DVD or not DVD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Aaaah, I've been thinking of purrr-chasing one these for a while but my biggest fear is being Mr.Betamax man. I think the format has a good foot-hold now but I have heard something about another "better" format coming out next year.

You lot across "the pond" will probably know more so spill the beans.... big grin

yerssot
beans? I have a lollipop!

finti
To many DVD`s already sold with this format, the consumers will never accept yet another format for at least 15-20 years. Remeber dvd also fit PC`s

yerssot
make it 10 years...

Texas
I am shocked, appalled and dismayed that you have held off your DVD purchase for this long!*shakes finger* You dont know what your missin! It's amazing!!! I doubt that DVD will be the hot shit for 15-20 years, maybe 10 at the most. Those Japannessee people are just too smart!! cool

mah
I've just gotten a DVD-player, and I must say, it's worth it. the picture quality is far better, it's good to be able to jump to whatever chapters, if there's a movie you like it's very nice to see behinf the scenes, interviews etc. now, the price on DVD's are sinking so go out and buy it!

yerssot
think this way (like mah said)
you don't like the podrace? SKIP IT smile

King Jedi
The new format in really just a new type of machine. The new DVD will be able to record and they'll eventually replace video recorders. I saw one the a few weeks ago but they shouldn't be widley available for about 4 years.

You'll still be able to play your DVD movies on them.
I'd definatley by a DVD player if I was you.

Ushgarak
Yup, DVD gets a 'yay' from me

ToMacco
Yeah but it's really expensive. DVD's are $18-30 each. And to rent they cost $5.

mah

Texas
I've also noticed that the different movie studios each have their own quality of DVD. (Special features, interactive menus, etc) WB usually makes the best, Paramount the worst.

My dad bought a new TV for the Living room, and he wants to get a new DVD player that is component video compatable (It's better than S-Video). So I'll be looking for good deals after Christmas cool

Ratcat
The newer DVD's will also be able to play the new Enhanced CD format with 5.1 DTS which won't play on a regular DVD or CD player.

ToMacco
I havn't read my DVD instruction manuel, so maybe it's in there, but I have this problem.

When I choose the widescreen option, the black bars don't appear at the top. The screen gets thinner, you know? I think widescreen is only formatted for widescreen TVs. Does anyone know how I can get around this madness? It makes me angry, dammit! mad

finti
widescreen is only formated for widescreen TV`s and you canot get around that problem To

Ratcat
Huh?????

I watch WS on my standard TV with black bars top and bottom with no problems.

finti
yeah you might get it to look like widescreen, but it is still not the perfect formate for it. The picture on a widescreen tv is so much better than of an ordinary tv. The perfect picture for widescreen on a dvd needs a widescreen tv.
I can also watch widescreen on my tv, with black bars on top and bottom, but compare with my friends WS tv . It is like day and night.
What I meant was there is no way you can make your DVD get as good WS picture on an ordinary tv as it would be on a WS tv.

Just bought a new tv and the salesman really wanted me to buy a WS tv which I wouldnt have. He used some of the arguments I have above, and I have experiensed his point. I wanted a 100hz tv because of the upencomming digitalisation of my cable operator
so I didnt chose a WS tv.
If you only looking for the black bars To, read the manual, but it cant compare with what you get on a WS tv.

To put it simple on an ordinary tv you get the black bars which means the picture will not fill out the entire screen.
A ws tv looses the black bars

Ratcat
Oh, got ya, I see what you mean. Yes, the picture on a proper WS is much better I agree.

To, as a hint, you might also need to enable 'Letterbox Mod' or 'WS Mode' on your TV.

I had this problem with a couple of full WS DVD's. notable the Mummy and Mummy Returns where I had to set WS on both the TV and DVD because it was in 2.35:1 format (or somthing like that)

mechmoggy
I think the biggest reason I have held out on buying a DVD is that I want a PS2 so that I get the best of both worlds. I was gonna have a PS2 for Xmas from Mrs.MM but I'm gonna wait until the X-box comes out to see the effect on price.

finti
Yeah I want a PS2 as well, Monika just asks how old I am, 13 or 33 big grin

mechmoggy
Us boys get older and our toys just become more expensive. big grin

mah
if you want to get a PS2 to play playstation games you can buy it, but for heavens sake not for the DVD-player! It's 4 times worse than the cheapest DVD-players!

Ratcat
Hmmm, not sure about that.

My Brother has a PS2 and he bought a surround sound 5.1 Dolby Speaker system and scarted up all the connections and he get's great quality audio and visual.

Just as good as I get from my Sony DVD player.

mah
from what I have seen the picture-disturbance is quite bad, the colors are not very sharp and what is a fact is that user-friendliness is non-excisting.

Ratcat
Off the RF the picture was dodgy, but through SCART it seems just fine.

The addition of a good third party remote helps, they have all the normal functions covered so that helps with the user friendliness.

ToMacco
Well, thanks for the advice, you all.

I'm 22, and I still have and interest in video games. They still make really childish games, but they also make games that are aimed at us old farts.

Ratcat
Hey! Prowd Owner of a GBA and an extensive collection of games for the PC and N64.

And a real old fart at 33.... big grin

ToMacco
RatCat, how many games do you have for N64? I have a REAL hard time finding buyable games for it. I've got both Zelda's, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Rouge Squadren, Podracer and Waverace. What else is good?

mah
perfect dark is the best game on N64 except zelda. period.

jedi212guy
For a group of people, Mario Cart and Super Smash Brothers are quite fun as well.

Ratcat
Only have 8 or 9 N64 games. Most of mine (400+) games are for the PC.

Perfect Dark is my favorite game on the N64, Shadows of the Empire is pretty cool and Virtual Rally is OK, but awkward without a wheel.

Fav on the PC right now is Alien V Predator 2, VERY atmospheric and scary.

Looking forward to getting Return to Castle Walfenstien and Flight Sim 2002 Pro for Crimble.

yerssot
I heared that Return to Castle Wolfenstein (single player) was pretty boring after a while: running in one direction, and shooting those who are firing at you

the multiplayer was better

ToMacco
I forgot about James Bond for N64. Those are pretty good games.

Ratcat
That's why I have this kick arse P4 system with a nice ADSL line all the jollies. big grin

Also, FlightSim 2002 has online, Interactive ATC and weather. Haven't used FS since version 98 so looking forward to that too.

Ushgarak
AVP2- enough of an improvement, do you think, RC? Not quite as tense now you can save all the time. And I know the disc was too good in the original but it is abit too rubbish now...

Texas
For my N64 I have:
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Rogue Squadron
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye
Mario 64
Donkey Kong
Killer Instinct
Both Zeldas
Nagano Olympic Hockey

For my Gamecube:
Rogue Leader smokin'

ToMacco
How's Rouge Leader?

finti
a litle reckless I presume big grin

Texas
Graphics are amazing, sound is beyond belief! Levels are a little too easy, but you have to get points to access secret levels, and that's hard, so that's what I'm doing now. It's very interactive, you can tell the people what to do. I cant wait till Nintento starts releasing the really good games over the summer and into late next year! smokin'

ToMacco
I'll buy GameCube when they release a Zelda for it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.