How did TPM do?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
Opinions vary greatly...no surprise there.

How do you guys think TPM did...if compared to other movies?...compared to the OT?

What box office record did it set???? (granted they're prob broken by now)

ToMacco
The Phantom Menace didn't hold a candle to the original trillogy.

And it grossed the second in history, second only to Titanic.

Texas
TPM is #3 on the all time box office records, behind Titanic and ANH.
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/index.html

ToMacco
okay fine. I was wrong.

yerssot
wasn't bad, could be better though (I love SW!)

Ushgarak
Inflation adjusted, Gone with the Wind beats them all, of course.

It also had lots of speed records, but Potter broke them (though long-term Potter is doing less well), and now we have LOTR coming... tricky.

Remember, though, that TPM's speed records were all the more impressive because GL limited the amount of cinemas it was released at.

yerssot
let's get AOTC to the first place!

bigsef2
I have a feeling LOTR is going to break everything. I know im seeing it 12:01 tonight smile

King Jedi
I don't think it will.
But those Star Wars records will be broken soon anyway. Like Ush said, inflation doesn't get taken into account by most of those record keepers.

Does the amount of money something makes really matter?

yerssot
to see the popularity normally, but it's stupid, "Gone with the wind" is number one WITH inflation

Julie
Who cares about Gone With the WInd...Scarlet o'Hara is so annoying!!!!!!!......anyway, I think we can make AOTC better......than any movie made thus far in hist......who's with me?????

yerssot
no idea, haven't seen Gone with the Wind
I only know one quote:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

and that's because it caused a lot of commotion

Julie
A very memorable line....as for the rest of the 4 hour movie...don't bother seeing it.... it's just plain LONG.......

yerssot
4 hours??? eek!

then I better watch the OT!

Julie
Yes, a much better investment of time

But just for you I'll give you a synopsis of Gone with the Wind:
1. Scarlet marries about 3 diff guys....one killed in civil war...one killed aft civil war...and one tells her...he doesn't give a **** and leaves.

2. she has a daughter with Ret who breaks her neck riding a horse

3. Scarlet loves Ashley but he marries Melonie....

4. Her father goes insane.

5. It's a regular soap opera ...only 4 hrs long....and very drawn out. A good experience...everybody should spend 4 hours of their life watching GWTW.

ok....def not my fav roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
no? why not? big grin

Julie
let me count the ways roll eyes (sarcastic) ....one thousand and 3 reasons big grin

yerssot
hmm... I only get to one thousand and 1 reason...

Julie
count 'em again big grin ....you must have missed the other 2

yerssot
no still the same amount...
can you give your reasons so I can see?

King Jedi
Is anyone suprised LOTR only made half of what Harry Potter did in it's first few days?

Back on topic. TPM has slipped down to no3 in my favourite SW movies. Not because I think any less of it, it's just because ANH gets better everytime I watch it. smile

yerssot
and ESB or RotJ is second?

King Jedi
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. TPM
4. ROTJ

yerssot
woohoo RotJ as last big grin

Ushgarak
My list exactly...

Harry Potter had a strange 'bulge' for its sales, though. It dropped off amazingly fast, compared to its opening.

yerssot
hyped and then when friends told others that the movie wasn't good, they didn't watched it

King Jedi
It was good. So was LOTR. This has been a great year for films. Next year will be even better. evil face

yerssot
nah nah nah nah nah Cloners cloners cloners...

King Jedi
They attack on May 16th!!!!!! big grin

LanceWindu
I can't wait till the Clones attack.

yerssot
you slowed them down, they attack on the 17th here smile

Julie
sad ...poor Yerssot....are you seeing it on the 1st day it comes out?

yerssot

mah
ssshh

LanceWindu
I'm most likely not going to be able to watch AOTC til it's been out for a week or two. It's kinda hard to get in when the lines are really long.

yerssot

LanceWindu
That would be nice. If I worked at a movie theater at the time I could get in for free.

yerssot
you just gave me an excellent idea! I'm going to work as popcorn-holder!

LaurenE147
I resent those Gone With the Wind comments. That was my favorite movie before I saw Star Wars. Scarlett O'Hara is the greatest heroine in movie history. She did what she had to do to save her family and her home.

Ushgarak
Let's leave that sort of thing for the movie areas, please.

yerssot
who said that (s)he had 1003 reasons to hate that movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.