the Oscars. I need to see it. But, my gut tells me Fellowship won't get nominated. That doesn't mean it's not a great movie.

My movie "Riding in Cars with Boys" didn't even get a nomination for comedy Golden Globe, so it is very unlikely it will get an Oscar nomination. I still think Steven Zahn will get nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

BackFire349
a beautiful mind looks like a combination of Pi and forrest gump, though im willing to be it will be worse then both of those.

ToMacco
I don't know. I've herd only good things about the movie.

BackFire349
what you hear about a movie means nothing....alot of bad movies have good hypes by the critics for some reason.

ToMacco
Fine. But I beleive "A Beautiful Mind" is the only sure Best Picture nomination right now.

BackFire349
i think it woulda been better if they got someone besides russel crowe to play the character, i mean, after seeing him in gladiator its hard to take him seriously in this kinda role.

BackFire349
but, on the other hand, jennifer connelly is in it, and if anyone can save that movie she can.

ToMacco
Have you ever seen "The Insider"? He was brilliant in that movie.

BackFire349
no actually i havent.

ToMacco
Go rent it. Right now. Go get in your car, and drive to the video store.

BackFire349
ill keep that in mind.

ToMacco
You'll never want to smoke after seeing it, let me tell you!

BackFire349
i dont wanna smoke anyways.

ToMacco
That's because you don't have any lips to put around the cigarette, scarface evil face

BackFire349
dude!! its leatherface!! please never confuse the 2 again!! mad

ToMacco
Leatherface? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre dude?

BackFire349
yes!! the god among horror villians!

ToMacco
What about the Blair Witch?

BackFire349
lol, well considering the fact that we never even saw her she's disqualified buddy. but the first blair witch does kick ass.

ToMacco
That's why I think it was so scary. Because imagination is far scarier than any hollywood masks.

But the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre was damn frightening.

BackFire349
yeah, so therefor she's not really a character, just a figmunt of youre imagination. and no one really knows if it was even a witch, it coulda been a bunch of hicks ****ing with the people in the tent.

BackFire349
but im talking about the slasher villians, like micheal myers jason and all of them.

ToMacco
Lepricahn?

Texas
The Texas Chainsaw massacare scarred me shitless!!
It didn't help living in Texas eek!

BackFire349
lol, theres no denying that he's a quality murderer...but he falls just short of leatherfaces standard.

ToMacco
Rocky Balboah would kick Leatherfaces ass!

BackFire349
no way

BackFire349
he'd punch leatherface and leatherface would be like "huh??" and just kill him and eat him.

ToMacco
You're probably right.

Backfire, where are you from, man?

BackFire349
southern california. right near Los Angeles.

ToMacco
I knew you were an American. You probably live by Dimmy.

BackFire349
who's dimmy.

ToMacco
Dim. She's from southern California, also. She's a regular.

Machine
you ****ing iar backfire you dont leave near LA your 80 miles away retard

ToMacco
So, the truth comes out!

BackFire349
actually its about 50 miles and i just said that because everyones familiar with the location of los angeles. and whats an iar?

ToMacco
You two are friends, arn't you?

BackFire349
yep

Machine
it a typo you fat feeding bastard im so sorry yeah yeah try to get yur way out of this one you iar (liar) if you want i can give you all his personal info so you may rape him and his dad

ToMacco
you bro's are wierd! roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire349
lol @ you trying to defend your simple thought.

ToMacco
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Machine
simple thought you must be laughing at your simple thought ohyeah huntington beach is near LA you puppy rapist

ToMacco
puppy rapiest? I fail to make the inteligent insult connection.

Machine
dont try to look for any thing intelligent in my writing

Ushgarak
It's a deal.

Meanwhile, anyone want to talk about the oscars at all?

ToMacco
Yeah, yeah. Keep this open.

Dim
Maybe we should talk about the Golden Globes..
I want someone to explain to me how they can nominate a movie if it's only been out for 2 days (I think...maybe it was less)

ToMacco
Or how about "A Beautiful Mind", which isn't even out yet!

FLIPMODE
Denzel Washington will win best actor for, "Training Day".

BackFire349
lmao at training day, that movie was funny as hell.

ToMacco
Denzel Washington will not win for Training Day.

Machine
training day is that movie with the black guys shooting each other?

King Jedi
Mah I could point you in the direction of a few really bad LOTR reviews if you like.

What about Moulin Rouge?

FLIPMODE
Yes he will ToMacco.

ToMacco
I'll bet you a thousand dollars he doesn't win Best Actor for Training Day.

Machine
nah i wont want to take your money from you tomacco.

mah
KJ:
when about 2 out of 100 reviews are bad, it's pretty safe to say that almost every review has been good, at least.

Texas
I think that the following movies will be nominated for best picture:

A Beautiful Mind
The Royal Tennenbaums
In the Bedroom
Monsters Ball
Black Hawk Down

Machine
i believe Blow should win best picture but i know it wont cause it has drug use in it ,such bullshit !

King Jedi
Tex of those films you mentioned I've only heard of Black Hawk Down and In The Bedroom.

ToMacco
I just saw The Royal Tenabouns today. I liked it. It could be up for Best Picture (but probably not).

King Jedi
What's it about?

ToMacco
Go to the "review" forum. I gave a tiny description and review there.

FLIPMODE
These were ToMacco's words to me almost exactly 3 months ago in the thread titled "Oscar Predictions"...*ahem* now you were saying?

I'll take my thousand in small bills please. big grin

WOOHOOO DENZEL WASHINGTON! I told you his performance was the Best. It's just unfortunate many people did'nt see this movie. I'ts really not your AVERAGE undercover cop movie. It's waaay better. The movie is Flawless, and you even catch yourself caring for Denzel's Character, but he's pretty much evil wrapped up in a socially positive package. Best performance of his career next to Malcom X. The DVD came out this Tuesday, I hope all who did'nt see it Pick this DVD up. I can say this, If you bought the Momento DVD, and liked it, then You'll LOVE this movie. Just because it's better than Momento, dont expect to see a backwards movie, just a better one.

ToMacco
Training Day wasn't a very good movie. I think Ethan Hawk was better in it than Washington.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.