Vanilla Sky

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Texas

BackFire349
i cant picture this movie being as good as requiem for a dream or american beauty.

Machine
the fact that they use popular actors is a gimmick to get more money i hate that chick thats crazy i try not to say her name cause i hate her so much

mah

ToMacco
I herd it was just terrible.

Texas
That's what all the critics are saying, but that's what they said about 2001 when it opened. Critics are full of shit roll eyes (sarcastic)

Go see it, make up your own mind.

If only too see Penelope Cruz's breasts wink

ToMacco
SOLD!! big grin

I do want to see it. I liked Cameron Crowes "Almost Famous", but I though "Jerry McGruire" was bad!!!!!

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Tom Cruise.

finti
who is in it?

TWTCommish
Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, and Penlope Cruz. It's a remake of "Open Your Eyes," a 1997 film, I believe. I haven't seen either, and certainly won't until "Vanilla Sky" comes out on video. I don't think critics are "full of sh*t," at least not in this case...maybe it's because I didn't like 2001 much, though (boring).

I don't like movies that mess with your head just for the sake of messing with your head. It ought to make some kind of sense.

ToMacco
That's true.

finti
hmmm Cameron Diaz big grin big grin evil face smile

Texas

ToMacco
You're in trouble Tex. Everyone I've talked to says it's a bad movie. Not looking good.

Dim
Actually I would put it this way..it was horribly depressing for most of the movie and I didn't want to sit though anymore..but when it all comes together you see that it's actually quite wonderful... laughing out loud I liked the creativity of it all..and it was so sad really.

ToMacco
I still think Tom Cruise is the most untalanted puke in the history of movies.

Dim
Yeah I don't really care much for Cruise myself....but his arrogance worked in this role..anyone else would have been too likeable. I thought Penelope Cruz did great..as did Jason Lee...nice to see him outside a Kevin Smith movie.

Texas
I hate Cruise also, but he was perfect for this part.

Dim, since your the only person, besides myself who has seen the movie.....Do you think that the entire movie was a Lucid Dream? I think it was, before the movie starts we hear Penelope Cruz say in Spanish "Open your eyes". We shouldn't be able to hear her because techincally she hasn't been introduced in the film, so maybe the 'rip' occurs before the movie starts.

What were your thoughts about the ending?

Dim
Actually I thought the ending made me finally feel good about what I was seeing..before that I was just getting pissed off... As for Penelope saying "Open your Eyes" I think that was a dream he was having along with Empty Times Square sequence..because if you remember he tells his doctor about it in prision about it...so that means he had the dream when he was in Lucid Dream.

Texas
That's a movie you have to watch atleast 2 times

I was shocked at all the negative reviews confused

ToMacco
Tex, reiviews don't mean a damn thing. Riding in Cars with Boys is the best movie I've seen this year, and it only got fair reviews. But everyone I've talked to that has seen it loves it.

Machine
do these people that agree with you about riding in cars with boys ,do they go to school in a short bus ,or wear hockey equipment even though they arent on the team ?

Texas
ToMacco: Your right about the review thing. I am going to stop reading reviews, they ruin the film in most cases. It's just better to go in with no preconceptions.

Machine
MY GOD I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!! top four movies of this year along with monsters inc ,blow, and LOTR's .vanilla sky has become one of my favorites of all time.i havent cried like that in a long time ,i cried so loud the people in front of me turned around ,an saw a big fat guy crying

Dim
Yeah, I know what you mean...I at one point wanted to leave..it had me that upset...I actually started muttering "I hate this &9*&#!@ movie" under my breath.. laughing out loud

Machine
LOL . im going to see it for my third time tommorrow ,its too good to late for it to buy

Texas
I told you it was good. Now maybe if we could get ToMacco to go see it.

Machine
when he does go he will be talking about it more then us ,he would love this movie .

Texas
Yup

I still dont understand all the negative reviews. I think some critics are just too stupid to understand the movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Machine
i watched it again today and i noticed something ,the entire soundtrack is amazing every song fits perfect. i cant stop crying for this movie i love it ,and the critics are idiots ,and too bad tomacco is listening to them and he cant get an opinion of his own ,even though homer j simpson and conan o brien have big parts in it ,i know you like them both tomacco

Texas

Machine
eah i thinkl it was one big lucid dram ,cause he created penelop cruz from that movie he has a poster of it in his bed room so he had to be in a dream ,or maybe the whle thing was a dream and the end was him waking remember penelope says open your eyes then it ends

Dim
As far as I can tell the Lucid Dream ends when finds Tech Support on the Rooftop..

Texas
So when we see his eye open at the end of the movie, we assume that he is waking up from Lucid dream. But if that's true, Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz would have really existed. But if you have the notion that the entire movie was a lucid dream, starting from the beginning of the movie when Penelope Cruz says open your eyes, you would assume that they dont really exist, and that he is not really waking up, just entering another Lucid Dream. Or something confused
Help me Machine!!!

Machine
ok im not postive if i can help you ,but i know for damn sure i can confuse the hell out of you. the exsitence of penelope cruz was explained by tech support in a aprevated fashion that tom wanted someone that was funny ,intelligent ,a great person ,and so on ... then they flash a clip of that movie with the spanish lady ,and she laughs then they show penelope laugh ,so penelope is a dream woman for tom(david) ,im not really sure where diaz fits into the lucid dream but im seeing it again soon and i WILL HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU MY SON ,iam detemened to get it figured out .

Texas
So do you think he actually 'wakes' up at the end?

Machine
Yes nto his real life not a 150 years ahead ,but thats just my way of thinking .i beleive its your chooose and cameron crowe wanted it to be like that i think?

remember that we are he veiwers like tech support said we make the chooses of what will happen remember david said have them read my mind and he looks at the camera ,like hes looking at us

Texas
I need to watch it again, and again, and maybe again. big grin

Ratcat
This movie is awesome, I saw it last night. The cast were perfect, Cameron Diaz as the crazed, scorned woman was perfect. Kurt Russell gave a superb performance. Cruise and Crus oozed chemistry throughout.

As for the twist, surreal, but perfectly plausible.

I love the way they made this film just enough in the future, without actually saying it was in the future.

I expected to see a run-of-the-mill love story, and in fact saw a movie that blue my mind away.

By the end I had run through 4 or 5 different explanations in my mind, and when the final twist was revealed non of them were that close to the actual.

Even then, once the explanation was in hand, you were still left guessing just when it all started roll. I, like very many I believe, got it totally wrong. And the truth of just exactly what he had done was suberb in it's execution.

Probably a film that doesn't stand up well to a second viewing though. Once you know the twists and turns it takes, a great deal of the mystery vanishes, though I am sure there are elements that take on new meaning in light of the final twists.

EXCELLENT!

Texas
Can you believe it received horrendous reviews here in the US!?!?
About 90% of the critics said to skip it roll eyes (sarcastic)
Idiots roll eyes (sarcastic)
I loved it! smile

Ushgarak
I know that Edna has told me it is terrible and never to watch it. Hmmm...

Texas
Oh, then you know it's gotta be good evil face

Dim
Well, it is rather depressing.

Ushgarak
Stupid, was the word she used.

Ratcat
It's actually extremely clever, IMVHO. I have found, so far, that the people I have spoken to, who didn' like it, generally didn't 'get' it. The whole premise was fantasic kind of a mix of Sliding Doors and Back to the Future, but on drugs... The real beauty is that the concept of the lucid dream does allow for anything to happen, which it did.

How many of the US critics were looking at his personal life, rather than the movie, when they wrote their review I wonder. Far from being stupid or depressing, I think it was more about how you can destroy yourself through guilt and how you can redeem yourself through self faith. He was given the option of the perfect life in the lucid dream, or the real life. It was a brave choice he made, in my opinion.

Ushgarak
Well, I wouldn't know.

Ah, my mistake. The word she used was 'silly'

Ratcat
Same principle applies....

Actually Ush, I get the feeling that you'd probably find it quite a good flik. IMHO-OC

It's a film that requires you to think, if you want to understand. It certainly requires a certain degree of mental dexterity if you're going to get anything out of it. Certainly Mandy and I found that it did stretch our minds and make us focus in order to follow the flow.

Ushgarak
I suspect I will like it as well.

Machine
does anyone know when this might be released on dvd?

BackFire349
my guess would be in the summer at some point.

mah
The critics here said that it tried to be smart, but was just sappy, with actors acting poorly. it got 1 point of 6 in Norways biggest newspaper, and about the same everywhere else.

Machine
im sick of critics ,all they do is go in to a movie with preassumtions and they try to keep their previous ideas of the movie (before they actually saw it)so they can give themselves this ego boost .movies dont need critics ,the people dont need critics ,if a movie interests you go see ,dont listen to a fat untalented waste of space person |hat tells you ,dont go see this ,go see this .make your own judgements . and the fact that a big newspaper says its a bad movie ,doesnt make it a bad movie ,i remember all the media saying 2001:aspace odyssey ,Dr.Strangelove and lolita were horrible movies ,and now they are known as some of the best films ever......0 give thm a decade and theyll reverse their judgement put on vanilla sky.

this is one of my favorite movies,i saw it 11 times before it was pulled from theaters i still want to see it again and again ,this is a movie i could watch hundreds of times ,every shot had meaning behide it ,this is movie where everyhing is great .and the fact that a few critics said it was bad started this rumor no to go see it (i hate that) is the soul reason vanilla sky isnt nominated for any acadmey awards(like the academy awards matter the people and movies that will win are only the most popular,not the most best of them just the most popular) .i cant wait till vanilla sky comes out .

mechmoggy
I'm with Dim on this film, half way through I wanted to get the hell out cus it was really depressing me. The twist at the end made it worth staying though. I'll buy it when it comes out but it's one to watch when your in a dark evil mood. evil face

Great soundtrack though and for those that saw it....do you rememeber the club scene with that really bangin' tune in the background? Well that was Leftfield and the name of the album is Rhythm & Stealth. smokin'

Machine
i love the soundtrack of the movie . i alsodsoundtrack version ,thought i ws disappointed that they dont put the song where hes running through the empty streets and the song in the club where the cool light show is going on and david (cruise) is waving his hand up in the air and that song in LE good vibrations if they would just add these songs to the cd version ,it would be awesome ,ike remak the cd to have like 20 songs instead of 16

Dim
I woudln't be suprised if they didlnt' release a 2volume complete soundtrack..something like that...at some point.

finti
oh man this movie sucked big time

Dim
explain please..

Ratcat
LIke I said before, I have heard this from a lot of people who just didn'y 'get' it.

The thing is, it isn't the movie you expect to see. You really need to have your brain switch on else you rapidly become confused.

As for teh soundtrack, yes, it was excellent.

DVD Releases - According to Play247.Com and Amazon.Com these have not been set yet.

I guess, as the film is still in most theatres, it's too early for that.

mah
let me quote a review of the film:

''This is the pretty-Cruise, the laughing-Cruise, victim-Cruise, the suffering Cruise, drunken-Cruise, killing Cruise, mask-Cruise.
All presented in a confused, confusing and totally incomprehensible package.
'Vanilla Sky' is a mess to puke of.''

Ratcat
Isn't that the point? Once the final twist in the plot is revealed, everything above is explained. It is clear that the reviewer didn't understand the twist at the end - IMHO.

mah
I can't really get myself to believe that all those who didn't like it didn't understand it, cause it is strange if all the ones who have film-viewing as a job understands less than a normal viewer.

Ratcat
Oh no, sorry, didn't mean to imply that at all. Just that the point of the movie is that it is a confused mess, but it's supposed to be that way.

finti
oh I got it alright, but I think it is a bloody weak story, I have even seen the Spanish version and it sucked too.

Ratcat
Now I feel isolated.... laughing out loud

mechmoggy
That's not a bad point, if the plot had been explained a little earlier then maybe they could have had some fun with this self created world he was in.

I still enjoyed it anyway. big grin

Myth
I just watched this for the first time. Its pretty good. Reminds me of Eternal Sunshine but Eternal Sunshine was better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.